I need some help with PC performance. (DX11 issues)

5hadyBrady
349 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
edited May 15
Specs:
GTX1080
16gb DDR4
2tb SSD

Issue:
When I run the game in DX11 my CPU load is maxed out on all 8 cores/threads and my GPU usage never goes above 60%. I have mentioned this to people in the server, and they all tell me they have a similar experience. Most of them say their GPU usage never really goes above 60%. I have read some posts and had conversations with people who suggest running the game in DX12 with future frame rendering turned off. As soon as I ran the game in DX12 my GPU usage goes back up to 90-100% and my CPU drops considerably,however, dx12 was just a stuttering nightmare. There's no way I can play the game in DX12. It's stuttering, dropped frames, lag, morphing around etc. I have NEVER had anything like that happen to me in DX11. Though, as soon as I return to DX11 my GPU usage goes back down to 50-60% and my CPU usage is pegged at 100%. My problem with DX11 is the stress the game is putting on my CPU, while , for whatever reason, is not utilizing my GPU. I don't want to hear some stupid claim that my CPU is bottlenecking my GPU. It's a 7700K. If you need more than a 7700K to play battlefield 5, then 99% of consumers are below the system requirements. What can I do to raise my GPU usage and lower my CPU usage?  For what it's worth, I DO NOT have this problem in any other game. I play lots of VR games, sim racing, and 25+ other triple A titles. None of which do this. Typically my GPU usage runs around 90 to 99% in all of those games, and my CPU usage floats around 75% on all cores. It's the opposite in this game for some reason, and a maxed out CPU load is significantly worse than a maxed out GPU load. When your CPU is running at 100% constantly, you are going to get huge variations in frame rate, stutters etc. I basically cannot run this game anymore, and I don't know why. I don't know if this is the result of the latest update, or if there's some kind of issue with BF5 on my system. I tend not to believe it's my system since many users are reporting the same GPU usage issue.
Post edited by 5hadyBrady on

Comments

• Jinko_itx
    611 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    edited May 15
    problem is, 99% of people don't have a 1080, the better the GPU, the more cpu power you need to drive it, I would remove all your video drivers and reinstall from scratch, also make sure Windows is up to date as well...
    EDIT: if your cpu temp is getting too high, it will throttle and therefore the frequency will go down so if your cpu should be at 75% at regular temp, it will show 100% usage because of lower frequency because of too high of temp.
  • Jinko_itx
    611 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    ohh and if your cpu frequency does go down, so will your temp, so when you are playing, have task manager run in the background and see in real time with frequency it is at, do this after about 5 to 10 minutes of strait gameplay, if it is at minimum frequency (3.9 I think) or somewhere close, then you are throttling and should repaste/reseat your cooler or maybe get a better cooler
  • 5hadyBrady
    349 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited May 15
    My clocks are fine, my temps are fine, my drivers are all up to date , and my operating system is running the latest patch. I keep everything up to date. Thanks for the feedback though. I thought specifically mentioning that this problem is exclusive to Battlefield 5 would rule out the likelihood of a throttle, or driver issue. These problems don't even happen in Battlefield 1. To be honest, they never even used to happen in Battlefield 5.  When I switch to DX12, my gpu usage goes up, and my CPU usage goes down, but the game stutters in DX12 and doesn't run smooth. In DX11 the game runs smooth half of the time, and half of the time it's stuttering from CPU usage. Are you trying to tell me my 7700K is bottlenecking my GTX1080? lol. I knew I should have sent this to the devs. My CPU stays at it's turbo clock frequency, with temps below 65c. It's running very cool.
  • Jinko_itx
    My clocks are fine, my temps are fine, my drivers are all up to date , and my operating system is running the latest patch. I keep everything up to date. Thanks for the feedback though. I thought specifically mentioning that this problem is exclusive to Battlefield 5 would rule out the likelihood of a throttle, or driver issue. These problems don't even happen in Battlefield 1. To be honest, they never even used to happen in Battlefield 5.  When I switch to DX12, my gpu usage goes up, and my CPU usage goes down, but the game stutters in DX12 and doesn't run smooth. In DX11 the game runs smooth half of the time, and half of the time it's stuttering from CPU usage. Are you trying to tell me my 7700K is bottlenecking my GTX1080? lol. I knew I should have sent this to the devs. My CPU stays at it's turbo clock frequency, with temps below 65c. It's running very cool. 

