UK servers [Megathread]

Comments

• KPNuts74
    497 postsMember, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    KPNuts74 said:

StarscreamUK wrote: »
    You never heard splitting the playerbase?

Man people moaned about premium from bf3 onwards, constantly complaining about splitting the playerbase

What are you on about?

Well if you open your eyes and look at the post directly above mine, you will then be able to see I'm responding to crash.

Clearly I shouldn’t peruse the forum whilst drunk....
  • KPNuts74
    497 postsMember, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Aw
    The Data Center was moved from the London Data Center to the Frankfurt Data Center.
    Here's some details that were shared with me by the Dev team.

Part of the issue that created the need to do this was the fact we have too many experiences in BFV right now - too many modes splitting the base. 
    (This is, unfortunately, one of the reasons Duo was removed from Firestorm.)

Average ping during peak is 31.19ms when connecting through the Frankfurt Data Center. 
    Off-peak connections in EU connect through our IAD (Dulles/East US) center and have a ping of 98. 

Now, one thing I've seen repeatedly is the "stickiness" feeling of the Frankfurt Data Center.
    I escalated this on Thursday to see if there's any issues with the data center/maintenance, etc. 

And I have posted in this thread previously. It seems to sometimes get buried when the same post gets reworded over and over and spammed throughout this thread. 
    If I get any further update, I'll make sure to post it here as well.

A few posts up, someone said "I'd like to at least have a 'No, they're not coming back' if that's the case."
    I don't know, to be honest. Right now, the situation is as it is. The beauty of Amazon servers is that if we need to increase server locations and capacity, it's pretty quick. But right now, the focus is on reducing the spread of the userbase and improving matchmaking and full servers. 

-Braddock512-

See my ping is 31ms (Scotland) and was 17 UK.

31ms on paper looks good but in my experience it’s not. It’s giving a false representation of my experience.

It’s jittery in combat situations, shots not registering and there is a distinct lag input.

This wasn’t here when I had UK servers to play on.

I play every day 3-4hrs for years.

It has flared since last patch so hopefully next one sorts it.

I don’t agree. Since launch I played many hours on UK, German & US servers with a ping of 19, 29 & 88 respectively. All played fine but currently despite no change in ping the German servers feel ‘sticky’ (annoyingly this coincides with the UK servers being ditched.....)
  • StarscreamUK
    7269 postsMember, Moderator, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Moderator
    You are not the first, you wont be the last, but hey, at least you didnt post all kinds of bizarre stuff
  • PvtJohnTowle
    898 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    edited May 12
    PvtJohnTowle said:

This is a bit off topic, but that video by LevelCap made me roll my eyes a bit. 

He wants games to have less bloat, yet he loves BF4, which had an absolutely staggering amount of bloat.

Anyways, I do have to say that DICE has backed themselves into a corner here. They've promised a lot of game modes and options, which does make things too complicated, but if they abandoned all of this, people will complain.

They could decide to not bring back any removed game modes (like Rush) in order to streamline the experience, but those that loved those modes will complain. If they keep adding new modes, people will complain about 'splitting the playerbase'. It would have been easier to have the paid DLC model that gave us maps and guns, without getting into all of these smaller things like niche game modes, but if they back away from keeping this game 'dynamic', it makes their live service look even worse.

Regardless of how DICE manages content development for this game, they definitely need to improve on their communication. We've been left in the dark about a lot of things, and whenever something controversial is done with this game, we don't get the answers we want quickly enough. I don't even think I can blame the community managers all that much ... they're probably so heavily restricted by upper management that they can't even say one word without it being intensely analysed by EA/DICE. Even with that being said, they can do a better job with what they have.

Oh, and I forgot to mention ... community managers and developers being snarky with people who just want answers (not talking about obvious trolls and imbeciles here) isn't the best way to handle things. Maybe they can keep that in mind as we go forwards with this franchise ... 

How many modes did BF4 have vs BFV? Don't forget that in addition too many modes we already have three more are coming soon Breakthrough Fortress, Outpost. & 5 vs 5. I think your definition of bloat is different to mine and LevelCaps. I see where he is coming from. You contradict yourself by agreeing it makes the game complicated. That is his point in the video plus he mentions by withdrawing modes this cause division in the community. EA/ DICE are their worst own enemy.
  • KPNuts74
    31ms on paper looks good but in my experience it’s not. It’s giving a false representation of my experience.

