When playing BFV, do you feel like you're playing a Battlefield game?

Comments

• GirthQQuakes
    68 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    BF3, BC2 and BF4 were brilliant games. BF1 was a huge disappointment, BF5 is a slight improvement on BF1. Firestorm is great.

But whatever happened to commanders? What happened to the awesome flying? What happened to attachments? The new school game designers dont get it. 
  • parkingbrake
    3202 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    bavneet7 said:
    I personally don't. To me it feels like just another copy of BF1 which was a copy of SWBF.
    I don't get any fun out of it. I can stand at the top of the leaderboard every match but there's no satisfaction in it. It just feels way too casual, campy and not how epic Battlefield used to be, like the good old BF3 and BF4.

What are your thoughts on this? Do you feel like playing a Battlefield game when playing BFV?
    LOL, there is no shortage of players who will tell you BF3 and BF4 were trash compared to BF2 even though the later games had better graphics etc.  So who is right, you, or them?  They're just as passionate as you are, so are the guys who insist BF1 is better than BFV, and so it goes.  Everybody believes his wristwatch has the right time, it's kind of funny.

BFV feels like a Battlefield game to me, and it's mostly fun to play.  My problems with BFV aren't so much with gameplay as with outside factors like no rented servers, a weak anti-cheat, a lack of new content thanks to the fiasco known as Live Service, and the poor network performance.  If EA repeats these ill-advised problems in BF6, it might be a game I don't buy.
  • parkingbrake
    3202 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    BFV is absolutely a battlefield game.

To those of you missing some kind of feeling from previous games; it's called getting old. That special magic from the games of your youth is never coming back, no matter what you play.
    Heh, yeah it's no different from music or cars or whatever.  The ones we recall from back in the day will always be the best, kids these days just don't understand.
  • MBT_Layzan
    1402 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited May 17

To those of you missing some kind of feeling from previous games; it's called getting old. That special magic from the games of your youth is never coming back, no matter what you play.
    Heh, yeah it's no different from music or cars or whatever.  The ones we recall from back in the day will always be the best, kids these days just don't understand.
    I'm not sure sure mate, I just brought a new 4k TV, as I never had one and I loved my old plasma, was a gem, could have went to mexico five star two weeks but we chose it instead. But this new thing blows it out the water, I'm amazed! It's crazy!!!

BFV just blows... in a bad way (for me). With all the new tech, and years of experience, I hoped this would be one hell of a ride on BFV. Even if we put aside the game, you mentioned how disappointed you are with a load of things like the anti cheat, network etc, me too!. I've never seen so many bugs before in tanks, and such little content. 
    Post edited by MBT_Layzan on
  • StingX71
    812 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member

I'm almost 50, I like some of kids music, and they like some of mine. Kinda of cool when my 13 year old is singing Sweet Child of Mine. 

Back to the point, BF V is probably the most stripped down BF we've seen to date. I believe the current DICE developers have the talent to make a good BF, but their getting the ingredients wrong. I've seen the mass exodus from BF in my friends list, it can't all be because of nostalgic reasons. 
  • someguy12121
    457 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member

Then how come I can go back to those games and instantly feel like I am playing a BF game and then go back to BFV and that feeling is gone. It isn't us its that BFV is garbage. They made it generic feeling because none of the soldiers look like they belong to the game. They all look like fortnite rejects and they should NEVER have done soldier customization.
  • SilkWildey
    1025 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    It does feel like a BF game, just a really bad one. You're going to get some bad installments in a franchise I think it just surprised people because last one was very popular and a very good game.

Give it another couple years or whatever and this whole mess will be forgotten when the new installment arrives which I'm certain will be absolutely nothing like this one....hopefully.
  • ProAssassin2003
    3244 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member

I'm 34 and I have played lots of games that still have special magic. Battlefield 5 isn't one of them.
  • Jumpy-B-L
    682 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Nope. I like the removal of ez-pz 3d spotting but that's about it. Tragic in every other way.
  • Ferdinand_J_Foch
    3263 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    This is certainly true. A lot of our good memories about older things are affected at least moderately by nostalgia.

I can personally relate this to cars. I grew up with hypercars like the Porsche Carrera GT, the Ferrari Enzo and the Saleen S7. A modern hypercar, like the Lamborghini Aventador, the Porsche 918 or the Ferrari laFerrari, would easily beat any 2000s era hypercar ... but even then, for some reason, I'd pick those older cars if I ever had the chance to own one. Logically, it doesn't make that much sense to go for cars that are arguably worse, but nostalgia ... it's hard to ignore. 

