Weekly BF

Casual Reminder that low render settings still have massive advantages over ultra

124»

Comments

• Skitelz7
    925 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    edited March 22
    stiny1838 wrote: »
    full951 wrote: »
    awe darn you guys! that's horrible. I hope dice lays down the law and forces people to run their pc they way you want them too

yet again you show support for the low skill cheesy way to get kills, at least you are consistant.

I support the pc players right to adjust brightness and contrast too.

brightness and contrast is wholly different from removing textures like smoke and foliage.

This is a problem with every multiplayer PC game. Even consoles have that issue now with these mid Gen machines.
    PUBG on the base Xbox One for example renders grass half as far as the Xbox One X, giving players on the older machine an advantage.
    It's a hard thing to balance.
    I'm my opinion all players should be forced to play with the same graphics settings no matter what machine they're on.
    It's the only logical way to even out the playing field.
  • aRrAyStArTaT0
    786 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Skitelz7 wrote: »
    awe darn you guys! that's horrible. I hope dice lays down the law and forces people to run their pc they way you want them too

yet again you show support for the low skill cheesy way to get kills, at least you are consistant.

I support the pc players right to adjust brightness and contrast too.

brightness and contrast is wholly different from removing textures like smoke and foliage.

This is a problem with every multiplayer PC game. Even consoles have that issue now with these mid Gen machines.
    PUBG on the base Xbox One for example renders grass half as far as the Xbox One X, giving players on the older machine an advantage.
    It's a hard thing to balance.
    I'm my opinion all players should be forced to play with the same graphics settings no matter what machine they're on.
    It's the only logical way to even out the playing field.

Or just increase the density of the object being loaded? They did it with the fields in Arras. No reason why it wouldn't be applicable to things like foliage.
  • xXMysterio
    40 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    xXMysterio wrote: »
    I still don't get the point of this thread. Is it unfair that low-settings-players might see a little bit better than ultra-settings-players? Yes!
    Can we, the players, do something against it? No!
    These settings and the way they work, what you see and what you don't see, is meant for people like me, who can't play higher without sacrificing our gameplay. Yes, others use it too, to get a potential advantage. But I'm pretty sure that DICE knows exactly what they have to do to give low-settings-players the best possible gaming experience. There are reasons why it is, how it is.
    On the side of us users, we can't do anything about it. Period.
    If you want something to be changed, write to DICE directly - no one else can change anything. Except you, of course! Decide if you want to change your settings to low, to take advantage of this potential minor more vision, or keep your settings and enjoy the full beauty of war. It's up to you!

I've said it MULTIPLE times.
    It's not about what setting people CHOOSE to play at.
    It's not about what setting people CAN play at.
    It's not about how good your system is.
    It's literally me just pointing out that SOME ASSETS DON'T LOAD ON SOME SETTINGS GIVING SOME A DISTINCT ADVANTAGE.
    Would you like trees to load on all settings or just some? Would you like to have your head hidden on some settings or all settings? Would you like to be visible behind an object on some settings or all settings? It's really not hard to understand why literally anyone would want what I'm asking for here.
    It's not the quality of the detail/objects. It's the fact they aren't loading. People on Ultra think they're hidden when they're not. People on some settings have objects not be rendered and even sometimes have animations not play (such as the running animation) at a distance, making someone somewhat more visible. It's a distinct visual disadvantage to play on some settings while others have a significant advantage on other settings.
    Edit: I've spelled it out for you not once, not twice, but 3 times prior in this post. The fact you didn't even care to read them proves that you're not here to have a discussion but rather to start fights. If all you're going to do is ignore what I say and fill in what you THINK I'm saying (even though I've clearly said the opposite many times), then you can leave. Not trying to be rude here, but when I've said the opposite of your claim numerous times in this thread yet you still bring it up and still try to derail the thread long after it's been inactive, it's a really petty move on yourself.
    I've said it multiple times about how it's not the quality of the textures. It's not the "beauty" of war. It's literally that some things don't load on lower settings. Like, at all. Trees don't show up. Smoke doesn't blur vision. Sometimes you can see someone when they're behind cover on higher settings. It's literally not hard to understand that unless you can't read.
    And now you come back 5 days after the last comment that specified the purpose of the thread and CONTINUE to attempt at derailing it and ignoring the point. I'm talking about it on the forum. Where developers read comments. The players of course can't do anything unless they talk about it, which I'm doing here. If you're going to be that cynical about me reporting something that's still wrong and gives some players an advantage, then be my guest. But if you think that you're being smart or that I'm not going to call you out about it, you're completely wrong.

