DISCUSSION : Battlefield™ Coins Megathread

Comments

• Cpt_Blitz_26
    294 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited April 2019
    I see countless  posts, videos from "Gamechangers", tweets of people crying about skins being locked behind a paywall. People cry that they're getting flipped off by Dice. I do not understand why they cry.

With Premium in earlier games players were asking for free maps and microtransactions for those who wanted to spend money on skins etc. They got just that, but they're still unhappy because now they want cosmetics to be free too. Now look, I would love Dice to work for free, but they won't.

I see people asking for all cosmetics to be purchasable via CC. But then, who in their right mind would buy Boins if they can buy those cosmetics for free? And I know what you're going to say - "People who want to get cosmetics now, will pay real money, and people who don't want to spend cash, will grind". That's not how it would work. If that system was in place, those Premium skins would cost 100k CC or more for a set, and then you would be crying about it saying that its impossible to grind and that you're forced to spend money. 
    I don't get it either. There are also other ways to earn epic sets. Elites are the only things you have to buy.

Correction... A FEW epic skins will be available... being the vast majority will NOT be. You'll have to pay real money.

The point is we've been waiting and waiting for the store and also they alluded to, in their discussions, that there would be the grind method and paid method, but that doesn't seem to be the case. Just a weird convoluted way of using real currency to buy a virtual one that's also used in tandem with a grind currency... just a mess.
  • llPhantom_Limbll
    6310 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Ferdinand_J_Foch said:

EvilGoat_51 said:
    Epic sets aren't locked behind a paywall, only elites. 

Some Epic sets are locked behind a paywall though, like the Diving Rod Afrika Korps set.

There are two sets in the game that are now locked behind Battlefield Coins, but were previously available for Company Coins when the game was having CC issues. I got the helmet for one of those sets, and if I want to finish that set, I have to pay real money.

I was looking forward to some of the skins that have appeared in the armoury, but alas, it looks like I won't bother with them now. I can pay for guns, vehicles, maps and gadgets, but skins ... eh, I'd probably not.

Oh well.

Maybe for now, but I think later on they'll be available through the other said alternatives. Like the Weekly Storylines and weapon max rank(I haven't seen any cosmetic rewards for maxing a weapon rank yet), which we haven't seen yet. 
    That whole tweet is misleading as hell. Because people already got their epic uniforms/weapon skins from max ranks. Those are locked behind mastery challenges though.
    And you can only hope other epic stuff will appear a year later as tow reward. Maybe but nothing is guaranteed.
  • SuperiorByGender
    3239 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    I see countless  posts, videos from "Gamechangers", tweets of people crying about skins being locked behind a paywall. People cry that they're getting flipped off by Dice. I do not understand why they cry.

With Premium in earlier games players were asking for free maps and microtransactions for those who wanted to spend money on skins etc. They got just that, but they're still unhappy because now they want cosmetics to be free too. Now look, I would love Dice to work for free, but they won't.

I see people asking for all cosmetics to be purchasable via CC. But then, who in their right mind would buy Boins if they can buy those cosmetics for free? And I know what you're going to say - "People who want to get cosmetics now, will pay real money, and people who don't want to spend cash, will grind". That's not how it would work. If that system was in place, those Premium skins would cost 100k CC or more for a set, and then you would be crying about it saying that its impossible to grind and that you're forced to spend money. 
    I don't get it either. There are also other ways to earn epic sets. Elites are the only things you have to buy.

Correction... A FEW epic skins will be available... being the vast majority will NOT be. You'll have to pay real money.

The point is we've been waiting and waiting for the store and also they alluded to, in their discussions, that there would be the grind method and paid method, but that doesn't seem to be the case. Just a weird convoluted way of using real currency to buy a virtual one that's also used in tandem with a grind currency... just a mess.
    Do either of you understand what "Epic" skins mean? I'm just curious.
  • llPhantom_Limbll
    6310 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Cpt_Blitz_26 said:

EvilGoat_51 said:

YourLocalPlumber said:

