Weekly Debrief

Scoping/Aiming causes CPU spikes and stutter

Lahoo_Eckbert
1284 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
edited May 24
As the ttile says. 
I played the most recent patch just now, played on Aerodrome and Arras and I realized whenever I use my 6x scope the in game CPU graph spikes up and my FPS goes down from 143 to 120 for a few seconds. And while I'm looking around with a scope it feels jittery, there is no smoothness, especially becomes more evident when shooting. 

Can anyone else test this ? 

I'm playing on 1080p, with mixed settings(texture quality and such are at ultra, rest are medium/low). FOV 70(corresponds to 90 I think). 
ADS features are turned off on the options(effects and FOV).

edit :
BTW this problem already existed, but it just feels more evident now.

Comments

• DaChileanSeabass
    165 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    No you are right. It just hitting hard after this patch and the worst part is that there are other things causing massive fps drops and mircostutter. Scoping is just one thing with any weapon in certain areas of the maps
  • Tuco_Ramirez_1
    219 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    As the ttile says. 
    I played the most recent patch just now, played on Aerodrome and Arras and I realized whenever I use my 6x scope the in game CPU graph spikes up and my FPS goes down from 143 to 120 for a few seconds. And while I'm looking around with a scope it feels jittery, there is no smoothness, especially becomes more evident when shooting. 

Can anyone else test this ? 

I'm playing on 1080p, with mixed settings(texture quality and such are at ultra, rest are medium/low). FOV 70(corresponds to 90 I think). 
    ADS features are turned off on the options(effects and FOV).

edit :
    BTW this problem already existed, but it just feels more evident now.

100%.
    I noticed it last patch too.
    Extremely annoying - especially for people like myself who are very sensitive to frame drops. Not to mention its extremely frustrating and completely ruins the immersion.
  • SteveZee
    359 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I have this in general. Scoping always causes this to some degree depending on the complexity of the scene. You're going from small details to large details in little time. All of this screams throughput issues. Ill bet there may be a hit to RAM as they are possibly transferring textures over? 

Did you check that your HD isn't active when this happens? That might explain it if the drive is being accessed.
  • SteveZee
    359 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Have you tried running process explorer at all? It has more information than task manager. You can see the threads processing times aswell as time spent in system space versus user space. Its still likely BF V, but its worth a try if nothing else works.
  • 5hadyBrady
    441 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited May 25
    I believe most of these problems are happening in DX11, or DX12 with lower tier hardware. I have a GTX1080, 7700K and 16gb of ram. If I run the game in DX11, my CPU is constantly hitting 100% load, and my GPU usage stays quite low (less than 70%). This means I will get frame rate drops whenever the CPU load spikes , causing my frame rates to go from 140fps all the way down to 60fps in the same exact area of a map. If I run the game in DX12, the game runs MUCH more efficiently on my hardware. CPU load stays around 75%, while my GPU stays at 100%. Happy ending right? Not at all. Experienced players know DX12 is incredibly less stable, even though it appears to be running more efficiently on the hardware. I think it has much more to do with frame time than frame rate. Games are developed with a single API. It's impossible for the game to run as consistently in both DX11 and DX12. It seems like the developers have made the game in DX11, and have spent most of their time optimizing it for DX12 because of the Nvidia partnership , and implementation of ray tracing. This has caused the game to run awful in both API's. DX11 is lacking efficiency, and DX12 is not stable. I envy the users who run the game in DX12 and believe it's stable. I assume they're using 60hz monitors or have a much lower threshold for what they consider to be "smooth" or stable.
  • Lahoo_Eckbert
    1284 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Update : I've lowered details, same issue persists.  Also looking around after zooming in seems to lower the fps further. Quick scope + aim + shoot also seems to tank the fps and introduce micro stutter.

SteveZee said:
    Have you tried running process explorer at all? It has more information than task manager. You can see the threads processing times aswell as time spent in system space versus user space. Its still likely BF V, but its worth a try if nothing else works.

