Weekly Debrief

Pistols suck

13»

Comments

• BaronOBeefbip
    12 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Mangrey wrote: »
    Can we get a damage buff for the pistols. They're utterly useless. Hit a guy with 7 out of 8 round with my 1911 and he didn't die.

How abount learing to Aim then come back again. Lets take it from there.
    The pistols are fine damage wise

It's always sad seeing someone reluctantly defending such a disappointing game. If I hit with all 7, how is aiming my problem? Nice try.
  • Ypsilon-Oh
    249 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited January 9
    LankRich wrote: »
    If you want a pistol with a bigger punch then try the revolver.

It's still a 3 shot kill though isn't it?

Bring back the ray gun...

its a OHK to the head in "Pistol range"
  • BaronOBeefbip
    12 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    It doesn't matter if it's suppose to be a primary weapon or not if you get the jump on someone and fire first you should still have the advantage.

And using a pistol as a "finisher" after hitting them with your primary is just stupid. They should be as effective of not MORE effective as close ranges.

4 rounds to the chest is already pushing it.
  • M_Rat13
    1064 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Ugggh....

People complained pistols were too strong in BF1, so they were toned down in BFV....

Then apparently you aren't happy with that either, typical...

Dice can never win it seems...
  • Loki_Deezie
    867 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    danosta wrote: »
    Pistols are one of the most op weapons in game........ They need a Nerf and ammo reduction.

Ok, not funny if thats what u were going for.

Heh.... Have been one of the most op weapons in game.. the aim assist soaks into your targets on console, they have way too much ammo as a secondary, and I see many players at lvl 50 main handing the pistols as a primary.

no they're statistically trash tier. A BF1 Bodeo or Auto Revolver runs circles around every pistol currently in game.

This combined with the fact that most primaries got stronger from BF1 effectively gives sidearms a double nerf.

I strongly disagree. On all of it. Pistols are strong and as good as they were in bf1. Not much has really changed if anything at all. The only thing I really want to see changed is the ammo capacity reduced by 50% or more. Once you get use to them especially on console you will see how nasty they are. If you are on console, then you are not using them right with the aim assist.

I disagree. Pistols suck. Even levelcap agrees.

Lvlcap is just an average streamer now, their words are just opinions.

That and I use the 1911 and its 4 hits to kill and 3 if I hit HS.

But when I use the pistol its usually because I heard the click from my primary and had to swap meaning the guy is probably already low on HP and will only take 1 or 2 hits.

I think its because recon has few options for playing aggressively so they are forced to use pistols more often and what them to be better. What we need to do is give SLR a 1 hit kill range for HS up to lets say 20m.
  • One_Called_Kane
    191 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited January 9
    Depends on the Round... I believe the MkIV used the .455 Webley which is slightly larger than the 45 acp the 1911 uses. What is interesting, is that the 45acp the 1911 used in WWII was a faster round than the .455 Webley and have more energy to the target. the 45 acp in 230 grain FMJ would hit with about 369 ft/lbs. the .455 Webely with a 265 grain FMJ would hit with 289 ft/lb. in real life both pistols would mess up your head (the 9mm fMJ could potentially be survivable depending on location but probably will still kill you).

basically all the .45s should hit harder than the revolver other than the liberator (barrel length negates full powder burn).... but that would really mess up balance so the fact that the revolver one hit kills at all seems fair.

I believe what we have in-game is the Mk.VI, not the Mk. IV. The VI was chambered in .455, the IV was chambered in .38/200. Not confusing at all. As far as the difference between .455 and .45 ACP I agree with you.

Revolvers are ALWAYS more powerful, they harness the power of cool to make the bullets do extra damage.
  • Dr_X2345
    774 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    They do feel a little weak at the moment. Although tbf the only time I really use pistols is when I'm playing Recon and I'm either out of ammo or expecting a fight which a sniper would be horribly inappropriate for, or similar situations such as using a DMR as Assault in a very short-range area like inside a house on Narvik or Rotterdam or something.
  • smokintom214
    1794 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Pistols are one of the most op weapons in game........ They need a Nerf and ammo reduction.

Ok, not funny if thats what u were going for.

Heh.... Have been one of the most op weapons in game.. the aim assist soaks into your targets on console, they have way too much ammo as a secondary, and I see many players at lvl 50 main handing the pistols as a primary.

no they're statistically trash tier. A BF1 Bodeo or Auto Revolver runs circles around every pistol currently in game.

This combined with the fact that most primaries got stronger from BF1 effectively gives sidearms a double nerf.

I strongly disagree. On all of it. Pistols are strong and as good as they were in bf1. Not much has really changed if anything at all. The only thing I really want to see changed is the ammo capacity reduced by 50% or more. Once you get use to them especially on console you will see how nasty they are. If you are on console, then you are not using them right with the aim assist.

I disagree. Pistols suck. Even levelcap agrees.

Lvlcap is just an average streamer now, their words are just opinions.

