Weekly BF

Does the horse need a max health reduction?

TuxedoBanana279
345 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
I was just in a game on Fao Fortress and had a guy going 63 and 1 on a horse the whole time. A big chunk of that time was me and my squad mates chasing him around the fortress objective area trying to kill him. We kept shooting, but he just came right up to us under a shower of bullets like it was nothing and stabbed us, or stopped and shot us with that semi auto rifle the cavalry get. By the time I had spawned back in, he had done half a loop around the castle passageways, and got back to 100 health before repeating the process a few more times. Eventually he left the fortress area to wreck havoc somewhere else. The game ended with us losing and him getting best score on his team. My question for the forums is: "Do you think the horse needs to have a slight reduction on it's max health so it doesn't seem as... invincible from the infantry's perspective?"  Also maybe increasing the cool down for them to be able to heal themselves in combat... Thanks!

Comments

• Titan_Awaken
    805 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    No.

Considering most Cavalry players are beyond incompetent to the point where they couldn't hit a full grown African elephant from point blank range, I think Cavalry is in a good position right now. Seriously, the overwhelming majority of riders come up to you, swing once, miss and then proceed to play ring around the rosie before being inevitably mowed down by MGs, SMGs, SLRs, Snipers and explosives. 

As a result, most riders pose more of an annoyance/inconvenience rather than a threat. What you experienced was an exceedingly rare skilled rider who was competent enough to not charge headfirst into enemy lines like a brainlet. And to that I will applaud that player.

63-1 purely on horseback is like winning the mega lottery twice consecutively. It is really something to behold especially considering that a lot of Pilots and Tankers struggle to perform that well and vehicle players have it significantly easier than Cavalry players (see Heavy Bombers and Mortar Trucks).
  • ronybaloney
    282 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    Yes.
    I do feel that an experienced Cavalry player is overpowered for sure, purely based on the power to self heal.
  • MarxistDictator
    4958 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    They can be OHK by everything elites can minus the bayonet charge. They take way more damage to the body, from explosives and take headshot damage too. Horse melee combat is underpowered if anything and you do not survive a hail of gunfire unless its like Kolibris or something. Basically every gun can do 75% or more in a magazine and a number of SLRs/SMGs/MGs can kill without needing a reload.

If someone is playing smart they can be hard to kill but cavalry is still just a noob filter at its core. It is only really effective against people who don't have great situational awareness or knowledge of the horse's mechanics.
  • HK_Independence
    39 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    this is because cavalry rifle is overpower.
    to balance the bf1 game, i think ea shall delete the cavalry rifle and don't allow the rider get off their horse.
    the cavalry primary weapon can be lance, and second weopen can be sword.

• JayB33_UK
    43 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    edited May 19
    How to balance cavalry:

1: Allow headshots on the rider again (they were removed at some point).
    2: To compensate for the headshot weakness, put 1-2 more cavalry in each map or increase respawn rate.
    3: Reduce the medipack reload time or the amount it heals per second.
    4: In order to compensate for the medipack weakness, allow cavalry to capture flags at 2-3x the speed of infantry to give them a new / improved role.
    5: Disallow elite classes from mounting the horse.
    6: In order to compensate for elite classes not being able to mount: if a horse is killed from under the rider, then allow the cavalryman to fall off and not die instantly (but still be more vulnerable when off-horse).
    7: If possible, improve cavalry melee collision detection / precision so that it isn't hitting things that appear to be outside of its reach or swinging more times than the animation displays.