I haven't. Will do so when I get the chance.
    I believe most of these problems are happening in DX11, or DX12 with lower tier hardware. I have a GTX1080, 7700K and 16gb of ram. If I run the game in DX11, my CPU is constantly hitting 100% load, and my GPU usage stays quite low (less than 70%). This means I will get frame rate drops whenever the CPU load spikes , causing my frame rates to go from 140fps all the way down to 60fps in the same exact area of a map. If I run the game in DX12, the game runs MUCH more efficiently on my hardware. CPU load stays around 75%, while my GPU stays at 100%. Happy ending right? Not at all. Experienced players know DX12 is incredibly less stable, even though it appears to be running more efficiently on the hardware. I think it has much more to do with frame time than frame rate. Games are developed with a single API. It's impossible for the game to run as consistently in both DX11 and DX12. It seems like the developers have made the game in DX11, and have spent most of their time optimizing it for DX12 because of the Nvidia partnership , and implementation of ray tracing. This has caused the game to run awful in both API's. DX11 is lacking efficiency, and DX12 is not stable. I envy the users who run the game in DX12 and believe it's stable. I assume they're using 60hz monitors or have a much lower threshold for what they consider to be "smooth" or stable.
    Tried em both.
    Like you said, DX11 feels more "smooth" but I lose 40 fps or something. Which is pretty significant. And I still get some dips here and there.

What is your 7700 clocked at ?
    Mine is at 4.8 and I still hit 100% load on certain maps and areas inn dx12.

Bottom line is yeah, both apis feel terrible. Especially after the recent patches.
  • WeeChief84
    2 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    The game for me is unplayable since latest patch,fps wont drop below 90 but feels like 45-50 range  :#
  • Lahoo_Eckbert
    SteveZee said:

Is there a way to run a test with this thing or something. Not sure how to use it tbh. 
  • Niick1402
    80 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    SteveZee said:

Is there a way to run a test with this thing or something. Not sure how to use it tbh. 

I never used that tool but it looks like it's just for monitoring your hardware. What kind of test are you looking for?
  • Lahoo_Eckbert
    Niick1402 said:
    SteveZee said:

I never used that tool but it looks like it's just for monitoring your hardware. What kind of test are you looking for?

Well he told me to run it with the game to isolate the problem. 
  • JPhysics
    804 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Alternatively run msi afterburner/riva turner and customise what readings you want on screen, you can see what your hardware is doing in-game including clock speeds, temps, loads .... run the in-game graph/stats too for network performance.  
  • SteveZee
    edited May 27
    SteveZee said:

Yeah its a pain to use in game. You have to be in  borderless mode  to see it because it has to be used in game. RUN PE, run BF V and double click BF V in the task pane to open its summary. Then alt tab to it, and move the larger pane down below the view. Run around and scope or get it to stutter and watch to see if you see any red spikes under CPU. Check I/O for any large spikes during stuttering.  Click Threads and see if any of those are taking up any large amounts of CPU time abnormally. You should see fair usage across the threads i believe, although some threads may take more time than others (dont worry about module names, they wont typically mean anything). Any thread taking up more CPU time is suspect. Also check the normal pane in game for ANY OTHER PROCESSES (Like interrupts and DPC) taking up large amounts of CPU time. BF V should be the highest on the list if you sort the list by CPU by clicking on the CPU menu heading.  Also check for NVIDIAs modules in the thread pane of BF V. Say an nvidia dll file for example might point to higher than normal usage of the CPU by the graphics driver if that module seems to be eating up larger CPU time. My graphic driver dlls dont eat up much CPU cycles.

Large time spent in kernel space can indicate I/O issues if large red spikes show up in the BF V summary. Large I/O spikes too. You could try DPC checker (separate program). Can look that up on google.

Just a means to troubleshoot a bit more. If its over your head, dont worry about it. I was just suggesting. Its what i would do.

Alternatively you can check task manager for large disk access, or I/O transfers. Stutters could be a result of large memory transfers from either the disk or memory.
    Post edited by SteveZee on
  • g0merpile
    683 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    run riva tuner enable cpu overlay. Best way.
  • SteveZee
    g0merpile said:
    run riva tuner enable cpu overlay. Best way.
    The issue is MSI/riva tuner isn't as comprehensive as it could be. I assume he all ready knows the CPU usage. You'd have to dig a bit deeper to see what the issue is. 

