Weekly Debrief

Removal of Frontlines & Dom [megathread]

Comments

• I_Debott_I
    27 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited May 30
    @ TheNoobPolice Exactly. You're summing it up very well. Especially that part on "transparency about what is core and immovable in the game and what is an "add-on" mode right from the start".
    These modes have been in the game from the beginning. I bought this game expecting to play them. But now?
    post-edit: Also, good read btw. ;)

• DJTN1
    306 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    You have to understand that BFV was built from the start with Firestorm in mind. Everything they've done is to support that mode. Small maps, attrition, switching game modes, removing them, TOW FS requirements ... It's all in an effort to get you to playing Firestorm.

EA is going to have a fartnite one way or another. And they don't care if they have to sacrifice BF, it's core fans or anything else.
  • VVaxDaddy
    132 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    DJTN1 wrote: »
    You have to understand that BFV was built from the start with Firestorm in mind. Everything they've done is to support that mode. Small maps, attrition, switching game modes, removing them, TOW FS requirements ... It's all in an effort to get you to playing Firestorm.

Unlike most here i actually love Firestorm, which certainly I did not think would happen when I heard about Firestorm (I hate most BRs). Also maybe unlike a lot here I hate most other gamemodes in this game and think the "Battlefield" portion of this game that I actually bought the game for plays like garbage. I play BF1 for battlefield and BFV for BR.

That said I'm not so blind as to see that most of the design choices that I hate in the standard mode were done to integrate Firestorm into a battlefield game.

I hope EA has the common sense next time to develop the next Battlefield independent of a BR mode. Maybe they can handoff the assets to criterion again and they can develop the next Firestorm and sell it separately for a lower $20 price tag or something to compete with other BRs better and make the money up in cosmetics.

More work will be required to develop Firestorm this way but I am certain both Firestorm and Battlefield will be better for it.
  • idk1233211
    632 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    edited May 30
    still confused on this
    Post edited by idk1233211 on
  • DesstheArcher
    4 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    • Domination removal is a tough concept to grasp since in many ways this decision makes sense, but the counters to these positive choices leaves so many different reasons for it both being good and bad. Domination at night past midnight around the US West time zone had a definite and severe drop of players playing for a while. To the extent that there was not any available to play as there was more players needed to even start the match in both West and East servers. UK servers seemed to always have a few at that time which makes sense, but lately they didn't seem to run smooth as they did a week or two ago. Removal makes sense looking at this trend.

• Panzerstorm recently being added to the rotation of Domination was a wonderful addition and the surprise that came out of no where really brought me great joy. Then the surprise of the removal entirely of the more itself felt as if I lost my best friend. This has made me think of so many theories for this that I realized I needed to stop, try to let go and label what is going on within as a new kind of depression called dompression.
    In the end, my dompression is improving. Seeing Squad Conquest improve as a result with more competitive matches and as a result I feel the community in the end might benefit from this. Seeing people I would regularly run into dompression was exciting as it always was in Domination and with the new map being added to the playlist there might just be something good coming out of this. Since the beautiful new map looks to be a map I could play all day on that mode. Thank you everyone for really being involved in this discussion that has brought more input than I expected!

• Ameriken05
    411 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Ummmm... how is 5v5 going to work with matchmaking and squads?  I've always liked the small-team game modes but there has always been a problem of joining a game with your friends/squad on one side and some other team/squad on the other.  The mode always seemed like it needed some visibility of online squads so you can see/challenge them.  I feel like what usually happened was we either had to find a partially filled server and slowly swap onto the same team, or we sat in an empty server for a long time waiting for someone to hopefully join.  It's like the small modes were intended for solo play with randos - that doesn't really make sense.  Hopefully that UI/matchmaking portion is finally improved and it's easier to join a game with your squad and find another squad to play.

Regarding Frontlines - it's a disappointment as I'm not sure we ever had problems finding a server and it was a good change of pace to the 64-player madness.  We are losing a couple of game modes that are on all maps and swapping them out with game modes that are only on 3-4 maps?  Sorry but I don't care what game mode it is, anything that only rotates 2-4 maps gets old QUICKLY.  I still think the angst with BFV and maps/modes all goes back to Grand Operations being a huge swing and miss after the long-lasting fun BF1 Operations were (standalone breakthrough is same in spirit, but just not quite the same in practice).  No Rush, no frontlines, no real Operations...  Crazy but I'm actually picking up Conquest again and learning to enjoy it (maybe that is DICE's plan all along).  Probably the fewer game modes the better, but they better all be fun :)

Really wish they could fix Final Stand a bit and make it a mode on all maps - like old Search and Destroy on CoD.  Very high stakes, no respawns, but quick games.  Maybe next time when I'm in charge lol.

