This Week in Battlefield V

While it’s nice to see DICE has finally given us a finished product...

MSKelly1976
207 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
So I stopped playing about a month and a half ago cuz I was just over the excuses for why the game was a glorified Beta. The last couple days I’ve jumped on again to see if DICE has gotten their act together. And while it’s nice to see almost 6 months after release that they’ve finally patched it into a finished product, doing so removes any other distractions of the game and we’re left with a undeniably boring game...

There’s just simply no getting around it.

Comments

• MSKelly1976
    207 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Well, it seems better than when I left it...
  • aRrAyStArTaT0
    786 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member

Incase you couldn't tell, people around here really don't like people are defending, or even suggesting not to hate on, DICE.
  • IDirtY_SeCreT
    530 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member

Incase you couldn't tell, people around here really don't like people are defending, or even suggesting not to hate on, DICE.

Uhm the hate train also arrived on reddit some weeks ago ;)
  • von_Campenstein
    6568 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    If this is the finished product they are finished.
  • aRrAyStArTaT0
    786 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member

Apparently nobody cares that there's good things to say about the game. The graphics? Amazing. The problem is you have a disadvantage (framerate + asset loading wise) if you use them to their full potential so it's best left to use those in Single player. The gunplay? Pretty good. Just kinda annoying every gun is more accurate than they are in the future time set games (Somehow, WWII ARs and SMGs are more accurate than Modern day Snipers) and that would help TTK a little.
    There's definetly a lot they're doing right, and they don't get any love for it. It happens every BF game too. Things will continue to break as they add more stuff. That's always been the situation and that's always what will happen. I know I signed up for that. At this point, everyone should know that's what they signed up for. BF4 was broken up until after the last DLC released, yet now, it's one of the most polished games past 2010. Same thing with BF:H and BF1. Just give it time. Nobody is patient anymore and everyone pulls the "Well I paid a full $80 and I demand more" attitude yet doesn't realize that so did like... a lot of people. It's simply irrational to ignore everyone else's existence in the market and act like your $ is more valuable than literally everyone elses'.
  • aRrAyStArTaT0

Apparently nobody cares that there's good things to say about the game. The graphics? Amazing. The problem is you have a disadvantage (framerate + asset loading wise) if you use them to their full potential so it's best left to use those in Single player. The gunplay? Pretty good. Just kinda annoying every gun is more accurate than they are in the future time set games (Somehow, WWII ARs and SMGs are more accurate than Modern day Snipers) and that would help TTK a little.
    There's definetly a lot they're doing right, and they don't get any love for it. It happens every BF game too. Things will continue to break as they add more stuff. That's always been the situation and that's always what will happen. I know I signed up for that. At this point, everyone should know that's what they signed up for. BF4 was broken up until after the last DLC released, yet now, it's one of the most polished games past 2010. Same thing with BF:H and BF1. Just give it time. Nobody is patient anymore and everyone pulls the "Well I paid a full $80 and I demand more" attitude yet doesn't realize that so did like... a lot of people. It's simply irrational to ignore everyone else's existence in the market and act like your $ is more valuable than literally everyone elses'.
    You're wrong, BF1 was fine on release, they broke it later so no, you saying it's the same doesn't make it so.
    I mean, from what I've heard, it was still broken. Even if it was fine on launch and broken later on, my point still stands. Add things and other things break. Bugs take time to iron out, and if they're just adding more bugs via content, then it's not going to stop until they stop adding content. From their POV, it doesn't make much sense to fix every bug as there's probably going to be more bugs later in a content update.
  • TropicPoison
    2414 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    You're talking about BFV right? Delusional if so no offense.