If DICE were to literally take BF3/4 and change the graphics around and release it as BF6, this forum would still complain endlessly about it. Hell, a lot of people say that all they need to do is remaster BF2, but if they did that, then once again, this forum would be littered with complaints.

Every single time, without fail, I have seen this community say "Current Battlefield game is the worst/buggiest/most casual/most CoD-like", and then when the next Battlefield game comes out, they praise the last one to no end. Even Hardline went through this!

Just watch it happen to BFV ... just you watch.
  • ArchAngeL_777
    44 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Member
    I never in all my time on BF3, or 4, or 1943, 2142, BC1/2 +Vietnam or even BF2 asked the kinda questions I do in my head as I do in BFV or did in BF1. Questions like, why is this so little fun, why is this so frustrating, why have they made this so horrible? 
    I suppose for different people, it's different things that annoy them.

I ask myself all sorts of questions about DICE's design choices whenever I played any BF game, but it was BF4 that made me question everything the most, with the following being some of my most frequent queries:

Why did they put the UCAV in the game?
    Why are mortars not single-fire?
    Why did they put a 40x scope in the game?
    Why did they make the Deagle/AWS/insertDLCweaponhere so bloody overpowered?
    Why did my RPG do no damage ... again?
    Why do people like Operation Lockers so much?
    Why did they put the defensive perk tree in the game?
    Why did they put the staff shell in the game?

Like I said, I did this with every BF game, but BF4 made me rage the most ... but at the current pace for this game, that dubious honour might end up going to BFV in the near future.

ArchAngeL_777 said:
    Close Quarters DLC was indeed awful imo.   I couldn't believe it at the time.   They made up for it after that with Armored Kill though.   That was a great DLC.   Overall, Battlefield 3 seemed to never be able to decide what kind of game it wanted to be.   They were either designing maps for Rush/CQ or large open battles like Caspian Border.

You see ... this is the problem. I actually liked Armoured Kill as well, and thought it was better than Close Quarters, though I also thought that CQ was decent.

However, the Armoured Kill maps died in a matter of weeks, whereas you can still find servers running the CQ maps ... that goes to show that with BF3, despite having good vehicle gameplay (even if some of them were overpowered, like that damn Little Bird), the community's priority was almost exclusively on infantry gameplay.
    What platform were you playing on?   I was on PlayStation 3.  As I recall, Armored Kill was released in the fall of 2012.   On PS3, my friend and I could find matches the whole fall.  I didn't have an issue finding DLC matches on PS3 until I eventually stopped playing some time in 2013 before PS4 came out.

I'm actually surprised anyone is running BF3 much these days.   CQ maps would make the most sense considering they don't require a large player count.   I figured BF4 and the launch of new consoles would steal a lot from BF3, given that BF4 is also modern combat and included fan favorite maps in the Second Assault DLC.

I don't know why you are so frustrated at BF4 of all things.   It's easily the last Battlefield that actually does MOST of what fans want.  I can still easily get into matches today on PS4, including servers running maps from all the DLC packs.   There's at least a couple of servers that regularly run a couple maps from each DLC pack mixed in with launch maps.   They also include the free DLC Operation Outbreak, Zavod Night Ops, and Dragon Valley 2015.   There's even a 24/7 Dragon Valley server running usually.

Operation Locker isn't that bad, but every Battlefield seems to have it's version of Locker.   Basically a smaller map at least mostly focused on infantry.   Strike at Karkand was that for BF2, Camp Gibraltar for BF2142.   You'd find 24/7 servers running those same as Locker on BF4.
  • Ferdinand_J_Foch
    3263 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    What platform were you playing on?   I was on PlayStation 3.  As I recall, Armored Kill was released in the fall of 2012.   On PS3, my friend and I could find matches the whole fall.  I didn't have an issue finding DLC matches on PS3 until I eventually stopped playing some time in 2013 before PS4 came out.

I'm actually surprised anyone is running BF3 much these days.   CQ maps would make the most sense considering they don't require a large player count.   I figured BF4 and the launch of new consoles would steal a lot from BF3, given that BF4 is also modern combat and included fan favorite maps in the Second Assault DLC.

I don't know why you are so frustrated at BF4 of all things.   It's easily the last Battlefield that actually does MOST of what fans want.  I can still easily get into matches today on PS4, including servers running maps from all the DLC packs.   There's at least a couple of servers that regularly run a couple maps from each DLC pack mixed in with launch maps.   They also include the free DLC Operation Outbreak, Zavod Night Ops, and Dragon Valley 2015.   There's even a 24/7 Dragon Valley server running usually.

