This Week in Battlefield V

Focused Feedback - Fortress Mode

PartWelsh
53 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, EA Community Manager, Battlefield V
edited June 21
Afternoon folks - 

Last week through Tides of War, you all got to spend time with Fortress mode. Today we thought we'd introduce you to legmek (Ludvig - @nattskfit) who designed the mode, as there's feedback we'd love to get from you all about your experience with Fortress.

Ludvig's a veteran at DICE, and those who are familiar with his work will know that he's a big fan of sticking Bridges in levels. He also has a fairly unrivaled keyboard collection at the Studio, and likes Cats. Because Cats are great. // Freeman

Hello!

I'm legmek, and I designed Fortress! We've gotten tons of feedback about the stuff that you liked and disliked when you played last week, but now that its enjoyed its time in the rotation, what do you think about it?

I'd love to use this opportunity to gather some focused feedback, so that I can bring it up as reference with the rest of the team going forward.

Here's some questions to get you started (but feel free to tell me absolutely anything that you like about Fortress):

* Fortress was built around delivering a fantasy. Do you feel like it worked? What did it feel like for you?
* Was there something in Fortress you'd like to see more of? If so what and why?
* Was there something about the two layouts you didn't like?

I'll be jumping in and out of the comments to share some extra insight, and respond to what I can. Thanks everyone for playing Fortress!

Ludvig // legmek
Post edited by PartWelsh on

Comments

• UniQue1992
    39 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited May 24
    * Fortress was built around delivering a fantasy. Do you feel like it worked? What did it feel like for you?
    In my mind it made me think about how great it would be if we could get a Grand Operation map about D-Day or Iwo-Jima  where you have to storm a beach. With a lot of imagination it felt like that.

* Was there something in Fortress you'd like to see more of? If so what and why?
    More immersion on the map, artillery getting fired, bombs going off. Just more immersion in general would be great in BFV. Sometimes it feels quiet or empty, when we are fighting a war.
    When you storm a hill, beach or anything you want to feel like you are in a bloody war. Just look at how BF1 did that, it was so good. Even if not being accurate it did feel like a true war. This is something the game really needs imo and would be really great for Fortress but also for other modes. Tiny thing I wanted to add here, also maybe it's nice if there would be random smoke barrages fired so 1. that creates more cover for the attackers and 2 more immersion. You could even readd something like the whistle from BF1, or if it's Russians you can add a big OOOORAAAAAHHHHH

* Was there something about the two layouts you didn't like?
    I think it was a little to hard for Attackers and I think it needs to be more tickets and more flags. So you go deeper land inwards (if you know what I mean).
  • Prep768
    3434 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    What was the thought process with regards to having planes in Fortress?

The nature of the game mode inherently clusters the players in a small area which in turn makes multi kills a common occurrence.

In the small amount of time I played the mode I can't recall seeing any AA for the troops to utilise. 

(the reason I didn't play a lot was due to being forced to play on 🇩🇪 servers as the 🇬🇧 have been shut down - please feel free to comment on this @PartWelsh)

Sterling job on devastation though. 
  • crapjon
    160 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    What's the deal with all the modes? How about one that a lot of us actually want/expect like hardcore?
  • A_al_K_pacino_A
    583 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    The biggest issue with attacking was the cover or lack of. Smokes help but you quickly run out of those and getting a refill was difficult, maybe more people will be running crates now with the changes though.

Of the 2 maps devastation obviously worked he best and I guess that is due to how difficult it was to even get started on Hamada. Maybe a smoke launcher like the BF1 livens projector , non lethal, would be good for the attackers guaranteeing cover.
  • TR-BatuhanKara
    7 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    PERMA MODE PLS
  • PartWelsh
    53 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, EA Community Manager, Battlefield V
    edited May 24
    Prep768 said:
    (the reason I didn't play a lot was due to being forced to play on 🇩🇪 servers as the 🇬🇧 have been shut down - please feel free to comment on this @PartWelsh)

Not a whole lot extra that I can add to that right now. The Matchmaking service in Frankfurt was identified as being as as equally accessible to folks in the UK (who were being predominantly pushed to UK servers). By adding UK to the EU matchmaking pool we enable more populated games for folks with minimal impact to connection. If we reach a position where we feel comfortable going back to the older system, we might, but for now us Brits will be directed into EU. 