Do either of you understand what "Epic" skins mean? I'm just curious.
    No idea because none of those look "epic" to me.
  • Dr_X2345
    774 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I completely get having Elite skins as Boins-only purchases, but I'm not a massive fan of the Epic sets being locked behind a paywall. I think that for those, the Boins should be the better option, but there is the option to buy with CC as well, just have the price set quite high - perhaps 30-40k per set, or even more. Not unattainable, but it's going to take a lot of grinding and if you want multiple sets you'll have to buy one or two for Boins. Then you have almost all the income (perhaps more) without the complaints.
  • Dr_X2345
    I don't have any issue with Elites being Boins-only, but I'm not a huge fan of the Epic skins only being unlockable through premium currency with no further official communication. I'm not saying they should be easy to buy with CC - perhaps 60-80k (I have been saying lower than that but I just realised that that price wasn't really including the head piece) - but having an option or even an illusion of an option is nice, and might actually convince people to buy more skins with Boins (idk, I don't study psychology but is that reverse psychology? Or do I need to see a psychologist?).
    If that tweet refers to all or most epic skins, not just the ones that have been in the game since launch (max class rank assignment rewards), then I'm more onboard with the way the system works, but it should have been communicated more clearly and as the patch launched IMO. Currently the 'Max class rank' and 'max weapon rank' skins could easily just be referring to skins like The Scottish Play, Holy Ghost, Hades, Canis Horribalis and the Gold Plated weapon skins which are nothing new.
  • PoppaPappo
    241 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Ferdinand_J_Foch said:

EvilGoat_51 said:
    Epic sets aren't locked behind a paywall, only elites. 

Some Epic sets are locked behind a paywall though, like the Diving Rod Afrika Korps set.

There are two sets in the game that are now locked behind Battlefield Coins, but were previously available for Company Coins when the game was having CC issues. I got the helmet for one of those sets, and if I want to finish that set, I have to pay real money.

I was looking forward to some of the skins that have appeared in the armoury, but alas, it looks like I won't bother with them now. I can pay for guns, vehicles, maps and gadgets, but skins ... eh, I'd probably not.

Oh well.

Maybe for now, but I think later on they'll be available through the other said alternatives. Like the Weekly Storylines and weapon max rank(I haven't seen any cosmetic rewards for maxing a weapon rank yet), which we haven't seen yet. 

There are weapon max rank rewards, but you have to do assignments to get them. At level 5 you get the proficiency assignments for “Mint” skins and at level 10 (max rank) you get the mastery assignments for the “Gold” skins. You also get Urban Blue from levels 6-10.
  • Dr_X2345
    Trokey66 said:
    Trokey66 wrote: »
    Simple really, the 'hate bandwagon' rolls on.

"ALL ABOARD!"

Honestly don't see it as a "hate bandwagon" just an exploitive company exploiting loyal fanbase. Most people shouldn't be surprised that things are going poorly for them. I don't feel much sympathy for people that complain and yet still bought the deluxe edition or even just bought the game in general.

How is it exploitation when this is what the 'community' wanted instead of Premium/paid DLC?

What it clearly demonstrates is that after paying the initial cost of the game, many people expect everything after for free and expect past title levels of content.
    Completely agree. It's not the best way they could have implemented it, but it's not exploitation - we are still getting new content, admittedly not at the best rate but it's there. You can't expect to buy a game for $50-60 with only small, mostly infrequent cosmetic purchases after that and get the same amount of post-launch content as a game where a decent portion of the playerbase bought a $50 premium pass as well as the initial purchase. Could they have released, and be releasing more gameplay content even using this model? Yes, and I think that should definitely be their main focus going forward (not just that they continue to make more content, but they try to find a way to increase the amount of content they're putting out). 

But that's just the way a live service game will recieve content - you won't get as much content, or not in big drops, but it's free once you buy the game and you can choose to support development with cosmetic purchases or whatever. Combine this with the fact that the game had a pretty awful pre-launch marketing campaign which was not very well thought out and was recieved badly, leading to less initial purchases, plus some slightly questionable choices which were taken massively out of proportion by some people who fit the stereotype of gamers being... well, hating minorities, and you get a less than stellar launch with no further income, and you're never going to get as much content as a premium model. (Note that I know some people take everything personally on the Internet, so I wasn't directly referring to anyone reading this with my statement about the stereotype - but you can't deny that it's true in regards to this game).
  • fragnstein
    835 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    ghos7bear said:
    Think about it, people who spend real money on cosmetics would do that anyway, even if epic and elite skins were available for CC, they are not ready to grind as much as we do anyway, they don't care. Instead, DICE just flipped us off for all our dedication and support to the game. I'm fully done this time.

Im consfused as to why the op is angry? They are offering skins for cash.  There is no advantage to having bought them.  Maybe the op is not dedicated and supportive enough to buy said skins
  • munkt0r
    3037 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited April 2019
    Like most children when they see a neighbor getting a new toy that they don't have, they feel slighted.  It's a difficult position they're put into as they don't fully understand why others are allowed to have things that they don't.  They attempt to rationalize a semblance of "fair" or "equal" treatment but lack a fully developed worldview to truly appreciate what it means to work for earnings, and in trade spend said earnings towards luxury goods.

