Weekly BF

Finally DICE devs decided to interact with the forum community.

Comments

• llPhantom_Limbll
    5639 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Vycinas2 said:
    there is a huge difference between constructive criticism and some of what is posted on here

I for one find it insulting and disgusting that the Devs are avoiding their official Game forums and instead post everything on Reddit. Then whats the point of these forums, close them down and lets move to reddit. Community is capable to create their own forums loads of free hosting/forum platforms to choose from, if they wanted to discuss the game and not bother about the Devs.

100% this. What's the reason for OFFICIAL forums to exist if Dice is using plebbit as the main source of feedback? 
    Why are we even here? Just to suffer?..
  • SirBobdk
    4119 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited April 3
    @Vycinas2 wrote
    Playerbase is shrinking and you can feel that even though we cant see statistics, we can see amount of servers populated...
    -
    And the times you meet the same players on a random serer
    hmm quote dont work
  • RichardSinerface
    78 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    2 days later and its still funny!!

Guess we should all go to Reddit
  • Vycinas2
    932 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    SirBobdk wrote: »
    @Vycinas2 wrote Playerbase is shrinking and you can feel that even though we cant see statistics, we can see amount of servers populated...-
    And the times you meet the same players on a random sererhmm quote dont work

Worse for me with photographic memory, I usually look at scoreboard at the start and then I see same names other times or in different servers and thats very sad compared to BF4 at the same time with its freezing, trade kill and other issues, dont recall seeing same faces everytime.
  • Stunl3y
    96 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    there is a huge difference between constructive criticism and some of what is posted on here

Maybe if there was a healthy response to the "constructive criticism" the nasty stuff wouldn't be so forth coming and even if it was there the people seeing and getting a response would be a lot quicker in shutting down those nasty comments, at this present time most people just see everyone being very very frustrated.
  • Hawxxeye
    5958 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Stunl3y said:

Maybe if there was a healthy response to the "constructive criticism" the nasty stuff wouldn't be so forth coming and even if it was there the people seeing and getting a response would be a lot quicker in shutting down those nasty comments, at this present time most people just see everyone being very very frustrated.

Meanwhile not getting a response  crease a more desperate situation where people are more loud in their attempts to "wake up" DICE.
    Watch this and replace the cuckoo with those trying to give feedback and the pink panther with DICE.
  • aRrAyStArTaT0
    786 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited April 5
    Stunl3y said:

And if they think that getting mad and insulting developers is a good tactic, then they probably shouldn't be on the forums right? The developers shouldn't respond to that kind of behavior, because all it does is say "Act like this and you will get a response."
    I can think of a few reasons why they wouldn't respond:
    1. They don't know the answer
    2. They can't tell you the answer
    3. You were rude/condescending or just straight up insulted them.
    4. You were not constructive and your post was more of just a rant
    5. They've addressed your concern in a different post.
    Large portions of community admins do not under any circumstance try and put themselves in the line of fire by engaging with their hostile community. There's very little, if any, chance of it working in their favor and the situation dying down, especially when the community has largely been doing nothing but poking the bear and looking for the bear to mess up. And if you don't think DICE or EA is doing everything wrong and you talk about it, these attackers will start to attack you and call you names and follow you around. I don't know why this kind of behavior isn't cracked down on around here. Constructiveness leads to clearer and more developed answers. Anger and acting like a jerk lead to NOTHING of value, especially in a community like this.
  • m1k3ol
    826 postsMember, Moderator, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Moderator
    edited April 5
    ok, some stuff about this, just remember I'm not an official staff or anything...

Times are changing, reality is that the community is moving out of the forums, and this is for most companies...people now hangout in Discord and Reddit, the overall fall of forum activity is pretty much organic, at this rate I doubt it will pick up, even with more visibility with dev interactions...

Devs are obviously there because that's what some people are used to on a daily basis, be it those places or Twitter...

Feedback is gathered and sent to the devs, and yes, even the 0 replies threads are read by someone at some point, I gather feedback and sent it to the community team every Thursday, then they manage whatever needs to reach the team, this includes reading every thread (as humanly as possible) on this forums (at least by me), and the other mods also report anything important back on a daily basis, like pressing issues and other findings...