• Lahoo_Eckbert
    SteveZee said:
    SteveZee said:

Yeah its a pain to use in game. You have to be in  borderless mode  to see it because it has to be used in game. RUN PE, run BF V and double click BF V in the task pane to open its summary. Then alt tab to it, and move the larger pane down below the view. Run around and scope or get it to stutter and watch to see if you see any red spikes under CPU. Check I/O for any large spikes during stuttering.  Click Threads and see if any of those are taking up any large amounts of CPU time abnormally. You should see fair usage across the threads i believe, although some threads may take more time than others (dont worry about module names, they wont typically mean anything). Any thread taking up more CPU time is suspect. Also check the normal pane in game for ANY OTHER PROCESSES (Like interrupts and DPC) taking up large amounts of CPU time. BF V should be the highest on the list if you sort the list by CPU by clicking on the CPU menu heading.  Also check for NVIDIAs modules in the thread pane of BF V. Say an nvidia dll file for example might point to higher than normal usage of the CPU by the graphics driver if that module seems to be eating up larger CPU time. My graphic driver dlls dont eat up much CPU cycles.

Large time spent in kernel space can indicate I/O issues if large red spikes show up in the BF V summary. Large I/O spikes too. You could try DPC checker (separate program). Can look that up on google.

Just a means to troubleshoot a bit more. If its over your head, dont worry about it. I was just suggesting. Its what i would do.

Alternatively you can check task manager for large disk access, or I/O transfers. Stutters could be a result of large memory transfers from either the disk or memory.

I use Latencymon for DPC.

Here are some highlights :
    I forgot to take screenshots but I had them copied on the notepad.

REPORTED ISRs
    _________________________________________________________________________________________________________
    Interrupt service routines are routines installed by the OS and device drivers that execute in response to a hardware interrupt signal.

Highest ISR routine execution time (µs):              614,305952
    Driver with highest ISR routine execution time:       dxgkrnl.sys - DirectX Graphics Kernel, Microsoft Corporation

Highest reported total ISR routine time (%):          0,062915
    Driver with highest ISR total time:                   dxgkrnl.sys - DirectX Graphics Kernel, Microsoft Corporation

Total time spent in ISRs (%)                          0,071139

ISR count (execution time <250 µs):                   3997262

REPORTED DPCs
    _________________________________________________________________________________________________________
    DPC routines are part of the interrupt servicing dispatch mechanism and disable the possibility for a process to utilize the CPU while it is interrupted until the DPC has finished execution.

Highest DPC routine execution time (µs):              830,435714
    Driver with highest DPC routine execution time:       ndis.sys - Ağ Sürücüsü Arabirim Belirtimi (NDIS), Microsoft Corporation

Highest reported total DPC routine time (%):          0,01740
    Driver with highest DPC total execution time:         dxgkrnl.sys - DirectX Graphics Kernel, Microsoft Corporation

Total time spent in DPCs (%)                          0,079193

DPC count (execution time <250 µs):                   15374047
    DPC count (execution time 250-500 µs):                0
    DPC count (execution time 500-999 µs):                77