• GTT_Ch0pper
    71 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Money has to be generated somehow if we are to see more content added to the game.
    I personally would pay for maps, but I'm not much inclined to pay $7-8 for a weapon skins. Just doesn't seem like an equivalent value.
  • Norfangl
    89 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Because it costs me 8 quid for a single skin. It's not worth it.
  • razor3dgeog
    5 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Disappointed but for slightly different reasons.

I love this game and have since launch. It's the only game Ive played since release, but I work 75-80 hours a week and have a family life on top of that. This leaves me with little time to grind for CC and have only been able to hoard 19k (after weapon specialization for guns I use)

I was sincerely hoping that I could purchase skins
    with boins straight from the "my company" menu and be able to get the "wacht an rihen" skin for the panzer IV, something I've wanted since tank skins where added.

I can't really dump all the cc Ive earned on the skin and then be screwed for cool guns that I want to use effectively later on. I do understand that to squeeze the most money out of the store they have to do limited time rotations with new cosmetic items, but I'm willing to shell out cash for the specific items I want.

Truthfully I do like alot of the new cosmetics that where introduced, or more rather specific parts of full sets (like the poncho zeltbahn and the tanker earmuffs/hearing protection) and have purchased them yet I'm still disappointed that I can't get specifically one item I've been looking at for months
  • Trokey66
    9143 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Disappointed but for slightly different reasons.

I love this game and have since launch. It's the only game Ive played since release, but I work 75-80 hours a week and have a family life on top of that. This leaves me with little time to grind for CC and have only been able to hoard 19k (after weapon specialization for guns I use)

I was sincerely hoping that I could purchase skins
    with boins straight from the "my company" menu and be able to get the "wacht an rihen" skin for the panzer IV, something I've wanted since tank skins where added.

I can't really dump all the cc Ive earned on the skin and then be screwed for cool guns that I want to use effectively later on. I do understand that to squeeze the most money out of the store they have to do limited time rotations with new cosmetic items, but I'm willing to shell out cash for the specific items I want.

Truthfully I do like alot of the new cosmetics that where introduced, or more rather specific parts of full sets (like the poncho zeltbahn and the tanker earmuffs/hearing protection) and have purchased them yet I'm still disappointed that I can't get specifically one item I've been looking at for months

I do think they may have missed a trick here in that you have to buy the whole set. It would perhaps have been better if each item was sold separately with, perhaps, a discount for buying the whole set.
  • Hawxxeye
    7775 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    edited April 2019
    As of right now we do not have almost anything good to spend the company coins at.

Would getting an epic/elite item for like 100 thousand Company coins break the marketability of the BFC?

Why do we even have the Company Coins which only served to slow down the upgrading of weapons and vehicles if they are to be useless outside of upgrades and mostly plain cosmetics?

Post edited by Hawxxeye on
  • Z4gg0R
    33 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member

Preordered and payed for Deluxe Edition, and a couple of weeks later game went on sale. Airdrops and what was in them was a bad joke, personally I feel cheated .

Epic skins for BC only, sorry EA/DICE not a dime more from me, you can keep your Epic skins.

And another thing, all other BR games have some sort of reward for winning (unique skins, coins, …) and what u get in Firestorm, big fat nothing.

Lesson learned, last time I preorder anything from EA.

• EA_Rtas
    527 postsMember, EA Staff, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, EA Moderator, Battlefield V
    edited April 2019
    Hey folks, it's understandable that not everyone is going to like BOIN's or how they're implemented and that some will have a negative opinion of them, that's fine, everyone is entitled to have their opinion and discuss it but keep the comments constructive let's keep the discussion as healthy, on topic and on point as possible
  • JDOGMcFUZZL
    125 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I might be remembering things wrong but i thought all cosmetics were going to be able to be unlocked via company coin and that there weren't going to be any special you must pay real money cosmetics to get?
  • Brenex
    24 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    EA_Rtas said:
    Hey folks, it's understandable that not everyone is going to like BOIN's or how they're implemented and that some will have a negative opinion of them, that's fine, everyone is entitled to have their opinion and discuss it but keep the comments constructive let's keep the discussion as healthy, on topic and on point as possible
    Could you please explain why you are deleting comments from people who are not agreeing with your strategy of locking all items that look OK behind a paywall, leaving only the ones nobody would buy for company coin (when you let everyone believe everything would be purchaseable by company coins too)?

The people leaving these comments, are people who bought your game, believing your promises. They are your playerbase.