So, yeah, forum is indeed being used and read by devs on all issues, big or small, even if you can't see them writing in here...
  • aRrAyStArTaT0
    786 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    m1k3ol said:
    ok, some stuff about this, just remember I'm not an official staff or anything...

Times are changing, reality is that the community is moving out of the forums, and this is for most companies...people now hangout in Discord and Reddit, the overall fall of forum activity is pretty much organic, at this rate I doubt it will pick up, even with more visibility with dev interactions...

Devs are obviously there because that's what some people are used to on a daily basis, be it those places or Twitter...

Feedback is gathered and sent to the devs, and yes, even the 0 replies threads are read by someone at some point, I gather feedback and sent it to the community team every Thursday, then they manage whatever needs to reach the team, this includes reading every thread (as humanly as possible) on this forums (at least by me), and the other mods also report anything important back on a daily basis, like pressing issues and other findings...

So, yeah, forum is indeed being used and read by devs on all issues, big or small, even if you can't see them writing in here...
    Too many people don't see this. Development on a project that has such a massive community means you can't physically respond to every or even some specific topics. And when they respond to one topic, there becomes an outcry of the exact same thing we're seeing now. "Why aren't they responding?" and "They responded here, but we aren't having a conversation" types of posts start to come up and do literally 0 to help anything. I can't think of the last time a developer commented on one of these threads on ANY game forum or reddit. I can't remember the last time a developer responded to a hate thread. I can't think of a situation where they WOULD want to respond to a hate thread.
    It's entirely the community's fault that we're in the situation that we are in on the forums. The developers don't respond like the community decides they need to. The forums get spammed with "They aren't responding or talking to us" posts. They continue to not respond because nothing of value is being said and as a result the forums get lower and lower on the priority list. Moderation is busy doing things like locking posts and redirecting users more often when they should be compiling the feedback (like you've stated) and engaging with the community. It's extremely difficult to justify going into any group that does nothing but be aggressive.
    Think of it this way. CEO of a company is doing okay. Small group of protesters gathers outside the CEO's place of work. Would the CEO engage them if he could avoid it? Would he call security so he can actually leave the building and not be harassed? Would he even care? The world is turning more and more into an episode of Parks and Recreation these days. You try and talk to people that don't like you only to be taken out of context and be insulted/threatened. It's entirely dumb and the community should be ashamed.
  • Ferdinand_J_Foch
    3409 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    m1k3ol said:

Too many people don't see this. Development on a project that has such a massive community means you can't physically respond to every or even some specific topics. And when they respond to one topic, there becomes an outcry of the exact same thing we're seeing now. "Why aren't they responding?" and "They responded here, but we aren't having a conversation" types of posts start to come up and do literally 0 to help anything. I can't think of the last time a developer commented on one of these threads on ANY game forum or reddit. I can't remember the last time a developer responded to a hate thread. I can't think of a situation where they WOULD want to respond to a hate thread.
    It's entirely the community's fault that we're in the situation that we are in on the forums. The developers don't respond like the community decides they need to. The forums get spammed with "They aren't responding or talking to us" posts. They continue to not respond because nothing of value is being said and as a result the forums get lower and lower on the priority list. Moderation is busy doing things like locking posts and redirecting users more often when they should be compiling the feedback (like you've stated) and engaging with the community. It's extremely difficult to justify going into any group that does nothing but be aggressive.
    Think of it this way. CEO of a company is doing okay. Small group of protesters gathers outside the CEO's place of work. Would the CEO engage them if he could avoid it? Would he call security so he can actually leave the building and not be harassed? Would he even care? The world is turning more and more into an episode of Parks and Recreation these days. You try and talk to people that don't like you only to be taken out of context and be insulted/threatened. It's entirely dumb and the community should be ashamed.
    I understand that there are many here who troll and say nothing of value, but once again ... you can say the exact same thing about Reddit, Twitter, Discord or any other platform. 

Go on the BFV subreddit now ... it's filled with people raging about the Battlefield Coins, as well as rants about whether live service is the way to go for this franchise. You'll find some good posts, but a lot of redditors are attacking each other, and making incredibly negative statements about DICE. One of the most recent highly upvoted threads is demanding that DICE gives every Deluxe players some Battlefield Coins ... there are people there that are threatening bloody lawsuits, and some are even making somewhat personal threats to DICE staff.