It’s jittery in combat situations, shots not registering and there is a distinct lag input.

I don’t agree. Since launch I have played 400 hours split between UK, German & US East servers with pings of 19, 29 & 88 respectively. All performed fine (could easily get MVP on all).

The problem we have now does not seem to relate to the ping. Since we have lost the UK servers, the German servers suddenly feel ‘sticky’ (despite the ping remaining at 29 for me).
  • grrlpurple
    797 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    NuttySkunks said:

Aw

Braddock512 wrote: »
    The Data Center was moved from the London Data Center to the Frankfurt Data Center.

Here's some details that were shared with me by the Dev team.

Part of the issue that created the need to do this was the fact we have too many experiences in BFV right now - too many modes splitting the base. 

(This is, unfortunately, one of the reasons Duo was removed from Firestorm.)

Average ping during peak is 31.19ms when connecting through the Frankfurt Data Center. 

Off-peak connections in EU connect through our IAD (Dulles/East US) center and have a ping of 98. 

Now, one thing I've seen repeatedly is the "stickiness" feeling of the Frankfurt Data Center.

I escalated this on Thursday to see if there's any issues with the data center/maintenance, etc. 

And I have posted in this thread previously. It seems to sometimes get buried when the same post gets reworded over and over and spammed throughout this thread. 

If I get any further update, I'll make sure to post it here as well.

A few posts up, someone said "I'd like to at least have a 'No, they're not coming back' if that's the case."

I don't know, to be honest. Right now, the situation is as it is. The beauty of Amazon servers is that if we need to increase server locations and capacity, it's pretty quick. But right now, the focus is on reducing the spread of the userbase and improving matchmaking and full servers. 

-Braddock512-

See my ping is 31ms (Scotland) and was 17 UK.

Same. I was 9 believe it or not pre German move. Now I'm 21 but the difference is night and day. Lag, stutter and instadeaths. There is a palpable lag when changing weapons, during firefights and reloading which for me is the biggest issue. I am not au fait with the technicalities of networks, but the ping difference does not tell the whole story here. I frequently joined German servers before the change and they were not like this. There has been more than just a "move" IMO, a costcutting downgrade across the board I'm thinking. 

Exactly me too, playing in Scotland. Ping was 18 and now 28 on German servers but I get all the issues mentioned. I find it's better in squad conquest with fewer players but that's limiting the game for me.
  • Ferdinand_J_Foch
    3298 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    PvtJohnTowle said:

This is a bit off topic, but that video by LevelCap made me roll my eyes a bit. 

He wants games to have less bloat, yet he loves BF4, which had an absolutely staggering amount of bloat.

Anyways, I do have to say that DICE has backed themselves into a corner here. They've promised a lot of game modes and options, which does make things too complicated, but if they abandoned all of this, people will complain.

They could decide to not bring back any removed game modes (like Rush) in order to streamline the experience, but those that loved those modes will complain. If they keep adding new modes, people will complain about 'splitting the playerbase'. It would have been easier to have the paid DLC model that gave us maps and guns, without getting into all of these smaller things like niche game modes, but if they back away from keeping this game 'dynamic', it makes their live service look even worse.

Regardless of how DICE manages content development for this game, they definitely need to improve on their communication. We've been left in the dark about a lot of things, and whenever something controversial is done with this game, we don't get the answers we want quickly enough. I don't even think I can blame the community managers all that much ... they're probably so heavily restricted by upper management that they can't even say one word without it being intensely analysed by EA/DICE. Even with that being said, they can do a better job with what they have.

Oh, and I forgot to mention ... community managers and developers being snarky with people who just want answers (not talking about obvious trolls and imbeciles here) isn't the best way to handle things. Maybe they can keep that in mind as we go forwards with this franchise ... 

How many modes did BF4 have vs BFV? Don't forget that in addition too many modes we already have three more are coming soon Breakthrough Fortress, Outpost. & 5 vs 5. I think your definition of bloat is different to mine and LevelCaps. I see where he is coming from. You contradict yourself by agreeing it makes the game complicated. That is his point in the video plus he mentions by withdrawing modes this cause division in the community. EA/ DICE are their worst own enemy.
    By bloat, I was mostly referring to things besides game modes. BF4 had tons of guns and attachments that were either copy and pasted from some other entity, or were totally useless versions of something that's already in the game.

