This Week in Battlefield V

Focused Feedback - Fortress Mode

Comments

• Jaskaman
    655 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    I do not think Fortress mode works, it's just not fun and as a lot of people are camping as attackers, it doesn't work. High hopes but even more disappointments. 
  • 24Metri
    17 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    forget about the game modes remove this light circle glowing around soldiers ffs :|
    seriously wtf is this??? back to 2013 like bf4???
  • Trokey66
    8357 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Didn't work for me I'm afraid, to cluttered and 'easy' for the defenders. Not sure if possible, but it feels as if it needs to be asymmetrical with less players on the defending team.
  • Sabre_Ger
    1 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Loved it, needs to come back ASAP with more maps.

• BFB-LeCharybdis
    812 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    Interesting mode I gave it a go but I've not missed it too be honest. Atmosphere wise it felt a lot more like BF1 which I liked, but from a performance perspective game mechanics are so different in V I'm not sure trying to replicate BF1's Operations will work as well.

Some more flanking routes, either increase the map size or lower the player count and maybe allow for more interesting structures to be built via Fortifications to aid attackers.

The Assault have Piats, but maybe mortars for the Support class might work?
  • X_Sunslayer_X
    854 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    i dislike fortress for many reasons.
    • map-design is laughable at Hamada for example you spawn in direct line of sight of the defenders so from the first second on you are helpless
    • open fields towards the objective are not really working and causes attackers to prone down and take pot-shots instead of pushing in
    • medic should've been the most popular attacker class but as far as i saw in my few matches the class with the most utility but still i saw it as the bottom feeder (well utility does not make up for the in general underwhelming weapons)
    • once the attackers get a foothold into the first objective it does not really get better since there was almost no incentive for counter-attack gameplay so it was rinse and repeat the human wave charge ala soviet union. i understand some find it fun but i and many of my mates do not even in the slightest
    • its a clusterf**k and i have rarely seen this much explosive spam in any given server
    • highlighted a lot of the fundamental flaws of BFV with support and recon being able to spot through smoke-screens due to their traits or gadgets
    • 2 maps in a rotation got me logging off after the first 2 rounds since its even more boring then the current full-map  rotation
    • it did not really add anything meaningful to the BFV experience in general and i'd rather play rush over it anytime of the day
    what i liked about fortress
    • i was only forced to play 1 round of it for the TOW
    • it will be gone sooner or later
  • gabwolf94
    9 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    do you want an opinion for this mode? it's a crazy ****, but put the DUO back on firestorm? too complicated eh, so much do you do as the **** do you think, damn me when I bought this game, in the hope that it was at the height of all those others, but instead it isn't, thanks DICE
  • angelofdeath500
    1 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I love the game mode. It's what I wanted in bfv since day 1. It gave me the feeling of operation metro (my favorite map at all bf games) in the new game.
    I think it should come back and stay.
    In fact I feel a Lil bit of disappointment because you took it off.
    There is a lot of things to do with that game mode.
    Add maps and bring it back!!!
  • Minato007Br
    5 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    BF V needs Dunkirk and Normandy to be a complete Second War game
  • JUJAMAKILL
    331 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Oh yeah, I totally loved spawning as an attacker at the start of the game on Hamada and being instantly PAK40'd into oblivion before taking more than 5 steps. Awesome! //sarcasm...

Overall I felt it was an absolute garbage game mode. I liked the idea of a meat grinder but it was too restrictive in that there were only 2 routes to the objectives. The defenders have the high ground advantage, and due to the head glitch (where defenders can see me from the chin up, yet I can only see the dirt wall in front of me) meant that I was getting drilled before ever seeing an enemy. Defenders having bombers was completely unnecessary, in fact I think planes were not needed at all.

Don't like it, don't want it, but I don't have to play it so I care not if it stays. Though I will say I would prefer more new maps before wasting any more time on these stupid 'limited' time game modes. It is so counterproductive to keep putting energy into these things that last a week or 2 and then disappear whilst the core game suffers greatly for lack of content.
  • luky31
    5 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Grind was better mode. Fortress is pain for attacking team.
  • full951
    2465 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    I liked it. Take the planes out though.
  • FragbaitDax
    221 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Not a fan of the meat-grinder action, particularly where one team has a defensive position advantage. Unless attackers were a highly coordinated Discord team they would lose 9 times out of 10.

Some really bad decisions in the mode though. Firstly, planes are a bad idea because of the player concentration. As an attacker they are another impediment that you just don't need. The Hamada spawn being open to fire from the enemy is inexcusable.

I did like all the pre-built defences though, would actually like to see those in the core game.
  • Kattegat_Twin
    760 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    I liked it. It's tough as an attacker at first, but that challenge is great. I've never seen so many people actually using smoke... Now if you were to give us a proper D-Day map with this mode, you'd have a winner on your hands.
  • GUTENTAAAAG
    46 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    It was my favorite game mode along with Rush. You could come up with winning strategies which would actually work, making matches "skill based" not random.
    Loved both maps, playing both sides. Good job!
  • GenCuster
    68 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    edited May 30
    You could use the "Fortress" mode
    later in time,
    chronologically correct to develop a "Cassino" map.
    One of the most famous meat grinder battles of World War II,
    to conquer the Abbey of Montecassino, and breake the "Gustav Line" in 18/02/1944.

• hangman960
    41 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    i liked it good fun
  • Hard_2_Handle_13
    3 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    I loved it.  I'd like to see just the two maps added for full time play.  Though, I'd like to see the maps opened up a little.  The player is funneled into kill zones instead of being able to flank.  The running across open ground in Hamada was also not cool.
  • ninjapenquinuk
    1834 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Im all for trying out NEW modes but Fortress is just Breakthrough condensed so can't really see the point of putting all that time and effort into the mode when their should be other priorities. The upcoming Outpost mode at least seems a new concept.
  • ElliotLH
    8372 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Im all for trying out NEW modes but Fortress is just Breakthrough condensed so can't really see the point of putting all that time and effort into the mode when their should be other priorities. The upcoming Outpost mode at least seems a new concept.
    I seem to remember reading that Fortress was put together by a single dev. Even that was probably too much manpower though.