So, just for testing I set everything maxed out on Ultra and played a couple of rounds online. The game looked much, much better, with more significant input-lag. But I hadn't the feeling to see less or different. So I joined empty servers, walked on specific points on Arras, Vernichtung, Rotterdam and so on. There was nothing "missing", just worse in resolution!
    So:
    1. "People on some settings have objects not be rendered and even sometimes have animations not play (such as the running animation) at a distance, making someone somewhat more visible." ### I can not confirm this. The same things got rendered for me, just in worse quality. Except ofc for some minor things like particles. All running animations were the same - at all distances!

2. "The fact you didn't even care to read them proves that you're not here to have a discussion, but rather to start fights." ### Simply not true! I didn't start any fight. I just told you what's reality for us players - sorry I must have over-read the part where you were specifically talking to the game developers.... Oh, and proves is a good point. Where are your proves? Where are your screenshots, showing what you describe?!

3. "some things don't load on lower settings. Like, at all. Trees don't show up. Smoke doesn't blur vision. Sometimes you can see someone when they're behind cover on higher settings." ### After testing, I can say no to all. I have the same amount of trees, on the same positions on the battlefield. Even the same bushes! The smoke looks a little bit different, yes, but still it blocks the vision of a more or less same way.

4. "And now you come back 5 days after the last comment that specified the purpose of the thread and CONTINUE to attempt at derailing it and ignoring the point." ### Are you mad, bro? No, seriously, I'm not attempting to derail anything here. This is a forum, where users can talk to each other. Different people have different points of view - and I have, now after testing it myself, a very different opinion. Sure, there are some things which are rendered worse, but nothing game-breaking!
    Please, make some screenshots or videos and show us exactly what you mean. Currently, I just can't confirm it, that's all. No fight, no derailing.
  • aRrAyStArTaT0
    786 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    xXMysterio wrote: »
    So, just for testing I set everything maxed out on Ultra and played a couple of rounds online. The game looked much, much better, with more significant input-lag. But I hadn't the feeling to see less or different. So I joined empty servers, walked on specific points on Arras, Vernichtung, Rotterdam and so on. There was nothing "missing", just worse in resolution!
    So:
    1. "People on some settings have objects not be rendered and even sometimes have animations not play (such as the running animation) at a distance, making someone somewhat more visible." ### I can not confirm this. The same things got rendered for me, just in worse quality. Except ofc for some minor things like particles. All running animations were the same - at all distances!

2. "The fact you didn't even care to read them proves that you're not here to have a discussion, but rather to start fights." ### Simply not true! I didn't start any fight. I just told you what's reality for us players - sorry I must have over-read the part where you were specifically talking to the game developers.... Oh, and proves is a good point. Where are your proves? Where are your screenshots, showing what you describe?!

3. "some things don't load on lower settings. Like, at all. Trees don't show up. Smoke doesn't blur vision. Sometimes you can see someone when they're behind cover on higher settings." ### After testing, I can say no to all. I have the same amount of trees, on the same positions on the battlefield. Even the same bushes! The smoke looks a little bit different, yes, but still it blocks the vision of a more or less same way.

4. "And now you come back 5 days after the last comment that specified the purpose of the thread and CONTINUE to attempt at derailing it and ignoring the point." ### Are you mad, bro? No, seriously, I'm not attempting to derail anything here. This is a forum, where users can talk to each other. Different people have different points of view - and I have, now after testing it myself, a very different opinion. Sure, there are some things which are rendered worse, but nothing game-breaking!
    Please, make some screenshots or videos and show us exactly what you mean. Currently, I just can't confirm it, that's all. No fight, no derailing.

