An open letter to Dice. Some of us have legitimately lost all trust & faith in you...

Comments

• LFCFOREVER86p
    5 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    This is the last BF game I will purchase. It's an abomination of a game. So many things wrong with the game, too long to list and I really can't be bothered to list them.
  • Niick1402
    76 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    I've com to realize through reading and watching vids that it's EA that is mainly at fault for all our unhappiness. Dice, had to put this game out before it was finished and now are constantly playing catch up and fixing ****.

Lack of maps is my main gripe, and I have feeling EA is behind that as well. Making maps is the most time consuming part of making a game, and demands lots or resources, which means $$$. They tried to make this game on the cheap and charged full price for it.

You need to realize that whatever is said in a video or what you read is (alot of the time) just pure speculation based on nothing. Often it's also straight up bullsh*t that is incorrect. Take for example the guy a few posts up that says ea is providing improper severs for the game, it's simply wrong. Myself and many others don't have any server problems. I also am unhappy with the amount of maps but EA doesn't get involved in the creative aspect of the game, they also said they're investing heavily in the future of BFV. They said so in a .pdf they publish for shareholders wich was a report about EA company performance and future plans, atleast as far as i remember. It's always EA's fault because of their questionable reputation, i guess.
    TuskenAdz wrote: »
    Of course it's just a game. That's not the point.

It's almost as if there's one top exec there whose the king of bad decisions that everybody is afraid to say 'Jorgen.. that's a stupid idea' for fear of losing their gig.

Been thinking that myself actually. Some moron from EA fresh out of business school calling the shots despite only using a computer for share trading with daddy's money. Can only see dollar signs. Damn shame.. If there is someone like that throw them back into the pit of hell they crawled out of FFS before we loose DICE and Battlefield.

Seems plausible that someone fresh out of business school who's trading shares with daddy's money is managing the 2nd most sold product(fifa=1) of EA(a publisher), a company worth billions of dollars and is telling DICE (the developer) how to do their job and nobody dares to say something about it for fear of being fired. I can't see any reason why this isn't the case. If only Sweden(DICE location) had labour unions or some laws that protect employees this situation you describe would have never happend. I guess their long sitting left government doesn't like those things.
  • Mann68heim
    29 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited March 30
    DJTN1 wrote: »
    I get you dude. I read your "wall-of-text" and I certainly understand your frustration but I think you're under the misconception that you, the customer, are a priority. You're not. Shareholders are. The ones who make the big decisions are only concerned with shareholders. To them you are one of many and easily replaceable with a well done video trailer and a deceiving marketing plan. They will continue to milk the community for everything it has and when it all runs out they'll blame the studio, close it and come out with a new game or ip from another studio. They we're disappointed they sold only 7 million copies of BFV and considered it a failure. They don't want more money, they want ALL the money. It is the world and times we live in.

That is definitely one of the most intelligent comments i read on all BF V forums so far. Very good understanding of the market + and valuable background information of how things work in the gaming industry.

But also: it's the customer's responsibility to understand that his wallet is POWER!
  • Kattegat_Twin
    758 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Lt-Rapido wrote: »
    Is there a tl,dr version?
    I surely agree with your title. Not gonna read all that tho.

What's wrong with people? It's not that long a passage. True, the fact that this forum doesn't apply paragraph spacing is really stupid, but still, the requests for a TL;DR (and when people use that term, notice that it's the only time they ever use semi-colons) everywhere these days are ridiculous. Can kids not read for longer than a few seconds? Expecting people to summarise their posts because you're too lazy too do a small bit of reading is silly.
  • Soulbreeze
    352 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    It's telling that when I got on to play BF5 last night, my entire clan was playing on our BF1 server. A few of us moved over to 5 for an hour or so, but on any given night half our guys are on BF1. Several of them won't even play 5.
  • ragnarok013
    2934 postsMember, Moderator, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Moderator
    Mann68heim wrote: »
    MiMiMi everywhere, really guys ... it's a game. Get on with life or maybe get a life.

They know what they did wrong, they will fix some things, break others and eventually BF V will become decent in
    a year or so. Same story with almost every BF game so far.

Just relax.. IT'S A GAME :smiley:

@Mann68heim there's no need to be so combative as it only leads to a circle of baiting\flaming and trolling and ultimately thread closures and account infractions.
  • ragnarok013
    2934 postsMember, Moderator, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Moderator
    Soulbreeze wrote: »
    It's telling that when I got on to play BF5 last night, my entire clan was playing on our BF1 server. A few of us moved over to 5 for an hour or so, but on any given night half our guys are on BF1. Several of them won't even play 5.