So ... why ignore this community, which does have serious issues admittedly, when the community that you are engaging in is even worse? There's almost no moderation on the BF subreddits ... hell, the mods get downvoted massively over there whenever they do step in. BF subreddit mods also got accused of censorship pretty much everyday.

If DICE doesn't want to communicate with 'toxic' communities, it shouldn't communicate with any BF community whatsoever, because all of them have serious toxic elements in them. 

Even on Reddit, you have people saying that DICE is ignoring them!
  • ackers75
    2438 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Just maybe they would get a better response from the community if they actually test the game before release!

Stop making the community look like the bad guys when you clearly launched and sold a broken game!
  • EA_Alexander
    542 postsMember, Administrator, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, EA Community Manager, Battlefield V
    m1k3ol said:

I personally wouldn't say that community is moving out. There are a lot more platforms for community building and as a result people choose what they like the most depending on their needs. You can't really replace forums or reddit with twitter, each platform has it's limitations.  It's purely a matter of preference.

• aRrAyStArTaT0
    m1k3ol said:

I understand that there are many here who troll and say nothing of value, but once again ... you can say the exact same thing about Reddit, Twitter, Discord or any other platform. 

Go on the BFV subreddit now ... it's filled with people raging about the Battlefield Coins, as well as rants about whether live service is the way to go for this franchise. You'll find some good posts, but a lot of redditors are attacking each other, and making incredibly negative statements about DICE. One of the most recent highly upvoted threads is demanding that DICE gives every Deluxe players some Battlefield Coins ... there are people there that are threatening bloody lawsuits, and some are even making somewhat personal threats to DICE staff.

So ... why ignore this community, which does have serious issues admittedly, when the community that you are engaging in is even worse? There's almost no moderation on the BF subreddits ... hell, the mods get downvoted massively over there whenever they do step in. BF subreddit mods also got accused of censorship pretty much everyday.

If DICE doesn't want to communicate with 'toxic' communities, it shouldn't communicate with any BF community whatsoever, because all of them have serious toxic elements in them. 

The difference is on there, the posts can effectively be ignored and filtered by the community. Upvotes and downvotes help effectively filter out these spam posts on reddit. On discord and twitter they can literally be ignored. Here, if they get one comment (which can be from the OP), it's shoved back in the faces of everyone. The only way to stop interaction on the forums is through moderation intervention.
  • von_Campenstein
    6571 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    m1k3ol said:

The difference is on there, the posts can effectively be ignored and filtered by the community. Upvotes and downvotes help effectively filter out these spam posts on reddit. On discord and twitter they can literally be ignored. Here, if they get one comment (which can be from the OP), it's shoved back in the faces of everyone. The only way to stop interaction on the forums is through moderation intervention.
    I'd downvote this post if I could.
  • llPhantom_Limbll
    5639 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    m1k3ol said:

Why don't we have such option here though?
  • von_Campenstein
    6571 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    m1k3ol said:

Why don't we have such option here though?
    I'm guessing to not compound the negative feedback someone would get for an unpopular opinion. Most people on here can pick a bad post apart with actual full sentences. To do this it helps having read the actual post, something places with downvotes don't require, see bad word, vote down.
  • Ferdinand_J_Foch
    3409 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    m1k3ol said:

Ah, you see, the upvote and downvote system on Reddit can also be used against DICE. Let's be a bit realistic here ... DICE employees probably don't like seeing extreme criticism or absolute hate in this game. As I mentioned before, such posts get a very high amount of upvotes, which make them very prominent in threads or even the entire subreddit. 

The upvoting and downvoting system is also highly inconsistent. Sometimes, you'll see someone defending the game getting an avalanche of downvotes, but minutes later, a different user posts practically the same thing, only to get 50 upvotes. Even posts complaining about the game suffer a bit from this phenomenon, though they still tend to get more upvotes than downvotes.

DICE and EA employees also get downvoted a lot. Jeff Braddock in particular receives a fair amount of downvotes nowadays. Won't DICE employees feel terrible when they try to interact with Reddit, only to end up getting filtered out themselves? If I were Mr. Braddock, I would be tempted to abandon Reddit after getting downvoted or flamed for the umpteenth time.

Now, there is a different set of filters that allows you to see threads of a specific sort instead of every thread in the subreddit. That's quite fair enough, though, there are some who misuse the flairs, so you'll have to deal with a few false positives once in a while. 

