Buff the Lee Enfield?

M_Rat13
1505 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
Is it too much to ask to buff the Lee Enfield, preferably in terms of bullet velocity. It's currently, IMO, not just the worst recon weapon, but the worst gun, in the entire game.

Comments

• GP-Caliber
    651 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    I think they can adjust the velocity but they have to adjust the velocity for all the sniper rifles. and no its not the worst recon gun, that is one of the slr's or the kar98.
  • mf_shro0m
    2348 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Yeh they should buff the velocities of all the sniper rifles to their real life values
  • Dr_X2345
    774 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Bullet velocities need increasing on the snipers, for sure.
    I don't think the Enfield is too underpowered though - obviously it's not as good at range as, say, the Krag-Jørgenson or the Gewehr M95, but stick a 3x scope on it and you can be a little more aggressive with its relatively quick RoF. You can even leave it on iron sights and play at close range, but you're likely going to be at a disadvantage so don't expect to do quite as well as other classes at that range.
  • mf_shro0m
    2348 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Dr_X2345 wrote: »
    I don't think the Enfield is too underpowered though - obviously it's not as good at range as, say, the Krag-Jørgenson or the Gewehr M95, but stick a 3x scope on it and you can be a little more aggressive with its relatively quick RoF. You can even leave it on iron sights and play at close range, but you're likely going to be at a disadvantage so don't expect to do quite as well as other classes at that range.

I get why the Enfield has such a particularly low bullet velocity but 400m/S is too harsh.
  • Gravlar_SN9
    267 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    GP-Caliber wrote: »
    I think they can adjust the velocity but they have to adjust the velocity for all the sniper rifles. and no its not the worst recon gun, that is one of the slr's or the kar98.

SLRs I understand, but the Kar98 is a headshot machine.
  • M_Rat13
    1505 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member

3x I use Ross and M95. I use 6x on Krag and 98k, because they have the highest bullet velocity. Honestly, the I can only use irons of the Enfield becuase the other sights are too strong for it, people can just ADAD spam to dodge it's bullets at scoped ranges, even 3x. I'm fine with every other BA rifle, except the Enfield. I doubt it's just me.
  • von_Campenstein
    6621 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    Bullet velocity or rate of fire.
  • M_Rat13
    Sixclicks wrote: »
    The velocities of all bolt actions should be increased. It's absolutely pathetic that the Lee-Enfield in particular has a velocity stat equal to that of an SMG that fires a 9mm round. Realistic velocities is one thing BF1 definitely got right.

I also personally think bolt actions should do more damage to the chest at close ranges.

The M95 does, and I think that's why it's one of my favourite BA rifles. 80 damage I think it is isn't bad when attrition gets thrown into the mix.
  • Noodlesocks
    3631 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    They need to fix the bolt animation. The Enfield was designed so the user wouldn't have to move the gun away from his face to work the bolt. It was designed to allow the user to maintain vision on the sights when working the bolt. This is what allowed the gun to be fired so quickly and accurately. The animation they have in game negates one of the biggest advantages the Enfield had over other rifles.

I would also love if they increased hipfire accuracy for all bolt action rifles when using iron sights so that they're in line with every other gun in the game.

If not that then replace zeroing with bipod. The Enfield rate of fire and the hip fire accuracy when using bipod would also improve its viability significantly.
  • mf_shro0m
    They need to fix the bolt animation. The Enfield was designed so the user wouldn't have to move the gun away from his face to work the bolt. It was designed to allow the user to maintain vision on the sights when working the bolt. This is what allowed the gun to be fired so quickly and accurately. The animation they have in game negates one of the biggest advantages the Enfield had over other rifles.

I would also love if they increased hipfire accuracy for all bolt action rifles when using iron sights so that they're in line with every other gun in the game.

If not that then replace zeroing with bipod. The Enfield rate of fire and the hip fire accuracy when using bipod would also improve its viability significantly.

