Can BF franchise succeed in this age of the casual gamer?

MAJWolfcookies
579 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
A team based FPS requires teamwork (duh) but not everyone got the memo. For the past few installments (esp BF1 and BFV), the servers are infested with oblivious players who don't know what PTFO stands for. It's shocking how clueless these players are. Perhaps this is the trend as gamers are becoming more casual, which isn't necessarily congruous with modes like Conquest, Frontlines etc.

Here's a proposed solution: have the game make a suggestion to said worthless camping sniper on Conquest mode: Your gameplay suggests you are better suited for Team Deathmatch (or whatever). Press X to leave this server and to be sent to (whatever server). Worthless player leaves and next player (hopefully PTFO) in queue enters. This process is constant to ensure that right players are in the right servers which enhances experience for all.

Kind of ambitious I know. Especially if DICE can't fix the most basic bugs, but one can only hope.

Comments

• GrumbleSG9
    249 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    If it doesn't continue as a series at least it had a good run. 2002 - present day is a pretty impressive run for any game series.
  • countblah06
    9 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield Member
    A team based FPS requires teamwork (duh) but not everyone got the memo. For the past few installments (esp BF1 and BFV), the servers are infested with oblivious players who don't know what PTFO stands for. It's shocking how clueless these players are. Perhaps this is the trend as gamers are becoming more casual, which isn't necessarily congruous with modes like Conquest, Frontlines etc.

Here's a proposed solution: have the game make a suggestion to said worthless camping sniper on Conquest mode: Your gameplay suggests you are better suited for Team Deathmatch (or whatever). Press X to leave this server and to be sent to (whatever server). Worthless player leaves and next player (hopefully PTFO) in queue enters. This process is constant to ensure that right players are in the right servers which enhances experience for all.

Kind of ambitious I know. Especially if DICE can't fix the most basic bugs, but one can only hope.

It's funny you talk about ptfo when you have no idea how to actually do it or to keep people from getting back on the flag or even the direction they are even going to come from. **** you wannabe ptfo noob
  • MAJWolfcookies
    579 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member

It's funny you talk about ptfo when you have no idea how to actually do it or to keep people from getting back on the flag or even the direction they are even going to come from. **** you wannabe ptfo noob

Lol. Ok. How is BF3 these days? What a joker.
  • countblah06
    edited April 2019

Where are all of the flag spawns on D in Aerodrome? You dont know? You just proved my point. You are a CASUAL who always talks about ptfo but has no idea how to do it or where to look. From those spawns what exact route are they most likely to take? You cant answer that either can you CASUAL?
  • MAJWolfcookies

Where are all of the flag spawns on D in Aerodrome? You dont know? You just proved my point. You are a CASUAL who always talks about ptfo but has no idea how to do it or where to look. From those spawns what exact route are they most likely to take? You cant answer that either can you CASUAL?

How is BF3 these days? Shoo fly.
  • munkt0r
    3037 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Are we using casual in the time dedication sense, or the "git gud" sense?

I can never keep such straight.
  • MAJWolfcookies
    Hawxxeye wrote: »
    Casual does not mean bad. Just having less time.

Exactly. And players who either don't GAF or don't know how to PTFO. Mismatch of skill and or game preference.
  • xXHamatoYoshiXx
    198 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited April 2019
    I've seen a number of casual players PTO and I've seen level 50s sit and camp the entire round. However a lot of people, casual or not, do not PTO, they don't play their classes, they don't follow orders and so on, it is always going to be this way, and it has always been this way, and there's no mechanic that you can implement that is going to force players to do otherwise. Quite frankly I am beyond over having to rely on teammates while trying to piggyback everyone to victory. Every game where I did not have to rely on others is often a game that I dominate in or at least do very well in no matter the game. I played a game earlier today, where there was 2 tanks in front of objective C headed towards A on Aerodome and I swear I ran back and forth to B like 5 times to get ammo while I saw not one other person even so much as even acknowledge that tanks were even there. What will eventually happen, like always, is that you will have one team playing the objective, and the other team is completely oblivious, which is a huge reason why so many games are one-sided. Then eventually these players will start forming clans if they haven't already, and because team switching, or team shuffling to say the least seems non-existent, you will have games where it's one clan against a bunch of casuals.

And then on top of that there's not even a hardcore mode, so your grenades, explosives, and all of your weapons in general take way too much to take down a single opponent, and I am willing to bet that sense they came out with this poll about renting servers that instead of implementing that they will leave it up to the community to create their own hardcore mode without having to do any work themselves because there will be some serious issues if they do, like spotting flares and monoculars being completely useless, and so on. Even trying to spawn in is just a pain in the butt with the spawn points not working or glitching out left and right...God this game, its soo beautiful but is soo much crap in so many ways...God I can't wait for MK11 and Cyberpunk 2011 to come out...Jesus tap dancing Christ.

But do I think that BF succeeds in the age of the casual gamer? Yeah because that's obviously the crowd that most gaming companies will cater too and it is as obvious as day with implementing Firestorm over Hardcore, levolution, full destruction, and fixing various issues and bugs.
  • countblah06
    Ok it was 4 in bf3. 5 in bf4 and 3 in bf1. All of those are higher than 2. I'm explaining that to you because I'm not entirely sure you can count
  • Noodlesocks
    3272 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    It absolutely can but I don't believe Dice Sweden are the people who can realise it.
  • MAJWolfcookies
    It absolutely can but I don't believe Dice Sweden are the people who can realise it.

Realise what? The solution that I proposed?
  • warslag
    1598 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    They should just go back to a conquest only Battlefield and invest all their efforts into making it a really good game that people want to play.

Also, I don't know why you think that younger gamers or this gamer or that gamer is somehow worse. I'm playing Apex Legends and I can tell you that there are a lot of top players in that game.
  • MAJWolfcookies
    warslag wrote: »
    They should just go back to a conquest only Battlefield and invest all their efforts into making it a really good game that people want to play.

Also, I don't know why you think that younger gamers or this gamer or that gamer is somehow worse. I'm playing Apex Legends and I can tell you that there are a lot of top players in that game.

Agreed. Also, "casual gamer" doesn't mean "worse gamer."
This discussion has been closed.