This Week in Battlefield V

Idea to keep more players - handicap system

Lowigi
55 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
Hi,

The playerbase of BF V is not the biggest right now. One reason is probably some players stopped playing because they don't like the path that the developers have chosen, we've had many discussions about that on this forum and I don't want to start a new one, I just want to discuss an idea.

Some players have also leaved because they find it to difficult. They meet to many skilled players and they stand almost no chance in winning a gun fight.
Imagine you never touched a controller in your life and you've never played any shooter and you start playing online today. I know some guys who are trying and I can tell you the need a very big level of sado-masochism to keep up. They're being killed constantly and are running k/d's of around 0,15-0,18. That's tough to bear, even if you're a "good loser". A lot of people give up disappointed and we lose players.

So I'm thinking about some kind of system where the game keeps track of your skill level and gives certain advantages to low skilled players and maybe disadvantages to high skilled players. The objective is to level the playing feeld. If you're a good player, you will still do good but the "noob" will also have a better chance to win more fight. As he gets better results, he gets less advantages and so on. Skill level can be determined by a combination of k/d, playing time, kills/min, hit percentage, win percentage, winning gunfights against other skilled players, ...
The advantages that starters get could be: getting more hitpoints, less recoil, more damage per hit, faster movement speed, ...
Think of it like the handicap system in golf. Because of this system, a pro player can have a competitive, fun game with an amateur.
Of course this system has to be well thought of and well made, so it cannot be abused.

For strong players, it's an honor to run around with the lowest handicap possible and a challenge to still perform well. The system shouldn't be so that strong players become the waekest now and noobs are the strongest, but the intention is to make the distance between the pro's and the starters not so big.

What do you think, worst idea ever or could it help a game like BF to keep more (less skilled) players on board or start playing?

De_Stroik

Comments

• ElliotLH
    8376 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    While it's a very interesting idea there is an exploitable flaw: Smurf accounts. If 'good' players start to get handicapped then what's to stop them from creating another account and using the newbie benefits combined with their map/game knowledge?  

I would also be inclined to believe that if you were to give benefits to 'noobs' then players who are deemed good might not be best pleased being handicapped as then there wasn't much point in getting better in the first place. I started playing this series with BF1 and I was the worst and spent most of my early play time looking at the redeploy screen (No joke. Think I was on 20K deaths before I'd hit rank 100). But I persevered, watched and listened to better or more experienced players and saw a few YouTube videos on positioning etc and I ended up with a 2.10 overall KD, in the top 0.1% for Medic class and quite often top the scoreboards when I play that game now. Obviously a lot of that carried over to BFV although admittedly I'm pretty average in this title compared to a lot of people. 

Don't get me wrong as I do think that there are things which could help improve the experience for new players, such as better tutorials, improving the training grounds or maybe even newbie servers with a rank cap (smurf accounts would still be a problem there though), but I just don't think that a handicap system and penalising people in general is the way to go.
  • The_BERG_366
    2316 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Lowigi wrote: »
    Hi,

The playerbase of BF V is not the biggest right now. One reason is probably some players stopped playing because they don't like the path that the developers have chosen, we've had many discussions about that on this forum and I don't want to start a new one, I just want to discuss an idea.

Some players have also leaved because they find it to difficult. They meet to many skilled players and they stand almost no chance in winning a gun fight.
    Imagine you never touched a controller in your life and you've never played any shooter and you start playing online today. I know some guys who are trying and I can tell you the need a very big level of sado-masochism to keep up. They're being killed constantly and are running k/d's of around 0,15-0,18. That's tough to bear, even if you're a "good loser". A lot of people give up disappointed and we lose players.

So I'm thinking about some kind of system where the game keeps track of your skill level and gives certain advantages to low skilled players and maybe disadvantages to high skilled players. The objective is to level the playing feeld. If you're a good player, you will still do good but the "noob" will also have a better chance to win more fight. As he gets better results, he gets less advantages and so on. Skill level can be determined by a combination of k/d, playing time, kills/min, hit percentage, win percentage, winning gunfights against other skilled players, ...
    The advantages that starters get could be: getting more hitpoints, less recoil, more damage per hit, faster movement speed, ...
    Think of it like the handicap system in golf. Because of this system, a pro player can have a competitive, fun game with an amateur.
    Of course this system has to be well thought of and well made, so it cannot be abused.

