This Week in Battlefield V

Assault makes this game exhausting.

Comments

• GP-Caliber
    644 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    narnold700 wrote: »
    To be honest with you, since the last nerf to assault I find that support is the better class to play for higher KPM, but maybe that's just me.

I disagree, the turner smle and sturmgewehr are still the best weapons imo.
  • GP-Caliber
    644 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    Kunstula wrote: »
    MatthewSkeet said:7. so?

Higher muzzle velocity = better range. Many assault and support weapons have higher muzzle velocity than scout rifles, which makes them better at range than scout rifles.
    If you're going to participate in a balance discussion then this really shouldn't be needed to explain to you.

this is not entirely true. recon weapons do have lower velocity, but they can one hit kill you at any range in the head. that makes a bolt action rifle alot better than the sar.
  • GP-Caliber
    Thumper2671 said:

DavTan said:
    Nope you plainly can't do everything and anything so I disagree.

Uh, yes, Assault can do way more than other classes. Let's see shall way?
    -Assault has AR's and SLR's, so weapons for both short and long range (and sniping with no glint)
    -Carries two explosive types, can destroy tanks, buildings, throw dynamite to kill enemies behind cover
    -Picks up more ammo from dead enemies
    -Heals more health than others
    -Practically best weapons in game
    -SLR's are essentially glint less sniper rifles that can't be countered very well 
    -Has weapons with highest muzzle velocity

Really, assault can't do everything?
    your 1st and 6th point are basically the same so stop moaning. the only issue is SLR's. even so I dont know if it's me but I cannot see recon glint no matter how hard I look
    2. support has unlimited ammo including mines and grenade launcher. with assault you literally have to get to the resupply station...
    3. again, support has unlimited ammo and mmgs with practically unlimited range
    4. medic has unlimited health
    5. debatable, as a medic I will 9/10 outgun an assault in close quarters. in fact ive experimented a bit and tried to find 1-5 or stg while running medic.... damn those weapons are crap for my playstyle
    7. so?

If anything I would moan about number of explosives assault has.  the amount of times me as a medic running in the objective around an enemy tank while 5+ assaults do jack to take it down. i wish recon/medic received dynamite or some ani tank weapon.

assault def. has better weapons. maybe within 10-15 meters you will outgun a sturmgewehr but outside that range you will be destroyed. the assault weapons have the right balance between range, recoil and rof. they are jack of all trades guns.
  • Hawxxeye
    5541 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    edited April 14

Higher muzzle velocity = better range. Many assault and support weapons have higher muzzle velocity than scout rifles, which makes them better at range than scout rifles.
    If you're going to participate in a balance discussion then this really shouldn't be needed to explain to you.

this is not entirely true. recon weapons do have lower velocity, but they can one hit kill you at any range in the head. that makes a bolt action rifle alot better than the sar.
    This only works consistenlty if the target is posing still for the perfect shot. In the usual case of perpetually moving targets the one who can accurately put  more shots the fastest has the advantage.
    The other guy has plenty of time to finish the bolt action user between the two bodyshots
    Post edited by Hawxxeye on
  • DingoKillr
    3548 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    I dont understand: why we cant have different roles which is dedicated to destroy tanks? Samething like soldier who gets not so good weapon, but gets good tools to kill the tanks?

Each role should have their roles:

Assault: close combat versus infantry, gets good weapons which only works great in close combat - cant fight vs tanks.
    Support: medium range, mortar and ammo support + repair tool - cant fight vs tanks.
    Sniper: long range, flares and stuff - cant fight vs tanks.
    Medic: Heals and stuff. Gets average weapons for close/medium range. - cant fight vs tanks.
    AT solider: fights vs tanks, but has bad day vs infantry.

Why we cant have simple stuff like this one? Why must always have super soldiers who can fight vs everything at any range?
    Why have Assault it is honestly not needed. If you want Anti-Infantry then Recon with CQB and Long Range would be better. It means less long range campers and less explosives.
    We already have Sniper in the current format it is not working.
  • Stahlmach
    1156 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    This is hardly a new perception, people said the same thing here on the forums about assault back in BF3 when we still had an independent anti-vehicle class.
    And yet the Assault in BF 3 never had so many Gadgets and superior weapons combined on maps which have mostly just one theme.

• Hawxxeye
    5541 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Stahlmach said:
    This is hardly a new perception, people said the same thing here on the forums about assault back in BF3 when we still had an independent anti-vehicle class.
    And yet the Assault in BF 3 never had so many Gadgets and superior weapons combined on maps which have mostly just one theme.

