Nvidia filter for better visibility

BaronVonGoon
7055 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
A bit washed out but looks like it improves visibility:

Comments

• BassMan_PC
    258 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited April 2019
    I tried Freestyle before, but it messes up the frame pacing and adds input lag.  So not worth it.  Also, I don't want the graphics to look weird and unnatural.
  • LOLGotYerTags
    14359 postsMember, Moderator, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Moderator
    Freestyle has been out for GFE for quite some time.

Something silly like a year now,  JF is a little slow on the uptake on this one.
  • g0merpile
    753 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited April 2019
    The source of the problem in basic terms is global rendering, https://docs.unrealengine.com/en-us/Engine/Rendering/PostProcessEffects/DepthOfField. If EA gave us the editing tools we can fix. Main reason Taa causes distance objects to be more blurry. AA and Taa can be a huge down fall for this rendering process
    Edit, copy and paste of text from above link

Implementation

Depth of Field is broken up into three layers (or region); Near, Far, and the Focal Region. Each of these is processed separately and then later composited together to achieve the final image effect. Objects in the Near and Far layers are always fully blurred. They are blended with the non-blurred scene to achieve the final result. 

• 5hadyBrady
    473 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Nvidia game filters is just a less effective way to do what we've been able to do for the last 10 years. Reshade allows you to select your own filters individually and apply them, which reduces the performance impact, as well as input lag. Nvidia game filters bundles the effects together, so if you use the "details" filter,  and only want to the sharpness effect, you're still going to get the input lag and performance hit from the other 3 effects in that filter. This is the flaw with the Nvidia game filter set up. Also, Reshade will actually tell you the post processing latency from your filter stack. Some effects take longer to process than others. The best way I've found to clean up game images without latency or performance impact is a filter called "Luma Sharpen" in Reshade. The latency is like .0000023 ms , and it might eat up 3 or 4 frames max.
  • Entek101
    38 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Usage of an external program to make it easier to see in game huh?  I thought this violated the TOS?  Surely if twas meant to look like this ingame, we would have the ingame option to make it so?  
    I mean, it DOES make it easier to see people because it appears to remove that weird fuzzy filter that's in place now.
    Surely tho, the reason the game is so hard to see right now is because of the future frame rendering weird graphics beta that's being used as the games main graphics driver now?  You loose all the input lag and other frame problems when you turn it off, but the game runs appalingly if you do so - surely we shouldn't be relying on an experimental effect to get a decent frame rate...
  • 5hadyBrady
    473 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited April 2019
    Entek101 said:
    Usage of an external program to make it easier to see in game huh?  I thought this violated the TOS?  Surely if twas meant to look like this ingame, we would have the ingame option to make it so?  
    I mean, it DOES make it easier to see people because it appears to remove that weird fuzzy filter that's in place now.
    Surely tho, the reason the game is so hard to see right now is because of the future frame rendering weird graphics beta that's being used as the games main graphics driver now?  You loose all the input lag and other frame problems when you turn it off, but the game runs appalingly if you do so - surely we shouldn't be relying on an experimental effect to get a decent frame rate...
    Game filters can't be stopped. They are happening post process so there's basically no way to detect them. It's not like they're manipulating game files or something. I know Reshade used to put a couple files in the Battlefield folder, but I've never heard of anybody being banned or suspended for using game filters. They don't even ban people for using aimbots and weapon buffs half the time. I'm pretty sure if the TOS uses language that would cover game filters, it's because the language is vague, not because they were specifically talking about game filters. I can't see a damn thing in this game either. It hurts my eyes. After I play BF5 for like 25 minutes my eyes are bloodshot red, and they burn. I can play any other game I own for hours and that never happens. It's because I can't see anything in battlefield because there's so much "noise" from foliage, rocks, snow, water, sticks, fire, broken down vehicles everywhere, and other random stuff all over the place. 99% of my screen is just noise, and everything is the same color. The rocks are the same color as the tanks are the same color as the uniforms. Everything is either all blue, or green.
  • LOLGotYerTags
    14359 postsMember, Moderator, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Moderator
    Entek101 said:
    Usage of an external program to make it easier to see in game huh? 
    It's not technically an "external program".

