6 more years of BFV?

BFB-LeCharybdis
745 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
This is probably total bollocks but I've had a thought.

I watched a video by Mr Frags after he got back from a jaunt to Stockholm in which he posed the question of what if instead of releasing a new game in two years, Dice instead continually worked on added content to and improved BFV over the next 6 years, following the wars progression in content year by year.

When I watched it I thought no chance, but a couple of things are making me wonder if Dice asked Jack to test the water on this idea by floating it in one of his vids.

1) People are saying that after the road maps release that we'll only be in 1941 by the years end. Dice aren't thinking of flying through 4 years of history and battles in the space of 1 are they?

2) The introduction of BR. I'm not the most knowledgable on this subject but I don't think traditional BR games change their entire format every 2 years. They add things to it and change parts of the map to keep it interesting but I imagine that part of the reason why BR games are so financially successful is that the main work goes into maintaining and adding improvements to an existing model, rather than building a new BR mode from the ground up every two years.

3) They're really taking their time with Boins. I figured EA would want to be hoovering up that dress up cash off the more fashion forward members right off the mark, instead they're really taking their time about it. Is it because their viewing BFV in terms of greater longevity?

I'm not sure how I'd feel about 6 more years, I like BFV but until the NetCode is sorted it's difficult to tell if it's a great game yet. But part of me loves the idea of following the course of the war over the years, it would be like an odyssey.
As well as having a game that is made great then perfected for years of true enjoyment. Following with a release of Battlefield 6 that launches in great shape as it's had the time to be fully developed, instead of going through this all over again in 2020.

Just wondering how the community would feel about a longer life cycle between games.

Comments

• trip1ex
    4648 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    this time next year we'll be hearing about the next BF game.
  • BFB-LeCharybdis
    Vycinas2 wrote: »
    I played BF4 for 5 years (to skip through BF1) with little breaks for Hardline. I cant see myself playing this for more than a year (thats a big stretch) even if they added content. Gameplay is extremely bland with terrible class balance.

Agree about the gameplay and the class balance, but if a games cycle was more than two years these things could be corrected by a fully staffed Dev team, which would also mean more content.

I'm by no means a huge fan of BFV, but I do think there's potential here that isn't going to have time to be developed on before they start work on the next one and this whole thing starts all over again.

6 years is too long, but I think 3 or maybe even 4 years would benefit this title and the next.
  • von_Campenstein
    6565 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    I played BF4 for 5 years (to skip through BF1) with little breaks for Hardline. I cant see myself playing this for more than a year (thats a big stretch) even if they added content. Gameplay is extremely bland with terrible class balance.

Agree about the gameplay and the class balance, but if a games cycle was more than two years these things could be corrected by a fully staffed Dev team, which would also mean more content.

I'm by no means a huge fan of BFV, but I do think there's potential here that isn't going to have time to be developed on before they start work on the next one and this whole thing starts all over again.

6 years is too long, but I think 3 or maybe even 4 years would benefit this title and the next.

It's just not EAs MO, crank out a new title as often as possible is how they built their empire, why deviate from that because a game could be made better?
  • munkt0r
    3037 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    A lot of the people in here seem to forget the fact that companies literally operate based on statistical demand.

Their release cycle is most certainly tied to overall/majority demand.

In short, they release games this often because people buy them.
  • Noodlesocks
    2647 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I read somewhere that they only have a 2 year schedule for this game. Can't confirm validity.
  • I3loodlust
    4 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Dice needs to get working on Vietnam!
  • Redstripe101
    2546 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    munkt0r wrote: »
    A lot of the people in here seem to forget the fact that companies literally operate based on statistical demand.

but they didnt, they didnt meet expectations on launch and player churn is even worse than previous titles. i'd say it has more to do with cost associated with supporting an older title such as BF4 while no longer making profit from it. It's got to be a failure in every buisness sense if a previous title is still competing with your new version.
  • von_Campenstein
    6565 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    The only thing speaking for them wanting to prolong this fiasco is that they've admitted the Frostbite engine in it's current form is at the end of its rope and they would need the time to get the next engine ready and running.
  • BFB-LeCharybdis

It's just not EAs MO, crank out a new title as often as possible is how they built their empire, why deviate from that because a game could be made better?

Agree and again this is just an idea.

Take the amount of revenue games like Fortnite bring in based purely on things like micro transactions and weigh it against the cost of developing a new game 2 yearly. I believe Apex has made 10 million on its first few weeks alone.

EA made a mistake not making FireStorm free to play on release when the hype was at its strongest. This is purely subjective but I think FireStorm is a great mode as it stands, with a few tweaks to gameplay to reduce camping and Dice finally getting a grip on the TTD and you have a BR that can stand up against any of the others on the market that are making an absolute fortune.

The profits from this in turn goes into expanding and improving the main game and continues to be a source of revenue for EA.

The next game which releases at least a year later isn't almost completely broken at launch, has a better beta, stronger reviews and in turn makes EA a lot more money.
  • Redstripe101
    2546 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member

Agree and again this is just an idea.

