Hypothetically, if you have Boins, but nothing to buy what do?

Halcyon_Creed_N7
1539 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
I'm already foreseeing a future where one would buy Boins, but maybe run out of things to buy, or not want to buy anything else.

Would we get that money back, or do you think DICE will add in consumables or something? Seems tacky to sell items for about 75% of the next highest coin bundle, because then playrs are left with, well, leftovers. It's just free money for EA/DICE at that point.

How can they add in consumables that are worth it without turning pay to win? Only one I can think of is the XP boost, of maybe a squad score boost.

Comments

• EA_Alexander
    542 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, EA Staff (retired), Battlefield V
    I'm already foreseeing a future where one would buy Boins, but maybe run out of things to buy, or not want to buy anything else.

Would we get that money back, or do you think DICE will add in consumables or something? Seems tacky to sell items for about 75% of the next highest coin bundle, because then playrs are left with, well, leftovers. It's just free money for EA/DICE at that point.

How can they add in consumables that are worth it without turning pay to win? Only one I can think of is the XP boost, of maybe a squad score boost.
     We did release a bunch of info around this. There's a FAQ outlining all the ways you could potentially spend your Battlefield Currency. A (really) short version of the blog:
    • Customization items currently in the Armory
    • Time savers (Tier catch-ups to unlock Chapter rewards, various XP Boosts)
    • Elites (Unique themed character designs with their own name, background, voice-over)
    Time savers and Elites will be available at a later date.

• Tullzter
    1269 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Buying virtual cosmetics in a game is just a concept that eludes me, i mean if you're really callous with your money, donate it to a charity instead of buying some foliage camouflage for your virtual weapons
  • MatthewSkeet
    382 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member

its called a marketing tactic.
    1. introduce alternative currency
    2. introduce purchasable items at very odd prices/numbers eg 1.99 or 1.50 or 3
    3. sell paccks of currency in odd numbers (ensure any item you buy will ALWAYS leave you some change)
    4. profit

the fact is you dont even have to release alternative currency, just sell giftcard/voucher with uneven/odd amount of money on it.... et voila

just few examples:
    Boins
    PSN/Xbox credit
    Amazon Coin
    Fornite v bucks

We did release a bunch of info around this. There's a FAQ outlining all the ways you could potentially spend your Battlefield Currency. A (really) short version of the blog:
    • Elites (Unique themed character designs with their own name, background, voice-over)

that doesnt really answer the question now, does it?
  • EA_Alexander
    542 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, EA Staff (retired), Battlefield V
    edited April 2019

Why not? The question essentially was: if you bought too many Boins, will there be other stuff  you could potentially buy, since currency is non-refundable? The answer is: yes, there will be more stuff you can spend Boins on apart from the customization items currently in the Armory. Are you guaranteed to not have left over Boins at all? Nope, it will all depend on the purchases you make.

I should've added the last bit and I get it, it's not very clear now, but I guess it will only be after Time-savers and Elites will be available in the Armory.

• MatthewSkeet
    382 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member

Why not? The question essentially was: if you bought too many Boins, will there be other stuff  you could potentially buy, since currency is non-refundable? The answer is: yes, there will be more stuff you can spend Boins on apart from the customization items currently in the Armory. Are you guaranteed to not have left over Boins at all? Nope, it will all depend on the purchases you make.

You havent really read the question...

what If I dont want to buy anything because there is nothing interesting. Im at a top level, dont need xp boost and im good enough to get all the chapter rewards relatively quickly

Lets do maths here since it may actually prove my point

Boins come in 500, 1050, 3500, 6000 packs
    assuming you only buy epic skins (because all the other ones are easy to get anyway) each is 750

can you please highlight to me which pack I need to get or how many, in order to buy enough epic sets and have not a single boin leftover
  • MatthewSkeet
    edited April 2019
    im going to top that....
    other items are 120, 250, 300, 400 boins

1 epic at 750 and one rare at 250 = 1000 - you can only buy 3500 or 6000 pack
    2 rare items one 300 one 400 = 700. if you buy 1050 pack of boins that leave you 350 - is there anything in the shop that you can spend this on?