GFE ( Geforce Experience ) is used to: 
    • Optimise game settings relevant to your hardware
    • Record gameplay at a minimal FPS hit
    • Take Ansel Screenshots
    • Update your Graphics Drivers automatically when each new one is released
    GFE is also bundled with Nvidia Drivers as an optional component,  If you do not wish to use GFE you can just install just the Drivers on their own.

Entek101 said:
    I thought this violated the TOS? 
    Not if it is included in the software Nvidia distributes which is a non-cheating program.

One could also argue that running hardware more powerful than other users could violate ToS since you would have a clear advantage against others due to faster GPU's being able to push frames out more quickly resulting in you having several frames advantage over the user with the slower hardware/architecture.

I have been using Freestyle in plenty of games,  BF3 included.

• B0ng0_Banger
    1161 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    looks like cheating to me. people using this should be banned. pathetic.
  • LOLGotYerTags
    edited April 2019
    Good luck with that.

It's totally legitimate,  And FYI..  If your monitor has sharpness controls,  You can achieve similar results.

:edit:
    You can achieve many of the results of Freestyle ( regarding sharpness / brightness / contrast / Gamma ) just by using your monitors control panel.

The other effects such as watercolor,  Old movie,  etc etc,  Those can only be done via Freestyle / Reshade.

edit 2: 
    https://www.geforce.com/en_GB/gfecnt/whats-new/articles/nvidia-freestyle-ansel-enhancements-geforce-experience-article

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lEi2UfAe5z4

So as you can see,  Freestyle has been implemented since January 2018.
    Post edited by LOLGotYerTags on
  • B0ng0_Banger
    1161 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Good luck with that.

It's totally legitimate,  And FYI..  If your monitor has sharpness controls,  You can achieve similar results.

You can achieve many of the results of Freestyle ( regarding sharpness / brightness / contrast / Gamma ) just by using your monitors control panel.

The other effects such as watercolor,  Old movie,  etc etc,  Those can only be done via Freestyle / Reshade.

edit 2: 
    https://www.geforce.com/en_GB/gfecnt/whats-new/articles/nvidia-freestyle-ansel-enhancements-geforce-experience-article

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lEi2UfAe5z4

i don't expect them to get banned. they don't even ban rage cheaters. but it's absolutely cheating.
  • LOLGotYerTags

i don't expect them to get banned. they don't even ban rage cheaters. but it's absolutely cheating.
    I disagree,  It is not cheating.

Cheating is cheating,  Adding filters to change the way a game looks ( not LOD bias ) is a perfectly legitimate way of making your game look appealing to you.

Do you really think I would be playing BFV for hours on end if I was stuck with the horrible blurry TAA?

I use Freestyle to sharpen the image up since TAA blurs it so much,  Any detail is lost.
  • Carbonic
    1930 postsMember, Moderator, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Moderator
    I can do pretty much the same effect by adjusting the settings on my monitor.
    I wont, because it looks terrible, but I could. It's about the same amount of cheating as lowering all game settings to low, so none.
  • G-Gnu
    1527 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Carbonic said:
    I wont, because it looks terrible, but I could. It's about the same amount of cheating as lowering all game settings to low, so none.
    Though with Freestyle you can change your settings fast with 4 presets, most monitors do not have that, and it is game specific. Going back to desktop stops the filter, monitors does not do that either.  
  • BaronVonGoon
    7055 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    LOLGotYerTags said:

B0ng0_Banger said:

Good luck with that.

edit 2: 

No it's not. Where you getting that from? Increasing your monitors brightness and sharpness is now cheating? The filter has the same effect.
  • SteveZee
    359 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    It depends on how you define cheating.

If you define cheating as "using a program/hardware configuration to gain an unfair advantage via seeing people easier", then its cheating.

But...

If you define cheating as "using a third party unauthorized program to gain specific advantages defined by EA", then its not cheating.

This is not cheating by EAs definition. It does not mean its fair however. 
  • DigitalHype
    833 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member

I disagree,  It is not cheating.

Cheating is cheating,  Adding filters to change the way a game looks ( not LOD bias ) is a perfectly legitimate way of making your game look appealing to you.

Do you really think I would be playing BFV for hours on end if I was stuck with the horrible blurry TAA?