Given us a finished product at this point in time? Not even close, you're right about one thing it's boring.
  • Broliszibaila
    290 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    This guy has really low standarts for the game.
  • parkingbrake
    3202 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member

Yes, it has nice graphics, and a lot of the gameplay is good, I (mostly) have fun playing BFV. But the network performance is still odd, there are still too many "one-frame" deaths, too many players moving like the proverbial cartoon ninjas. There are other serious issues outside game mechanics, e.g. the lack of rented servers, the weak anti-cheat, the lack of new content thanks to the Live Service business model (which EA has made a mess of in every game where they're tried it), and the developer's apparent confusion over whether they want a historically authentic game or a cartoonish fantasy game in a sort-of WWII setting. And that's the problem, in some ways BFV is very good, but its flaws are significant and really call into question how much of a future this game has. Most of this is due to EA's incompetence, they've actually chosen to do things that in the long run are going to hurt this game because many of their customers see these choices as serious problems. DICE's negative contribution seems to be a lack of insight into Frostbite and perhaps a lack of creative spark that produced generally better maps and other content in previous titles. So yeah, I know what you mean about the negativity some folks here display, I'm not afraid to say I'm still enjoying BFV. But I'm also doubting that I'll have much interest in BF6 if they repeat the sort of foolish decisions they've made in BFV.
  • aRrAyStArTaT0

Yes, it has nice graphics, and a lot of the gameplay is good, I (mostly) have fun playing BFV. But the network performance is still odd, there are still too many "one-frame" deaths, too many players moving like the proverbial cartoon ninjas. There are other serious issues outside game mechanics, e.g. the lack of rented servers, the weak anti-cheat, the lack of new content thanks to the Live Service business model (which EA has made a mess of in every game where they're tried it), and the developer's apparent confusion over whether they want a historically authentic game or a cartoonish fantasy game in a sort-of WWII setting. And that's the problem, in some ways BFV is very good, but its flaws are significant and really call into question how much of a future this game has. Most of this is due to EA's incompetence, they've actually chosen to do things that in the long run are going to hurt this game because many of their customers see these choices as serious problems. DICE's negative contribution seems to be a lack of insight into Frostbite and perhaps a lack of creative spark that produced generally better maps and other content in previous titles. So yeah, I know what you mean about the negativity some folks here display, I'm not afraid to say I'm still enjoying BFV. But I'm also doubting that I'll have much interest in BF6 if they repeat the sort of foolish decisions they've made in BFV.
    They've made their decision on what they want. They've clearly decided for something in the middle. If we're going to sit there and treat BFV like a hyper realistic WWII shooter, then we're clearly kidding ourselves. We need to realize that this is a Video game and should be treated as such. There's no reason to expect hyper reality in this situation. Sure, lots of people want a WWII game with Normandy + Stalingrad + Berlin, but that's not something the developers are interested in. Why would we make another WWII game with the same missions we've played dozens of times before in COD and other franchises? It doesn't make sense and will surely lead to BFV's lack of stand-out-ness that they tend to have. By focusing on these smaller battles, it actually shifts the focus to them also being important. But for real, would you rather have a 10th game that focuses on Normandy and the invasion of Berlin? or would you rather have something that's less stereotypical than that??? I know I'd like the latter over the former.
    I think EA really screwed the pooch on this one. They gave somewhat impossible deadlines (such that it's nearly impossible to come out on time without some flaws and that it had to be pushed back a few times). It's EA execs that said "If you don't like it, don't buy it" (which I can see but it's a bit ridiculous to not like the game because girls). EA pushed the lootboxes on other games. EA pushed the live service of the game, and EA knows that BF titles have issues when new content gets released so a continuous stream of content isn't the best idea. EA has done 90% of the things that are wrong here. Not to say DICE is faultless (I mean, look at their ability to do things), but at some point, you have to acknowledge who's really at fault here, and it's clear that it's not DICE.
    At this point, my advice for anyone that's still complaining non-stop about this game: Stop playing and stop caring. Move on to something else. Stop wasting energy on something you've said you don't like and you "know" won't be fixed. Stop spilling out personal hate towards individuals and leave. Nothing is keeping you here. Most of you have well over 20 hours in the game. You've gotten your money's worth at $3 (or less)/hr.
  • BFB-LeCharybdis
    814 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    Stahlmach said:
     Sure, lots of people want a WWII game with Normandy + Stalingrad + Berlin, but that's not something the developers are interested in. Why would we make another WWII game with the same missions we've played dozens of times before in COD and other franchises? It doesn't make sense and will surely lead to BFV's lack of stand-out-ness that they tend to have. By focusing on these smaller battles, it actually shifts the focus to them also being important.
    Dont fool yourself. Nobody will remember this Game or its Battles as something great that stands out of the Line. Their " unknown Battles " approach was and is a Joke which is just poorly executed. There would have been plenty of other possibilities and ways to going down this way AND creating something unique while giving the players the glimpse of future Battles the majority knows and wants to see.
    But what do we got instead ? The " famous " - never happened - Battle of Rotterdam fought by the british....Battles between Tiger Tanks and Valentines in Northafrica although the timeline is still 1940.
    Unknown Battles...What a Joke....
    I know the iconic battles mean more to some players than others, but to be honest the maps could be Stalingrad, the moon or my local pub on a Friday night, a good game plays well no matter the location.