I think they also have had to do more recoil control
  • bran1986
    5689 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    edited April 14
    GP-Caliber wrote: »

No.With a bolt action you HAVE to land a headshot or you are screwed due to the slow rpm. You also have to do this with a bullet velocity that is on par with smgs. Assault has rifles that nearly double the bullet velocity and they fire 4x the speed of a bolt action. For reference there is a dmr in game that fires 450 rpm, with a bullet velocity over 800 m/s, and is a 4 btk at ALL ranges. For comparison there are smgs that fire 514 or 540 rpm that are 4-8 btk. This doesn't even take into account these weapons get hip fire specs and they get 3x scopes without any glint.
    Post edited by bran1986 on
  • IDirtY_SeCreT
    530 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Great idea DICE, if you can't or wont ballance classes anymore just remove the system and give players a free customization system :D :D :D Instead of creating halfass trash you guys throw together on a daily bases that would be a real decision. Like... the first in BF5. Either way you want to appeal to another playerbase so you better go all in. What should go wrong anyway, I mean you lost a big part of your loyal playerbase already.
  • GrizzGolf
    986 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    I suck at this game pretty hard and even I can have a positive K/D with Assault. 
  • GP-Caliber
    Hawxxeye wrote: »
    GP-Caliber said:

This only works consistenlty if the target is posing still for the perfect shot. In the usual case of perpetually moving targets the one who can accurately put  more shots the fastest has the advantage.The other guy has plenty of time to finish the bolt action user between the two bodyshots

still not really true. I do agree that the lee enfield has the hardest time doing this, but im perfectly fine with headshotting someone with the krag. add to that the fact that the recon has 6x scopes. you cant tell me that assault is better beyond 100meters when he has to lay down 4 rounds and you can kill him in 1 hit.
  • GP-Caliber
    bran1986 wrote: »

No.With a bolt action you HAVE to land a headshot or you are screwed due to the slow rpm. You also have to do this with a bullet velocity that is on par with smgs. Assault has rifles that nearly double the bullet velocity and they fire 4x the speed of a bolt action. For reference there is a dmr in game that fires 450 rpm, with a bullet velocity over 800 m/s, and is a 4 btk at ALL ranges. For comparison there are smgs that fire 514 or 540 rpm that are 4-8 btk. This doesn't even take into account these weapons get hip fire specs and they get 3x scopes without any glint.

im talking about bolt action rifle here. I do agree the slrs are terrible and need a huge velocity and rof buff to compete with assault. On long range tho there is only one king and thats the krag. no assault weapon can kill 4 people in 6 seconds at 100+ meter.
  • wiazabi
    485 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    edited April 14
    Can't really compare bolt to sar, one weapon require you to land headshot or ttk goes way up the other is Very forgiving + Very rewarding when landing headshots but headshots arent required to keep low ttk just a big bonus when it happens.

At some point they went away with the spread increase from BF 1 which made the accuracy stat for slr / sars do nothing yet the weapons still have the stat showing despite doing nothing as currently when using sar you can just aim -> spam button until person dies as there is no penalty for doing so unlike automatic weapons which have spread increase the longer you shot.

You also have things like how an assault player using 3x sight can still use strip reload while a recon doing same loose strip reload, which i cant figure out if its an oversight or not when they add skins to recon weapons with the 3x sight that prevent strip.

Like i don't mind if they wanted to give each class a more defined role to their gameplay but it honestly makes no sense in how it came out, everyone can heal with a pouch so medic role became less, everyone can resupply ammo ( crate is the only thing that makes sense as it give 1 gadget ammo ) and squad leaders can call supply drops so support is even less now. 

Only recon with spotting + spawn beacon and actionman with destruction stayed somewhat intact within their roles in BF V. Medic actually feels more of a support class with smoke than an actual medic now. 

• bran1986
    5689 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    wiazabi said:
    Can't really compare bolt to sar, one weapon require you to land headshot or ttk goes way up the other is Very forgiving + Very rewarding when landing headshots but headshots arent required to keep low ttk just a big bonus when it happens.

At some point they went away with the spread increase from BF 1 which made the accuracy stat for slr / sars do nothing yet the weapons still have the stat showing despite doing nothing as currently when using sar you can just aim -> spam button until person dies as there is no penalty for doing so unlike automatic weapons which have spread increase the longer you shot.