I use Freestyle to sharpen the image up since TAA blurs it so much,  Any detail is lost.
    LOD bias issue still not fixed, BTW.  Workaround is trivial.
  • LOLGotYerTags
    G-Gnu said:
    Carbonic said:
    Though with Freestyle you can change your settings fast with 4 presets, most monitors do not have that, and it is game specific. Going back to desktop stops the filter, monitors does not do that either.  
    Idk about that...

My monitor has various presets that I can edit,  5 of them iirc.

Gaming,  Landscape,  Cinema,  Natural and one other.

All presets can be modified to fit a particular games visuals to make the game visually better for me personally.

The problem is I dont play on just 5 games so the presets are useless to me,  That would be where freestyle comes into play.

This is just one method in a long line of methods of customising the visuals.

First we had FXAA_Injector ( bf3 )
    Then SMAA injector ( also BF3 when SMAA was in its infancy ) 

Then those were replaced with the newer SweetFX.

SweetFX was then replaced with the much more optimised Reshade.

BUT.. As I mentioned in an earlier post,  Freestyle has been a part of geforce experience for over a year.

Plus it's not like Reshade where you can write your own shaders.

Nvidia includes specific filters into Freestyle so they have control over what the filters can do and of course what filters you can use.

The problem here is,  JF made a video on Freestyle,  Used a click bait title,  And everybody took it the completely wrong way and jumped to conclusions ( as this community does quite frequently )

Sharpening the image doesnt make enemies easier to see,  the sharpness of the terrain on top of sharpening the enemy models makes the whole argument moot.

I should know,  because..  as above,  I use the sharpening to counteract the blurry TAA,  And I still manage to completely miss prone enemies hiding amongst the rubble on maps like devastation.
  • jasonvp
    189 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member

The problem here is,  JF made a video on Freestyle,  Used a click bait title,  And everybody took it the completely wrong way and jumped to conclusions ( as this community does quite frequently )

Sharpening the image doesnt make enemies easier to see,  the sharpness of the terrain on top of sharpening the enemy models makes the whole argument moot.

I should know,  because..  as above,  I use the sharpening to counteract the blurry TAA,  And I still manage to completely miss prone enemies hiding amongst the rubble on maps like devastation.
    I think there are a couple of things at play here with regards to Jack's vid and what you're doing.  Jack was, indeed, playing with the sharpness filters.  He was also playing around with what they're improperly labeling is "exposure" along with the usual brightness and contrast (which is all the "exposure" plays around with ... these aren't undeveloped photos).  Goofing around with the exposure levels will help things in the shadows pop a little more, and that is advantageous.  Far more so, IMHO, than just sharpening the objects and terrain.

Neither is cheating, of course; I agree with you on that one.

I've found that playing with HDR enabled helps a lot with regards to this.  Fortunately, I have a panel that does HDR, and BFV's HDR implementation is actually quite good.  Things in shadows are quite a bit more visible.  The transition from light to dark to light is also bearable and things stay visible while I'm doing that.  I don't like that I have to play with HDR enabled to see things better, however.  And to be frank, I'd rather disable it because I can't record HDR game play.  Grr!

As an aside: what is interesting is the frame rate hits Jack was taking when enabling them.  That 1660 just can't really handle the filters at 1080p.  I haven't tried them on my 2080Ti card(s) yet and won't; I don't install GFE because it's a cancer.  But I find it interesting how hard Jack's system was slapped around losing almost 25-35FPS just by enabling the filters.

• LOLGotYerTags
    I have a gtx 970 and I dont really notice much of a hit on my system.

I guess,  Just like Reshade,  The more filters you apply,  The greater the hit.

My settings for bfv tend to be the color filter to change the brownish tint by making the image warmer.

Brightness / contrast to make things a little more balanced ( if left at default the whole game is too dark for me,  even in fully lit/ open maps )

Obviously I could just play with the monitor settings to make the game look the same,  but doing so means my desktop would then be too bright when I exit the game.

And of course the details filter by increasing sharpness to counteract the TAA blur.

I have done a preset for BF3 using Freestyle and it is much better imho.

• Red_Label_Scotch
    1557 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    https://imgur.com/a5Yocb9

This is all he did.