Until they fix the NetCode, Visibility (on normal console with a regular tv it's like pouring battery acid into your eyes.) and the fracking Assault class it will always be sub par and inevitably forgettable.
  • SirBobdk
    4070 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Finished product?
    I have to try it. How do I get it and do I have to deinstall the current one :D
  • doctorrocktor
    1800 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Dice are now in charge of firestorm,i wonder what that spells out for standard bfv.I have just seen the tweet,remember when they said our full focus is on bfv,criterion are moving on to another project.
  • spartanx169x
    698 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    IDirtY_SeCreT said:

aRrAyStArTaT0 said:

MSKelly1976 said:

Apparently nobody cares that there's good things to say about the game. The graphics? Amazing. The problem is you have a disadvantage (framerate + asset loading wise) if you use them to their full potential so it's best left to use those in Single player. The gunplay? Pretty good. Just kinda annoying every gun is more accurate than they are in the future time set games (Somehow, WWII ARs and SMGs are more accurate than Modern day Snipers) and that would help TTK a little..There's definetly a lot they're doing right, and they don't get any love for it. It happens every BF game too. Things will continue to break as they add more stuff. That's always been the situation and that's always what will happen. I know I signed up for that. At this point, everyone should know that's what they signed up for. BF4 was broken up until after the last DLC released, yet now, it's one of the most polished games past 2010. Same thing with BF:H and BF1. Just give it time. Nobody is patient anymore and everyone pulls the "Well I paid a full $80 and I demand more" attitude yet doesn't realize that so did like... a lot of people. It's simply irrational to ignore everyone else's existence in the market and act like your $ is more valuable than literally everyone elses'.

Good graphics?? Are you joking. The game STILL has Minecraft graphics on several maps.
  • Stahlmach
    1156 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited April 15
    Stahlmach said:
     Sure, lots of people want a WWII game with Normandy + Stalingrad + Berlin, but that's not something the developers are interested in. Why would we make another WWII game with the same missions we've played dozens of times before in COD and other franchises? It doesn't make sense and will surely lead to BFV's lack of stand-out-ness that they tend to have. By focusing on these smaller battles, it actually shifts the focus to them also being important.
    Dont fool yourself. Nobody will remember this Game or its Battles as something great that stands out of the Line. Their " unknown Battles " approach was and is a Joke which is just poorly executed. There would have been plenty of other possibilities and ways to going down this way AND creating something unique while giving the players the glimpse of future Battles the majority knows and wants to see.
    But what do we got instead ? The " famous " - never happened - Battle of Rotterdam fought by the british....Battles between Tiger Tanks and Valentines in Northafrica although the timeline is still 1940.
    Unknown Battles...What a Joke....
    I know the iconic battles mean more to some players than others, but to be honest the maps could be Stalingrad, the moon or my local pub on a Friday night, a good game plays well no matter the location.

Until they fix the NetCode, Visibility (on normal console with a regular tv it's like pouring battery acid into your eyes.) and the fracking Assault class it will always be sub par and inevitably forgettable.
    I think you got me wrong regarding to the maps. Because i agree with you that even maps with known iconic settings wouldnt change anything with BF Vs gameplay, Netcode etc.

But it just shows how inconsistent and incompetent the Devs are on various levels. They said they are focused on unknown battles and couldnt even do that right.