@Soulbreeze I've seen this myself, but is it BF5's gameplay that is keeping your clan mates in BF1 or the fact that you have a clan server that you can control via RSP?
  • TuskenAdz
    9 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member

I'm in the same boat. I don't mind, because once the initial vibe of new content in BFV died off... BF1 is still great. And it's got a lot more content coz it's been around longer and had all the DLC etc. But I'm literally the only one in a group of about a dozen who dudes I frequently play with that bought BFV. All of us had BF4. We played the heck out of that. About half dropped off and didn't get BF1. That's a massive drop in sales if you average it out. 50% from BF4, and then 20% of that 50% from BF1. I'm sure it's not that drastic a drop in actual sales... but I'd be curious what the sales in the real world were from BF3 on...and whether it reflects something similar.
  • TuskenAdz
    9 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Just googled it...
    As far as 'highest selling games for the year go... it looks like this.

2011: Battlefield 3 -No. 4 (15 million)
    2013: Battlefield 4 - No. 4 (13.8 million)
    2015: Battlefield: Hardline -No. 10 (4.1 million)
    2016: Battlefield 1 -No. 2 (25 million)
    2018: Battlefield V -No. 14 (7.3 million)

So while not exactly in line with what I've witnessed personally... still pretty telling. I'm actually surprised 3&4 had half the sales of BF1 considering they were both arguably better games. But that's kinda how it should work. Everybody remembers how much they loved the last one & gets the next one... plus word of mouth & recommendations etc. mean more people jump on board. Also... Hardline probably did a lot of damage to faith in the brand. A lot of BF1's sales would have been from loyalty and people's expectations based on previous games. The drop from 25 million to 7 million for BFV is incredible though. It's indicative of a few things. It shows how many people didn't love BF1 perhaps as much as they thought they would, and probably had other, newer games and more options that interested them as opposed to 'more of the same' (which it did kinda look like it would be based on the marketing). It likely reflects there were quite a few 'boycotters' that followed through after the Battlefront loot box and BFV 'don't like it, don't buy it' drama.
    More than anything... it shows you that Dice don't seem very good at listening to what their player base wants. They prefer to do what they want and tell their customers they can like it or leave it. Hopefully they'll figure out that their fans will (and did, apparently) leave it , before they're left in the dust by other devs who do listen, & not become extinct.
  • Soulbreeze
    352 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member

@Soulbreeze I've seen this myself, but is it BF5's gameplay that is keeping your clan mates in BF1 or the fact that you have a clan server that you can control via RSP?

Mostly it's not having a server we can control as many members have 0 faith in Dice's anti cheat.
  • GRAW2ROBZ
    1300 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Just googled it...
    As far as 'highest selling games for the year go... it looks like this.

2011: Battlefield 3 -No. 4 (15 million)
    2013: Battlefield 4 - No. 4 (13.8 million)
    2015: Battlefield: Hardline -No. 10 (4.1 million)
    2016: Battlefield 1 -No. 2 (25 million)
    2018: Battlefield V -No. 14 (7.3 million)

So while not exactly in line with what I've witnessed personally... still pretty telling. I'm actually surprised 3&4 had half the sales of BF1 considering they were both arguably better games. But that's kinda how it should work. Everybody remembers how much they loved the last one & gets the next one... plus word of mouth & recommendations etc. mean more people jump on board. Also... Hardline probably did a lot of damage to faith in the brand. A lot of BF1's sales would have been from loyalty and people's expectations based on previous games. The drop from 25 million to 7 million for BFV is incredible though. It's indicative of a few things. It shows how many people didn't love BF1 perhaps as much as they thought they would, and probably had other, newer games and more options that interested them as opposed to 'more of the same' (which it did kinda look like it would be based on the marketing). It likely reflects there were quite a few 'boycotters' that followed through after the Battlefront loot box and BFV 'don't like it, don't buy it' drama.
    More than anything... it shows you that Dice don't seem very good at listening to what their player base wants. They prefer to do what they want and tell their customers they can like it or leave it. Hopefully they'll figure out that their fans will (and did, apparently) leave it , before they're left in the dust by other devs who do listen, & not become extinct.

