Anyone still having doubts about stupidity of a "Live Service"?

Comments

• fragnstein
    854 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Hawxxeye wrote: »
    fragnstein said:

dcs500 said:

'But Premium splits the community'....

Producing a bad game with no content has, in my opinion, caused an actual and much larger split. I have around 30 friends on PSN I know only from Battlefield, out of those 30 there's about 3 who are regular BFV players, maybe a couple more that are casual, all the others are back on older titles or different games altogether.

Live service, lol.

they premium could be giving only the non map goodies so that the community is not split but they still have to pay and incentivize new stuff

That's pay to win, no thanks. That destroys a game quickly
    @fragnstein
    So you are saying that the BF3 to BF1 with the maps+ new weapons packages it had was pay to win? I am saying they should put the maps for free and keep  the weapons etc for sale.
    It is the only way around the community split due to map access

In a way , yes. There was a weapon in bf1 dlc( I can't recall which one, was an smg) that destroyed compared to the ones offered already. To compete with it, you needed it. To get it, you had to buy the map pack
  • G-Gnu
    1533 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    fragnstein said:

dcs500 said:

Producing a bad game with no content has, in my opinion, caused an actual and much larger split. I have around 30 friends on PSN I know only from Battlefield, out of those 30 there's about 3 who are regular BFV players, maybe a couple more that are casual, all the others are back on older titles or different games altogether.

Live service, lol.

they premium could be giving only the non map goodies so that the community is not split but they still have to pay and incentivize new stuff

@fragnstein
    So you are saying that the BF3 to BF1 with the maps+ new weapons packages it had was pay to win? I am saying they should put the maps for free and keep  the weapons etc for sale.

In a way , yes. There was a weapon in bf1 dlc( I can't recall which one, was an smg) that destroyed compared to the ones offered already. To compete with it, you needed it. To get it, you had to buy the map pack
    You know that was EA´s way to get you to buy premium or that particular DLC.
    The way to go is to have maps and maybe cosmetics in the DLC and let the guns be free.
    If they have gone the R6 way of doing Live service maybe, but as is now not so much.
  • Hawxxeye
    7960 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Trokey66 said:
    Splitting the player base was always just an excuse for people who didn't want to buy Premium/DLC, nothing more nothing less.

As for this attempt at 'live Service', we will only know for certain at the end of BFV's life cycle when all has been delivered.

Whilst some benefit of the doubt is still being afforded, the out look is not good so far.

Premium still looks the better model for me.
    I'm firmly in this boat. I'd happily pay extra for non-map content, limited early access and guaranteed map flow for all, not to mention support for a development model I'd be comfortable backing. Live service as delivered has driven me away from the game, and a single new map will not bring me back. Come to think of it, I'm now considering the focus on cosmetics as actively harmful to the development effort.
    I know the feeling, I have gotten the premium maps pack for all the BF3 to BF1 aside from BFH which was too boring.
    But if others may not be getting them and this is where this whole splitting is said to come from.
    I would really like to see the end out of that  predicament we are in
  • LinkZeppeloyd
    994 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    ''Come to think of it, I'm now considering the focus on cosmetics as actively harmful to the development effort.''

Kids want to play dressup..lel..
    Devs focused too much on carneval, pretty graphics and diversity..now they are paying for it...

There’s nothing wrong with cosmetics.... oh, unless you pick a HISTORICAL WAR with extremely limited uniform options without getting into fantasy land... all while refusing to show/sell cosmetics for the villain of said war.

It’s like the thought that they’d actually have to be creative literally never occurred to them.

For example... Star Wars. They tried to so cozmtx model for Star Wars. Except oops! They and the fan base instantly noticed that EA don’t own Star Wars, and therefore they can’t monkey with Star Wars skins (pink Vader for those who witnessed the Front Meltdown).

Like... .... .... ... HOW did this not occur to them in advance? Cozmtx works best when its a) fictional, and b) YOUR OWN FRIGGIN IP! Of course live service is going to be impossible when you have to beg the Disney Order for approval of skins from their IP. Of course live service doesn’t work in a GAME LIMITED BY REALITY.

Gee... let me think... Fortnite, PUBG, R6S, Division. All fictional. All original IP.

Hint, hint EA? Like gee I dunno, if you wanted an mtx game so bad, why not Bad Company or a fictional BFWar like BF2, BF3, BF4?

