Should Dice reintroduce the CTE program?

DirtyDog1974
306 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
With the continued downgrading of playability with each new patch I feel that this is something they should look into if they have any hope of saving this game. I know it is a hassle to do this on consoles (PS4 here) due to certification process, but even if they made it available to just PC's it should help avoid some of the issues all of us are experiencing.

What are others thoughts, maybe we can make something happen. I can dream at least.😜

Comments

• MrCamp121
    466 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    100% yes. Or...at least test their stuff before Magoo-ing their patches
  • CSO7777
    1072 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    They had the CTE in BF1, but things were almost never changed (from CTE) before being released for the public game. Almost all bugs and balance issues found in the CTE was released in the next patch any way.

Caporetto and River Somme was a good examples, in the CTE people complained about the maps being awful and the attackers being spawn-trapped too often (conquest assault). The maps was released anyway (without changes) and they were really unbalanced, just like people said in the CTE.

There probably was some situations were patches was delayed because of problems found in the CTE, but in general it didn't really matter much in BF1.

I think making a good CTE takes more resources than Dice have, they need to fix issues and make new content instead.

And to be fair, the game is in a much better state now than at release. It still has a lot of annoying issues, but a lot less than when it was released (which was a disgrace).
  • Legarhead
    75 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Yes ....very yes.
  • ackers75
    2275 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Yeah can’t wait to test a game i bought......oh hold on!

Have you people heard yourselves.
    Hello earth calling reality, is there anyone in there.
  • bran1986
    5587 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    edited May 25
    The problem is they would need to bring maps, weapon, and patches to the cte early enough for changes to be made in time for release but in BF1 we never had enough time and the one time we were able to give feedback for changes, it was shelved and never came back unfortunately.
  • full951
    2407 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    No. Focus on the one build
  • DingoKillr
    3468 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    bran1986 wrote: »
    The problem is they would need to bring maps, weapon, and patches to the cte early enough for changes to be made in time for release but in BF1 we never had enough time and the one time we were able to give feedback for changes, it was shelved and never came back unfortunately.

This, don't forget up coming changes you could not test because no map up having that equipment.

CTE turned more into all early access videos. With YouTuber complaining about stuff before ithe changes was released.
  • DigitalHype
    734 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    With the continued downgrading of playability with each new patch I feel that this is something they should look into if they have any hope of saving this game. I know it is a hassle to do this on consoles (PS4 here) due to certification process, but even if they made it available to just PC's it should help avoid some of the issues all of us are experiencing.

What are others thoughts, maybe we can make something happen. I can dream at least.😜

They really don't have enough of a player base left to fragment it even more with CTE. What they really need to do is start testing their code more extensively.
  • JUJAMAKILL
    299 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Meh, I imagine it would make no difference what so ever. I am not convinced that after implementing a patch and testing it internally, that they are unaware of the bugs that eventually go live. They still push out broken update after broken update. Bugs like the epilepsy inducing flickering while waiting to deploy, the several different versions of bugging out after being downed, and the broken netcode would have been evident, yet it gets pushed out anyway...
  • VincentNZ
    2578 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    It is not worth it. You are splitting the playerbase even more since you offer a preview version of the game, that many will try out, without the hassles of the game like ToW, assignment lock, shop etc.. In previous BF some players would mostsly play CTE, which was not a problem before, but removing 5k players from the base game now is not an awesome idea.
    Additionally most never fully understood that the CTE was not a real testing ground, just a preview version. Yeah some changes hit CTE early, to gather feedback, but the actual testing was never done by the players. I recall a playtest for the revive mechanic in BF3, which consisted of a dark room with then people all reviving each other endlessly. That is a playtest.
    Further the CTE was only useful as a marketing gimmick, creating the illusion that you, the player, had an actual say in the development. Which you did not, they are trying out stuff all the time scrapping and tweaking, all CTE did was give them telemetry.
    Another important thing is that CTE was also often plagued with bugs and glitches, which was it's purpose by defintion. However since it is also a live version of BF, this gets into public, and the game appears more bug-infested than it really is.
  • Hawxxeye
    5178 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    they have proven they cannot  test their own game, even without CTE they should grab some of their gamechangers and have them test
  • VincentNZ
    2578 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Hawxxeye said:
    they have proven they cannot  test their own game, even without CTE they should grab some of their gamechangers and have them test

That is not how testing works, that would be a simple poll, if you like a certain thing. Gamechangers do not offer anything more than an opinion on a game their existence is tied to. That is a fair bit biased at least. Further the average player has no idea what the consequences of changes would be. Everybody hated suppression and spread, yet we had it in every game, however nobody actually had the numers and thought about the effects. It was miniscule.
  • Hawxxeye
    5178 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    VincentNZ said:
    Hawxxeye said:

That is not how testing works, that would be a simple poll, if you like a certain thing. Gamechangers do not offer anything more than an opinion on a game their existence is tied to. That is a fair bit biased at least. Further the average player has no idea what the consequences of changes would be. Everybody hated suppression and spread, yet we had it in every game, however nobody actually had the numers and thought about the effects. It was miniscule.
    they can at the very least though say "this upgrade on the tree is bugged you dumb sons of a gun"
  • VincentNZ
    Hawxxeye said:
    VincentNZ said:
    Hawxxeye said:

they can at the very least though say "this upgrade on the tree is bugged you dumb sons of a gun"

I am 100% sure they knew that. Is it a major bug? I daresay it is not relevant enough to validate delaying a patch that was approved by Sony and Microsoft (which is the major reason why getting patches is a rather rare occurence). Even minor bugs might need the devs to rollback the dev branch.
  • DingoKillr
    3468 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Hawxxeye wrote: »
    VincentNZ said:

Hawxxeye said:

But they are just as likely to say everyone will use the super gun and it needs to be scrapped. Just ask jackfrag about the 3 shot OP AA rocket gun.
  • ElliotLH
    7742 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    I'd like it to come back, yes.
  • NLBartmaN
    3043 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    I don't know if they should bring the CTE back the way it was used in BF1, but they surely need a new test method, environment and new QA and test devs.

At least stop testing on just their local network and quality identical pc's and use a real life test environment (with some high/unstable ping players and servers with max virtual servers live and max stressed) with all platforms.
  • G-Gnu
    1383 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    As former poster posted , this is already payed trial and error. 
  • SlowOldWarrior
    360 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Hawxxeye said:
    The "game changers" are too busy doing PR damage control on this forum to be bothered with QC.