UK servers [Megathread]

Comments

• PvtJohnTowle
    869 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    edited May 16
    PvtJohnTowle said:

Rev0verDrive wrote: »
    Prep768 said:

Seems weird that playing on 🇩🇪 servers in BF1 is smooth yet bf5 gets all these reports for stuttering. What's weirder, there's still 🇮🇪 servers still running on bf1. 

[insert Homer backing into a hedge gif here] 

Compare the average server ping in both games. Also BF1 still has Ireland servers.

That’s why Lossy isn’t complaining- they say the Luck of the Irish. Server Lotto perhaps?

In what regard? Hardware? They're the same. Identical in fact. Only difference server to server is the player joining it and their connections.

I would say more ppl playing BF1 /revisiting as they are bored with BFV . Seeing more footage from Youtubers going back to BF1 e.g TheBrokenMachine.

This player who is from the UK by his accent has gone back to BF1

Post edited by PvtJohnTowle on
  • DrunkOnRedWine
    1315 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    edited May 17
    Another day another dismal playing experience on the AWS Frankfurt servers, come on DICE / EA give us something to be happy about!
    Post edited by DrunkOnRedWine on
  • ackers75
    2204 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Had an horrific time with it last night.
    One bullet deaths and getting shot miles behind cover.
    Then we have hitmarkers but not getting informed how much damage has been done.

How this is deemed playable is beyond me
  • ackers75
    2204 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    dcs500 wrote: »
    ackers75 said:

That's been happening since launch, it's not the servers, its just a bad game.

Omg lol didn’t buy at launch but you would think this would be sorted by now lol
  • grrlpurple
    791 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    ackers75 wrote: »
    dcs500 wrote: »
    ackers75 said:

That's been happening since launch, it's not the servers, its just a bad game.

Omg lol didn’t buy at launch but you would think this would be sorted by now lol

Actually it is far worse now, the frequency is through the roof on DE servers.
  • CrashCA
    949 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Has anyone run the internal Network Performance Graph lately on the DE servers from the UK ?
  • CowboyBobcat
    3 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    I ran about 4 or 5 games yesterday with the graph on. Was mostly focused on tracking Client Hits vs Server hits. I think by the end I had a total of 540 client hits and just under 500 server hits. So about a difference of roughly 50 hits (which is about 10% of my total hits that did not register on the server). Im UK based playing on EU servers (German), roughly 24-28ms ping consistently. My connection (ethernet) runs about 250mbps download / 30 mbps upload. 

Im not sure if 10% of your hits not registering on the server is normal or what? Seems kind of high to me but thats the first time I ran with the graph on so Im not sure how normal that is. I did experience the occasional death around corners / instant deaths along the way. Also a few noticeable 1v1 gun fights I probably shouldn't have lost (firing first) where hits didnt register on the server.
  • ackers75
    edited May 16
    I ran about 4 or 5 games yesterday with the graph on. Was mostly focused on tracking Client Hits vs Server hits. I think by the end I had a total of 540 client hits and just under 500 server hits. So about a difference of roughly 50 hits (which is about 10% of my total hits that did not register on the server). Im UK based playing on EU servers (German), roughly 24-28ms ping consistently. My connection (ethernet) runs about 250mbps download / 30 mbps upload. 

Im not sure if 10% of your hits not registering on the server is normal or what? Seems kind of high to me but thats the first time I ran with the graph on so Im not sure how normal that is. I did experience the occasional death around corners / instant deaths along the way. Also a few noticeable 1v1 gun fights I probably shouldn't have lost (firing first) where hits didnt register on the server.

If it’s like previous battlefield games, shooting tanks and planes only gives you a client hit.
    Just thought I would add that in as that could be the difference your seeing
  • BillBailey0
    77 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Playing tonight for the first time since the last Crapter, and it seems actually worse.
  • CowboyBobcat
    3 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    ackers75 said:

If it’s like previous battlefield games, shooting tanks and planes only gives you a client hit.
    Just thought I would add that in as that could be the difference your seeing
    Ahh that is good to know. If I run this test again I will keep that in the back of my mind. Ill also make sure to get a screen capture to share. In this case though I dont think it would account for much, as I definitely was not targeting planes and maybe a very small percentage of the unregistered shots were inadvertent shots that hit tanks ( I was rolling medic all games to try and unlock the tommy so I tend to stay clear of tanks). 