there is no combination of items that will let you spend all the boins unless you want to waste it on mediocre rare items but then you have to buy 20 of them at 300 each or 14 at 250
  • TFBisquit
    2255 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited April 2019
    With odd numbers, players will always have leftover currency. No escaping that. But that goes for every type of currency used as it was real money. So if one purchases too much, then chances are higher there is nothing left to purchase. There could be small purchases for step by step timesavers, like already said by EA-Alexander. Which leaves the consumer with the responsibility not to buy too many coins.
  • MatthewSkeet
    edited April 2019
    TFBisquit said:
    With odd numbers, players will always have leftover currency. No escaping that. But that goes for every type of currency used as it was real money. So if one purchases too much, then chances are higher there is nothing left to purchase. There could be small purchases for step by step timesavers, like already said by EA-Alexander. Which leaves the consumer with the responsibility not to buy too many coins.
    I dont understand why would you even defend this kind of marketing tactic. this could be easily resolved by actually selling stuff for real money and not made up currency.
    it's a dirty tactic that only greedy developers use. I can assure you if there was a law preventing such action I'm sure they would only use real currency for purchases

and again
    I have every single item in the game except one epic that costs 750, which boin pack do I buy and not have spare change?
  • EA_Alexander

what If I dont want to buy anything because there is nothing interesting. Im at a top level, dont need xp boost and im good enough to get all the chapter rewards relatively quickly
    I did, then the question is why would you even buy Boins if nothing piques your interest?
  • llPhantom_Limbll
    6243 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member

I did, then the question is why would you even buy Boins if nothing piques your interest?
    I think he means what would he do with remaining currency left after he purchased something? Like he got 1050 bcoins and purchased one set of items which left him with 300 bcoins and there isn't anything interesting for him anymore. Does it mean those 300 bcoins are wasted?
    I do believe this whole "exchange money for virtual currency" system is flawed and people are forced to buy more than they need.
  • Panzerratte_93
    16 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member

Lets do maths here since it may actually prove my point

Boins come in 500, 1050, 3500, 6000 packs
    assuming you only buy epic skins (because all the other ones are easy to get anyway) each is 750

can you please highlight to me which pack I need to get or how many, in order to buy enough epic sets and have not a single boin leftover

// I don´t know how much epic-sets are "enough" but I would say, you can buy 3 times 500 boins (its in total 1500 Boins) and have 2 Epic sets (by each 750 Boins). Clearly it is not the most efficient way of buying boins, as I would imagine that there is a Discount for buing a bigger pakage of boins but this would work. And so on, you can buy 2/4/6 Epic-sets whereas with 6000 boins you can have 8 Epic-sets. //  

• EA_Alexander
    I think he means what would he do with remaining currency left after he purchased something? Like he got 1050 bcoins and purchased one set of items which left him with 300 bcoins and there isn't anything interesting for him anymore. Does it mean those 300 bcoins are wasted?
    I do believe this whole "exchange money for virtual currency" system is flawed and people are forced to buy more than they need.
    I was answering OP's original question and it got a bit confusing. If you put it this way, all I can say is that there are two ways to avoid that under the current system: wait for something interesting or avoid the purchase in the first place, since Epics will be available through progression.
  • llPhantom_Limbll
    6243 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    I was answering OP's original question and it got a bit confusing. If you put it this way, all I can say is that there are two ways to avoid that under the current system: wait for something interesting or avoid the purchase in the first place, since Epics will be available through progression.
    I know you probably don't have an answer but I'll ask anyway: was it necessary to add this whole conversion system instead of simple purchase with real money? Isn't it easier to spend $10 to get an item?
  • ElliotLH
    9347 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    I know you probably don't have an answer but I'll ask anyway: was it necessary to add this whole conversion system instead of simple purchase with real money? Isn't it easier to spend $10 to get an item?
    Maybe EA saw how well Rockstar have done selling Sharkcards? It's basically the same system I think.
  • trip1ex
    5212 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    edited April 2019
    I think what you do is just keep buying Boins to support the game.  Saying, out loud, " I got 100 Boins" is a reward in and of itself.
  • EdwinSpangler
    1843 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Anyone else hear a spring sound in their head when they see "boins"? Boioioioing

Honestly I would rather buy aeria points..

Sry for ot
  • llPhantom_Limbll
    Anyone else hear a spring sound in their head when they see "boins"? Boioioioing

Honestly I would rather buy aeria points..

Sry for ot
    I wonder who came up with that name? It has a very unpleasant sound.
  • BaronVonGoon
    7050 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Don't buy boins and give the money to the poor.
  • Ferdinand_J_Foch
    3417 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Tullzter said:
    Buying virtual cosmetics in a game is just a concept that eludes me, i mean if you're really callous with your money, donate it to a charity instead of buying some foliage camouflage for your virtual weapons
    You'd be surprised to see just how much people will pay for skins ... one look at the CSGO and TF2 marketplace is enough to confuse the hell out of any sane person.

Have a look at this: https://www.pcgamer.com/csgo-dragon-lore-awp-skin-sells-for-more-than-61000/ 

$61,000 for a skin. That money could get you a two semesters at an Ivy League university. They could even get you a decent enough car. Hell, there are aircraft that you can buy for that kind of money.

I remember a CSGO player getting a verified offer of $125,000 for his skin inventory. He rejected the offer, and later on, got an offer for $300,000.