• BudTokeabowl
    2 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    Cavalry player is way over powered. I struggle to kill even unexperienced cavalry with a flanker tank. They throw 2 grenades i shoot them fail to get kill they come back in 5 seconds with more grenades & seemingly healed. This is ridiculous i remember a year or so ago when the flanker tank could kill the cavalry like a real tank would. I have fair ammount of experience with flanker tank so its quite annoying i can never shoot one off they regen grenades & health way too fast!!!
  • Forkbeard84
    1617 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Cavalry is in no way op. So many ways to take them out many with one hit. Direct Rocket launchers and tank cannons are one hit kills. A support with lmg and light at grenades or better yet two supports thus equipped can take out a horse. Assault with mines and smg and AT grenades are effective too. Even tripwires are a pain for horses. If you are a medic or a scout, mostly run or hide lol or switch to assault or support class. Sidestep lance and sword swings. Dont make yourself an easy target for the rifle. Tangquer is usually one hit to the horse as well as many things dropped from planes. Get in a tank and go horse huntin? Get on another horse? So many ways to deal with a horse. Have some patience to learn the strategy and git gud.
  • JayB33_UK
    edited May 19
    Cavalry player is way over powered. I struggle to kill even unexperienced cavalry with a flanker tank. They throw 2 grenades i shoot them fail to get kill they come back in 5 seconds with more grenades & seemingly healed. This is ridiculous i remember a year or so ago when the flanker tank could kill the cavalry like a real tank would. I have fair ammount of experience with flanker tank so its quite annoying i can never shoot one off they regen grenades & health way too fast!!!

Yeah, but the normal light tank can oneshot with a single shell. Cavalry is the hard counter to flanker light tank which murders infantry and reloads very quickly. If anything's overpowered it's the artillery truck with a 360° turret that swivels as quickly as you can move the mouse and also oneshots cavalry; so if you want to use a vehicle that can easily kill cavalry, switch to that, because it also easily kills infantry and tanks tbh.

• HK_Independence
    39 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    if allow headshots cavalry, all rider can headshot other rider in cavalry duel.

***the main problem is cavalry rifle***

• GerocK-
    632 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    I don't get killed by cavalry a lot, they are easily avoidable and they are vulnerable to the right gadgets, but they are still my only real annoyance in Battlefield 1. 
    It just feels wrong to unload so many bullets in to one target if you don't have the proper gadget available.
    Also sniper headshots don't do much, while in my opinion it should give you satisfaction to land a headshot on a moving cavalry
  • MachoFantast1c0
    2040 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    No, Cavalry is fine, and I say this whilst rarely playing it. Vast majority of them are easy kills with any class. Though you need to plan ahead when dealing with a competent rifle user, like HK. At the very least this incarnation is the best we've had by far.
  • Miles_Vappa
    264 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    I feel obligated to weigh in on this as somebody who might be one of those horse "lovers" who can be extremely frustrating to deal with. In atleast every game i play i have a situation in which i barely escape on horseback with < 10 hp, i drop a health pack around a corner, and then come back with full health in under 10 seconds.

The horse is definitely in a weird meta.  I don't think it's overpowered by any means, but it's certainly changed a lot since its inception and it's main problem for a new or casual player is that it's not "realistic"  

Of course, this argument is largely cherry picked from the game and largely ignores how 99% of this game is unrealistic - from historical accuracy to actual physics realism.   It's always amusing to me that players can be upset that they have to shoot a horse 10 times as being "unrealistic" but they are fine with being hit by exploding artillery, being poked with some morphine, and then running around nothing ever happened.

The TLDR is that if you understand the horse meta they are fairly easy to deal with.  In any situation in which you outnumber a horse, a horse is at a disadvantage.  That's not to say that good horse players can't effectively deal with you - they can.  But in most 1 on 1's an individual soldier can't deal enough damage to the "horse" to kill it before they run you down (if the horse doesn't miss).  I'm using the horse melee as the example here because that's the easiest way to "kill" on a horse.   And this obviously ignores the fact that their are plenty of hard counters to the horse.  Other vehicles aside, the assault class at rocket gun is an obvious hard counter.  if you're playing as a squad, two decent supports who understand setup and positioning (and can coordinate their attacks) can be absolutely devastating to cavalry - it will absolutely melt a horse before it has time to react.  You can do this solo as support but it's obviously harder, and a good cavalry should win those encounters but with very little health left - so any teammate left around should be able to kill them easily.

I don't agree with HK that the rifle is a problem.  Obviously the rifle changes the meta and somebody with a high level of aimed accuracy can really wreck on the horse. However, riding and using the rifle at the same time requires some of the highest skill in the game, and missing shots can easily lead to your death.  I get that a good rifle can be annoying to deal with but at the same time those players are so exceptionally rare - and doesn't change those hard counters.