For strong players, it's an honor to run around with the lowest handicap possible and a challenge to still perform well. The system shouldn't be so that strong players become the waekest now and noobs are the strongest, but the intention is to make the distance between the pro's and the starters not so big.

What do you think, worst idea ever or could it help a game like BF to keep more (less skilled) players on board or start playing?

De_Stroik

I honestly think this is a terrible idea. the solution to this is not to create an artifical balance where there is no balance in the first place, but to generate "natural" balance. now introducing a skillbased matchmaking would require a rather large player pool as there are 64 player server modes. anyhow this would basically be ranked play anyways which would be cool but could never replace the normal matchmaking bringing me back to the point I actually want to make: bf is no exception to this. if you are bad you won't perform well... that's simply the nature of any game or life in general. bfv was designed to be skillbased (except for things like the console aim assist. whoever designed the current aim assist system should never be involved in the design thereof ever again), which is what people asked for. your system would go completely against the games philosophy. also all other games with "casual" matchmaking work the same. if you play a fps for the first time with a controller you might wanna start off by playing a bit of single player. the learning curve (as with almost anything in life) is very steep in the beginning so you will make a lot of progress in the first few hours/days. your system would maybe gain a few players for the community but at the same time it would lose a lot of dedicated (and hence more valuable) players at the same time which is pretty much the opposite of whst you wanted in the first place.
  • Mr_Deviouss
    31 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Hahahaha no just get better
  • ninjapenquinuk
    1834 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Bringing back Noob servers could help.  Yes, this wouldnt stop smurf accounts but good players would have to keep making new accounts pretty often.
  • DCAT627
    51 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Why would good players would make new accounts accounts? So they be a level 4 with a 6 KDR? what is the point of that? KDR in Battlefield has no value in life!

I like to play battlefield precisely because it is an open competition with the world, sometimes I kick butt and sometimes I get my butt kicked but that is the point - so no if  Noobs get frustrated and quit, so be it, handicap system is not needed.
  • Claypole1
    381 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Dice already tried a handicap system to help noobs, it was called Battlefield One. 

• The_BERG_366
    2316 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    DCAT627 wrote: »
    Why would good players would make new accounts accounts? So they be a level 4 with a 6 KDR? what is the point of that? KDR in Battlefield has no value in life!

I like to play battlefield precisely because it is an open competition with the world, sometimes I kick butt and sometimes I get my butt kicked but that is the point - so no if  Noobs get frustrated and quit, so be it, handicap system is not needed.

Im sure youre well aware that there are plenty of players that care more than enough about kd to make new accounts...
  • DCAT627
    51 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    DCAT627 wrote: »

Im sure youre well aware that there are plenty of players that care more than enough about kd to make new accounts...
    Yes, I am aware that there are players like that. All I can say to them is “get a life”.  It’s bad enough that I play as much as I do, but to cheat/lie/exploit to brag on this forum about valueless stats, to me, is an indication of serious mental health problems. Anyone who does that needs an intervention.
  • Lowigi
    55 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Thanks for your ideas. Maybe my idea is not the greatest, I know but just wanted some opinion about features or a system to level the playing field and keep more players on board.
    It's true and just to say: just practice and get better. Getting better means investing many many hours and this should be rewarded, I totally agree.
    However, I'm afraid to many players give up now before they reach the skilled stadium. 
    I invested a total time of around +/-1500 hrs in total in BF4, BF1 and now BF V. I'm defenitely no pro but my "skill" is good enough to have fun.

I guess messing around with features that level the playing field isn't the right choice then...

• Lancelot_du_Lac
    34 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    How about new players get every weapon and attachment to start, the lose attachments and weapons as they progress?
  • NastySix
    105 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    How about new players get every weapon and attachment to start, the lose attachments and weapons as they progress?

Yes...And start at max rank and go down?

And ofcourse have a long beard that slowly disapears!