Operation Locker isn't that bad, but every Battlefield seems to have it's version of Locker.   Basically a smaller map at least mostly focused on infantry.   Strike at Karkand was that for BF2, Camp Gibraltar for BF2142.   You'd find 24/7 servers running those same as Locker on BF4.
    There were a lot of things in BF4 that used to drive me mad (they still do). UCAVs, mortars, staff shells, lock-ons, assault rifle spam, levolution, camping Recons, mostly below-par base maps ... the list went on and on. The biggest problem was, of course, the fact that the game would crash constantly until DICE LA fixed it. I enjoyed BF4 quite a bit, don't get me wrong ... I just didn't find it to be the 'definitive BF experience' that many people here say it is.

One of my pet peeves is vehicle drivers that complain about Engineers not repairing them, but they always drive away whenever someone is actually trying to fix them up. I had a match on Operation Mortar where a heap of LAV drivers didn't stop to let me repair them, even if there was no danger to them at the time. The funny thing is that, in that match, there was one boat driver who always let me repair him, and not only that, he thanked me every time ... a weird match, for sure.

My favourite BF4 experience is playing as an Engineer on Silk Road, defending the central base in the middle of the map. Playing on Golmud Railway as an Engineer is a close second ... in fact, vehicle heavy maps like Golmud, Silk Road, Altai Range and Dragon Valley have been where I enjoyed BF4 the most. The infantry-vs-vehicle action in BF has always had issues, but taking on hordes of tanks and LAVs with my RPG was whenever I had the most fun in BF4.

You're right about DLC servers in BF4; they're surprisingly populated, contrary to the claims of those who insisted that DLC servers always died out in a matter of weeks ... although, some DLC maps and modes don't see much play. For example, I could find only one Chainlink server on PC.

Honestly, if I had a choice between playing BF3 and BF4, I would play BF3, even with it's crappy servers and it's own list of issues. BF4 always felt like BF3.5 to me, with the added caveat that many of the changes made in BF4 were not to my tastes. A solid game, but a frustrating one as well. I played BF3 on my PS3. I initially played BF4 on my PS3 as well, which was a massive mistake. I got it for my PS4 later on. I even managed to play it on PC for a bit, before I got tired of dealing with server admins running scripts to inflate their server populations. After 2015, I became a pretty-much PC exclusive player.

To me, Operation Locker and Operation Metro are terrible. They are the worst maps I have ever encountered on an FPS ... I would rather deal with killstreak spam on Rust in MW2 than another match on Metro. However, I do know that Metro is seen by many as the best map ever, so I digress.
  • trip1ex
    4657 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    edited May 17
    they gave away dlc for free in BF4 multiple times which helped prevent it from dying out as much late in its lifespan.  

Loved me Locker and Metro because they provided variety and were the exception.  Now you have what feels like 5 Lockers in BFV out of the 9 maps.   

I do think Metro and LOcker played better with fewer players.   64 was too much.   It gets old just sitting there shooting guys but getting nowhere.  And no one pushes on these maps with that many players.  No one wants to go anywhere.   Vast majority of players resign themselves  to just sitting where they are and lobbing nades, shooting rockets and spamming bullets down a hallway.  No one is trying to break through and push the enemy back.  The only way anyone moves up is if they don't hear a gunshot for 5 minutes straight.  

• MBT_Layzan
    1402 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    This is certainly true. A lot of our good memories about older things are affected at least moderately by nostalgia.

I can personally relate this to cars. I grew up with hypercars like the Porsche Carrera GT, the Ferrari Enzo and the Saleen S7. A modern hypercar, like the Lamborghini Aventador, the Porsche 918 or the Ferrari laFerrari, would easily beat any 2000s era hypercar ... but even then, for some reason, I'd pick those older cars if I ever had the chance to own one. Logically, it doesn't make that much sense to go for cars that are arguably worse, but nostalgia ... it's hard to ignore. 

If DICE were to literally take BF3/4 and change the graphics around and release it as BF6, this forum would still complain endlessly about it. Hell, a lot of people say that all they need to do is remaster BF2, but if they did that, then once again, this forum would be littered with complaints.

Every single time, without fail, I have seen this community say "Current Battlefield game is the worst/buggiest/most casual/most CoD-like", and then when the next Battlefield game comes out, they praise the last one to no end. Even Hardline went through this!