You had a lot of sights that were completely unnecessary. You had four different suppressors that all did the same thing. Several guns shared stats. You had three different kinds of laser sights that essentially functioned in a similar manner. This is the 'bloat' I criticised, because people like LevelCap think that having that kind of bloat is a good thing, but the bloat that BFV has in terms of game modes and whatnot is a bad thing. I just thought it was weird that the principle of having too much of something is inconsistently applied by people within this community.

Yes, I do agree (with LevelCap and others stating this point) that adding and withdrawing modes is causing problems with this community. That wasn't my point of contention with this YouTuber.
  • ackers75
    2316 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    KPNuts74 wrote: »
    KPNuts74 said:

StarscreamUK wrote: »
    You never heard splitting the playerbase?

Man people moaned about premium from bf3 onwards, constantly complaining about splitting the playerbase

What are you on about?

Well if you open your eyes and look at the post directly above mine, you will then be able to see I'm responding to crash.

Clearly I shouldn’t peruse the forum whilst drunk....

Been there done that lol
  • PvtJohnTowle
    898 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    edited May 12
    PvtJohnTowle said:

By bloat, I was mostly referring to things besides game modes. BF4 had tons of guns and attachments that were either copy and pasted from some other entity, or were totally useless versions of something that's already in the game.

You had a lot of sights that were completely unnecessary. You had four different suppressors that all did the same thing. Several guns shared stats. You had three different kinds of laser sights that essentially functioned in a similar manner. This is the 'bloat' I criticised, because people like LevelCap think that having that kind of bloat is a good thing, but the bloat that BFV has in terms of game modes and whatnot is a bad thing. I just thought it was weird that the principle of having too much of something is inconsistently applied by people within this community.

Yes, I do agree (with LevelCap and others stating this point) that adding and withdrawing modes is causing problems with this community. That wasn't my point of contention with this YouTuber.

Well, that's where you went wrong. LevelCap wasn't discussing "things besides game modes"  You took issue with him by "rolling your eyes" as you stated.  I don't really care how many attachments there are. This isn't the issue that has caused the servers to be removed from the UK.  It's clear now that Braddock512 has elaborated further the real reason. LC wasn't comparing BF4 to BF5.  However, BFBC2 was a successful franchise with 17 million copies sold from what I read. It kept  the modes to a bare minimum, conquest and rush, Team DM and Onslaught  https://battlefield.fandom.com/wiki/Category:Gamemodes_of_Battlefield:_Bad_Company_2
  • Ferdinand_J_Foch
    3298 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    PvtJohnTowle said:

Well, that's where you went wrong. LevelCap wasn't discussing "things besides game modes"  You took issue with him by "rolling your eyes" as you stated.  I don't really care how many attachments there are. This isn't the issue that has caused the servers to be removed from the UK.  It's clear now that Braddock512 has elaborated further the real reason. LC wasn't comparing BF4 to BF5.  However, BFBC2 was a successful franchise with 17 million copies sold from what I read. It kept  the modes to a bare minimum, conquest and rush, Team DM and Onslaught  https://battlefield.fandom.com/wiki/Category:Gamemodes_of_Battlefield:_Bad_Company_2
    I did state it was off-topic. I, personally, thought that LevelCap talking about bloat was strange, because he's willing to talk about bloat in terms of game modes, but he praises all of the unnecessary guns and attachments we had in BF4. That's all I meant.

I'll clarify this once more ... it was a slightly off-topic remark that was somewhat independent from the topic of the video. I was targeting LevelCap's past behaviour, not his stance in the video he posted.
  • bigiain
    261 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    BC2 had Squad Rush and that other squad v squad mode as well. There have been all these extra modes for years, it feels like the devs are putting far more effort into them now and funnelling players towards them with assignments and unlocks more than in the past.
  • DirtyDog1974
    308 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    bigiain said:
    , it feels like the devs are putting far more effort into them now and funnelling players towards them with assignments and unlocks more than in the past.
    There in lies the problem, they keep rotating these stupid modes to justify their live service model. If they were to put that effort into bug fixes and maps they would not be having the player count problem.  The only thing this has done is split the player base more then when we had premium. I mean we have CA, FS and what 6-8 regular modes plus whatever drivel they decide to rotate in?

