32 bit, 384000 Hz

13»

Comments

• STOPchris
    463 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    <blockquote class="Quote">
      <div>STOPchris said:</div>
      <div>I like how this whole thread got completely away from the main point... That THIS game is one of the only to not support it. The issue is having to jump into Windows audio settings every time that I want to play this game and change the settings. Whether people can hear the difference or not was never the point. </blockquote><br></div><div><br></div><div><br></div><div>But it actually is the point - the game doesn't support it because there's no positive reason to. In fact, supporting it could only lead to a degraded audio experience unless the Devs were to encode their audio files at that bit depth and sample rate, which would lead to unreasonably large audio files for no benefit. <br></div><div><br></div><div>The issue is with a white elephant soundcard, not the game.
    <br>
    Not really, people said the same thing when games came out with stuck at 48000 Hz when all of the modern games supported 192000 Hz. Don't you guys see how this works? Every time new tech comes out someone states that it doesn't make a difference anyway... It happened with monitors going from 60 Hz to 120 Hz. It happened with ultra wide monitors... It pretty much happens with anything new that comes out. 
  • TNA_SneakyMonkey
    543 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    For someone with such good ears you're a remarkably poor listener.
  • CSO7777
    1067 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    STOPchris said:
      <div>I like how this whole thread got completely away from the main point... That THIS game is one of the only to not support it. The issue is having to jump into Windows audio settings every time that I want to play this game and change the settings. Whether people can hear the difference or not was never the point. </blockquote><br></div><div><br></div><div><br></div><div>But it actually is the point - the game doesn't support it because there's no positive reason to. In fact, supporting it could only lead to a degraded audio experience unless the Devs were to encode their audio files at that bit depth and sample rate, which would lead to unreasonably large audio files for no benefit. <br></div><div><br></div><div>The issue is with a white elephant soundcard, not the game.
    <br>
    Not really, people said the same thing when games came out with stuck at 48000 Hz when all of the modern games supported 192000 Hz. Don't you guys see how this works? Every time new tech comes out someone states that it doesn't make a difference anyway... It happened with monitors going from 60 Hz to 120 Hz. It happened with ultra wide monitors... It pretty much happens with anything new that comes out. 
    Not gonna discuss HD-audio with you anymore...

But your problem is probably related to your drivers or Windows itself. Windows receives sound from applications and then mixes/upsamples it to your audio-cards settings (unless the application uses WASAPI, which battlefield probably doesn't). The game is probably not aware of your sound-cards settings and your problem is that Windows does not upsample the sound correctly. Don't expect Dice to use any time on this problem, because it's probably not something they can fix anyway. I think you should start by looking for a better driver. Drivers for soundcards are known to be problematic and have weird issues.

You could just use a lower sample-frequency for windows sounds (192000 Hz) and then use an audio/video-player which can play HD-audio using WASAPI or ASIO when you need to play HD-audio. WASAPI/ASIO can bypass the Windows audio-engine and play HD-audio in its native formats, regarding the settings of the sound card in Windows.
  • Sp3ckledJ1m
    182 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    384kHz means that due to Nyquist sampling theorem, that aliasing occurs at anything above 192kHz which is way outside the human hearing range which in a perfect human ear goes up to about 20kHz. Most adults can't hear much above 16kHz. There is really no point to using a really high sampling rate unless you're using distortion FX that add harmonics above the Nyquist frequency that will cause aliasing. The only advantage of high sampling rate is low latency at the cost of stupidly high CPU usage which is fine when you're just recording external audio, but real time rendering audio isn't worth it. 

Sorry, but DICE doesn't make games for bats, porpoises and dolphins :'(
  • STOPchris
    463 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    CSO7777 said:
    STOPchris said:
    <br>
    Not gonna discuss HD-audio with you anymore...

But your problem is probably related to your drivers or Windows itself. Windows receives sound from applications and then mixes/upsamples it to your audio-cards settings (unless the application uses WASAPI, which battlefield probably doesn't). The game is probably not aware of your sound-cards settings and your problem is that Windows does not upsample the sound correctly. Don't expect Dice to use any time on this problem, because it's probably not something they can fix anyway. I think you should start by looking for a better driver. Drivers for soundcards are known to be problematic and have weird issues.

You could just use a lower sample-frequency for windows sounds (192000 Hz) and then use an audio/video-player which can play HD-audio using WASAPI or ASIO when you need to play HD-audio. WASAPI/ASIO can bypass the Windows audio-engine and play HD-audio in its native formats, regarding the settings of the sound card in Windows.
    When did I ever say that I wanted to "discuss HD-audio" with anyone? You guys came in a derailed the hell out of my thread! This thread was about Dice's game not supporting this setting, when pretty much every other newer game does. How the mods let you guys run amok in this thread is beyond me... Typical I guess. 
  • STOPchris
    Such terrible trolling. This thread was NEVER meant to be an argument about if you can hear the damn setting or not! 
  • CSO7777
    1067 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    edited June 3
    STOPchris said:
    Such terrible trolling. This thread was NEVER meant to be an argument about if you can hear the damn setting or not! 
    You started the discussion by indicating that Dice 'was behind the times'.

And even when trying to answer your question, you only focus on "the discussion"
    (content removed by moderator)
    Post edited by Carbonic on
  • Carbonic
    1198 postsMember, Moderator, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Moderator
    I'll be closing this thread now. Thanks for reporting the issue. To the current and future people having this issue and would like to report their information so it potentially can be easier to solve please report it in the bug report section of Answers HQ:

This discussion has been closed.