I would say at this point, to reinstall the game, I had to do that one time because of performance problems, if you are running BF1 good, then it is not your hardware

• Jinko_itx
    also I always mention this because ppl turn off the GPU restriction, if it is off, turn it on and restart the game, as it caused stuttering problems.
  • Jinko_itx
    and yea the 7700k is a perfect match to the 1080
  • 5hadyBrady
    So I learned something interesting. In DX12 my GPU usage goes up to where it should be 90 to 100%, and my CPU usage drops considerably. However, in DX12 the game does not run smooth. It feels like there's some kind of buffer in between me and the game. It doesn't feel smooth. It's hard to describe. It's not very violent stuttering or anything, it's just not smooth. Put it this way, if DX12 were the only option, I wouldn't even play the game. So it's bad, it's just not easy to describe. As soon as I went back to DX11 my GPU usage dropped back down to 50-60%, and my CPU usage pegged at 100% again. This is a problem with DX11. And in my opinion, is a problem with the latest update of the game, as I had never experienced this before now.
  • 5hadyBrady
    I wouldn't be surprised if the developers are paying extra attention to DX12 as it's required to run ray tracing, but is nowhere near as smooth as DX11. I bet a lot of the people running DX12 just don't realize what they're missing out on lol. The game is WAY more smooth in DX11. It's not even close. BF1 was exactly the same way. It seems like they're optimizing this game for DX12 or something, even though it runs like crap.
  • Jinko_itx
    yea, the problem is, is that this games' foundation is on DX 11, so in implementing DX 12 will always have some issues, even now, and always, in the beginning of the game, it freezes for a moment a couple of times, and also sometimes the game just exits to desktop for absolutely no reason with no message...thought it was my video card for a while but after thinking about it hardware wouldn't behave like that so it is just the game itself, i'd try reinstalling the game if you have the time.
  • 5hadyBrady
    edited May 15
    Jinko_itx said:
    yea, the problem is, is that this games' foundation is on DX 11, so in implementing DX 12 will always have some issues, even now, and always, in the beginning of the game, it freezes for a moment a couple of times, and also sometimes the game just exits to desktop for absolutely no reason with no message...thought it was my video card for a while but after thinking about it hardware wouldn't behave like that so it is just the game itself, i'd try reinstalling the game if you have the time.
    Yes. I think it's ready to hang it up. If they're not going to optimize this game to run better in DX11, I'm gone. I will never play this game in DX12 until they actually make a Battlefield game FOR dx12. As far as I know, Microsoft themselves are the only ones making games that run well in DX12. The issues I'm having with DX12 would be fine if I were playing some kind of RPG or puzzle game LOL. I'm just not going to play a competitive shooter with hitching and stuttering in DX12. See ya battlefield. And btw, a lot of people will tell you they have a good experience in DX12. These are folks who do not understand computers very well. They don't even know what they're missing out on, because the performance in DX12 isn't that bad. If you didn't know better ,you would think it was fine. The problem is, I do know better, and it's unacceptable.
  • Jinko_itx
    Jinko_itx said:
    Yes. I think it's ready to hang it up. If they're not going to optimize this game to run better in DX11, I'm gone. I will never play this game in DX12 until they actually make a Battlefield game FOR dx12. As far as I know, Microsoft themselves are the only ones making games that run well in DX12. The issues I'm having with DX12 would be fine if I were playing some kind of RPG or puzzle game LOL. I'm just not going to play a competitive shooter with hitching and stuttering in DX12. See ya battlefield. And btw, a lot of people will tell you they have a good experience in DX12. These are folks who do not understand computers very well. They don't even know what they're missing out on, because the performance in DX12 isn't that bad. If you didn't know better ,you would think it was fine. The problem is, I do know better, and it's unacceptable. 
    just install Gears of war 4 and right away you notice a big difference in performance because of DX 12 is the foundation of the game, its unfortunate for this game, especially the lack of anti-cheat is going to be the final nail 
  • 5hadyBrady
    edited May 15
    Yeah, I'm done buying Battlefield games until they pick an API. I'm tired of this crap where they develop the game in one, and then spend most of their time trying to get it to work for another because Nvidia or whoever want them to implement some feature they can market to kids. How about just start with making a game that works? There's an idea. This is not the type of game where those sorts of performance issues are acceptable. Like I said before, if this were some kind of puzzle game, or RPG , fine. My GPU usage is like 90% in the menu's, but as soon as I join a server it drops back down to 60%. My CPU usage is pegged at 90-100% regardless. It's very weird. I would bet they messed something up with the latest update. Some other users have been reporting lots of crashing and weird performance issues after the latest update, but when aren't they? Every time they patch the game half the people claim its broke. Idk anymore.
  • Zz_Nabu_zZ
    364 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Same boat: 7700K 4.5Ghz, 1080Ti, 16 GB
    i don't think this is ever going to be fixed.
    It's really time DICE set their priorities: Gameplay > graphics, specially for a FPS. It was also a mess in BF1.
  • Lahoo_Eckbert
    1064 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Latest patch did something to the game. My 7700K @ 4.8ghz also started maxing out(constantly @ 90-100% in certain 64 man maps) and I'm getting constant frame dips.
    I think they have decided that it is about time old gen CPU's are done for good.
  • HellasHades
    3 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Make sure that your windows 10 are updated to 1809 or newer.My i7 4790K started running really bad after an update around february,i tried dx12 but i was getting around the same performance.With windows update to 1809 dx12 run a lot better at least for me. A usefull command to see frametimes in game is to press the console button `   and type PerfOverlay.DrawGraph 1.
  • SteveZee
    262 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Have you tried running process explorer?