The only reason I have played most of these modes is because I am forced to due to the TOW assignments. Personally I feel Conquest, original Operations (BF1 version), Frontlines and Dom for small mode would be enough. I enjoy SC and would love it on all maps, but not sure it would make the cut.
  • DigitalHype
    765 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    bigiain said:
    , it feels like the devs are putting far more effort into them now and funnelling players towards them with assignments and unlocks more than in the past.
    There in lies the problem, they keep rotating these stupid modes to justify their live service model. If they were to put that effort into bug fixes and maps they would not be having the player count problem.  The only thing this has done is split the player base more then when we had premium. I mean we have CA, FS and what 6-8 regular modes plus whatever drivel they decide to rotate in?

The only reason I have played most of these modes is because I am forced to due to the TOW assignments. Personally I feel Conquest, original Operations (BF1 version), Frontlines and Dom for small mode would be enough. I enjoy SC and would love it on all maps, but not sure it would make the cut.
    Exactly my thoughts. This is all about doing more with less, and maximizing revenue for EA's shareholders and executives. Rush the game, employee less developers and game testers,  and dribble out throw-away game modes in order to claim the liveservice content was delivered. Its much cheaper for them to recycle existing content in a so-called "new" game mode on an existing map. It will be at least 7 months into the lifecycle of this game before we get a new map. We all know Panzerstorm was supposed to be released at launch, but wasn't ready.

• bigiain
    261 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    PvtJohnTowle said:

BC2 had Squad Deathmatch and Squad Rush as well.

I think the bloat problem is because far more resources are going into the modes than in the past and assignments and weapon unlocks are dragging the population into them. Before BF1 most of these extra modes were simply ignored by most of the players.
  • A_al_K_pacino_A
    510 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    I think I'm finally done. Not been a great experience hit reg wise this weekend and really my experience is getting worse not better (black screen bug several times, that was solved apparently). Probably just give it a rest and see what the new map is like.
  • Prep768
    3429 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    I think I'm finally done. Not been a great experience hit reg wise this weekend and really my experience is getting worse not better (black screen bug several times, that was solved apparently). Probably just give it a rest and see what the new map is like.
    I've had a week off or so, gonna jump in tonight to catch up - not expecting much. It's a shame because if these bugs/glitches/connectivity issues we not apparent - it would be an alright game. 
  • Trokey66
    8242 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    edited May 12
    Prep768 wrote: »
    A_al_K_pacino_A said:

I've had a week off or so, gonna jump in tonight to catch up - not expecting much. It's a shame because if these bugs/glitches/connectivity issues we not apparent - it would be an alright game. 

We've missed you @Prep768, @Sciolist even sheds a little rear when he sees that you're not on.

EDIT: I was going correct the 'rear' but perhaps that is more apt!
  • grrlpurple
    797 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Tonight I'm getting the worst hitreg I have ever experienced. Lucky to even get hit markers before being slaughtered by superbullets. About ready to rage quit the whole franchise at this point.
  • Delta245
    109 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Plastic man i totally agree, there seems to be something more, since the removal of the Ohio hub, games for me have become increasingly frustrating. Dying around corners and hit detection have hit a new low. After the servers on Sunday went offline something more has happened as well. I can’t put my finger on it though, used to just blame high pings but now it’s something much larger because it’s just across the board.
  • PvtJohnTowle
    edited May 12
    PvtJohnTowle said:

Ferdinand_J_Foch said:

PvtJohnTowle said:

Ferdinand_J_Foch wrote: »
    PvtJohnTowle said:

I did state it was off-topic. I, personally, thought that LevelCap talking about bloat was strange, because he's willing to talk about bloat in terms of game modes, but he praises all of the unnecessary guns and attachments we had in BF4. That's all I meant.

I'll clarify this once more ... it was a slightly off-topic remark that was somewhat independent from the topic of the video. I was targeting LevelCap's past behaviour, not his stance in the video he posted.

Well going going off topic is bad netiquette and a breach of the forum rules in case you didn’t know.

Keep it on-topic. If someone created a thread, it’s because they’re looking for an answer to their question. Changing the topic of the thread isn’t helpful.
This discussion has been closed.