If you find yourself annoyed by cavalry, let me tell you something as a cavalry player that is certainly in the "top tier" of the game.  Cavalry is really only effective at picking off stragglers (players who lone wolf by themselves) or when they work in conjunction with their teammates (this is called being a good player).  Obviously the former case is the "1v1" situation in which they do have an advantage (they are on a vehicle after all - there is no situation where vehicle class doesn't have an advantage - but at least medics and snipers can damage the cav, unlike a tank) and the latter case "operating as a team" is just being a good player - obviously to work effectively as a team with cavalry you have to be good with cavalry.  In any case, when you're going up against a team, you're obviously going to need your teammates to help - it's basically a numbers game at that point.

Not sure if that is enlightening at all, but just my 2 cents i guess.

• Miles_Vappa
    264 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Actually, one thing i meant to say but didn't.  A lot of the issues around cavalry will vary by platfrom. (console vs pc)

I think one of the main problems players have at dealing with cavalry is a lot of "casual" players don't bother actually shooting at them.  Part of this is skill level of the player, obviously.  My guess is that many new players, and even more experienced ones, don't view cavalry as greatly of a threat as something like a tank, because most of the cavalry players they've dealt with are straight up incompetent.  Because of this, a more experience cavalry player will be at a greater advantage simply because most players in the match won't really understand that they are a threat, and they will be playing in a style that they aren't used to deal with.   

Like i've said to my mates - just shoot the horses when you see them.  A few players taking shots at horse, especially if they wait to surprise the horse in their weapons effective ranges, can basically "instagib" a horse.

The last note is by general platform.  In watching gameplay of cavalry in console vs pc, the biggest note i have is that players on console generally do not aim as quickly.  When infantry is fighting against each other, i wouldn't say from a purely observational perspective that the gameplay appears very different.  However, when dueling cavalry, it often means that players can't turn quickly enough to shoot a horse which knows how to move.  This has led to me observing some console gameplay that almost makes the cavalry appear to be playing in a different game - situations in which i know i would be instantly dead on pc (like riding into a crowd of players) often leads to the horse still escaping and taking barely any shots.

This is a two way street, don't get me wrong.  The rifle is obviously easier to use with a mouse keyboard.  But considering that you only a have 1 gun, and you have to fight 32 other players with guns, the harder to hit cavalry of console makes it IMO more powerful than on PC - the platform i play on. So, considering this, perhaps there is more of an argument on console horses being "OP" - i'll give you that.

In the end, DICE isn't doing meta changes so if you like bf1 at this point you should get used to dealing with the horse the way it is - it's not changing.
  • JayB33_UK
    And that's fair enough if they can hit the small moving target and there are more horses to spawn on.
  • JayB33_UK
    edited May 22
    And that's fair enough if they can hit the small moving target and there are more horses to spawn on.

I also thought of another way to balance them: lock the rifle to a 120 degree cone in front of the horse so you can't just headshot the rider behind you.
    Post edited by JayB33_UK on
  • Imabaka70
    2432 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    You want to take out calavary easy? Toss light tank grenades at them and actually hit them with them.

They are considered vehicles so the LT grenade explodes on impact just like planes and vehicles.
  • MarxistDictator
    4958 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Imabaka70 wrote: »
    You want to take out calavary easy? Toss light tank grenades at them and actually hit them with them.

They are considered vehicles so the LT grenade explodes on impact just like planes and vehicles.

This is also the best way to kill other riders as cavalry.
  • Imabaka70
    2432 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Imabaka70 wrote: »

This is also the best way to kill other riders as cavalry.

Yup I’ve done that a couple times as well. I finally got a plane from horse back a few nights ago lol.

Generally I never use the sword or lance. I use the rifle and do hit and run tactics.

In my opinion the horse rider already goes down super fast anymore.

Now when bf1 released and the horse rider was still armored off the horse. You basically had a fast moving sentry with respawning grenades, that could resupply and heal itself.
  • JayB33_UK
    Oh, and if they nerf horsies, they should allow a second person to ride pillion on the horse behind the rider. Especially if elite classes are not allowed to control them on their own.