This Week in Battlefield V

Finally DICE devs decided to interact with the forum community.

Comments

  • kushmasta421
    29 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Dr_X2345 wrote: »

    That's fair, but not responding is different to just ignoring it completely. I think them not responding is to avoid it potentially looking like bias - or from people interpreting it as bias, rather. A reply on each thread that gets attention would be nice, but is never going to happen - there's obvious problems with logistics, although people tend to ignore factors like that and just flame the devs for not answering their thread when they see they responded on a different one.

    If there is a response to the same comment or complaint they should simply link you to the existing thread shows the care a bit but they don't and obviously don't listen to the community. The company is clearly more worried about its short term gains then longevity and content.
  • Stunl3y
    96 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    OskooI_007 wrote: »
    Top reasons developers don't read forums

    #1 They don't get paid to read forums. Free time is better spent sipping on a beer relaxing in a hammock instead of getting depressed reading nasty comments about their work on forums.

    #2 Time is better spent working on the game itself, instead of wasting it reading long forum posts. Developers like Twitter due to it's short word limit. It saves them time reading short tweets.

    Those are the two main reasons developers don't spend their free time reading forums. Did I mention avoiding depression by not reading about others criticizing your work?



    Maybe they should try a different approach then and then people might actually believe they are "listening to the community"

    Just because they do things a certain way does not make it right , so far its plainly obvious it isn't right as this game is dying on its feet, the general attitude from DICE over the past 12 months has been dire at best towards the people who buy their games and have done for many years. Works speaks for itself if its good it gets praised , if its crap it will get criticized , if they can't take constructive criticism (and yes there is plenty on here) then maybe they should start stacking shelves in a supermarket.
  • Redstripe101
    2559 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Stunl3y wrote: »
    OskooI_007 wrote: »
    Top reasons developers don't read forums

    #1 They don't get paid to read forums. Free time is better spent sipping on a beer relaxing in a hammock instead of getting depressed reading nasty comments about their work on forums.

    #2 Time is better spent working on the game itself, instead of wasting it reading long forum posts. Developers like Twitter due to it's short word limit. It saves them time reading short tweets.

    Those are the two main reasons developers don't spend their free time reading forums. Did I mention avoiding depression by not reading about others criticizing your work?



    Maybe they should try a different approach then and then people might actually believe they are "listening to the community"

    Just because they do things a certain way does not make it right , so far its plainly obvious it isn't right as this game is dying on its feet, the general attitude from DICE over the past 12 months has been dire at best towards the people who buy their games and have done for many years. Works speaks for itself if its good it gets praised , if its crap it will get criticized , if they can't take constructive criticism (and yes there is plenty on here) then maybe they should start stacking shelves in a supermarket.

    I would avoid the supermarket tbh
  • von_Campenstein
    6568 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    The devs do read the forum. I've had conversations about it.

    The reason they don't respond often is because if they make a statement it is then out there as an official response and would give a false impression of priority.

    How is that any different than them responding on Twitter and Reddit? Just add a disclaimer, we've seen them before; 'These are my opinions as one member of a team, the possible changes discussed may be downprioritized as our collective effort to improve on this game goes forward.'
  • IDirtY_SeCreT
    530 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    there is a huge difference between constructive criticism and some of what is posted on here

    Like you say "some" cause there's more than enough constructive criticism in this forum. But the thing is if people keep posting feedback and feel constantly ignored they tend to get less constructive, easy as that. If you ignore a part of your community while listening to these yt morons you might get the backlash sooner rather than later.
  • EA_Alexander
    542 postsMember, Administrator, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, EA Community Manager, Battlefield V
    Hawxxeye wrote: »
    Hawxxeye wrote: »
    The devs do read the forum. I've had conversations about it.

    The reason they don't respond often is because if they make a statement it is then out there as an official response and would give a false impression of priority.
    Someone has to figure out a way to show that an issue has been acknowledged without causing that false impression of priority.
    That Quality of Life tracker and known issues list are good ideas, but the known issues list has last been updated in December... (has it been replaced by the QoL tracker?)

