Origin Downloads - Seriously?

DiscoPr0
88 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
edited April 1
Has anyone ever found a solution to the slow downloads through Origin? I know I have looked into this in the past and found that other user experience the same thing.

I recall reaching out to EA but they were not much help. I have a 100mb fiber connection to my house. Downloads are always lightning fast but right now BFV is downloading at ~6.5mb/sec :/

Comments

• G-Gnu
    1278 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    edited April 2
    Are you sure it is not 6.5 MB / sec that is half of your bandwidth (50 Mb/sec)
  • StarscreamUK
    7058 postsMember, Moderator, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Moderator
    Megabits & Megabytes are often mixed up

8Mb for example is 1MB

100Mb would allow a maximum of 12.5MB (ignoring any overheads/routing)
  • DancesWthMice
    78 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Has anyone ever found a solution to the slow downloads through Origin? I know I have looked into this in the past and found that other user experience the same thing.

I recall reaching out to EA but they were not much help. I have a 100mb fiber connection to my house. Downloads are always lightning fast but right now BFV is downloading at ~6.5mb/sec :/

Fr

From googling the issue, which I have experienced, origin does throttle patch downloads.

You won't believe this, but it is significantly faster to uninstall the game and re download the entire game with current updates through origin than have origin throttle the patch. For some reason they don't throttle whole games, just patch updates.
  • CrashCA
    919 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    And it appears only sometimes. Last patch was fine (15MB), previous one struggled to get to 1 MB.
  • GoldenBoris
    21 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    6.5gb download keeps pausing at 96%, literally 2 mins left and it wont complete...
  • Mhill2029
    79 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    You need to remember how many ppl could be accessing the servers for the updates. Your not likely to get your full speed mate.
  • TFBisquit
    1031 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Uninstalled and reinstalled last night, to see if it made it smoother. Consistent download speed of 30MB/s. That’s megabyte, not bits. Crowded moments usually cause slower speeds with these games. But the patch earlier was smooth enough also.
  • xtraKrazy
    16 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Steam: 12.5 MB/s
    Origin: 325 kb/s

Killing it Origin.
  • 5hadyBrady
    359 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited April 5
    Origin's download speeds are only half the problem. Every time you update it does a 25gb scan that takes about 10 minutes , then it downloads 10gb at 250kbps (2 hours later), and then it processes for another 10 to 20 minutes. I don't even want to play Bf5 after updates because it takes too long. Every other game I own updates in a few minutes or less.
  • Soulbreeze
    331 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Always wondered about that myself. The 'preparing' stage of 20-some gig take way longer for me than actually downloading and applying a patch.