About flight models and planes...

CrimsoNSamurai98
63 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Member
edited May 2016
I already know that planes will have damage as in chucks of canvas flying off your plane, but is that all about planes? What about busting your tail controls, breaking your flaps, damaged engines that spew oil on your windshield as they slowly fail and decrease in engine power? Will damaged planes have worse flight characteristics than undamaged ones? How will pilots repair their planes? Does this mean that an airfield will have an actual role now (as in land for repair and rearm). What about ammo (Is it gonna stay unlimited or will we have to return to base and land). And what about controls? Will we have separate view controls and realistic flight models? In BF4 you can't even barrel roll because you can't use your rudder. Will BF1 have flight mechanics as... let's say... War Thunder or Heroes and Generals or IL-2 Sturmovik and so on?
In BF4 energy advantage means nothing and dogfighting comes down to better throttle control rather than real maneuvers.

Aviation played a huge roll in WW1 and it will be a shame if you don't do it justice...

I know you cannot reveal a lot, yet, but you can drop some hints at least. Please :)
Post edited by CrimsoNSamurai98 on

Comments

• CrimsoNSamurai98
    Edit: Wrong category, my bad :P
  • Crispy_Pinguin
    1598 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    I hope if they shoot my red baron plane you can shoot chunks out of it but still fly!
  • CrimsoNSamurai98
    edited May 2016
    I hope if they shoot my red baron plane you can shoot chunks out of it but still fly!

if it's fuselage damage you should be fine. Elevator damage should influence pitch up/down controls, rudder yawing, ailerons rolling. engine damage should make the aircraft much slower and unable to climb well (unless it stops completely, then you would have to glide back to base). Other that that, holes in fuselage and parts of wings near the center of the plane shouldn't affect your flight performance in any serious matter.
    But you're not gonna fly and maneuver with half your wing missing, or all your tail controls busted...
  • JuveOG1105
    267 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Medal of Honor Warfighter Member

if it's fuselage damage you should be fine. Elevator damage should influence pitch up/down controls, rudder yawing, ailerons rolling. engine damage should make the aircraft much slower and unable to climb well (unless it stops completely, then you would have to glide back to base). Other that that, holes in fuselage and parts of wings near the center of the plane shouldn't affect your flight performance in any serious matter.
    But you're not gonna fly and maneuver with half your wing missing, or all your tail controls busted...

This is what I'm hoping for. I want to shoot some up then watch them coast into the ground and crash due to mechanical failure.
  • BaronVonGoon
    6153 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Planes would be perfect in BF1 if you see a great pilot and are able to shoot him down with a handgun.
  • CrimsoNSamurai98
    edited May 2016
    Nobel83-9 wrote: »
    Planes would be perfect in BF1 if you see a great pilot and are able to shoot him down with a handgun.

A common theory is that the infamous Red Baron was shot down by a rifle bullet. Pilots were instructed not to fly too low to avoid ground fire. The first form of anti-air was a squad of soldiers laying on the ground (on their backs) and aiming at the plane to create a sorta anti-air shotgun (some rifles had special T shaped iron sights for that)

And even the first form of air combat were regular civil planes passing by each other while the pilots shot each other with their pistols... true story
  • CrimsoNSamurai98
    JuveOG1105 wrote: »

This is what I'm hoping for. I want to shoot some up then watch them coast into the ground and crash due to mechanical failure.

or into a windmill :P
  • JuveOG1105
    267 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Medal of Honor Warfighter Member

Even more epic lol won't lie I'm probably going yell banzai as I kamikaze myself into a battleship.
  • CrimsoNSamurai98

Even more epic lol won't lie I'm probably going yell banzai as I kamikaze myself into a battleship.

Yup, lol, but I don't think there'll be kamikaze damage. Maybe just regular impact damage
  • Bush_Kangaroo74
    117 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    I already know that planes will have damage as in chucks of canvas flying off your plane, but is that all about planes? What about busting your tail controls, breaking your flaps, damaged engines that spew oil on your windshield as they slowly fail and decrease in engine power? Will damaged planes have worse flight characteristics than undamaged ones? How will pilots repair their planes? Does this mean that an airfield will have an actual role now (as in land for repair and rearm). What about ammo (Is it gonna stay unlimited or will we have to return to base and land). And what about controls? Will we have separate view controls and realistic flight models? In BF4 you can't even barrel roll because you can't use your rudder. Will BF1 have flight mechanics as... let's say... War Thunder or Heroes and Generals or IL-2 Sturmovik and so on?
    In BF4 energy advantage means nothing and dogfighting comes down to better throttle control rather than real maneuvers.