That and I use the 1911 and its 4 hits to kill and 3 if I hit HS.

But when I use the pistol its usually because I heard the click from my primary and had to swap meaning the guy is probably already low on HP and will only take 1 or 2 hits.

I think its because recon has few options for playing aggressively so they are forced to use pistols more often and what them to be better. What we need to do is give SLR a 1 hit kill range for HS up to lets say 20m.

I agree, except I'd say 15 m for an SLR to 1shot hs kill.
  • skippylarue
    1004 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Pistols seem less capable than they were in BF1, but considering how good they were in BF1, that isn't much of a surprise. Significantly limiting their effectiveness beyond close quarter fights was a good move. They are decent in those "get yourself out a jam" moments, but that's about it.
  • Sixclicks
    5073 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    They're pretty bad. Only 2 worth using (Revolver and Repiterpistole)

Just for comparison's sake the revolver is only a 2 hit kill (OHK to head) out to 7m. Compare to BF1 revolvers around the same 200 ROF that generally could 2hk to 12m (18m for Bodeo)

Repieterpistole is 4hk to 7m @ 450rpm which isn't terrible. P38 and Luger have same damage model but are much slower ROF, so they're trash by comparison

1911 can 3 hit to 7m but has a low fire rate so isn't great even there (and it's trash as the Luger/P38 after)

Ruby is 5 hit kill minimum at same ROF as Repieterpistole. Trash again.

Liberator is meme gun like the Kolibri (except even worse, technically. Kolibri was good finisher for bolt action).

I think the Ruby has a faster draw speed than other pistols. Not sure on that though. If so, that would really be the only reason to use it, as a quick swap weapon to finish a kill such as like a backup to your bolt action rifle. Although it still kind of sucks in such a case since bolt actions don't do enough damage on body shots for the Ruby to be a one hit kill finisher.
  • XEN_wunderwaffle
    284 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Sixclicks wrote: »
    They're pretty bad. Only 2 worth using (Revolver and Repiterpistole)

Just for comparison's sake the revolver is only a 2 hit kill (OHK to head) out to 7m. Compare to BF1 revolvers around the same 200 ROF that generally could 2hk to 12m (18m for Bodeo)

Repieterpistole is 4hk to 7m @ 450rpm which isn't terrible. P38 and Luger have same damage model but are much slower ROF, so they're trash by comparison

1911 can 3 hit to 7m but has a low fire rate so isn't great even there (and it's trash as the Luger/P38 after)

Ruby is 5 hit kill minimum at same ROF as Repieterpistole. Trash again.

Liberator is meme gun like the Kolibri (except even worse, technically. Kolibri was good finisher for bolt action).

I think the Ruby has a faster draw speed than other pistols. Not sure on that though. If so, that would really be the only reason to use it, as a quick swap weapon to finish a kill such as like a backup to your bolt action rifle. Although it still kind of sucks in such a case since bolt actions don't do enough damage on body shots for the Ruby to be a one hit kill finisher.

yeah it does so little damage that you're better off eating the extra draw speed and running the revolver or 1911 for the greater chance of killing with the first shot.

Only time Ruby is best is paired with a G95 within 7m (80 dmg from the rifle + 20 from a pistol shot gives you a kill)
  • ITS_BOB_GNARLY
    2190 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    It doesn't matter if it's suppose to be a primary weapon or not if you get the jump on someone and fire first you should still have the advantage.

And using a pistol as a "finisher" after hitting them with your primary is just stupid. They should be as effective of not MORE effective as close ranges.

4 rounds to the chest is already pushing it.

I couldn't disagree with this post anymore.

Pistols are fine as they are, they're your secondary and also serve well as a finisher in a pinch. They are already extremely effective at close range.
  • macktiz45
    47 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited January 9
    Pistols are fine as they are, they're your secondary and also serve well as a finisher in a pinch. They are already extremely effective at close range.

Seeing as how the attrition system, poor recon SLR performance at close range, and presence of several support weapons that are nearly useless unless proned/bipoded, pistols are needed more than ever.
    Strangely, while nearly all other weapons are more deadly compared to BF1, the pistols actually got WEAKER thanks to the severe damage dropoff.

Given how much more needed they are I couldn’t disagree any more with calling them “fine as they are”.

Yes they can kill at extreme close range, but if the enemy is more 7m away all the pistols turn into BB guns. This 8-15m range is exactly where you most often find yourself facing an enemy around many flags, more than ever now with the changes I mentioned above, yet you don’t have a good pistol for that range, you’re pretty much screwed unless you their aim is terrible and you get a luck quick headshot or two.

The Bodeo in BF1 was 2 BTK out to 16m.
    The Mars was 3 BTK out to 22m.
    Even the little Frommer was 4 BTK out to 10m.