If next game is Vietnam with faux hawks and gold M60s, i swear someone at EA’s board needs to do something to save themselves
  • PoppaPappo
    241 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    EA moved from Premium to “Live Service” because they don’t want you to buy games anymore. They want you to subscribe to them. Premium doesn’t work with their subscription model.

They’ve got EA Access on PC and XBox and if you read the latest shareholder transcript you’ll have seen that it’s coming to PlayStation this summer. You’re not going to buy the next-gen Battlefield game. You’re going to subscribe to it.
  • LinkZeppeloyd
    994 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    PoppaPappo wrote: »
    EA moved from Premium to “Live Service” because they don’t want you to buy games anymore. They want you to subscribe to them. Premium doesn’t work with their subscription model.

They’ve got EA Access on PC and XBox and if you read the latest shareholder transcript you’ll have seen that it’s coming to PlayStation this summer. You’re not going to buy the next-gen Battlefield game. You’re going to subscribe to it.

Luckily for us consumers we’ve been tipped off. No one could subscribe to that and then claim surprise when it sucks. All the cards are on the table now. Buyer beware!
  • MarxistDictator
    5340 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    fragnstein wrote: »
    fragnstein said:

dcs500 said:

Live service, lol.

@fragnstein

None of the SMGs were game changing until they adjusted one from the 2nd DLC around the time they launched the last. But the playerbase by then was crazy shrunk and the last DLC/Apocalypse update was garbage anyway. They broke the game for a week.
  • dcs500
    1512 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    When a single map gets it's own trailer, you know things have taken a downturn.

The golden shill Westie is currently spamming twitter about it like it’s the second coming.
  • TheNoobPolice
    1667 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    dcs500 said:
    When a single map gets it's own trailer, you know things have taken a downturn.

The golden shill Westie is currently spamming twitter about it like it’s the second coming.
    IKR. Next, Dice will make a trailer for a weapon skin, and YouTubers will be making 10 minute videos saying how awesome it is.
    My main point is that imagine the time and effort that went into that trailer? If there were any other maps around the corner there's no way they'd be doing one for each.

I reckon this map is all they got for the forseeable...
  • BURGERKRIEG
    1065 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    If a game based on this “live service” model fails, like BFV has done, then the live service delivered will be sub par because it doesn’t make sense to put money and time into it from a dev/publisher point of view.

If anyone needs further evidence that this is indeed the case, just consider that the u.k. servers have been shut down and won’t be coming back online.

Cutting losses on a project that is failing to generate any further revenue right there. 

• ArchAngeL_777
    44 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Member
    edited May 2019
    Well I tag a mod and all the sudden my post shows up lol.  See below.
  • ArchAngeL_777
    Trokey66 said:
    Splitting the player base was always just an excuse for people who didn't want to buy Premium/DLC, nothing more nothing less.

As for this attempt at 'live Service', we will only know for certain at the end of BFV's life cycle when all has been delivered.

Whilst some benefit of the doubt is still being afforded, the out look is not good so far.

Premium still looks the better model for me.
    Agreed.   Most COD and Battlefield players are going to buy the season pass.  I've never seen DLC split either of these communities.   I've actually never seen it split a community period.   In less popular games, you just see DLC maps disappear from play after a few weeks because not enough people buy it.   That's why Killzone Shadow Fall gave their multiplayer maps for free.   In Killzone 2, hardly anyone played the DLC.   So the season pass for Shadow Fall was for a new Coop mode with original maps and cosmetics.
  • IIPrest0nII
    2540 postsMember, Moderator, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Moderator
    @ArchAngeL_777

I've approved your post.
  • Noodlesocks
    3740 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    The only thing I doubt is Dice Sweden and that would be true with or without a live service.
  • ArchAngeL_777
    @ArchAngeL_777

I've approved your post.
    Thanks!
  • Key2Destiny
    98 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    LOL of course not. BF5 and Battlefront 2 are the only games to actually make my jaw hurt do to all the clenching I do when playing the games, and not a big surprise but both are made by DICE and published by EA. Both games came out half baked and due to that the player base is really low in both games. Low content wouldn't be a problem if the games actually played half decently but they have so many problems that fail to get fixed the core of both games are buggy messes.