Should Dice reintroduce the CTE program?

2»

Comments

• X_Sunslayer_X
    679 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    well instead of a CTE maybe DICE should actually test their own patches more then "does it cause hard crashes yes or no"
    a finsihed game on launch would also work wonders but hey i am just uneducated
  • Legarhead
    75 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Jumpy-B-L wrote: »
    This IS the CTE.

Nothing more truer has been said.
  • bran1986
    5596 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Hawxxeye said:
    they have proven they cannot  test their own game, even without CTE they should grab some of their gamechangers and have them test

The "game changers" are too busy doing PR damage control on this forum to be bothered with QC.

From my experience the game changers didn't test crap in the cte, oh sure you would see them when a new map or weapon was being tested but it was a round or two to get footage and then they were out. The only game changer I saw testing frequently was Flakfire. Other than that when ttk 2.0 was coming out or we were doing ammo 2.0 you would find maybe 10-15 of us doing it. During at least one test on Prise we actually used bots.
  • Ferdinand_J_Foch
    3257 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    bran1986 said:

From my experience the game changers didn't test crap in the cte, oh sure you would see them when a new map or weapon was being tested but it was a round or two to get footage and then they were out. The only game changer I saw testing frequently was Flakfire. Other than that when ttk 2.0 was coming out or we were doing ammo 2.0 you would find maybe 10-15 of us doing it. During at least one test on Prise we actually used bots.
    I saw DanMiniGun and DANNYonPC a lot more than the official Game Changers. Hell, I think I ended up in one of DANNYonPC's videos.

I saw FlakFire a few times too, but I never saw the likes of Westie or XFactor. 
  • bran1986
    5596 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    bran1986 said:

I saw DanMiniGun and DANNYonPC a lot more than the official Game Changers. Hell, I think I ended up in one of DANNYonPC's videos.

I saw FlakFire a few times too, but I never saw the likes of Westie or XFactor. 

Danminigun and DANNYonPC I saw frequently as well. Xfactor and Levelcap were very rarely there and if it didn't involve a map you would never see them.
  • PrecisionWing
    620 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    CTE wont work, it didn't work in bf4/1, first most ppl wont even try it, second, even if someone give an constructive feedback, dice wont change the patch notes anyway.
  • rainkloud
    548 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    We could really use a Practice Range that would allow us to use all vehicles and weapons (with upgrades) so we can make educated commentary and isolate bugs.
  • bleachee
    969 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    I have mixed feelings about the CTE. A lot of good stuff came out of it but it also became an echo chamber for some of the more dominating members. That lead to TTK 2.0, which was a mistake in many ways.
  • bran1986
    bleachee wrote: »
    I have mixed feelings about the CTE. A lot of good stuff came out of it but it also became an echo chamber for some of the more dominating members. That lead to TTK 2.0, which was a mistake in many ways.

Most of the original testers were against ttk 2.0, especially with how dice was doing it by giving blanket buffs regardless of the ROF of the weapons. If you went on the CTE subreddit you would have a bunch of negative feedback and most of the up voted comments and threads were very negative.

Then the gamechangers started making their "dice saving bf1" videos. Then the fans of these YouTubers would come into the subreddit and downvoted anything against ttk 2.0 and you were called a "casual" or "noob" if you didn't like the changes.

Keep in mind these gamechangers were never in the CTE for any kind of testing, they would go in for a round or two and then they would leave. So people just got sick and tired and stopped leaving feedback and quit showing up to the CTE all together. By the end of ttk 2.0 there were 9 or 10 of us trying to test how ttk 2.0 would play on Argonne and Fort Vaux.
  • OskooI_007
    651 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited May 28
    DICE would have to pay me to be a CTE tester. Perhaps that's why everyone who plays BFV is a tester now. ;) DICE couldn't find enough people to do it for free.