There is less diversity in sidearms in BFV, and what is available is undeniably weaker than their BF1 counterparts. Moreover, all the semiauto pistols “feel” and sound almost identical to me.
  • ITS_BOB_GNARLY
    2190 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    macktiz45 wrote: »

Seeing as how the attrition system, poor recon SLR performance at close range, and presence of several support weapons that are nearly useless unless proned/bipoded, pistols are needed more than ever.
    Strangely, while nearly all other weapons are more deadly compared to BF1, the pistols actually got WEAKER thanks to the severe damage dropoff.

Given how much more needed they are I couldn’t disagree any more with calling them “fine as they are”.

Yes they can kill at extreme close range, but if the enemy is more 7m away all the pistols turn into BB guns. This 8-15m range is exactly where you most often find yourself facing an enemy around many flags, more than ever now with the changes I mentioned above, yet you don’t have a good pistol for that range, you’re pretty much screwed unless you their aim is terrible and you get a luck quick headshot or two.

There is less diversity in sidearms in BFV, and what is available is undeniably weaker than their BF1 counterparts. Moreover, all the semiauto pistols “feel” and sound almost identical to me.

Which Support weapons are you referring to? I'm going to guess MMGs since you can't ADS with them, however they don't really need ADS when they shoot a wall of bullets.

Recons are really the only class that would rely more on pistols, but then again, they get throwing knives which I thoroughly enjoy.
  • macktiz45
    47 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member

Which Support weapons are you referring to? I'm going to guess MMGs since you can't ADS with them, however they don't really need ADS when they shoot a wall of bullets.

Recons are really the only class that would rely more on pistols, but then again, they get throwing knives which I thoroughly enjoy.

Yes, the MMG’s. I admit I don’t have much experience with the MG-x guns. They felt so clunky, I’d rather have a Lewis w/extended mag because it’s ok (not great) for ads and hipfire. Being on the receiving end of the mmg hipfire quite often though- you’re right about the very uplose part (who needs aim with the 980 RPM at 5m), I’ll still beat them every single time at that 8-15m gap I mentioned. This range is where they SHOULD want to pull out their pistol, but don’t currently because hipfiring an mmg at 10m is as good or better than pulling your nerf gun pistol, which is a problem.

And yes the throwing knives are pretty fun. Shame they cut it down to only 2. I wouldn’t say they make up for poor pistols though.
  • Sixclicks
    5073 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited January 10

Having a good pistol is actually pretty important with the MMGs. They may output a ton of bullets, but they're all over the damn place when you're not aiming. With the fast TTK of this game, you'll usually die long before the random hipfire spread will kill your opponent unless you're pretty much point blank. Sometimes I'll get lucky and kill a guy with hipfire pretty quickly. Most times you're unlucky and barely hit him. Granted, I don't have the MG42 yet. That thing spits out a lot more bullets. Might be better with the hipfire. I'm using the VGO.

So I think having a good backup pistol is pretty important.

Although, I play recon the most. It's clearly the class that would benefit most from a pistol buff since they rely on their pistol more than any other class.

I'd gladly welcome at least a damage dropoff range increase for pistols. The damage itself is fine.
  • thebossman2202
    377 postsMember, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member

Having a good pistol is actually pretty important with the MMGs. They may output a ton of bullets, but they're all over the damn place when you're not aiming. With the fast TTK of this game, you'll usually die long before the random hipfire spread will kill your opponent unless you're pretty much point blank. Sometimes I'll get lucky and kill a guy with hipfire pretty quickly. Most times you're unlucky and barely hit him. Granted, I don't have the MG42 yet. That thing spits out a lot more bullets. Might be better with the hipfire. I'm using the VGO.

Although, I play recon the most. It's clearly the class that would benefit most from a pistol buff since they rely on their pistol more than any other class.

I'd gladly welcome at least a damage dropoff range increase for pistols. The damage itself is fine.

Im a support main and I agree that a good pistol is need but I think people should to ADS more often with their pistols
  • ITS_BOB_GNARLY

Admittedly I don't have much experience myself with MMGs, I'm just going off what I've seen Jackfrags & Stodeh do with them.

I see both yours and macktiz45 points though and agree on increasing pistols drop off range, it is more on the severe side.
  • badbenson
    5 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    problem i seem to have is aim punch or suppression or something similar i haven't determined yet. i haven't recorded anything to analyse it but there are a lot of moments where i make sure i ADS and even on a stationary target the second shot is not hitting eventhough the first did. i'm pretty sure it has something to do with aim punch or suppression because it only happens to me when i'm getting shot back at.
    i also feel like hipfire is way too bad too. you have to get comically close to hit remotely close to where you're aiming while moving. i understand that there has to be some type of balance but i thought we were past weird **** like curving bullet flyight paths. again, so far it's just guessing but there are too many instances of having your aim right on target with ADS and nothing happening.
    i'd rather have pistols buffed in terms of hipfire accuracy or way lowered aim punch and have them do less damage or something. this kind of stuff is why i could never fully get into bf1. if my ADS is lined up i want my shot to hit. make my ADS sway or something but don't do this gamey stuff that makes no sense on screen.
  • Juanicee
    19 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I agree. The revolver is good, the rest are trash.