Why is BF1 so desrespected?

giu_gana
4 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
Hi guys i recently bought bf1 and i was browsing about it when i saw a lot of people disrespecting it. Now im a huge BC2 and BF3 fan but i had way more fun playing BF1 than i ever imagined. I feel like it has 2 enormous problems (op tanks and granade spam) but besides that for me its a perfect game. Now every game has problems and i think bf1 is as good and fun as the most loved Bf games (BC2, BF3, BF4). People should really stop wearing nostalgia goggles and look at the games for what they are

Comments

• y_j_es_i
    943 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited May 13
    Imo the TTKs at launch sucked but they’ve done a great job of tweaking them
  • BFB-LeCharybdis
    559 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    If they got rid of the nade spam and did something about the Arty and the muromet this game would be perfection for me.

Also forums are just a microscopic representation of Battlefield players. Sale numbers and player retention tell you more and in that BF1 is king.
  • Ronin9572
    739 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    Sure it has its issues, but what game doesn't! It's really fun to play and I've had many PSN friends come back to BF1 after already getting tired of the grind of BFV. Many ppl were upset it wasn't a modern/futuristic shooter. I loved the fact it was a WW1 shooter, since I enjoyed so many WW2 shooters and missed that era. The changes they made for BF1 were great and fresh. Didn't like the mod system for BFV. BF1 is my favorite shooter game and definitely in my top 5 of all time!
  • DRUNKMONKEY9821
    59 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I didn't like it at first but it end up being a great game.
  • giu_gana
    y_j_es_i said:

No, the game tanked bigtime post TTK2.0.

I dont know about that but i think that the most op guns at launch (hellriegel, automatico and martini-henry) are now quite balanced and the only op guns are the RSC and maybe the smg 08. All the other weapons are fun to use dho and the class balance is the best we have ever seen (my opinion).
  • von_Campenstein
    6465 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    giu_gana said:
    y_j_es_i said:

I dont know about that but i think that the most op guns at launch (hellriegel, automatico and martini-henry) are now quite balanced and the only op guns are the RSC and maybe the smg 08. All the other weapons are fun to use dho and the class balance is the best we have ever seen (my opinion).

It changed the whole meta of the game making it much more campy and classes playing their roles less but rather sitting around looking down their scopes instead. Weapons being unbalanced is secondary on the whole.
  • giu_gana
    giu_gana said:

von_Campenstein wrote: »
    y_j_es_i said:

It changed the whole meta of the game making it much more campy and classes playing their roles less but rather sitting around looking down their scopes instead. Weapons being unbalanced is secondary on the whole.

Promoting bipod gameplay is something i do not agree with but i see it as a move to extend your guns range at the cost of staiing still for some time. But still camping is not a smart move due to the amount of snipers looking for still people (in large maps) and the amount of granades everyone trows at you when you get spotted. Camping is NOT rewarded in BF1.
  • LH44x3
    85 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    I've got hundreds of hours in BF3 and BF4 but I rank BF1 well above both (still below BC2 though). In fact BF1 is still so good I haven't even bought/played BFV; it gives me everything I want from an FPS and can still find matches. I learned with BC2 not to jump ship too early (into BF3) because you can really miss something when it's gone.

People always complained about the random deviation. They would then go on to praise the gunplay in BF3 because they are morons. Because having all gun types rendered useless except the M16 outside of 30metres is great design...

I HATE Elites, Behemoths, artillery and gas grenades, and grenade spam in general. But the maps, class balance, atmosphere are all top notch.

It's a shame Rush died, but it did force me into Operations, which has more than filled the void left by Rush now I've properly adjusted to it.
  • MarxistDictator
    4694 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    edited May 16
    giu_gana said:

y_j_es_i said:

Scouts are still the biggest campers and always were. Not sure why people pretend like this somehow changed anything. The base gunplay is literally the same so claiming it to play differently when all the same pieces fit together is stupid. I see this claim that the gameplay was in some way degraded and its always scout mains. I guess an update that was basically just buffing the other classes while scout was buffed less (every rifle without a sweet spot was buffed + the VV) would be hated by them but at least apply some thought.

I noticed more MG camping after the launch of BF V, as if that mindset had somehow traveled from that game. But the only real negative for me gameplay wise from new TTK was the M1912 for assault, they seriously ruined that thing.
  • von_Campenstein
    6465 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    giu_gana said:

y_j_es_i said:

Scouts are still the biggest campers and always were. Not sure why people pretend like this somehow changed anything. The base gunplay is literally the same so claiming it to play differently when all the same pieces fit together is stupid. I see this claim that the gameplay was in some way degraded and its always scout mains. I guess an update that was basically just buffing the other classes while scout was buffed less (every rifle without a sweet spot was buffed + the VV) would be hated by them but at least apply some thought.

