UK servers [Megathread]

Comments

• NLBartmaN
    4484 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    That Icon means the server is under heavy load. Not that the hardware is faulting, nor its network. Each and every server is given the exact same specs and hardware/software configuration. An AWS server in the US is no different than an AWS server in the EU.

Look at the Server Tick ms (network graph) when you get the icon. The Srv Tkms value shows how long it took the server to process "ALL" executions and updates for the current tick.

@60Hz the max tick interval is 16.67. If the number shown gets upward of 13ms then the server is getting bogged down. If it every reaches 16ms or higher you're looking at a potential server crash if it's maintained for a few seconds. A normal load value would be 8-10ms stable.

For 30Hz servers the max is 33.33ms, stable 15-18ms would be a normal load.

The only thing I know is that since that icon is in my screen 50% of the time, the game is terrible in every way.
    That icon start to appear more often after the UK servers were removed and the last patch was applied.

So something they did created a lot more load on the servers and made everything "netcode related" terrible.

But I will have Netgraph visible the next time I play the game.
    I am on PS4 so the 30Hz is what I have to look at.
  • JPhysics
    804 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I had the network graph/stats up frequently since this server change until recently, and I distinctly recall see the Srv Tkms between the 8 and 16 range.  Thats playing on 60Hz servers on the PC across day and night.  Problem is its all too frequently between 12 and 16 from my recollection.
  • Rev0verDrive
    6762 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    JPhysics said:
    I had the network graph/stats up frequently since this server change until recently, and I distinctly recall see the Srv Tkms between the 8 and 16 range.  That's playing on 60Hz servers on the PC across day and night.  Problem is its all too frequently between 12 and 16 from my recollection.
    You should see the performance icons flickering during times with 12-16ms ticks. Anytime the server tick ms reaches 12ms (3/4 execution time limit) you should see the "Poor Server Performance" icon. At 14ms you should start seeing the "Severe Performance" icon. If not then this needs to be addressed by DICE.

@mischkag Can we get confirmation on the Srv Tick performance values? Poor ms, Severe ms?
  • Rev0verDrive
    6762 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Unpopular opinion but I'm gonna make an educated guess. I actually think the UK server removal was only a small part of the issue. Before UK server removal playing in Germany I had very few issues with performance and lag, I played Frontlines and Conquest all the time on AWS Frankfurt and it was smooth. From April's patch which was released almost concurrently with UK server removal things deteriorated. Now the May patch released and the performance has got to the state where the game is unplayable. I blame DICE for poor patching rather than UK server removal. Think about it an increase of 15 - 20ms to ping would not change the game like this.
    A 15-20ms change in ping wouldn't if all players on the server stayed sub 80ms which they have not.

Here's the service coverage area for the Frankfurt servers. I'm going to take a good guess and assume that not everybody in this zone is going to have a sub 100ms ping.

• IIRogueMachineII
    1337 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Unpopular opinion but I'm gonna make an educated guess. I actually think the UK server removal was only a small part of the issue. Before UK server removal playing in Germany I had very few issues with performance and lag, I played Frontlines and Conquest all the time on AWS Frankfurt and it was smooth. From April's patch which was released almost concurrently with UK server removal things deteriorated. Now the May patch released and the performance has got to the state where the game is unplayable. I blame DICE for poor patching rather than UK server removal. Think about it an increase of 15 - 20ms to ping would not change the game like this.
    TBH i think its both the game and the servers. I can't put my finger on it and am the least knowledgeable on pings/connections etc etc but something isn't right. The UK servers were smooth and very well functioning but the German servers just doesn't feel the same, maybe thats because its used for a lot of OOR players whilst the UK servers were obviously too high for some and so they didn't have them. I mean something has changed because in the Beta whilst playing in UK and German servers my ping was 12 and 22 but for the full release its been far far higher. I just dont understand it. 
  • JPhysics
    804 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    ^What exactly do you mean by coverage in this case?  Are you referring to match making, as players can join any regional server via the server browser list.
    I have had games on Frankfurt servers where not one player is above 100ms, but I've also had plenty of rounds where I have had 1/3 players above 100ms which is more commonly found during the later hours as one would expect, especially when groups of China players arrive which push 300ms+.  
    I think this forthcoming private server service may have the tools to deal with high pings when the advanced features are eventually released, but seeing is believing.  I also think they are pushing the responsibility of server performance (ping limits if they are included) and anti-cheat measures (private server being able to kick and eventually ban) to the community instead of tackling the problems themselves.  I think it fair to say a player should be able to receive a good gaming experience even on their official servers.