While the last few games I wasnt paying much attention to the chart as I played (had it hidden), the first game I joined (on Arras) I was watching it pretty closely for majority of the match. I think I had a total of around 6 shots that did not register server side that game. All of those were during infantry v. infantry engagement. A couple of them I noticed just after I killed someone or just after I was killed. Maybe some disconnect between someone already being dead on server side but shots still registering on client side? Not really sure if thats a possibility.

Just a note to anyone who is interested in testing this themselves... Seemed even when the chart was set back to "Hide" option (not displayed on my screen) it was still tracking and accumulating stats. Just an FYI because I know the chart can be pretty distracting when you're playing.
  • Rev0verDrive
    6704 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    @CowboyBobcat The game uses Client Reg -> Server Auth approach to hit reg. The client will determine a hit locally and submit those to the server for arbitration. The server will rerun the shots in its simulation (more accurate than ours) and make the call.

So technically you can hit on your screen and the server will say "no it missed in my simulation".
  • CowboyBobcat
    @Rev0verDrive Ahh yes that makes sense to me. Is there any sort of correlation we could make between the size of discrepancy between the server hits and client hits and performance degradation? i.e. when the servers / code are in worst condition (less performant) you tend to see a higher discrepancy between the server and client hit registration?
  • Rev0verDrive
    6704 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    @Rev0verDrive Ahh yes that makes sense to me. Is there any sort of correlation we could make between the size of discrepancy between the server hits and client hits and performance degradation? i.e. when the servers / code are in worst condition (less performant) you tend to see a higher discrepancy between the server and client hit registration?
    It isn't a code issue. It boils down to where you see a player and where the server sees him at a given point in time.

Here's a demo I did in the Unreal Engine that explains it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gkos9vRcZKY
  • pj2905
    36 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    My experience lately, was bearable last night, not too many moments of frustration, tonight though, trash. I think it may be time for me to quit as the servers clearly aren't going to be reinstated.
  • KPNuts74
    484 postsMember, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Had a horrible German TDM server last night. We had 3 players on our team with pings of 200+ and another who’s ping was going crazy (sometimes 999 or 0). All of my squad were lagging so had to leave server.

I checked out one of the guys after, he seems to be from Reunion Island.
  • DrunkOnRedWine
    1315 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    KPNuts74 said:
    Had a horrible German TDM server last night. We had 3 players on our team with pings of 200+ and another who’s ping was going crazy (sometimes 999 or 0). All of my squad were lagging so had to leave server.

Last I heard DICE / EA struck a deal with Amazon to bring an AWS Data Centre online on Reunion Island. Reunion Island it has since been discovered is the cause of all the issues we have been having with the performance of the game!  BF Reunion - The Return of the Data Centre.

On a less serious note, shouldn't this Reunion player be playing South African servers or have these been taken offline too?
  • KPNuts74
    484 postsMember, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    KPNuts74 said:

Last I heard DICE / EA struck a deal with Amazon to bring an AWS Data Centre online on Reunion Island. Reunion Island it has since been discovered is the cause of all the issues we have been having with the performance of the game!  BF Reunion - The Return of the Data Centre.

On a less serious note, shouldn't this Reunion player be playing South African servers or have these been taken offline too?

I messaged him and ask if he could please play in his own region and he replied “I have no choice bro”
  • DrunkOnRedWine
    KPNuts74 said:
    KPNuts74 said:

I messaged him and ask if he could please play in his own region and he replied “I have no choice bro”
    Haha, I can see his predicament.

Number one rule of AAA online multiplayer games is to get the global server infrastructure right from the outset - by all accounts the southern hemisphere are in worse shape than us northerners!
This discussion has been closed.