I noticed more MG camping after the launch of BF V, as if that mindset had somehow traveled from that game. But the only real negative for me gameplay wise from new TTK was the M1912 for assault, they seriously ruined that thing.
    I don't play aggressive Scout because I hate the challenge but because of it. Maybe the TTK change just made the good Medics and Support quit the game? How the game played changed, I know this because I typically liked to have at least one guy ahead of me rushing an objective to deal with the unseen enemy, me checking every corner as said bait is closing in on the flag. When TTK changed I found myself being alone pushing while the rest camped back despite having their weapons improved, this was not an isolated incident. Why would I still be harping on about this if it never really was an issue and I've since uninstalled the game? Do apply some thought!
  • MarxistDictator
    4694 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Yes all the scouts were forced to the hills instead of just 99.99%. Woe is this new TTK.

Also what, players never give ammo or health or revive in any game. How this is somehow a unique problem to any one battlefield is anyone's guess. This is why Hardline had the best system, people too oblivious to press the free points button could still be helpful in some way.

Its also extremely circumstantial to claim that the gameplay 'slowed down' with no empirical qualifiers. I see Offense win more on Operations than they ever have, which would be impossible if the game was somehow only benefiting defensive play.

I get it, Scout was made less powerful and that kinda sucks but from the perspective of other classes the pre TTK model was even worse.

Where is the sweet spot on my Lewis, which suffered an abysmal 480ms TTK up close that dropped into a 700ms~ range at 35m? Why even use that gun? It was literally impossible to win most gunfights because your TTK literally required you to shoot first to have a chance to do anything.

And unlike a scout rifle the Lewis didn't magically become stronger at any distance, it started off as a wet fart and was even more pathetic than most pistols at a distance (remember back when the M1911 did 20 min damage?).

I guess from the perspective of the guy only ever playing the scout class it really sucked when the other classes were made relevant outside like 2 MGs 2 SLRs and the Hellriegel/Automatico.
  • MarxistDictator
    I got my post eaten when I didn't even edit it, thanks forum

There were like less than 0.0001% 'aggressive' scouts to regular scouts at any point in this game and the ones that are good (and still are) use scopes. Iron sight rifles are my preference too but I don't pretend like it needed to be broken to be fun. Launch Martini Henry was a guilty pleasure but not fun or balanced at all. Scouts don't need mega shotguns to compete.

And speaking of effective ranges, what was the effective range on the Lewis before new TTK? It had a TTK of like 480ms in its max damage range and then it dropped off to 700ms or so by 35m. So in the span of a distance which is smaller than any existing sweet spot the Lewis went from one of the weakest guns in the game to one of the worst guns ever in any video game. Was this fun for the support? Is there even a point to using an LMG that requires you to react and shoot first in any engagement to even stand a chance of winning it?

Since we're going with 'what I saw in game' over quantified facts I'll point out that the myriad of gameplay changes that accompanied new TTK have made offense win more.

Before a wall of grenades, scouts and gas made attack lose basically every operation, now I witness them win more than I ever had which would be impossible if the gameplay changes only benefitted defensive play. Its almost even sometimes, I only see regular defense wins on the stacked scenarios like Devil's Anvil.

I've also never noticed any more or any less ammo/health/revives than usual, players with enough game sense to notice teammates have always been the minority. This is why Hardline had the best system by a mile, regardless of 'muh teamwork' (because throwing a box at someone is much more 'teamwork' than pulling a health kit/ammo pack off them).

Also you uninstalling forever ago and still whining about a game you don't play that won't change is kinda weird. I don't play BF V but I don't dedicate any energy to constantly reminding people that it isn't good. I just look to each update thinking maybe there was something worthwhile in it and get let down. I don't feel compelled to document this to the people who do keep playing.
  • giu_gana

There were like less than 0.0001% 'aggressive' scouts to regular scouts at any point in this game and the ones that are good (and still are) use scopes. Iron sight rifles are my preference too but I don't pretend like it needed to be broken to be fun. Launch Martini Henry was a guilty pleasure but not fun or balanced at all. Scouts don't need mega shotguns to compete.