CPT CALIGULA
  • CanaryDogg
    14 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    It is a great shame that these people eliminate us frontline, assault and domination, that take 6 months on a map, that do not pay attention to the community, I can not stand it anymore
  • Shadow0nTh3Sun
    120 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    If a topic needs a megathread, don't you think you should DO SOMETHING DICE?  Removal of frontlines is a PROBLEM for a lot of players.  Cheating on PC is a PROBLEM that needs to be managed.  Megathreads serve to contain the complaints but only highlight how unwilling or incompetent DICE is at listening to the players and fixing things.
  • TropicPoison
    2415 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Ameriken05 wrote: »
    Not sure I ever had an issue finding a frontlines server.  It was one of a few modes I liked to switch back and forth on for some variety.  And this has been more important on BFV since the Grand Operations mode is a bit flat...

Grand ops absolutely suck in BFV, why fix what wasn't broken from BF1?

DICE wish BFV was half the game that BF1 is, but it will never achieve even a fraction of what made BF1 great.
  • TropicPoison
    2415 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member

EA is going to have a fartnite one way or another. And they don't care if they have to sacrifice BF, it's core fans or anything else.

You couldn't be more right about that if you tried, you hit the nail with a sledgehammer.

How about that new modern warfare trailer? Looks damn good and very realistic looking, I hope the gameplay reveal will be just as good.
  • DJTN1
    306 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member

You couldn't be more right about that if you tried, you hit the nail with a sledgehammer.

How about that new modern warfare trailer? Looks damn good and very realistic looking, I hope the gameplay reveal will be just as good.

It looked really cool. Just hope it's not a loot box, micro transaction and live service bust.

We'll see.
  • TropicPoison

It looked really cool. Just hope it's not a loot box, micro transaction and live service bust.

We'll see.

I hope they move away from all that crap since they're wanting to return to their roots it seems, but like you say we'll see.
  • TuntevaPossu
    2 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    [/quote]

How about that new modern warfare trailer? Looks damn good and very realistic looking, I hope the gameplay reveal will be just as good.[/

I too am looking forward to that new modern warfare. At least you can be sure Dice won’t suddenly do some core “adjustments”, and so I will support that game.
  • ABC-Warrior-real
    31 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    It feels safe to say that the Live Service plan has spectacularly back fired, as has Firestorm for many players who just didn't want a BR mode in Battlefield.  Removing two game modes seems to underline the diminishing number of players on this game. 

Honestly, it sometimes feels life EA and DICE want the game to fail, every decision appears to be against what the players want.  Herding a smaller number of players into a smaller number of game modes won't save this game.  They need to get the next Theatre of War out NOW, not in the autumn, by then even more players will have quit.

I will really miss Domination, I much prefer that to squad conquest. And yes, I would love to see the return of proper Operations, three battalions fighting across two maps. Grand Ops makes no sense at all; the defenders win days 1 and 2 but still retreat to the second map where they can lose the overall game!!?? Since launch I've played Final Stand once! Once!!

Bring back real Operations!!
  • M1ck3y-XIX-
    45 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    Frontline need to back in permanent, or bfv is just go to die, game for **** like bfone, the last bf game for me, dice are juste stupid !!! go make sims game with licorn 
  • TFBisquit
    1638 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    @ TheNoobPolice Exactly. You're summing it up very well. Especially that part on "transparency about what is core and immovable in the game and what is an "add-on" mode right from the start".
    These modes have been in the game from the beginning. I bought this game expecting to play them. But now?
    post-edit: Also, good read btw. ;)

Indeed. I feel the same about their balancing of weapons. They constantly change, and what worked for me ( an average player), suddenly stops working after some patch. Relearning some weapons, finding some of them are now obsolete, and then they changed it all again with that small center offset, probably for people that use their monitors game plus feature, so they have a red or green crosshair in the center all the time.
    Which in my opinion destracts more than it helps.
    Anyway, I do like grand ops, and wouldn't want to see it go, just as I also liked rush and fortress.
    But unfortunately they keep changing things, and in the process make things harder or different.
    Removing a gamemode at that point, might drive players away that feel the same.
  • DALLAS-ak-PEIPER
    456 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    BF player since BC2, i was realy disapointed when i realize that for some reasons they removed RUSH from the base game. Since then i was mainly playing frontlines and today SURPRISE! Frontlines is also gone.

Is that plain stupidity or is there a reason behind all those choice?

• TheNoobPolice
    1577 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    https://www.reddit.com/r/BattlefieldV/comments/bv7uq7/community_broadcast_introducing_promotions/epmdi9y/?context=1000

I am confused.....

"We're removing Frontlines and Dom" .....

"but here's the new map on Frontlines and Dom!"