PER CPU DATA
    CPU 0 Interrupt cycle time (s):                       151,989920
    CPU 0 ISR highest execution time (µs):                614,305952
    CPU 0 ISR total execution time (s):                   37,403772
    CPU 0 ISR count:                                      3931170
    CPU 0 DPC highest execution time (µs):                830,435714
    CPU 0 DPC total execution time (s):                   39,846805
    CPU 0 DPC count:                                      14752658
    CPU 1 Interrupt cycle time (s):                       16,151244
    CPU 1 ISR highest execution time (µs):                86,767381
    CPU 1 ISR total execution time (s):                   0,316724
    CPU 1 ISR count:                                      63652
    CPU 1 DPC highest execution time (µs):                422,996190
    CPU 1 DPC total execution time (s):                   0,620365
    CPU 1 DPC count:                                      58412
    CPU 2 Interrupt cycle time (s):                       15,880409
    CPU 2 ISR highest execution time (µs):                3,383810
    CPU 2 ISR total execution time (s):                   0,002948
    CPU 2 ISR count:                                      2424
    CPU 2 DPC highest execution time (µs):                138,776905
    CPU 2 DPC total execution time (s):                   0,212232
    CPU 2 DPC count:                                      66606
    CPU 3 Interrupt cycle time (s):                       13,670802
    CPU 3 ISR highest execution time (µs):                2,362143
    CPU 3 ISR total execution time (s):                   0,000030
    CPU 3 ISR count:                                      17
    CPU 3 DPC highest execution time (µs):                190,358333
    CPU 3 DPC total execution time (s):                   0,237237
    CPU 3 DPC count:                                      95847
    CPU 4 Interrupt cycle time (s):                       15,965159
    CPU 4 ISR highest execution time (µs):                0,0
    CPU 4 ISR total execution time (s):                   0,0
    CPU 4 ISR count:                                      0
    CPU 4 DPC highest execution time (µs):                139,188571
    CPU 4 DPC total execution time (s):                   0,586282
    CPU 4 DPC count:                                      236947
    CPU 5 Interrupt cycle time (s):                       13,852875
    CPU 5 ISR highest execution time (µs):                0,0
    CPU 5 ISR total execution time (s):                   0,0
    CPU 5 ISR count:                                      0
    CPU 5 DPC highest execution time (µs):                131,554048
    CPU 5 DPC total execution time (s):                   0,060650
    CPU 5 DPC count:                                      19552
    CPU 6 Interrupt cycle time (s):                       16,405311
    CPU 6 ISR highest execution time (µs):                0,0
    CPU 6 ISR total execution time (s):                   0,0
    CPU 6 ISR count:                                      0
    CPU 6 DPC highest execution time (µs):                188,864048
    CPU 6 DPC total execution time (s):                   0,320152
    CPU 6 DPC count:                                      112792
    CPU 7 Interrupt cycle time (s):                       14,103901
    CPU 7 ISR highest execution time (µs):                0,0
    CPU 7 ISR total execution time (s):                   0,0
    CPU 7 ISR count:                                      0
    CPU 7 DPC highest execution time (µs):                134,065714
    CPU 7 DPC total execution time (s):                   0,110904
    CPU 7 DPC count:                                      31310
  • Sw1ts
    115 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Omg guys stop it please.Its not our hardware,the problem is in the game,the bad optimization and the last patch.
  • SteveZee
    edited May 31

I use Latencymon for DPC.

Here are some highlights :
    I forgot to take screenshots but I had them copied on the notepad.

REPORTED ISRs
    Interrupt service routines are routines installed by the OS and device drivers that execute in response to a hardware interrupt signal.

Highest ISR routine execution time (µs):              614,305952
    Driver with highest ISR routine execution time:       dxgkrnl.sys - DirectX Graphics Kernel, Microsoft Corporation

Highest reported total ISR routine time (%):          0,062915
    Driver with highest ISR total time:                   dxgkrnl.sys - DirectX Graphics Kernel, Microsoft Corporation

Total time spent in ISRs (%)                          0,071139

ISR count (execution time <250 µs):                   3997262

What was the conclusion under the stats page?

By comparison windows recommends ISRs take 25 us and DPCs take 100 us. But spikes are common and probably not out of the ordinary. But what matters is total time spent at these higher values.

How many reports for ISRS were > 250 us? 614 and 830 us is pretty high. Those spikes could indicate an issue. The fact that its in DXGkrnl.sys might mean BF V is causing it. You'd have to disable settings in game and see if that stuttering goes away.

Total execution time in the ISR for CPU 0 seems high to me. 37 seconds. Check your drivers tab to see if the storage driver is working harder.
    Post edited by SteveZee on
  • SteveZee
    edited May 31
    What was MEASURED INTERRUPT TO USER PROCESS LATENCIES? Hard page faults are also another possible culprit. What does that look like?
  • l-SneakyBastrd-l
    215 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    I don't get it on 430.64 nvidia driver or i don't notice it.
  • TFBisquit
    1718 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I had it earlier today. Went in a server that lagged considerably, aiming and scoping made it worse. Was just the one server though. Don't suffer from this though.
    But now I know how it feels, quite unplayable imo.