I don't want to de-rail the thread so feel free to message me separately if you want to chat more on it.

Edit - Update on that topic here 
    Post edited by PartWelsh on
  • TFBisquit
    1631 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I liked the mode. While the start of the round could use some fine-tuning though. But once the enemy is inside the objectives I found it quite pleasant to play. From both sides.
    Fighting over B and C in Hamada was fun too.
  • Logosoft
    134 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Fortress is a good simulqtor of D-Day. However, it needs some fixes:

1. More flankings, especially in Devastation and more tickets for the attackers
    2. Add tank(s) in Devastation to end stalmate.
    3. More maps - e.g. in Arras the village is a good choice, swamp or the bridge in twisted steel, idk someone explained this in details in a post
    4. Make this mode permanent if possible.
    5. Hamada map needs arty more than Devastation, since roofop of the church is not destructable and Hamada is in the open.
  • Gr33nsIoth
    23 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    What I liked about fortress is that it resembles breakthrough which is one of my favourite game modes. 64 players with a clear role all fighting over a condensed chaotic area and of course streaks galore. Defending the frontline and protecting the fortress from incoming invaders was a great experience and reminded me of BF1 operations. I normally don't like defending, but this mode actually made it enjoyable
    I also liked the little bridges that take you from one point to another. The one on Hamada between the two towers was really useful and more of those should be placed on exciting maps + modes. The extended balcony on devastation was a great addition too. 

- I didn't like the constant flare spamming from the defending team. It made it impossible to breach the front line because we were all spotted 24/7. When that happened, it forced me to leave the server every single time and everything should be done to minimize the flare spam. Best thing to do is to move the ammo crates to the back of the map like you would normally do for other game modes. This should also delay other explosive gadget spam like piat's, grenade launcher's etc and give the attackers a bit more respite. 

- Too many objects and fortifications. Yes, it made excising maps feel somewhat new and it did transform the map physically, but i feel the sweetspot was surpassed. It felt like an obstacle course. I had loads of failed vaulting attempts and getting stuck on stuff that perhaps doesn't need to be there wasn't too pleasing. This mostly happened on Devastation but Hamada wasn't so bad. My suggestion is to make some fortifications buildable, like barbed wire instead of pre building everything for us.  

- Not enough tickets. Games ended slightly to quick and doesn't give the attackers enough of a chance to win. 50 more would be a good start.

- Flag Spawns. Lets say you manage to capture the last point on devastation first and you or your team try to spawn on it. You will get respawned back at the base which discourages flanking and capping the last flag first. I'm not saying that we should be spawned directly on the flag but at least somewhere near enough to benefit from such a strategical move. 

And lastly I did want to briefly talk about planes. As an infantry player who mostly prefers infantry only maps + modes. I actually didn't mind the planes/bombers on Hamada and they didn't seems to be as devastating as i feared they would. 
  • GrumbleSG9
    249 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    I didn't play much of Fortress but thought it was a decent enough game mode. I like the idea behind it. Main concerns about it were the lack of anti-air capabilities (maybe there were AA and I just didn't notice?) and the difficulty of attacking. It seemed like it would benefit from adding a couple of flanking routes to the maps so that defenders had to pay some heed to their rear. There's a map section from Tirailleur that would make a great addition - it could hopefully be adapted and implemented if you plan to run this mode again. Cheers for the effort Ludvig // legmek // @nattskfit (so many aliases - you a not-so-secret spy?) B)

• PartWelsh
    Cheers for the effort Ludvig // legmek // @nattskfit (so many aliases - you a not-so-secret spy?) B)