Seriously though, I could care less about CTE one way or the other. I view it as pretty pointless because DICE is ultimately going to do what they already have planned. Ignoring most feedback.
    Post edited by OskooI_007 on
  • TheNoobPolice
    1574 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    The main "Battlefield Youtubers" don't even play the game enough. They only play it to create content. Jump in play 3 rounds, edit gameplay, record commentary, upload. Nothing to do with playing the game for them.

e.g Jackfrags BF1 profile

https://battlefieldtracker.com/bf1/profile/pc/JackFrags

9 days played after two years?

I'd done that within 3 months.
  • parkingbrake
    3202 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    With the continued downgrading of playability with each new patch I feel that this is something they should look into if they have any hope of saving this game. I know it is a hassle to do this on consoles (PS4 here) due to certification process, but even if they made it available to just PC's it should help avoid some of the issues all of us are experiencing.

What are others thoughts, maybe we can make something happen. I can dream at least.😜
    In theory it's a great idea, it worked well in BF4.  Unfortunately Nu-DICE isn't the same company, some developers have moved on, EA has DICE on a tighter budget, and EA has chosen a business model for BFV that has been a resounding flop.  So even if they bring back the CTE, they are entirely capable of making a mess of it.  Or they could easily ignore the results generated by CTE play, they did that at times back in BF4, e.g. there was a huge outcry against nerfing the SRAW but they did it anyway, went too far, and had to partially roll back the nerf.  When DICE decides to do so something stupid, no amount of player feedback is guaranteed to stop them.
  • DirtyDog1974
    306 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Thought now would be good time to bring this back up after the hot mess the hot fix has been. Thoughts now?
  • BFB-LeCharybdis
    745 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    Thought now would be good time to bring this back up after the hot mess the hot fix has been. Thoughts now?
    Braddock actually replied to this when I asked him.

CTE - CTE is a great tool but with the cadence of updates - it would divide dev resources and the community. We saw this in previous iterations - where some players would just play the CTE, or they'd only play the CTE to 'play new content' without providing the most critical second step - providing feedback. (This isn't to say we didn't get mountains of feedback, but we looked at data of those that played compared to surveys completed and it was a significantly higher percentage of folks 'just playing the new content first'.) 
    Secondarily, with the building of a CTE, we have resources divided between the retail and the CTE builds. Currently, we've been updating BFV every 2 -3 weeks (at least). From my perspective, there's not enough time to create a build for CTE, roll it out with limited testing by the community, gather all the feedback, put it in the next update that would have already had to be in FINAL by the time the content reached the CTE as it is. Therefore, any feedback from the CTE build would be "old" feedback when the same build went live in Production, so we'd get the SAME feedback from Production as we immediately start working on the next update/build. And it would be impossible to do on consoles based on the live game's update schedule, therefore we'd get pushback from 2/3 of the community if it was just on PC (which does make things faster but doesn't fully represent the entire community). 

I'm not saying it wasn't an amazing tool in getting new content tested en mass - it absolutely was. And if there was a way to reduce the lift and get CTE builds faster, reviewed, get  the feedback, and get those changes in the next update (based on our current update schedule), I would absolutely be on board with it. 

Regarding saving workload, it wouldn't actually - it would potentially help identify issues before they hit production, but the Devs building CTE and the Devs building the Live builds would be working non-stop, literally. CTE prepping for the next CTE, Live identifying, triaging & fixing JIRAs based on CTE feedback, building the next live build, then release. Then repeat. 

Don't take this as "Jeff said CTE is bad and is never coming to Battlefield V".  I don't know think that and I don't know that it  will or won't. I know there are significant hurdles to get it here and that has to be weighed against the potential benefits over the real costs (manhours, dev time, feedback value - quality and quantity) before it would see the light of day. 

I hope this answer was thorough and detailed, if not the answer you were looking for. 

-Braddock512
  • Halcyon_Creed_N7
    1303 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Yes, but on all platforms with no player limits. BF4 had CTE on Xbox, but you had to be invited so the population was miniscule to begin with and eventually just died off, but I think console feedback is important, because balance changes like recoil have much more profound effects on console, plus console players outnumber PC players, so ignoring such a massive part of the player base is short sighted.

Also, some incentive would be nice, like maybe a weekly bonus of CC for playing like 2 hours on the CTE.