Just watch it happen to BFV ... just you watch.
    I understand where you are coming from but, BFV is a bad BF game in many eyes. Can anyone say this has gone well, is anyone impressed? 

The Total War franchise was having a lot of trouble esp after Rome came out. Then they released Total War Warhammer and though history fans disapproved it was a massive success for them. It smashed series sales records in days, the DLC has been the most lucrative they’ve ever made and it's open the future up to them to make more historical games for people. It's the game I've gone back to from this junk. 

So it can be gone. :) 
  • Redstripe101
    2546 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    bavneet7 wrote: »
    I personally don't. To me it feels like just another copy of BF1 which was a copy of SWBF.
    I don't get any fun out of it. I can stand at the top of the leaderboard every match but there's no satisfaction in it. It just feels way too casual, campy and not how epic Battlefield used to be, like the good old BF3 and BF4.

What are your thoughts on this? Do you feel like playing a Battlefield game when playing BFV?

i played Hardline more, even finished the campaign. This game has been a failure at every level and it solidifies the talent that has left. EA is currently restructuring how they launch games because they honestly just cant create a good product and thats buisness 101, literally.
  • ArchAngeL_777

There were a lot of things in BF4 that used to drive me mad (they still do). UCAVs, mortars, staff shells, lock-ons, assault rifle spam, levolution, camping Recons, mostly below-par base maps ... the list went on and on. The biggest problem was, of course, the fact that the game would crash constantly until DICE LA fixed it. I enjoyed BF4 quite a bit, don't get me wrong ... I just didn't find it to be the 'definitive BF experience' that many people here say it is.

One of my pet peeves is vehicle drivers that complain about Engineers not repairing them, but they always drive away whenever someone is actually trying to fix them up. I had a match on Operation Mortar where a heap of LAV drivers didn't stop to let me repair them, even if there was no danger to them at the time. The funny thing is that, in that match, there was one boat driver who always let me repair him, and not only that, he thanked me every time ... a weird match, for sure.

My favourite BF4 experience is playing as an Engineer on Silk Road, defending the central base in the middle of the map. Playing on Golmud Railway as an Engineer is a close second ... in fact, vehicle heavy maps like Golmud, Silk Road, Altai Range and Dragon Valley have been where I enjoyed BF4 the most. The infantry-vs-vehicle action in BF has always had issues, but taking on hordes of tanks and LAVs with my RPG was whenever I had the most fun in BF4.

You're right about DLC servers in BF4; they're surprisingly populated, contrary to the claims of those who insisted that DLC servers always died out in a matter of weeks ... although, some DLC maps and modes don't see much play. For example, I could find only one Chainlink server on PC.

Honestly, if I had a choice between playing BF3 and BF4, I would play BF3, even with it's crappy servers and it's own list of issues. BF4 always felt like BF3.5 to me, with the added caveat that many of the changes made in BF4 were not to my tastes. A solid game, but a frustrating one as well. I played BF3 on my PS3. I initially played BF4 on my PS3 as well, which was a massive mistake. I got it for my PS4 later on. I even managed to play it on PC for a bit, before I got tired of dealing with server admins running scripts to inflate their server populations. After 2015, I became a pretty-much PC exclusive player.

To me, Operation Locker and Operation Metro are terrible. They are the worst maps I have ever encountered on an FPS ... I would rather deal with killstreak spam on Rust in MW2 than another match on Metro. However, I do know that Metro is seen by many as the best map ever, so I digress.
    The engineer repairing highlights how different Battlefield has become.   Battlefield 2 and Battlefield 2142 repairing was a big deal.  I play a lot of Planetside 2 (think Battlefield style MMO), and repairing is vital in that game.   Then I go to Battlefield 4 and its not unusual for a vehicle to run off before I can repair it LOL!!  Most of the other things you list don't bother me, especially the levelution.  Some of the levelution is excellent like Paracel Storm and Siege of Shanghai.  I definitely don't like Operation Metro, but Operation Locker is fine to me in a rotation with larger maps.   Locker at least provides more avenues to flank.   Action bogs down a lot less than Metro, and it's not unusual to see teams flip flags at the opposite end.

I never played BF4 on PS3 because I wanted the full 64-player experience on PS4.   But then of course the servers were broke for a few months lol.   So I played Killzone Shadow Fall at first and split time that first year between it and BF4.  All year long I could find servers running DLC rotations, and DICE had official servers for each DLC pack that were usually full.   As @trip1ex mentions, they did give away the maps later at various times, so that helps give longevity.