People and responses can get filtered out from Twitter and Discord, though I personally don't see any value in a platform that forces you to condense complex thoughts into a small collection of characters, unless you want to go through the hassle of multiple Twitter posts. There's also the fact that detailed criticism is rare on Twitter, mostly due to the character limit, and somewhat due to how immature a lot of Twitter users are. Ultimately, Twitter seems to be good for getting snippets of news instantly, but it seems inadequate as a medium for serious discussion and feedback.
  • Redstripe101
    2560 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited April 5
    Feedback < Community Team < Devs < Patch

So basically there is a disconnect because if the devs get info from the forums via data mining, then why are the patches or even Q&A not reflective of that?

I'll assume DICE is aware of all issues but at the end of the day, even if they fixed it, its a game that gets older every day. I cannot imagine in any way this game has or will be a success. Interaction isnt owed and DICEs product speaks for itself at this point.
  • aRrAyStArTaT0
    edited April 5
    The upsides of using a Reddit-like system:
    1. The community can "regulate" itself
    2. Moderation can take a more hands-off approach.
    3. The community can determine what they want to see.
    The downsides of a Reddit-like system:
    1. Downvotes are often abused to where people downvote things they don't agree with, even against the clear rules on most outlining how to use the system.
    2. Unpopular opinions or topics generally never get seen because after 2 downvotes, it's hidden from everyone else.
    3. Sometimes leads to making users feel like their own thoughts and opinions are incorrect
    4. Tends to lead towards "Hive mind" attitudes where a large portion of the community upvotes only memes or only a specific topic and nothing gets discussed.
    5. Developers are often moderators of their own sub-reddits, leading to some potential censorship and moderation abuse.
    The upsides of the forums systems we have here:
    1. Topics are never hidden unless edited, even after being "deleted" (locked)
    2. Unpopular opinions have a chance to actually have discussion
    3. Forces people to say why they don't like a thread/topic rather than just downvote and move on (promotes discussion).
    4. Moderation is active and third party with 0 monetary incentive (because they're volunteers).
    The downsides of the forums like we have here:
    1. Hive mind still has it's place, as only one kind of post gets interaction which snowballs (this kind of post is generally hostile towards developers or other members of the community).
    2. Any interaction bumps the post back up to the top.
    This is a list just off the top of my head. I'm sure if I really thought for a while, the list would be longer.
    I'm personally a fan of the system we have on the forums. As someone with a lot of unpopular opinions and controversial ideas, I feel like I can actually say them on the forums. On reddit, I'd be downvoted by someone in under 10 seconds and get no feedback as to why they did.
    Did they disagree with my POV? Did they not like the topic? Were they tired of the spam? There's too many reasons why someone would downvote you. And when 2 people downvote you and 0 people upvote you, you're SOL as now, you're hidden from the "new" feed and nobody else is going to see your post unless they manually set their settings to see posts with -1 karma (which doesn't happen).
    I do, however, think Moderation can crack down on a few things better.
    1. I continually see the same few people egging on people and making them feel like nothing or just insulting developers and other members of the community.
    2. I also see some people continually spamming the same thing (whether it be a bunch of pictures or wall of text) on every post somewhat related to the same topic.
    3. Lots of people continually say "I don't even play the game anymore lol. I stopped 2 months ago" or something along those lines, some even bragging about selling their Xbox because this game wasn't fun for them. I get it's their choice to be here, but if they haven't played in X amount of time, they shouldn't be allowed to post or comment. They don't know what the balance is like or even the game. Why should they still have a say in changes if they haven't played since launch?
    4. I've had numerous threads of mine derailed. I've been called names by people and had horrible things said about me. These people are still active on the forums and even this very topic.
    5. Jailing an account isn't really enough. People are trolls and generally locked accounts come from comments anyway, so why are they still allowed to comment? At the least, these locked accounts should only be allowed to participate once every X hours. If they're not a positive member of the community, access to said community should be restricted or even removed entirely for a set duration (never permanently though unless the temporary bans are over 6 months or something).
    Just my 2 cents. I'm always trying to use the forums for constructive conversation about the game. It frustrates me greatly when I can't do that because a few people still are around that do nothing but troll and be jerks to others.
This discussion has been closed.