And speaking of effective ranges, what was the effective range on the Lewis before new TTK? It had a TTK of like 480ms in its max damage range and then it dropped off to 700ms or so by 35m. So in the span of a distance which is smaller than any existing sweet spot the Lewis went from one of the weakest guns in the game to one of the worst guns ever in any video game. Was this fun for the support? Is there even a point to using an LMG that requires you to react and shoot first in any engagement to even stand a chance of winning it?

Since we're going with 'what I saw in game' over quantified facts I'll point out that the myriad of gameplay changes that accompanied new TTK have made offense win more.

Before a wall of grenades, scouts and gas made attack lose basically every operation, now I witness them win more than I ever had which would be impossible if the gameplay changes only benefitted defensive play. Its almost even sometimes, I only see regular defense wins on the stacked scenarios like Devil's Anvil.

I've also never noticed any more or any less ammo/health/revives than usual, players with enough game sense to notice teammates have always been the minority. This is why Hardline had the best system by a mile, regardless of 'muh teamwork' (because throwing a box at someone is much more 'teamwork' than pulling a health kit/ammo pack off them).

Also you uninstalling forever ago and still whining about a game you don't play that won't change is kinda weird. I don't play BF V but I don't dedicate any energy to constantly reminding people that it isn't good. I just look to each update thinking maybe there was something worthwhile in it and get let down. I don't feel compelled to document this to the people who do keep playing.

Totally agree (even if i didnt play the game before ttk 2.0) but this trend of saying that now everyone is camping is stupid. Like of course in fort devoe you are gonna find some bipod guys at the end of corridors but that has been a thing since bf3
  • MarxistDictator
    What I noticed most from new TTK is an actual variety in people's weapon choice. If a couple 'aggressive scouts' had to die for me to get killed by an assault and see a weapon other than Hellriegel 1915 or Model 10 Hunter then I'm glad they took one for the team.

People use basically every gun in the game except the actual garbage, so it was a win to me.
  • von_Campenstein
    giu_gana said:

Totally agree (even if i didnt play the game before ttk 2.0) but this trend of saying that now everyone is camping is stupid. Like of course in fort devoe you are gonna find some bipod guys at the end of corridors but that has been a thing since bf3
    This trend of wholeheartedly agreeing with someone when you have no own reference of the game period that is talked about is the stupid part. I never got into Operations, too spammy but I did notice Amiens on Conquest for one turning into a very german map post TTK, possibly down to more experienced players opting to play german or the british routes being easier to lock down with the faster TTK? I've uninstalled this game 4 times now, last about a month ago, which in my world isn't forever. I come here on occassion to see exactly how bad it will end up after being that good.
  • MachoFantast1c0
    1888 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member

I don't play regular Operations, but otherwise I'm inclined to agree with this. Camping in BFV is orders of magnitude worse, in BF1 I die to campers extremely rarely, be they scout, LMG or a corner-hugging shotgunner. After TTK2.0 the gameplay did change somewhat, but I think it has bounced back. Fort de Vaux is the only map on Conquest that I'd say has suffered balance-wise, spawn rapes are now a fairly common occurence due to the routes being easy to lock down.

Aggressive scouting did change to be more demanding, but I have no issues running Ross iron sights and MVPing. Though I wouldn't mind if TTK2.0 came with a buff to spread reset to facilitate faster practical fire rate, and a specialization for secondary swap speed increase.

• giu_gana
    giu_gana said:

This trend of wholeheartedly agreeing with someone when you have no own reference of the game period that is talked about is the stupid part. I never got into Operations, too spammy but I did notice Amiens on Conquest for one turning into a very german map post TTK, possibly down to more experienced players opting to play german or the british routes being easier to lock down with the faster TTK? I've uninstalled this game 4 times now, last about a month ago, which in my world isn't forever. I come here on occassion to see exactly how bad it will end up after being that good.
    I played once a week at a fiends house from when it came out until christmas. We were never trying super hard but it seemed like we were alwais getting killed by the same weapons. Now played the game for about 50 hours in 2019 and i feel like the meta has changed in a better way (you can disagree with me just say what you would change). I also followes the game updates by lvlcap and jackfrags videos if that counts. I dont think you neee 1000+ hours on a game to understand if its balanced or not. Also one last thing. Everybody was blaming bf1 for not being a "true WW1 game" because it didn t have trench combat and there were not so many auto weapons at the time ecc ecc... Dice listened to them and helped bipod gameplay so you wouldn have rambos runnig around al the time and by creating more WW1 like maps in the apocalipse dlc. Everyone was begging them to change the gunplay and they did but they were inevitably gonna make someone mad. So i think that the ttk 2.0 has brought us to a great ( but not perfect) spot. If you cluod say me everything you would change i could change my mind