Curious what the sales are for Bad Company 2. Also Hardline could of did better. But was released at a bad time. Rockstar re-released GTA5 around a little bit after Hardline for XBOX1/PS4. So more less anyone on the fence thinking of buying cops and robbers Hardline. Picked up GTA5 instead.
  • MAJWolfcookies
    556 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    edited March 30
    What's even more telling is how peak player counts crashed for BF1 compared to BF4. BF4 currently has more active players than BF1. I still play and love BF4. BF1 was an absolute joke!!!
  • DJTN1
    306 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    DJTN1 wrote: »
    I get you dude. I read your "wall-of-text" and I certainly understand your frustration but I think you're under the misconception that you, the customer, are a priority. You're not. Shareholders are. The ones who make the big decisions are only concerned with shareholders. To them you are one of many and easily replaceable with a well done video trailer and a deceiving marketing plan. They will continue to milk the community for everything it has and when it all runs out they'll blame the studio, close it and come out with a new game or ip from another studio. They we're disappointed they sold only 7 million copies of BFV and considered it a failure. They don't want more money, they want ALL the money. It is the world and times we live in.

The problem with this theory though is, the concern for the shareholders should actually work in our favor. Shareholders wanted EA to get the Star Wars license and for them to make a game that sells a ton. They want each Battlefield to sell better than the last. 'Growth' and all that good stuff. Less people happy mean less sales mean unhappy shareholders. Good god... all these guys have to do is look at the competition. The Fortnite guys get it. They've spoiled their fans (& other devs probably hate them for it). Every week there's some little addition or change that keeps things fresh. Every 3 months a major refresh. And you only have to pay if you feel like it. Because there's so many happy li'l gamers, there's never any wait time to get into a game. And it's always great ping.
    Tonight I had around 5 FS games and gave up. Only one was on a local server. A few times searching for a game and disconnecting. The last game was a couple of minutes just to squad up but then FIVE minutes to find a game. By the time boots are on ground... 10 minutes. Only to have a guy walk through my rocket and knife me soon as I landed (obviously due to lag).
    I'd had enough. Straight into Apex and playing instantly on local servers with no hassles. Enjoying my weekend nights entertainment and 'having fun' rather than tearing my hair out and swearing at my console. I kinda feel guilty Dice has my money and the Apex guys don't.
    Dice need to poach some matchmaking/network guys from ANY of the other companies. Every single other dev does that stuff WAY better.
    The most frustrating part of all this is, despite what a lot of guys say on here, a lot of these changes wouldn't be difficult. Putting FS in the server browser would be an insignificant amount of work. Giving Battlefront 2 a server browser would be simple. All the work is already done in BFV. Adding private matches... already in the previous games. The work is done. No... this is something else. This kinda resistance to make simple changes and improve their games...to look at what the competition are doing successfully & make their customers happy and sell more games. The fact they will not listen and adapt is actually bizarre.

Growth, people and money are not infinite objects. The system as a whole is flawed in my eyes. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see BF is becoming more like Call of Duty and now Fortnite. The reason for this is because those games sell more than BF. Your fun or gaming experience has little to nothing to do with those decisions. BF has always been about the immersion of war... big intense war on the battle field with tanks, planes, big maps, high player counts, exceptional graphics and some of the best sound design ever in a game. The immersion is so great that a lot of us hard-core BF fans have been willing to overlook rediculus bugs, bad launches and a horrible UI. But all that greatness has become lost in their quest for trying to make more money by turning BF into these other games. It doesn't make sense to me that EA as a publisher, has 2 battle royal games competing with each other. They should have let Apex do its thing and BF V should have built upon the things that have made BF great. There is room for financial growth with cosmetic micro transactions but again, they don't want more money, they want ALL the money.
  • Stahlmach
    1156 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member

Not him but i can answer that for me and my friends. It was the gameplay that drove us away and we wouldnt come back even if BF V would now get RSP.
    We now switched full back to " Rocket League " and these days also to " The Divison 2 " when it comes to Online Games that we play together.
  • GRAW2ROBZ
    1300 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    What's even more telling is how peak player counts crashed for BF1 compared to BF4. BF4 currently has more active players than BF1. I still play and love BF4. BF1 was an absolute joke!!!

I think it helps the core game of BF4 goes on sale often for like $10. $20 for premium included. Same with Hardline. So the community get re-populated with Christmas noobs every couple months. But I dont miss locker/metro 24/7 servers with like a million tickets. That burns ya out fast. I rather play the premium dlc with boats or that last map I cant remember what it was called but was cool.
  • misisipiRivrRat
    807 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Sixclicks wrote: »
    I thought BF1 was great. It's one of my favorite BF titles. It has some issues too, and I really hated some of the changes they made later in the game and the lack of quality rental servers, but overall it was a good game and well worth the money I spent.