Okay so quit your BS lmao. First off you can't join empty servers on your own accord. The game has to determine there's no spots available for MULTIPLE minutes across every server to shove you in an empty server.
    Secondly, you have to relaunch the game in order for most graphical settings to take effect, specifically ones involving loading assets like smoke.
  • xXMysterio
    40 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited March 22
    Okay so quit your BS lmao. First off you can't join empty servers on your own accord. The game has to determine there's no spots available for MULTIPLE minutes across every server to shove you in an empty server.
    Secondly, you have to relaunch the game in order for most graphical settings to take effect, specifically ones involving loading assets like smoke.

BS? Dude calm down and watch your language! Before you start flaming here like a little kid, inform yourself about what you're talking. You can easily search for empty / low populated servers and run around to test things. Jesus.
    Secondly, I know that I have to restart the game, that's common knowledge and I did so ;)

• full951
    2465 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    For the last time. It's not about them playing on Ultra or low settings. It's about how if you play on low settings things just don't render for you vs when you play on Ultra giving you a significant visual advantage.

I think everyone understands what you're saying. but I gotta tell you: you do not and never will control or influence how others set up their gaming rig.

lowering the visual fidelity to achieve higher performance and yes, to achieve improved visibility has been standard for decades now. it's actually one of the many freedoms pc gaming affords a pc gamer. your concern is meant for tourny play, where the standard will be held. and even then I don't see much of an issue bar extreme examples. but you're upset at the masses in online play for lowering their specs. you, nor I or anyone has say on that. settle down
  • ballFetcher
    119 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    For the last time. It's not about them playing on Ultra or low settings. It's about how if you play on low settings things just don't render for you vs when you play on Ultra giving you a significant visual advantage.

you do not and never will control or influence how others set up their gaming rig.

Buddy, that's not what he is saying and the current trend by developers seem to be going towards removing visual advantages caused by settings tweaks\hacks without a) affecting performance for low or high end PC hardware, b) forcing a specific hardware setup and c) disrupting high end PC platforms from having amazing graphic quality.
  • aRrAyStArTaT0

you do not and never will control or influence how others set up their gaming rig.

Buddy, that's not what he is saying and the current trend by developers seem to be going towards removing visual advantages caused by settings tweaks\hacks without a) affecting performance for low or high end PC hardware, b) forcing a specific hardware setup and c) disrupting high end PC platforms from having amazing graphic quality.

I've said it numerous times yet they still take it as "You can't control what people do when they can tweak their own settings"
  • ballFetcher
    119 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
     The fact is that "they" the developers WITH the publishers can control all these aspect as proven by literature several times (with a rather small percentage of error). Just consider your own Windows/Mac history and give it a thought. Especially, Windows and its antivirus software is worth considering. The solution, for these less than secure desktop, and gaming, is already invented - tested - and deployed to billions of people. No doubt the gaming industry cant solve it if MS and Apple wont cooperate..
  • aRrAyStArTaT0
     The fact is that "they" the developers WITH the publishers can control all these aspect as proven by literature several times (with a rather small percentage of error). Just consider your own Windows/Mac history and give it a thought. Especially, Windows and its antivirus software is worth considering. The solution, for these less than secure desktop, and gaming, is already invented - tested - and deployed to billions of people. No doubt the gaming industry cant solve it if MS and Apple wont cooperate..
    Why did you necro this thread?
  • TFBisquit
    1702 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I suppose because the topic title is still valid?
  • Masqerader
    639 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Not sure how adjusting settings within the game, that they allow you to adjust is cheating.

There are some instances where it was clearly broke, like the tall grass on Arras.
  • aRrAyStArTaT0
    TFBisquit said:
    I suppose because the topic title is still valid?
    Then start a new one. Necroing threads isn't only annoying but moderation will lock the post.
  • ballFetcher

I guess i was not present for less than a month and still found the discussion interesting. At the same time i found previous responses interesting and worth continuing, it was not about winning. I didn't push the subject in this discussion (fiercely) and i don't see the problem with people being engaged in specific topics. Everyone is a politician at times..
  • StealthAria
    332 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    @m1k3ol ; Smoke actually does disappear at range, and graphics settings do effect it.  I play on X1X and I'm watching massive clouds of thick smoke suddenly pop in and out of existence as they cross the 500m mark, I'll watch other people play on regular X1 and they've got no smoke past 300m and what smoke they do have is significantly thinner.
    Meanwhile infantry has a render distance of barely 100m while I'm zipping around in a bomber at what feels like mach 5.