Weekly Debrief

Removal of Frontlines & Dom [megathread]

Comments

• I_Debott_I
    35 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member

Dice really need to get cracking on the server programme so the community can fix their game.
    So far I didn't care for RSP since, from my experience, private servers often tend to have very nasty customisation settings. If it would bring back Frontlines, however, it can't come soon enough.
  • Mensrea831
    91 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Quite disappointing since i avoid conquest like the cancer it is. Either played frontlines, breakthrough or squad conquest.
  • VincentNZ
    3223 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Quite disappointing since i avoid conquest like the cancer it is. Either played frontlines, breakthrough or squad conquest.

That is intriguing, Why do you not like Conquest, but like SQC? Playercount/density? But the same can be said about breakthrough and frontlines, where everybody fights over an unflexible frontline.
  • trip1ex
    4898 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Epthy said:
    Why not remove Conquest instead?
    Because Conquest is Battlefield and has been since BF1942.
    this is true. It also makes sence to have other modes for other players who want a different taste now and then, who want infrantry only focus modes, with out tanks and planes.

There are  plenty of maps in Conquest with next to no tanks or planes.  It isn't like the old days where most of the maps had a lot of vehicles.  
  • xeNizKing
    482 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Epthy said:
    Why not remove Conquest instead?
    Because Conquest is Battlefield and has been since BF1942.
    this is true. It also makes sence to have other modes for other players who want a different taste now and then, who want infrantry only focus modes, with out tanks and planes.

Then battlefield isn't for them. The big seller for battlefield has always been the infantry, vehicle and plane dynamic. It was revolutionary for what it was when 1942 came out and still is a distinctive trait compared to most other FPS games. 

Though there are the likes of Arma and such those games attempt to build around realism where as battlefield never really has though it has tried in the past to keep an element of realism to it. Excluding BFV in that regard.
  • parkingbrake
    3202 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    bigiain said:
    I definitely believe lack of interest played a part. Frontlines isn't the same as it was in BF1,  and Domination has always been a niche. I'm actually surprised it wasn't TDM that got removed too, but that's probably too "old school" of a game mode to remove from a FPS. Didn't they remove UK or Germany servers? This seems to be somewhat the same thing in intent. They bring back Squad Conquest and Rush and remove Frontlines and Domination. The very idea that new modes that are introduced need to be taken out and replaced with something else shows they have a limited amount of servers to work with.
    TDM seems terrible in this, the maps are far too big. I think removing it would look embarrassing though, it shouldn't be that difficult to get right.

You can probably still enjoy TDM on your own if you're determined enough at least, Frontlines and Domination both fell apart if you got placed on the team who are allergic to flags.
    You are right about the BFV TDM maps, whoever designed them apparently never played on the very popular TDM maps in BF3 or BF4.
  • TropicPoison
    2421 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    TropicPoison said:

ackers75 wrote: »
    Nobody pushing anyone.

Just don’t bother playing the game!

DICE obviously is getting rid of frontlines which was always full matches when I played it full of action, I wouldn't doubt they keep dropping other game modes until firestorm CQ and one or two more are left.

DICE would probably go as far as getting rid of Conquest if the player numbers for that mode were 'too low' by their metrics. When a Redditor asked PartWelsh if Conquest will ever be removed, the CM said that it was 'highly unlikely' ... he couldn't even give a definitive and firm 'no' to that question.

You can bet that they won't remove Firestorm ... that was supposed to be their golden goose, and even though it has ultimately failed to revive interest in BFV, they're too arrogant and embarrassed to remove it, because doing so would be a big admission that their gamble was pointless.

You're right that they'll never admit that firestorm is a huge failure that they shouldn't have built the game around it with how the gameplay is, DICE have all been eating too much soy.

Their Golden Goose turned out to be unable to lay golden eggs.

And an extra side note, if they choose to add any BR crap to the next Battlefield that will be a huge no from me, seeing as they'll probably do the same thing with it building the game around it just like they've done with BFV.
  • llPhantom_Limbll
    5658 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    TropicPoison said:

ackers75 wrote: »
    Nobody pushing anyone.

Just don’t bother playing the game!

DICE obviously is getting rid of frontlines which was always full matches when I played it full of action, I wouldn't doubt they keep dropping other game modes until firestorm CQ and one or two more are left.

DICE would probably go as far as getting rid of Conquest if the player numbers for that mode were 'too low' by their metrics. When a Redditor asked PartWelsh if Conquest will ever be removed, the CM said that it was 'highly unlikely' ... he couldn't even give a definitive and firm 'no' to that question.

You can bet that they won't remove Firestorm ... that was supposed to be their golden goose, and even though it has ultimately failed to revive interest in BFV, they're too arrogant and embarrassed to remove it, because doing so would be a big admission that their gamble was pointless.

You're right that they'll never admit that firestorm is a huge failure that they shouldn't have built the game around it with how the gameplay is, DICE have all been eating too much soy.

Their Golden Goose turned out to be unable to lay golden eggs.