I've often wondered this too 🤔
  • ragnarok013
    3218 postsMember, Moderator, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Moderator
    For me Fortress was a mixed bag. Attacking really gave me the "Storming the beaches of Normandy" feeling, but it also gave me the trying to arm the MCOMs in the Metro tunnels feeling in BF3 as well which I wasn't a fan of. This game mode seems like it provides an experience already given to us in Rush or Operations but in a much smaller area. Add in the fact that we no longer have a mortar to clear out dug in enemies or drop smoke on the objective to cover our movement (medic smoke is in short supply even if you use the smoke launcher and smoke grenades) and it becomes a huge meat grinder experience.
  • ErrOrZ48
    47 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member

hope is mode come back

• ElliotLH
    8382 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    I enjoyed it for the most part but both maps felt like they favoured the defenders. I think it could do with some more flanking routes (E.G. Devastation is very hard to flank on due to all the OOB areas).

Oh and as much as I enjoyed flying on Hamada planes really should be removed from that map if the mode comes back.
  • HeavenFowl
    23 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Honnestly I found this game-mod quite interesting, but a bit broken on the side as they said. The idea is very good, but the map construction might need some ajustement. This gamemod obviously rely on strong assault and explosive to blast through fortification that made it impossible to pass without it.
    A few ajustement to have a smoother experience in my mind :
    • Build each point like a tiny fortress of it's own with small no man's land in between, so that loosing one merely mean loosing one foothold to the other team and not descending into a 64man domination mode (Cause yeah, once it's breached, the fortress mod end)
    • To compensate, make it easier to reach close quarter of each fortress by offering a bit more of cover for the attacking team and avoid the situation where the defender just mow down patch of attacker without them ever reaching a close decent attacking position
    • Strech a bit the frontline but make it into more "natural" choke point so that the fight present some clear lanes
  • Thormungo
    2 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I enjoyed it after the time needed to learn about the maps. Hamada was a bit hard to play because many players did not really understood that mode und the map did not made flanks easy.
    I hope that mode along with grind will come back. 
  • PotentPotables69
    13 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Enjoyed it a lot, please bring this back - it actually makes Hamada a decent map.

Only improvements I could see would be bringing back mortars. In this game mode it would be feasible to have mortar firing positions in your well established defensive positions.

Also allowing the azimuth your 6-pounders are aimed at to be shifted would be a great feature. Treat it like repairing a vehicle, you can shift the trails and adjust your fire to give you better coverage based upon the axis of approach for the enemy.

Incorporating additional land mines would add some excitement to the defense. Yes, we can use AP mines, but having the option of building a larger system of mines as an engineer would be interesting. Warning bells would also be a good early warning feature, it’s way more passive like a sniper dummy - but gives defenders another tool at their disposal.

I really enjoyed the ability for offenses to build a ladder and ramps, but these are not useful for every map. Give offensive engineers a bangalor mine to breach defenses.

Also having a periodic artillery barrage, or once again a mortar system would help the offensive team with establishing a foothold. Having pre-positioned areas that can only be built up by the offense would create a sort of beachhead or assault position once they have gained some ground without allowing them to get kicked back to square one if they are pushed back by the defense.

This game mode would be excellent on an Omaha beach map *wink* *wink*
  • lll_HOSS_lll
    53 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I enjoyed this mode and grind mode as well.  It would be nice to see new maps come out with these new modes although Hamada felt very different, in a good way, in this mode. I especially enjoyed that map in fortress mode.  How about letting the attackers build some fortifications along the way to provide some cover on the approach to Hamada (or in similar maps in fortress mode in the future).  Oh, and the attackers should get a plane or two in Hamada, not the defenders.
    In Devastation fortress mode I would have the defenders spawn a little further behind the church if they are down to defending C and allow the attackers to build some fortifications just outside the rear of the church while trying to cap C and then make it so once  C is taken they have to hold it for a period of time, maybe a minute or two.

Cats suck by the way.  Dogs are MUCH better!
  • rockefellerftw
    24 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    The mode needs HC and MORE tickets