What makes the M1 Garand so special?

M_Rat13
792 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
Becuase personally I've never been that interested in it. Granted, the most experience I have with WW2 guns is COD (only becuase there was only one WW2 battlefield before V), which when playing campaign, meant I tended to pick up German guns for ammo, but even if we are talking about allied weapons, I much prefered guns like the Lee Enfield, PPSH 41, Mosin Nagant, Bren gun, or talking about American weapons, the Tommy gun, M1903 Springfield, BAR, and M1A1 carbine.

I just can't understand with so many great guns, allied and yes, axis (seriously axis guns are so underappreciated), that the M1 Garand would be able to compete. So please, what on earth am I missing?

Comments

• ElliotLH
    7200 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Movies? Maybe the 'ping'. As you can see I don't know.
  • ninjapenquinuk
    1703 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Basically a lot of players are from the US and they want their iconic weapons in the game. When it gets in game, other than the iconic "ping!" It will probably perform like many other semi autos.
  • herodes87
    1240 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    I would prefer pick Up a 1903 Springfield over it any day. Special the WW1 Version.
  • MarxistDictator
    4798 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Its all about the ping. One of the most awesome sounds ever. Plus in most old WW2 shooters the M1 is very commonly seen, I like using guns that I loved using forever ago in other games.
  • ragnarok013
    2531 postsMember, Moderator, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Moderator
    It's an iconic weapon like the M1911 so many players feel strange that it's missing from a WWII game. A lot of people also loved using it in earlier BF entries like 1942, 1943, and even BC2 where it was the Veteran reward weapon. The nice "ping" sound that it makes when it is out of ammo is also very unique.
  • M_Rat13
    792 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    It's an iconic weapon like the M1911 so many players feel strange that it's missing from a WWII game. A lot of people also loved using it in earlier BF entries like 1942, 1943, and even BC2 where it was the Veteran reward weapon. The nice "ping" sound that it makes when it is out of ammo is also very unique.

See I'm not a massive fan of the 1911 either, but that's becuase I'm a revolver fanboy. I also like lever actions too so maybe I'm just a secret cowboy. But with Garand, it's just not the first weapon I think of. To me the most iconic is the STG 44, becuase it's the grandad of modern combat, like the MG42 for GMPGs. And outside of that, I'm British so I'll take a Lee Enfield any day of the week over the Garand. I just can't look at the weapon and not think of another gun I'd use instead.
  • Narfiam
    197 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    American chauvinism in the community, that's it.
  • M_Rat13
    Narfiam said:
    American chauvinism in the community, that's it.

As a Brit, I can appreciate that. I love British guns. But, I also appreciate the German craftsmanship, or the Russian ruggedness.
  • DevilsBathtub
    823 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Its all about the ping, been a fan of it since medal of honor
  • M_Rat13

Literally just that? One sound? The very thing that got soldiers killed while using it lol. Actual that makes total sense for Americans.....
  • One_Called_Kane
    191 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    You're not really missing anything major to be honest. More than anything most people are probably excited for it because they recognize it from COD/BoB/SPR. It's a good gun to be sure, especially compared to the bolt actions most other nations were using at the time. America definitely embraced the semi-auto rifle concept with the most success compared to its peers (although it is worth noting that said peers had the misfortune of being invaded by Germany, making an absolute mess of their timetables). If you had to choose a service rifle to carry at any point in WW2 the Garand was probably your best bet but not by as wide a margin as some people would lead you to believe. 

In game it should be quite good if we use the G43 as a benchmark. The .30-06 should have a bit more stopping power than the 8mm and fly faster. How much so depends on whether they model it with M1 or M2 ammunition. I expect it to perform like the pre-nerf G43 at range, and maybe be a 2SK at <10m. I'm certainly very excited for it but I'm just as excited for the BAR, 1903, M1 Thompson and the M3. On a side note I cannot wait for the confusion American military equipment designations are going to cause.
  • M_Rat13
    You're not really missing anything major to be honest. More than anything most people are probably excited for it because they recognize it from COD/BoB/SPR. It's a good gun to be sure, especially compared to the bolt actions most other nations were using at the time. America definitely embraced the semi-auto rifle concept with the most success compared to its peers (although it is worth noting that said peers had the misfortune of being invaded by Germany, making an absolute mess of their timetables). If you had to choose a service rifle to carry at any point in WW2 the Garand was probably your best bet but not by as wide a margin as some people would lead you to believe. 

In game it should be quite good if we use the G43 as a benchmark. The .30-06 should have a bit more stopping power than the 8mm and fly faster. How much so depends on whether they model it with M1 or M2 ammunition. I expect it to perform like the pre-nerf G43 at range, and maybe be a 2SK at <10m. I'm certainly very excited for it but I'm just as excited for the BAR, 1903, M1 Thompson and the M3. On a side note I cannot wait for the confusion American military equipment designations are going to cause.

If you want to talk advanced tech though, the STG44 was the first assault rifle, and we all know what type of standard rifle troops have today, and it isn't a semi auto. Also I think the funniest part will be if the rifle doesn't live up to people's expectations in game. I just love feeding off people's salt lol.
  • NuttysKunKs
    218 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Wonder what the damage model will be..

8 rounds. 3 to kill at any range sounds good to me.
  • M_Rat13

Except why not pick the G43 instead?
  • superteds
    1148 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    M_Rat13 said:

erm because ping
  • MarxistDictator
    4798 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    M_Rat13 wrote: »
    NuttySkunks said:

If they retain the BF1 bullet-model the Springfield bullet would have superior long range ballistics (flatter trajectory and slower bullet deceleration) and superior damage (like 36 min vs 33.5). En bloc reload would be faster than 2 strippers freeing up your upgrade paths a bit. If they do nothing like that then yeah you right.
  • von_Campenstein
    6548 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    M_Rat13 said:

Literally just that? One sound? The very thing that got soldiers killed while using it lol. Actual that makes total sense for Americans.....

Like a veteran explained in a video on YT,  the enemy could not hear the ping over all the other battlefield sounds, that is a myth.
  • One_Called_Kane
    191 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    M_Rat13 said:

If you want to talk advanced tech though, the STG44 was the first assault rifle, and we all know what type of standard rifle troops have today, and it isn't a semi auto. Also I think the funniest part will be if the rifle doesn't live up to people's expectations in game. I just love feeding off people's salt lol.
    The StG was advanced yes, were we arguing that is wasn't?  

Whatever floats your boat, mate.  I'm sure there are some people out there who will be disappointed if it isn't Broken on a Stick, but I'm sure the vast majority are like me and don't expect anything more than a competitive option with a Cool Nostalgia factor.  Even if it's only an 8-round G43 clone I don't think there will be too many complainers.