Revert plane mechanics back to the way they were.

LankRich
106 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
This doesn't need to be explained massively in depth, as anyone who enjoys their fighters will understand. But the new plane mechanics are hideous.  Bombers and attack planes haven't necessarily changed a huge amount, but fighters just feel awful and aren't half as fun as they used to be.

I'm failing to see how anything they've done could benefit 'the experienced pilot', when they now handle like a ferry.
Whenever you try to gently move the nose, the plane bounces around like it's strapped to a bungee cord (like how tanks do if you're trying to aim whilst on an uneven surface) and pulling out of dives is near enough impossible without colliding with the ground. Everything about the manoeuvrability feels off.

It's incredibly frustrating when out of the long list of problems that this game has and of the things that needed attention and fixing, they chose to patch the planes. 

Comments

• lolingbuffalo
    30 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Did they change something? I used to be decent with bombers and stuff and now I'll do three bomb runs on breakthrough and not get a single kill. Just tons of hitmarkers
  • TropicPoison
    2318 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Keep dreaming dice don't even know how to fix things in BFV they change it and then hope for the best, I think the frostbite engine has become a main source of all the problems.
  • LankRich
    106 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Did they change something? I used to be decent with bombers and stuff and now I'll do three bomb runs on breakthrough and not get a single kill. Just tons of hitmarkers
    It may have been the patch before Firestorm, or the one which was released with it; but they changed the physics of the fighters and change the way they handle, which they said would favour the more experienced pilot...
  • YourLocalPlumber
    2623 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Keep dreaming dice don't even know how to fix things in BFV they change it and then hope for the best, I think the frostbite engine has become a main source of all the problems.
    They don't even have to "Fix" anything. Just look up what numbers you have before that patch, type them in instead of current ones and there you go, instant fix. The whole thing would take less than a day of work for a single developer.
  • TropicPoison
    2318 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    edited April 8
    TropicPoison said:

They don't even have to "Fix" anything. Just look up what numbers you have before that patch, type them in instead of current ones and there you go, instant fix. The whole thing would take less than a day of work for a single developer.

You're giving them far too much credit, this is dice we're talking about here...If it's not broken break it, I bet someone has that in a frame somewhere at dice.
  • olavafar
    1929 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Agree, all planes fly like bombers now. There is no reason to fly fighters except for the 'bridge run' on twisted steel.
  • SirBobdk
    3861 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I wonder why they thought it was necessary to change aircraft mechanics.
    It has only meant that most people now use bombers.
    I'm still flying fighters, but it's rare that I have another fighter behind me. Dogfights rarely happen.
    But now I have plenty of time to hunt infantry and shoot down bombers.
    However, it quickly becomes boring.
  • LankRich
    SirBobdk wrote: »
    I wonder why they thought it was necessary to change aircraft mechanics.It has only meant that most people now use bombers.I'm still flying fighters, but it's rare that I have another fighter behind me. Dogfights rarely happen.But now I have plenty of time to hunt infantry and shoot down bombers.However, it quickly becomes boring.

Dog fights usually result in one pilot crashing into the ground from being unable to pull up. The Ju88 is your best all round option for dogfights and bombing runs now
  • Hawxxeye
    5024 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    edited April 8
    LankRich said:
    SirBobdk wrote: »
    I wonder why they thought it was necessary to change aircraft mechanics.It has only meant that most people now use bombers.I'm still flying fighters, but it's rare that I have another fighter behind me. Dogfights rarely happen.But now I have plenty of time to hunt infantry and shoot down bombers.However, it quickly becomes boring.

Dog fights usually result in one pilot crashing into the ground from being unable to pull up.

This happens disturbingly often.
  • mattd3162014
    313 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    The  only thing they need to change is to increase the fighter planes speed as i feel like they have slowed them back to almost beta speed apart from that the new flight mechanics are good its actually a lot easier to out fly people now.
  • SirBobdk
    3861 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited April 8
    LankRich said:
    Dog fights usually result in one pilot crashing into the ground from being unable to pull up. 
    Agree, I see this happening a lot or people just give up and crash their plane. But it's not only that. I also see more inexperienced pilots who have difficulty handling the mechanics. Almost like the experienced pilots have left the game.
  • xKusagamix
    875 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    People are dogfighting Fighter planes with Bomber planes, it's already that bad.
  • dayglowfroggy
    397 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I think the changes were so new or not very good pilots could stay in the air for more than a minute with out getting shot down by an ace fighter.