The reason all of the bolt-actions need to be unscoped to load the next round is because too many people complain about getting killed by one of the dozen aiming at them at any one time

Tbh they should’ve made the Enfield the prestige/lvl 20 unlock and done it justice. Instead, they made it the starting recon gun for no good reason and made it fittingly bad. It’s ridiculous

I’m conflicted about improving the hip fire accuracy of the bolt-actions too much as then we might end up with people getting no scope headshots with them. That’d let them stand a chance at close range but it’d look ridiculous
  • Noodlesocks
    3631 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited April 2019
    y_j_es_i wrote: »

The reason all of the bolt-actions need to be unscoped to load the next round is because too many people complain about getting killed by one of the dozen aiming at them at any one time

Tbh they should’ve made the Enfield the prestige/lvl 20 unlock and done it justice. Instead, they made it the starting recon gun for no good reason and made it fittingly bad. It’s ridiculous

I’m conflicted about improving the hip fire accuracy of the bolt-actions too much as then we might end up with people getting no scope headshots with them. That’d let them stand a chance at close range but it’d look ridiculous

When using iron sights, you don't have to toggle ADS.

Headshotting with a bolt action rifle with hip fire would be no more ridiculous than hip firing with a bren gun or G43. Take off the scope and it's just a regular gun. It should behave as such.
  • mf_shro0m

When using iron sights, you don't have to toggle ADS.

Headshotting with a bolt action rifle with hip fire would be no more ridiculous than hip firing with a bren gun or G43. Take off the scope and it's just a regular gun. It should behave as such.

I know, I meant for when you’re using scopes. I’m pretty sure you could reload Enfields without moving your eye from the scope

The difference is that the bolt-actions are OhK to the head. I’m sure that even with a reticle the size of the STG’s noscope headshotting would be hard but people will still complain about getting OHKed from a metre away
  • GP-Caliber
    651 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member

SLRs I understand, but the Kar98 is a headshot machine.

for me it is the worst bolt action for aggressive. the rof is to slow and the krag has the same velocity and a faster rof and also 1 extra bullet. This imo makes the kar98 the worst bolt action.
  • xKusagamix
    1184 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Bullet velocity should be buffed for all Recon's primary weapons, having SARs that have faster bullet velocity than Recon's BARs is just dumb.
  • GP-Caliber
    xKusagamix wrote: »
    Bullet velocity should be buffed for all Recon's primary weapons, having SARs that have faster bullet velocity than Recon's BARs is just dumb.

this is true.
  • GP-Caliber

I get why the Enfield has such a particularly low bullet velocity but 400m/S is too harsh.

isnt it 500?
  • mf_shro0m

isnt it 500?

Could be. It’s equal to an SMG or two either way
  • crabman169
    12848 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Should have higher minimum damage model and buffing of its muzzle velocity would be nice.

Shame recon class got such a hammer cos assault plebs cried that they stopped their little montages
  • One_Called_Kane
    194 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    While the velocities in some cases need to be adjusted the main issue here isn't velocity, it's drag. Or rather the way drag is being interpreted in this game. Snipers would be issued rounds tailored to have a low drag coefficient thus retaining high energy and killing potential at greater distances than common infantry rounds. This chart shows what I'm talking about, albeit with a modern round. Note how quickly the velocity and energy of the lighter round falls off compared to the heavier rounds.

Battlefield does assume the bolt action rifles are using a heavier, more damaging round than their MMG, LMG, and SAR counterparts as is obvious due to the damage models. They also have over-modeled drag so that the velocity and bullet drop at 250m in game is roughly equivalent to the same at 500m in the real world. That's all fine. The problem we have though, is that the drag coefficient is being universally applied to all weapons (with two exceptions) which leads to a case where weapons like the Gewehr 43 and the Bren are getting the velocity benefits of using a lighter round without the associated drawbacks compared to the bolt actions which despite doing more damage are still subject to the same drag coefficient and consequently handicapped at range where velocity and bullet drop become hilariously exaggerated.

The only two exceptions to this are the Krag and the Kar98 with their 'low-drag' rounds. Even these are missing ~10% of their velocity and the Krag appears to have forgotten it is allowed to do damage. I can understand low-drag rounds being a specialization for scoped weapons as opposed to running them iron sighted as "Infantry" rifles, or maybe a class bonus for the "Sniper" spec, but limiting it to only two weapons is a little silly. Would be nice to see the bolt actions get a better drag coefficient by default to help set them apart from the SARs. Even without velocity buffs this should make things play a little nicer at range.
This discussion has been closed.