    QoL tracker completely replaced the known issues list.
    If it is not in the QoL tracker should we assume it is not yet a known issue and it needs bug reporting?

    QoL tracker provides a list of top/hot issues and stuff that it is confirmed fixed/will be fixed shortly with the next update. I'm not sure it's even possible to make an exhaustive public list of bugs.

    If an issue was previously reported and garnered at least some attention from the community, it's most likely already known. Our teams (including Community, QA and Dev) are always on the lookout on multiple channels, including forums.

    That said, it's always worth writing a bug report if you're unsure.
  • Hawxxeye
    5542 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Hawxxeye wrote: »
    Hawxxeye wrote: »
    The devs do read the forum. I've had conversations about it.

    The reason they don't respond often is because if they make a statement it is then out there as an official response and would give a false impression of priority.
    Someone has to figure out a way to show that an issue has been acknowledged without causing that false impression of priority.
    That Quality of Life tracker and known issues list are good ideas, but the known issues list has last been updated in December... (has it been replaced by the QoL tracker?)

    QoL tracker completely replaced the known issues list.
    If it is not in the QoL tracker should we assume it is not yet a known issue and it needs bug reporting?

    QoL tracker provides a list of top/hot issues and stuff that it is confirmed fixed/will be fixed shortly with the next update. I'm not sure it's even possible to make an exhaustive public list of bugs.

    If an issue was previously reported and garnered at least some attention from the community, it's most likely already known. Our teams (including Community, QA and Dev) are always on the lookout on multiple channels, including forums.

    That said, it's always worth writing a bug report if you're unsure.
    I can understand that listing every single tiny bug would indeed be more trouble than it is worth.
    .
    Would what is considered an oversight instead of a programing/coding error also fit in the category of the things to put into a bug report?
    For example:
    The 75mm cannon of the JU-88C had its blast/damage reduced cause according to the patch notes it was bombs to compensate for that reduction. However the JU-88C loses all its bombs if it goes down the 75mm path (which is the reason nobody ever uses that path anymore).
    .
    Would something like that feel at home in a bug report or should it be communicated through another route?
  • EA_Alexander
    542 postsMember, Administrator, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, EA Community Manager, Battlefield V
    Hawxxeye wrote: »
    For example:
    The 75mm cannon of the JU-88C had its blast/damage reduced cause according to the patch notes it was bombs to compensate for that reduction. However the JU-88C loses all its bombs if it goes down the 75mm path (which is the reason nobody ever uses that path anymore).
    .
    Would something like that feel at home in a bug report or should it be communicated through another route?

    That would be game design feedback/complaint. Best to put it in General Discussion categories and it'll be picked up as feedback.
  • Hawxxeye
    5542 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Hawxxeye wrote: »
    For example:
    The 75mm cannon of the JU-88C had its blast/damage reduced cause according to the patch notes it was bombs to compensate for that reduction. However the JU-88C loses all its bombs if it goes down the 75mm path (which is the reason nobody ever uses that path anymore).
    .
    Would something like that feel at home in a bug report or should it be communicated through another route?

    That would be game design feedback/complaint. Best to put it in General Discussion categories and it'll be picked up as feedback.
    I see then I have followed the right procedures so far by making a dedicated topic on it on General as well as the BFV reddit.
    Thanks for the answers Alexander.
  • BaronVonGoon
    6777 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    It's happened though many times in the past. I figure they stick to reddit because the BF subreddit has alot more users. But they do lurk around here too. You can interact with them. I've had private message with devs they'll conversate if you're polite.
  • Hawxxeye
    5542 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    It's happened though many times in the past. I figure they stick to reddit because the BF subreddit has alot more users. But they do lurk around here too. You can interact with them. I've had private message with devs they'll conversate if you're polite.
    I have come to understand that a good thing about reddit is that topics or replies that are deemed important/valuable by enough people are better highlighted.
    Perhaps EA needs to go all the way and move the official forums on reddit, especially since these forums have those weird quirks like the edit approval limitations
  • CrashCA
    1030 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Can someone provide links to QOL Tracker and Known Issue threads being discussed as the ones I see are out of date ?
    Thanks.
  • Hawxxeye
    5542 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    CrashCA wrote: »
    Can someone provide links to QOL Tracker and Known Issue threads being discussed as the ones I see are out of date ?
    Thanks.
    https://forums.battlefield.com/en-us/discussion/179192/battlefield-v-quality-of-life-tracker#latest
    It was last edited on March 23
  • Redstripe101
    2559 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Hawxxeye wrote: »
    CrashCA wrote: »
    Can someone provide links to QOL Tracker and Known Issue threads being discussed as the ones I see are out of date ?
    Thanks.
    https://forums.battlefield.com/en-us/discussion/179192/battlefield-v-quality-of-life-tracker#latest
    It was last edited on March 23