Aviation played a huge roll in WW1 and it will be a shame if you don't do it justice...

I know you cannot reveal a lot, yet, but you can drop some hints at least. Please :)

Go back to playing your IL 2 sturmovik game.. I don't want to see BF1 crush because you plane is not falling apart before you die....

• Turban_Legend80
    4241 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Member
    I just hope the damage is balanced. One person should not be able to shoot down a plane without having to restock, unless he shoots the pilot.

Why would you hope for something like that? Do you have underlying issues against enemy air?
  • JuveOG1105
    I just hope the damage is balanced. One person should not be able to shoot down a plane without having to restock, unless he shoots the pilot.

Why would you hope for something like that? Do you have underlying issues against enemy air?

Yeah their the enemy especially if you can't bail out. It will bring that immersion of they're helpless. Didn't mean anything malicious.
  • ToniSwoleDawg
    53 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    I would like the usual flight meachanics which were already present in BF1943, BF3 and BF4. Too much experimentation would most likely break the experience for me.
  • CrimsoNSamurai98

Go back to playing your IL 2 sturmovik game.. I don't want to see BF1 crush because you plane is not falling apart before you die....
    Why would it 'crush'?
    The main point isn't modular damage, it's better flight mechanics. And I didn't propose simulation mechanics like flat spins and G locks and what-not, Battlefield isn't meant to be a flight simulator, but the current flight models are making a lot of players cringe, myself included. Even BF1942 had better plane controls than it's successors...
    The main point of the topic are the plane controls and behavior in the skies (undamaged aircraft).
    Currently, you cannot barrel roll, you cannot stall nor lose speed, you cannot look around while maneuvering giving you tunnel vision and handicapping you. Dogfights consist of competing in throttle regulation...
    In WW1 dogfights were won by skill, doing the right maneuver at the right time, fooling your opponent and so on, not by constantly flying around 315km/h while one of you gives up or gets SPAA'd.
  • CrimsoNSamurai98
    edited June 2016
    I would like the usual flight meachanics which were already present in BF1943, BF3 and BF4. Too much experimentation would most likely break the experience for me.

Aw hell naw! These controls are simple, way too simple. I am not saying BF1 should have simulator level flight controls, but at least to a somewhat realistic degree...
    You cannot even barrel roll right with these controls, nor can you look around while doing maneuvers...
    Basically, it's impossible to keep an eye on your opponent in dogfights
  • CrimsoNSamurai98

Yes, it should be balanced, but fair. IRL, the planes were made out of canvas and wood, easily destroyed by even a single 7.7mm gun. For the sake of gameplay, this much damage input shouldn't be in game (unless for some realistic hardcore mode maybe). You shouldn't be able to destroy an enemy with a small burst, but neither by wasting a whole ammo rack. I think aircraft damage from other aircraft is balanced as it currently is in BF4, maybe, just maybe increase the damage by just a tiny bit.
  • smys123
    973 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    in BF2 the .50cal sniper rifle could penetrate jet/chopper glass - I'd think that open cockpits would be prime targets if exposed.
  • ToniSwoleDawg
    53 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member

Aw hell naw! These controls are simple, way too simple. I am not saying BF1 should have simulator level flight controls, but at least to a somewhat realistic degree...
    You cannot even barrel roll right with these controls, nor can you look around while doing maneuvers...

What the hell are you talking about? You can do barrel rolls by simply holding the righ stick to the side.
  • CrimsoNSamurai98
    edited June 2016

What the hell are you talking about? You can do barrel rolls by simply holding the righ stick to the side.

I am talking about a barrel roll, what the hell are YOU talking about?
    co0.jpg
    Barrel roll requires using elevator, ailerons and the rudder, impossible with current BF's controls. The closest you can get is aileron+elevator, which is still not a barrel roll.
  • CGPsaint
    18 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield Member
    CrimsoNSamurai98 - Great post. I think that it's safe to say that the term "barrel roll" is misused just as often as "clip," in place of "magazine."