And an extra side note, if they choose to add any BR crap to the next Battlefield that will be a huge no from me, seeing as they'll probably do the same thing with it building the game around it just like they've done with BFV.
    BF BR s such a failure because majority of bf players never asked for it as BR in general is such an alien mode, people don't want to bother with it. Yet it has been pushed hard and failed twice as hard.
    Even though EA will never admit it was one whole mistake, I have a hope BR will never appear in any BF game again, so development can focus on important things instead of dumb stuff hoping to gain easy money quick.
  • bigmatt9486
    94 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    They under performed in sales for this game. I can't image how future DICE games will perform not only with their terrible marketing but players that have been scorned by BF5. 
  • Ferdinand_J_Foch
    3410 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    You are right about the BFV TDM maps, whoever designed them apparently never played on the very popular TDM maps in BF3 or BF4.
    The maps in BFV for TDM are far too big it seems.

On the other hand, they could have gone too far in the opposite direction and given us nonsense like Nosehair Noshar Canals TDM ... a total mess that mimics Metro Conquest. 

May as well have called that map Shipment 2.0.
  • TropicPoison
    2421 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    They under performed in sales for this game. I can't image how future DICE games will perform not only with their terrible marketing but players that have been scorned by BF5. 

If I had a magic 8 ball right now and asked about the future of Battlefield it would probably say to me "outlook not so good", and I'm more than sure EA hasn't been very happy at all that Firestorm failed so hard.

They don't get to have a piece of any of that popular BR pie.
  • Ferdinand_J_Foch
    3410 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member

At least EA has Apex Legends ... which will probably end up getting more attention and resources than BFV.

The existence of Apex Legends makes this even worse. EA wanted DICE to make a $60 BR, which was supposed to compete with Fortnite, PUBG and Blackout of all things, but at the same time, they release a F2P BR as well ... they didn't stop to think that Firestorm would end up competing heavily with another bloody EA product? They've ended up compromising themselves.

Anyone in their right mind would tell you that a F2P BR has a much higher chance of succeeding than a $60 BR attached to a full game. We haven't even considered the high system requirements and overall buggy state of BFV as well in this case ... just the pricing alone is working against it.
  • ElliotLH
    8559 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member

If I had a magic 8 ball right now and asked about the future of Battlefield it would probably say to me "outlook not so good", and I'm more than sure EA hasn't been very happy at all that Firestorm failed so hard.

Don't they get that pie from Apex? To me it seems like they really wanted two pies.
  • DrunkOnRedWine
    1618 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    edited May 30
    The maps in BFV for TDM are far too big it seems.

On the other hand, they could have gone too far in the opposite direction and given us nonsense like Nosehair Noshar Canals TDM ... a total mess that mimics Metro Conquest. 

May as well have called that map Shipment 2.0.
    Noshahr Canals TDM was so much fun with my old clan, shotguns and melee aplenty. I think the most fun I have ever had in BF. Yes Noshahr is difficult to spell!
  • MidriffUrchin0
    116 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Member
    Front lines and dom weren't modes I was interested in (or practically anyone else based on data), so I'm glad dice are seperating the wheat from the chaff.
  • TropicPoison
    TropicPoison said:

At least EA has Apex Legends ... which will probably end up getting more attention and resources than BFV.

The existence of Apex Legends makes this even worse. EA wanted DICE to make a $60 BR, which was supposed to compete with Fortnite, PUBG and Blackout of all things, but at the same time, they release a F2P BR as well ... they didn't stop to think that Firestorm would end up competing heavily with another bloody EA product? They've ended up compromising themselves.

Anyone in their right mind would tell you that a F2P BR has a much higher chance of succeeding than a $60 BR attached to a full game. We haven't even considered the high system requirements and overall buggy state of BFV as well in this case ... just the pricing alone is working against it.

So true, they shot themselves in the foot pretty much, repeatedly at that.

Apex legends came out blazing and shined very brightly and then died out just as fast, I was seeing so many articles and videos about it and then there was just nothing. I was really hoping at the least it would kill fortnite, because so many games now try to recreate parts of that crap game, if it wasn't for little kids and the cartoon look it wouldn't be nearly as popular I bet.

And yeah I'm not sure what reasoning EA had for releasing a F2P BR game when they had BFV, which was pretty much built around BR in mind with a lot of its design choices. I do like to think that EA thought very simply along the lines of "hey why don't we come out with another BR game aside firestorm then we'll be twice as popular!" EA do seem to be that stupid nowadays.
  • I_Debott_I
    35 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Front lines and dom weren't modes I was interested in (or practically anyone else based on data), so I'm glad dice are seperating the wheat from the chaff.
    I pretty much played Frontlines exclusively. Now I'm not sure if I want to play the game at all. :/
  • TropicPoison
    ElliotLH wrote: »

Don't they get that pie from Apex? To me it seems like they really wanted two pies.

Possibly but EA wanted all the pie though, so in the end they got a taste of pie (Apex).

Apex popularity died out very quickly though, it went from me seeing more articles for it than fortnite crap to about absolutely nothing.
  • mf_shro0m
    1752 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    They’re my favourite game modes too and there are often more than 10 full servers of frontlines.

I get the feeling they’re removing frontlines and Dom like they removed rush in an effort to get more people to play firestorm.

Dice don’t be so pathetic, please

Why don’t people like firestorm? Because it’s like a free for all deathmatch with a lot more camping but of course you don’t care about camping so you’ll never get it