Take the amount of revenue games like Fortnite bring in based purely on things like micro transactions and weigh it against the cost of developing a new game 2 yearly. I believe Apex has made 10 million on its first few weeks alone.

EA made a mistake not making FireStorm free to play on release when the hype was at its strongest. This is purely subjective but I think FireStorm is a great mode as it stands, with a few tweaks to gameplay to reduce camping and Dice finally getting a grip on the TTD and you have a BR that can stand up against any of the others on the market that are making an absolute fortune.

The profits from this in turn goes into expanding and improving the main game and continues to be a source of revenue for EA.

The next game which releases at least a year later isn't almost completely broken at launch, has a better beta, stronger reviews and in turn makes EA a lot more money.

EA had little to nothing to do with Apex except being publisher. Respawn made it in their image with no back n forth on development. EA basically gave them trust and couldnt even predict its potential earnings. So a game they had no hand in is by far the better BR (i havent played but based on census). So there is a problem but its higher up in the concept and design chain. Even if they purposefuly went into live service with hosted microtrans to be more profitable that is far from the case now. So even at its core BF5 was conceptually flawed by suits and ties.
  • herodes87
    1266 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Will Not Happen after These Sales Numbers.

EA wants Money and BFV will Not give it to them with Players already leaving.
  • Kayback
    367 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    herodes87 wrote: »

This. I'm sure as heck not going to play this game for 6 years. Heck I don't see myself playing it for another 6 weeks. Last night I had a couple of hours to myself so I played and finished Deadpool then played Jagged Alliance. I never put down BF2 until the servers closed, I even got the Russian server version of BFBC2 when I couldn't find any ranked local servers. I still have BF4. I only uninstalled BF1 to make space on my SSD for BFV. I bought a new SSD the other day, guess what's going on it.

The only other BF game I played this short was Bad Company 1, due to lack of servers.

Besides that what do we have to look forwards to in 6 years? It isn't like they can do the chronological thing with anything besides maps, and they've already botched that.

If they magic stable 126 or 256 versions of their maps I may try it again but till then........ Meh. Bring on Borderlands 3.
  • Masqerader
    620 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    This is already going down as one of the worst battlefields to date, with someone of the worst maps, and design features ever.

No one is gonna be playing this for 6 years.

Mr Frags is derp
  • TNA_SneakyMonkey
    543 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited April 3
    I don't think the two-year development cycle has ever really worked with the Battlefield franchise - DICE took their time with BF2 and released a classic (OK, the 1.3 patch was a bit of a miss, but yeah). They had five years to go from BF2 to BF3 (OK, via BC2, granted), and then BF4 was late, unfinished when it was released (they didn't even have textures on the buildings in Siege of Shanghai for the beta, and let's not forget the homing RPGs because the SAMs weren't ready; the initial launch was a mess), BF1 was, like BFV a hackfest at the start) and they seem to have misjudged their audience given how much time they've spent reacting to the community in BFV.

So yeah, a six year development cycle for the game seems like a long time, but it's the same as the gap between 1942 and BF2. I can't say that I see myself playing for a full six years, but if DICE keep working on the game, addressing issues and adding maps and the like, I don't see any reason apart from fatigue that I won't either - when the game works, it's amazing. An RSP would definitely help to keep me playing (provided, of course, I found community servers that I liked). I do buy cosmetics for the other games I play, so I'd probably end up buying some for this game at some point.
  • SirBobdk
    3924 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    EA / Dice has got a slap in the face with BFV, so I think they are considering their strategy and how to do it next time.
    It seems 2 years are to short for making a BF game, but I dont think they will wait 6 years unless they find a way to get the same sale.
    More content, maps, weapons, fractions could keep the game a live but imo it will not bring more people in to the game, but only maintain the current playerbase.
    Microtransactions, maybe but the have not yet shown that the know how to do this, So I doubt this.
    Imo they should wait 3-4 years with the next BF and get it right.
  • HawkeyeAM47
    1317 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member

Alot of new People are coming to the gane just for Firestorm
  • dA_9_eL_81
    1822 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member

Alot of new People are coming to the gane just for Firestorm

Yea and hopefully they will be leaving again as soon as the next hyped BR game appears out of nowhere.

What really bothers me is the seemingly lackluster development of BFV... They cutdown on the very core game to shoehorn a BR-gamemode into the game...

I would REALLY like to see a poll of players that played at least since BF4 if they prefer a well-developed BFV with Premium (and a guarantee 16 map DLC drop within 2 years) or if Dice should continue the path of Firestorm...

HELL... I´m actually getting mad just thinking about it... A well-developed WW2 game would have gained a larger fanbase.
    ... Firestorm should have been released as a free stand-alone gamemode. They could have made a more whackier approach in regards to customisation, and earn tons of cheddar from all the special snowflakes that want a prosthetic german soldier called Helga og asian descent...