Period accuracy?

X0fireOz
95 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield Member
I noticed in the trailer some period innacurate things like the modern flamethrower, the hand to hand weapons, and the outfits some characters were wearing. I think it'll ruin the purpose of a WW1 game if it's full of innacurate or modern features. Am I overreacting, or do you guys feel that it should have period accuracy?

Comments

• iDk_UncleMcNuts
    21 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Member
    yes to weaponry, equipment and vehicles but sorta no to other aspects but it's more of a morality question (refer to trailer-deep-thoughts thread)
  • iDk_UncleMcNuts
    in the other thread you mentions more futuristic weapons? i take you mean more futuristic than the ones that have been displayed? I'm not too sure how they can be more futuristic but still remain period accurate, from what i saw in the trailer it looked period accurate encompassing the entirety of the ww1.
  • Banko73
    23 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    I would'n be surprised if is it turnes out to be WW1 with a Steampunk twist. It would fit with the period and give them unlimited options when it comes to weapons and gadgets.
  • iDk_UncleMcNuts
    what no don't do that, i don't want a lee enfield or mosin nagant with a red dot that would be completely out of character for the game, that steam punk thing was done in cod waw and it looked horrible
  • Banko73
    23 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    edited May 2016
    I agree... But the there where several things that indicated that this is more than "just" WW1. A Zeppelin with 37mm auto cannon and a 75mm howitzer is'nt 2 bad..lol..
  • Kailazar
    5 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Member
    The flamethrower is not modern. It was used in WW1 and WW2
  • iDk_UncleMcNuts
    a zepplin, 37mm auto and howitzer where all available in ww1, what where the things that you saw in the trailer that suggested other wise?
  • Banko73
    edited May 2016
    The coiled club with barbed wire, in the beginning was not not standard issued equipment for the German army neither is the metal face mask the German soldier wears later in the trailer.. The red airplanes in the flying through the dessert ravine indicates that it is German airplanes somewhere in the Mediterranean or North Africa area. German planes in red where only represented on the European scene. They did however transfer airplanes and personnel to their ottoman allies. The planes painted in national ottoman colors while the Germans served as pilots/instructors for the ottoman air force.
    Post edited by Cryphisss on
  • Banko73
    edited May 2016
    The coiled club with barbed wire, in the beginning was not not standard issued equipment for the German army neither is the metal face mask the German soldier wears later in the trailer.. The red airplanes in the flying through the dessert ravine indicates that it is German airplanes somewhere in the Mediterranean or North Africa area. German planes in red where only represented on the European scene. They did however transfer airplanes and personnel to their ottoman allies. The planes painted in national ottoman colors while the Germans served as pilots/instructors for the ottoman air force.

And the 37 flak/auto cannon was not issued before 1936 in the German army and 1942 for the us army.
    Post edited by Cryphisss on
  • Cryphisss
    3110 postsMember, Developer DICE, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V
    edited May 2016
    My personal believe is that there will be heavily modified prototype guns.
  • THISaint
    100 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Red Baron Pack is a part of the Battlefield™ 1 Early Enlister Deluxe Edition. It is crammed with items inspired by famous fighter pilot Manfred Albrecht Freiherr von Richthofen – better known as the legendary Red Baron, the flying ace of the German air force.

It would make sense to make such customization options available at all the maps, thus limiting historical authenticity.
  • X0fireOz
    [quote="Kailazar;88"]The flamethrower is not modern. It was used in WW1 and WW2[/quote]

I know that the flamethrower was used in those wars, but I was saying that the flamethrower shown in the trailer looked modernized
  • Banko73
    Never mind historical accuracy as long as the game is good and offers enough variation in weapon and gadgets.
  • X0fireOz
    [quote="FuZion-McNuts;62"]in the other thread you mentions more futuristic weapons? i take you mean more futuristic than the ones that have been displayed? I'm not too sure how they can be more futuristic but still remain period accurate, from what i saw in the trailer it looked period accurate encompassing the entirety of the ww1.[/quote]

I meant that I want the weapons to remain period correct and not go off on a futuristic tangent
  • Loco825
    12 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    For sure to an extent which does not hinder gameplay and balance but to be honest i would love faction based weaponary in this game but i dont think Dice would implement it.
  • AlexonDK
    17 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Member
    > @THISaint said:
    > Red Baron Pack is a part of the Battlefield™ 1 Early Enlister Deluxe Edition. It is crammed with items inspired by famous fighter pilot Manfred Albrecht Freiherr von Richthofen – better known as the legendary Red Baron, the flying ace of the German air force.
    >
    > It would make sense to make such customization options available at all the maps, thus limiting historical authenticity.

Think of the possibilities in this Campaign..
  • AngryDave-UK
    35 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    I imagine they'll use some stuff that could/did exist in the time period but wasn't necessarily used by military- like they do with modern day BF. I expect maybe some prototype or concept weapons from the time period perhaps.

I would like to see faction specific/restricted weapons though this time around.
  • jaydog32
    210 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    > @Banko73 said:
    > I would'n be surprised if is it turnes out to be WW1 with a Steampunk twist. It would fit with the period and give them unlimited options when it comes to weapons and gadgets.

I noticed one of the characters in the trailer had a cape. I think a Steampunk twist is actually quite plausible. This would not be period correct but would be super cool, and as you mentioned, open up a ton of options.
  • Banko73
    [quote="jaydog32;226"]> @Banko73 said:
    > I would'n be surprised if is it turnes out to be WW1 with a Steampunk twist. It would fit with the period and give them unlimited options when it comes to weapons and gadgets.

I noticed one of the characters in the trailer had a cape. I think a Steampunk twist is actually quite plausible. This would not be period correct but would be super cool, and as you mentioned, open up a ton of options.

[/quote]

I noticed a few odd things as well. I know that steampunk is probably 30-40 years earlier but it doesn't matter I could work with a WWI theme.
  • sVeS_PerciusLive
    4 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    It's not really meant to be a historical simulator as much as a historical based game. Its like trying to compare WoT to War Thunder. One is true historical and real life physics, as as close as it can be, while the other is more arcadey and meant for a enjoyable experience. Both are still called "games" but its what kind og game its meant to be.