    i'll believe the confirmed blackscreen fix when it doesnt occur. glad its coming now that Firestorm is out, must have been a pretty low priority sinve its occured since beta and launch
  • warslag
    1452 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    there is a huge difference between constructive criticism and some of what is posted on here

    So if the devs made a bargain with the community, that only constructive criticism were to be allowed and that in return the devs would respond frequently, I think most people would accept that.

    But the devs still wouldn't respond, anyway. DICE and EA have completely different agendas to the players, obviously.
  • Redstripe101
    2559 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    warslag wrote: »
    there is a huge difference between constructive criticism and some of what is posted on here

    So if the devs made a bargain with the community, that only constructive criticism were to be allowed and that in return the devs would respond frequently, I think most people would accept that.

    But the devs still wouldn't respond, anyway. DICE and EA have completely different agendas to the players, obviously.

    Lego imbedded marketing insight teams to live with consumers when they decided they needed a new marketing strategy. they literally lived with families. not all of it was pretty or helpful but the end result is they went from almost banrupt to the 2nd largest toy company and will likely pass mattel if past trends continue. so its tragic and comical to see them not even respond to their own posts with such consistency.
  • Vycinas2
    932 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    there is a huge difference between constructive criticism and some of what is posted on here

    Not really. Criticism is criticism regardless of its shape or form. Most people are aware about the lack of communications from Dev Team, so they usually vent out of frustration. But if you read between the lines you will understand what that person means. I remember when I was carpenter apprentice, I never received what people call nowadays constructive feedback, and that made me better.

    I for one find it insulting and disgusting that the Devs are avoiding their official Game forums and instead post everything on Reddit. Then whats the point of these forums, close them down and lets move to reddit. Community is capable to create their own forums loads of free hosting/forum platforms to choose from, if they wanted to discuss the game and not bother about the Devs.

    Saying they read these forums but cant respond to all threads/posts is nonsense and everyone knows that (ofcourse there are a few threads not worth replying to). They created this game, they should be here interacting with their community, understand what we want or dont want, why players are leaving and not returning. Playerbase is shrinking and you can feel that even though we cant see statistics, we can see amount of servers populated...
  • Redstripe101
    2559 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Vycinas2 wrote: »
    there is a huge difference between constructive criticism and some of what is posted on here

    Not really. Criticism is criticism regardless of its shape or form. Most people are aware about the lack of communications from Dev Team, so they usually vent out of frustration. But if you read between the lines you will understand what that person means. I remember when I was carpenter apprentice, I never received what people call nowadays constructive feedback, and that made me better.

    I for one find it insulting and disgusting that the Devs are avoiding their official Game forums and instead post everything on Reddit. Then whats the point of these forums, close them down and lets move to reddit. Community is capable to create their own forums loads of free hosting/forum platforms to choose from, if they wanted to discuss the game and not bother about the Devs.

    Saying they read these forums but cant respond to all threads/posts is nonsense and everyone knows that (ofcourse there are a few threads not worth replying to). They created this game, they should be here interacting with their community, understand what we want or dont want, why players are leaving and not returning. Playerbase is shrinking and you can feel that even though we cant see statistics, we can see amount of servers populated...

    i agree, every buisness class would tell you a complaining customer is better than one who simply chooses turns away from your product/brand. but then again EA has had a brand reputation crisis for a couple years now
  • aRrAyStArTaT0
    786 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Didn't one of them come on and address some of these accusations entirely? Like... on one of the pinned posts??
This discussion has been closed.