You also have things like how an assault player using 3x sight can still use strip reload while a recon doing same loose strip reload, which i cant figure out if its an oversight or not when they add skins to recon weapons with the 3x sight that prevent strip.

Like i don't mind if they wanted to give each class a more defined role to their gameplay but it honestly makes no sense in how it came out, everyone can heal with a pouch so medic role became less, everyone can resupply ammo ( crate is the only thing that makes sense as it give 1 gadget ammo ) and squad leaders can call supply drops so support is even less now. 

Only recon with spotting + spawn beacon and actionman with destruction stayed somewhat intact within their roles in BF V. Medic actually feels more of a support class with smoke than an actual medic now. 

On the fast firing DMRs they even got rid of vertical recoil increase.
  • Sixclicks
    5073 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    DavTan said:
    Nope you plainly can't do everything and anything so I disagree.
     Uh, yes, Assault can do way more than other classes. Let's see shall way?
    -Assault has AR's and SLR's, so weapons for both short and long range (and sniping with no glint)
    -Carries two explosive types, can destroy tanks, buildings, throw dynamite to kill enemies behind cover
    -Picks up more ammo from dead enemies
    -Heals more health than others
    -Practically best weapons in game
    -SLR's are essentially glint less sniper rifles that can't be countered very well 
    -Has weapons with highest muzzle velocity

Really, assault can't do everything?
    SLR's=Self Loading Rifles those are recon weapons
    SAR's=Semi Automatic Rifles, Assault has these
    IRL, they're the same thing.
  • BFB-LeCharybdis
    812 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member

im talking about bolt action rifle here. I do agree the slrs are terrible and need a huge velocity and rof buff to compete with assault. On long range tho there is only one king and thats the krag. no assault weapon can kill 4 people in 6 seconds at 100+ meter.
    I don't believe the argument is whether Assault are too good at long distance, your right that range belongs to the bolt actions.

It's more that once you drop into the ranges of the 3x scope, where the majority of infantry combat takes place due to poor map design, the Assault SAR's are just phenomenal.

The mobility combined with muzzle velocity, ammo and very controllable recoil means you can ADAD any player whilst whizzing bullets at them and whittle them down.

They also have superb CQC weapons in the Sturmgewehr and the M1917 that are more than a match for the SMG'S but also have the ability to reach the ranges and damage outputs that the SMG's don't.

The easiest answer is to just take the 3x scopes from the majority of the SAR weapons. Those that keep them give them a little more recoil, scope glint (which should really be on all scoped weapons. Why only Recon?) and limit the ammo to say 10 bullets. They'll still be lethal, just not overkill.

Voila balance.
  • Hawxxeye

As I said as long as he is ADAD spamming, good lack hitting the head between the travel time, the latency and the unpredictable no momentum direction change. It is a gamble that the bolt action will lose unless there is a large skill advantage in favor of the particular bolt action user
  • Kunstula
    421 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    edited April 15
    Edit: double post.
    Post edited by Kunstula on
  • SpinachVsKale
    185 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Hawxxeye said:
    Stahlmach said:

I think they also have had to do more recoil control
    Recoil more, TTK wasn't as fast, render distance wasn't so bad, player visibility wasn't that bad, lets not forget the reward you get in BF5 for laying in a bush with a 3x scope semi auto and picking people off. These guns are just too easy and strong.
  • WetFishDB
    1988 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I dont understand: why we cant have different roles which is dedicated to destroy tanks? Samething like soldier who gets not so good weapon, but gets good tools to kill the tanks?

Each role should have their roles:

Assault: close combat versus infantry, gets good weapons which only works great in close combat - cant fight vs tanks.
    Support: medium range, mortar and ammo support + repair tool - cant fight vs tanks.
    Sniper: long range, flares and stuff - cant fight vs tanks.
    Medic: Heals and stuff. Gets average weapons for close/medium range. - cant fight vs tanks.
    AT solider: fights vs tanks, but has bad day vs infantry.

Why we cant have simple stuff like this one? Why must always have super soldiers who can fight vs everything at any range?

Because no one would spawn in with an AT soldier proactively as it would hinder them on most normal engagements. No one wants to be handicapped in most normal gun fights just in case they stumble onto a vehicle.

They would only really use that class reactively, after dying - and that means having to fight your way to wherever the tank threat is, which without spotting and/or decent squad mates would be incredibly difficult with rubbish guns.

IMHO a class needs to have an effective engagement distance AND be good against tanks. I think they’ve got that right here. The issue is that Assaults are just too good at any distance.