• NLBartmaN
    Okay, this is strange, they changed the netgraph some patches ago, but now I no longer have stats showing.

Just a kill feed with player + damage and the graph itself, but no longer stats that belong to the graph themself ...

Anyone else has this problem or knows how to fix this?
  • JPhysics
    Its changed since its first introduction as you mentioned above, but there is a separate option to activate network stats except they appear at the bottom of the screen by default, not on the graph.
  • NLBartmaN
    JPhysics said:
    Its changed since its first introduction as you mentioned above, but there is a separate option to activate network stats except they appear at the bottom of the screen by default, not on the graph.
    There are no stats for me ... also not at the bottom, just blank lines where the info should be.
  • JPhysics
    Oh that's not how it was a week ago. I may reinstall it over the weekend just to check out the performance of the game, I'll active the network stats and let you know if I get the same thing now.
  • KPNuts74
    760 postsMember, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Fair play, I thought the admins were gonna kill this thread. Thanks for not burying this 👍
  • IIRogueMachineII
    1337 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    JPhysics said:
    ^What exactly do you mean by coverage in this case?  Are you referring to match making, as players can join any regional server via the server browser list.
    I have had games on Frankfurt servers where not one player is above 100ms, but I've also had plenty of rounds where I have had 1/3 players above 100ms which is more commonly found during the later hours as one would expect, especially when groups of China players arrive which push 300ms+.  
    I think this forthcoming private server service may have the tools to deal with high pings when the advanced features are eventually released, but seeing is believing.  I also think they are pushing the responsibility of server performance (ping limits if they are included) and anti-cheat measures (private server being able to kick and eventually ban) to the community instead of tackling the problems themselves.  I think it fair to say a player should be able to receive a good gaming experience even on their official servers.

I can honestly say i never or at least rarely experienced high ping players with the UK servers, with the German servers being the central European location OOR players will draw to them to get games, regardless of using in the server browser or matchmaking. Since the German only servers theres rarely a game for me were theres been hardly any. Usually a handful of 100+ ping players. It got to a point with UK servers that i just thought maybe all the OOR players areas had more servers because i rarely saw them. I now know they were playing in the German ones. 
  • NLBartmaN
    A 15-20ms change in ping wouldn't if all players on the server stayed sub 80ms which they have not.

Here's the service coverage area for the Frankfurt servers. I'm going to take a good guess and assume that not everybody in this zone is going to have a sub 100ms ping.

Everything further away than Bulgaria and Spain should NOT be on the EU servers and cause by far the most problems.

They need their own servers.
  • IIRogueMachineII
    Well thats a large amount of the issue. There simply isn't enough servers across the world to cover the whole player base which for a company the size of EA isn't great. 
  • Rev0verDrive
    NLBartmaN said:
    Everything further away than Bulgaria and Spain should NOT be on the EU servers and cause by far the most problems.

They need their own servers.
    Well thats a large amount of the issue. There simply isn't enough servers across the world to cover the whole player base which for a company the size of EA isn't great. 
    This is what you get when you use cloud services. You can only have servers where the service offers them. Over time when the player base dwindles many regions are merged. This process increases the player pool for MM, but it also increases the variance in regional latencies. This is exactly what you're seeing with the drop of UK (London) servers. The same happened in NA. Only NA East is being used (Virginia) to service the entire continent.
  • plasticman883
    374 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited June 2019
    PS4 here. 

It's not to do with ping. Mine is 20 on the German ones and it still feel likes Team Fortress circa 2000. The UK servers used to give mea ping of 9 and the difference for 10 extra ms is like night and day, playable and unplayable. I've also been on loads of games where it played like crap, checked the scoreboard and all 64 players have had pings 100 max. 

I had a sublime, blissful period yesterday when I managed to get on a server that played as normal, wow, was like playing a different game. Damn shame, as it's shaping up to be a decent otherwise. 
  • IIRogueMachineII
    So were BF1 servers similar or are they now the same as BFV's?? Because whatever has happened they play very differently.
  • colour123k
    4 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Member
    If you have fibre you probably ok playing on German servers. I live in Ireland. Sometimes you die quickly from nowhere and there some lag spikes now and again.  Its not terrible as of yesterday. I can imagine people living in the UK with no fibre will hate the German server. Their ping will be higher and they will die a lot. German and continental players are going to be faster there no doubt about that when firing their gun. Uk and Ireland servers are better for players who live in Northern Europe, that will never change.
  • colour123k
    4 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Member
    I think it just a case of all the UK and Ireland players joining the German server. It going to increase latency on this server. Before the cross over to different servers was low among players. 
This discussion has been closed.