I think it achieved that.

However the fighters feel rubbish now and just fall out of the air without being able to pull up.

I have had more fun since the patch as a not very good pilot but then everyone else is normally in bombers so it's slow dogfights in bombers that are the order of the day.

I just wish we had a speedometer on the hud then you might be able to tell if you are too slow to fly there is no real sensation of how fast you are unlike bf1.
  • Hawxxeye
    5024 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    People are dogfighting Fighter planes with Bomber planes, it's already that bad.

One would expect something as light as a fighter to have much greater acceleration than a bomber
  • LankRich
    I’m glad but also not glad that are more of you who feel this way.

Also I don’t really know understand the route they’re going down with ground attack planes.

For instance for the Allies, I think the only real contender and threat for attacking ground targets is the new Mosquito. Yet the 4000lb bomb (which is almost as big as the v1 rocket) has had its blast radius reduced to that of a hand grenade. I don’t see the point in adding something so powerful to the game, only for it be nerfed that extent. Of the 2 Blenheims, the first one is effective against ground targets. The second is just cannon fodder and doesn’t really offer any ground attacking options.

As for the Axis, your best hope is either the Stuka B1 or the JU 88u. The Stuka B2 and Ju88c don’t have any weight behind them. Despite having insanely cool and powerful main weapons, they have both been nerfed to **** when trying to take down ground targets (including infantry).
    However just like the mosquito, if you use them against enemy aircraft, they’re lethal contenders.
  • KorpusDraige
    2296 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I mean there is a group of experienced pilots who regularly do 1v1s and scrims and came together to write up how to improve the physics of the planes for BFV and sent it to them. However, they obviously just ignored it to give us these physics lol. Not sure in what world they figure turtle turning due to heavy affect from gravity equals fun and increases the skill gap for experienced pilots? Having slow turning with a huge FOV makes defense that much "harder" (if you want to call it harder) and only forces people to just stall for defense, such a boring meta.
  • ItalianoCannon
    12 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    this new plane balance is somewhat awful but still much better than the older model. The older model basically turns every equal dogfight into an endless looping game, or even stupid stalling race. The new model makes the pilot has to build elevation and reserve altitude in the dogfights in order to make a move, that is why most of the pilot cannot handle this new balance. 
  • KorpusDraige
    2296 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    this new plane balance is somewhat awful but still much better than the older model. The older model basically turns every equal dogfight into an endless looping game, or even stupid stalling race. The new model makes the pilot has to build elevation and reserve altitude in the dogfights in order to make a move, that is why most of the pilot cannot handle this new balance. 
    There's really nothing to "handle" with the new physics, just boring to use. They're MUCH slower, if you thought people stalled before, these new ones would probably make people do it a lot more.
  • IDirtY_SeCreT
    527 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    edited April 8
    Hawxxeye said:

One would expect something as light as a fighter to have much greater acceleration than a bomber
    The problem is fighters lose more speed due to the new physics while bombers can easier retain energy. Once the fighter loses speed it's not easy to regain it once you're to low and someone on your six forces you to circle around. That's why bombers can keep up with fighters in these situations. Flying up will only make you an even easier target since you lose even more speed. Yes it forces you to think more before acting but it mainly applies for fighters and not so much for bombers.

Flying high might help you retain energy though it also makes you an easy target once someone sees you an gets on your tail. So anyway you might want to go low and use the mapdesign to your advantage. And that results in the aforementioned problems. Sounds good in theory doesn't work that well ingame ;)

• Masqerader
    613 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member

They added ridiclous stall mechanics, on top of an overheat mechanics while having very limited ammo.

But infantry can still take tank rounds and bombs like nothing happened