I've played every BF game since BF2 except for Hardline.

BFV is so lacking in weapon and class balance and content that I just can't play it anymore. I haven't played in about 8 weeks now. I still keep up with the game here in hopes that'll improve, but I'm very doubtful it will much at this point.

Everything they add lately just seems to be "too little, too late."

I'll probably return to the game at some point, but I don't know when that'll be or how long it'll last.

Gaming is a hobby that I greatly enjoy. I remember tiring of COD at one point and trying bfbc2. Oh man, from the first kill when I took out a heli pilot ( damn lucky shot ) in that game I was hooked. The destruction and sounds were awesome. I really wish I had come into bfbc2 earlier but I still had a great time. Loved bf3 and bf4. Bf1 not as much but still had fun. Bf5? Just a pain to play for me. Got barely 40 hours in and I've had it since launch. Prior bf's I'd have 100-150 hours played by now if not more.
  • herodes87
    1266 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Problem is BFV failed right from the start.

Bad decisions at the development (No iconic Battles, Just 2 Factions, Attriction system, Bad Map Design Like Fjell, wrong priorities Like Firestorm and Combined Arms). Remove of Premium.

Bad Marketing Like the reveal Trailer and acting Like "These fools will buy it anyway", sitting on the high horse.

Crap Release with Bugs and cutted Content that was announced.

Not releasing much new Content and Just Recycling BF1 guns. No new Maps until May. Setting wrong priorities.

Sorry If i Look at the Numbers compared to BF3 and 4 it failed even harder. Only Hardline was worst.
  • Sixclicks
    5073 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited March 30
    Sixclicks wrote: »
    I thought BF1 was great. It's one of my favorite BF titles. It has some issues too, and I really hated some of the changes they made later in the game and the lack of quality rental servers, but overall it was a good game and well worth the money I spent.

I've played every BF game since BF2 except for Hardline.

BFV is so lacking in weapon and class balance and content that I just can't play it anymore. I haven't played in about 8 weeks now. I still keep up with the game here in hopes that'll improve, but I'm very doubtful it will much at this point.

Everything they add lately just seems to be "too little, too late."

I'll probably return to the game at some point, but I don't know when that'll be or how long it'll last.

Gaming is a hobby that I greatly enjoy. I remember tiring of COD at one point and trying bfbc2. Oh man, from the first kill when I took out a heli pilot ( damn lucky shot ) in that game I was hooked. The destruction and sounds were awesome. I really wish I had come into bfbc2 earlier but I still had a great time. Loved bf3 and bf4. Bf1 not as much but still had fun. Bf5? Just a pain to play for me. Got barely 40 hours in and I've had it since launch. Prior bf's I'd have 100-150 hours played by now if not more.

I've got 59 hours in BFV. I think I gave it more than enough of a chance with that time. And sometimes it was fun, but overall it's just become boring and more frustrating than fun most of the time.

In BF1 I played for 376 hours.

I can't really give an accurate count for BF3 and BF4 because I played over multiple accounts (my PC account, my Xbox account, and a roomate's Xbox account). But, on my PC account alone, I've got 122 hours in BF3 (most of my time was on my roomate's account which I don't have access to). And in BF4 my PC account is at 152.5 hours. I'd estimate I played each for at least 300 hours.

And who knows... maybe BFV will become much better, I'll come back to the game, and actually enjoy it and play it for much longer. But I'm skeptical that will happen at this point. It seems too late for recovery. Especially after seeing the recently released roadmap detailing their plan for most of the rest of this year.
  • TuskenAdz

Ah, that's interesting. And of course, just as important (if not more) than just sales figures. 'How many people kept playing... and for how long'. Coz Battlefront would have sold a ton... but lost it's player numbers rapidly.
    I had no idea BF4 had more players than BF1. Makes sense tho...
    See? That's another thing. Dice would know that. And if they could be bothered, it would take no time at all to turn up a couple of graphics settings for the Pro & X users and create some good will. But their priorities are all outta whack. I still think it's crazy they keep cranking out content in Battlefront 2 that nobody sees rather than fixing the issues that stop people playing. I've literally loaded the game and waited til it throws me in a new map with an empty lobby just to roam around and see the work they've put into it... only to never actually play on that map.