Still, I agree, BF4 shines on the vehicle heavy maps.  Golmud and Altai Range are indeed excellent.  Silk Road and Dragon Pass are solid too but can turn into fronts of vehicles in the middle of the map.   Paracel Storm and the Naval Strike DLC have always been some of my favorites.  Tons of naval combat in those.   Final Stand DLC were some great vehicle heavy maps.   Of course there's Gulf of Oman and Caspian Border in Second Assault DLC.   Dragon Valley 2015 is a free map that is a masterpiece.   There are still 24/7 servers running that map.

Too many great maps!   Battlefield 2 is the only other BF game I've seen with as many great maps as BF4.  It's launch maps alone included instant classics like Locker, Siege of Shanghai, Paracel Storm, and Golmud Railway.   Flood Zone is the only one I didn't like at all.   By comparison, Battlefield 3's launch maps were definitely lacking.   They were mostly designed for Rush mode.   I quit playing BF3 two weeks in until the Back to Karkand map pack arrived.

• Ferdinand_J_Foch

Too many great maps!   Battlefield 2 is the only other BF game I've seen with as many great maps as BF4.  It's launch maps alone included instant classics like Locker, Siege of Shanghai, Paracel Storm, and Golmud Railway.   Flood Zone is the only one I didn't like at all.   By comparison, Battlefield 3's launch maps were definitely lacking.   They were mostly designed for Rush mode.   I quit playing BF3 two weeks in until the Back to Karkand map pack arrived.

That's weird. I didn't really enjoy the BF4 vanilla maps, except for Golmud Railway (which I loved) and Paracel Storm (which was decent). Shanghai could be fun with well-balanced teams, but that damned attack heli would usually dominate massively. It also didn't help that the levolution on that map slowed down frame rates on my PS3/4.

It's a good thing that BF4's DLC maps were well made for the most part ... I couldn't imagine playing Golmud 24/7, even though I enjoyed that map to bits. It's also a shame that the night-time version of Golmud never got released.

I actually quite liked most of the BF3 launch maps ... Operation Firestorm and Caspian Border were lots of fun, and the only 'claustrophobic' map I ever enjoyed in any FPS was another BF3 map, Grand Bazaar. The only one I absolutely hated was Metro.

Still, the pattern is clear. Most of the maps I enjoyed had a good mix of infantry and vehicles, whereas infantry-only maps didn't play garner much love from my side.

The trend continued in BF1 as well. I loved playing on Sinai and Rupture, but I didn't enjoy Fort de Vaux all that much.
  • Ceph777
    249 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    It does to some degree feel like a Battlefield game, but more of a casual one than what it did back in the BF2 and pre-BF2 days.

Bring back BF:BC2 with updated graphics and updated graphics alone, don't mess with anything else!!!!!
  • ArchAngeL_777
    Still, the pattern is clear. Most of the maps I enjoyed had a good mix of infantry and vehicles, whereas infantry-only maps didn't play garner much love from my side.

The trend continued in BF1 as well. I loved playing on Sinai and Rupture, but I didn't enjoy Fort de Vaux all that much.
    Agreed.  I think most long time Battlefield fans will also agree this is what sets the series apart.   Every time I go play BF4, the sheer amount of vehicles instantly reminds me why I like this series in the first place.   Even on some of the more average maps, there's more vehicles in the starting spawn than on an entire BF1 or BFV map.   They asked fans to vote their favorite BF3 maps to appear in Second Assault DLC.   It should be no surprise that Caspian Border, Operation Firestorm, and Gulf of Oman were 3 of the 4 maps.

I'm hoping in these 7 months that DICE has circled the wagons and realized most fans want this type of experience in WWII in BFV.  I think the Greece maps will go a long way to giving us that answer.   If the rumored Pacific Theater is true for fall, DICE needs to take a hard look at what made past naval maps so successful.   Take a look at classics like Wake Island, Iwo-Jima, and Guadalcanal which were even great in 1943.   Take a look at Paracel Storm and the Naval Strike DLC from BF4.   Bring these types of experiences to BFV in the Pacific Theater, and people will soon forget these first 7 months.

• SumwhatKrazy
    555 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
     To me it dose feel like a Battlefield game, it just never felt as fun or addictive as a Battlefield game usually is.  I've never seen all my friends and friend list leave a Battlefield game so quickly either.
     Maybe its the game, maybe its us getting older? probably a bit of both. But it dose still feel like Battlefield. Just not with all those fun and funny Battlefield moments.