You can google it because i can't seem to post URLS for some reason.

Run BF V and double click it to see the threads and subsequent function call stack to see what threads are eating up the most time.

You can DL and install Windbg too and put "srv*C:\symcache*https://msdl.microsoft.com/download/symbols" in the symbols path textbox under options/configure symbols if you want to see better function call names. But its not necessary.
  • marked4death
    97 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited May 16
    Do you have future frame rendering turned on or off? If its off...this is why dx11 is limiting your usage and why dx12 is not, as dx12 does not use the future frame rendering and buffers ahead either way. 

I would also like to mention...I would lose the attitude. If you cant fix it yourself. Show some humility and things will work out.

I have a vega 64 DDR4 and an 8700k. Capped at 120fps with zero issues because, I trouble shoot my system instead of feeling entitled to help from other people. 
  • StingX71
    758 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    FFR has to be on in DX11.  What resolution are you running at and what kind of fps are you getting?
  • marked4death
    97 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    StingX71 said:
    FFR has to be on in DX11.  What resolution are you running at and what kind of fps are you getting?
    It doesn't have to be on but, it helps boost frame rates by about 35%! I would like to see the option removed and the frame buffer adjusted permanently to 2 frames. This way they can limit the "your game is broken Dice!!!!" response for those to slow to figure it out.
  • SteveZee
    262 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Your rig  should be more than fine to play this. 7700k>4790 and thats the recommended CPU.

Have you tried running process explorer? Did you say this happened on any setting? Low included?

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/process-explorer

Run BF V and check the properties of it and what threads are taking up the MOST CPU time. Check stacks for relevant function calls from that thread.

You can install windbg and use "srv*c:\symcache*https://msdl.microsoft.com/download/symbols" in the configure symbols under options if you want resolved symbol names to proper functions, but its not necessary.