And this is how good developers at Dice learned history

Comments

• GrinddalDDG
    463 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    GrinddalDDG said:
    I am offended, that so many people get triggered by stuff like this...

They could have put swastikas and all in the game for my sake!

It is a game!

And it depicts something that relly happened..
    It's not about things being added or not. Last year people at EA/Dice called people uneducated and remined of "right side of history". Yet it's them who made such dumb mistakes showing their own lack of history education. That's pretty ironic, isn't it?

Oh, I agree about that! 😊
  • llPhantom_Limbll
    6294 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Ea dice didn't call people uneducated. 1 person did.
    He did that while being part of EA/Dice. And this current situation shows their own illiteracy. 
    I bet it takes a couple of minutes to check if the name of the character you created doesn't belong to a real person and that person wasn't completely opposite of your fictional guy. 
  • VincentNZ
    3885 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    A person that was, at that time, still officially affiliated with EA, and wasn't that in an interview where he spoke in his function as EA's Creative Director? So that is an official statement.
    In any case, Wilhelm Franke is just the standard clichée name. Of course, there are and were people with that name, I really do not see the issue. What I do see an issue with, naturally is with giving Axis soldiers the stereotype villain look, which creates a whole slew of questions. The article goes wrong here as well. Not showing the swastika is naturally the best choice, because it would cause legal issues in many countries, it was never used on field uniforms anyway and it does not create the issue of playing as a party member.
    Secondly the article is wrong in the sense that it substitutes German Soldier for party member, which is wrong. Private John Wilson, was exactly the same guy as Grenadier Erich Müller. However if you, as a Dev, create the fantasy villain look for one side of the conflict, people will tend to associate that with a separate army in WWII Germany. Dangerous territory indeed, especially if your tolerant and diverse approach and claim was indeed genuine.
  • Stahlmach
    1156 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    VincentNZ said:
    A person that was, at that time, still officially affiliated with EA, and wasn't that in an interview where he spoke in his function as EA's Creative Director? So that is an official statement.
    In any case, Wilhelm Franke is just the standard clichée name. Of course, there are and were people with that name, I really do not see the issue. What I do see an issue with, naturally is with giving Axis soldiers the stereotype villain look, which creates a whole slew of questions. The article goes wrong here as well. Not showing the swastika is naturally the best choice, because it would cause legal issues in many countries, it was never used on field uniforms anyway and it does not create the issue of playing as a party member.
    Secondly the article is wrong in the sense that it substitutes German Soldier for party member, which is wrong. Private John Wilson, was exactly the same guy as Grenadier Erich Müller. However if you, as a Dev, create the fantasy villain look for one side of the conflict, people will tend to associate that with a separate army in WWII Germany. Dangerous territory indeed, especially if your tolerant and diverse approach and claim was indeed genuine.
    All this just shows that the concept of " Elite Skins/Soldiers " was stupid right from the start. Its a WW 2 shooter and if they would given us normal Soldiers and Officer Uniforms, this issue wouldnt have occured this way.
    Instead they went the Fortnite way with german Skins that would better belong in a Hellboy movie or Captain America fighting Hydra.
  • suffice_ls
    492 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    With all the wamens and other silly-stupid, purposefully historically inaccurate quirks in this WW2 game, that Elite guy might as well have been called Nelson Mandela. Why kick up a fuss?...The argument about how this game is not meant to be historically accurate or authentic has been made and won within the Battlefield community a million times.
  • suffice_ls
    492 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    Yeah, but when you work for a company, you represent that company....Besides, what about what his at-the-time fellow snowfla-- colleages, I was gonna say colleages-- said on Reddit?

Sorry, but you know as well as anyone else, that we might as well refer to that 1 person and EA/DICE interchangeably in regards to that incident.
  • ackers75
    2651 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member

Come on pal you and me both know that’s not how it works.

Anyway this is all a bunch of nothing and the community should be worrying about the game rather than some silly name.
  • mcRen98
    349 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    edited June 2019
    All EA had to do was just ignore the controversy the journalists tried to stir (one such journalist from Kotaku who complained that the Last Tiger had a German protagonist and that the current year is not right for that). The fact they gave in really does lament how much tip toeing the publisher and devs did for this game to ensure anything related to N azism was blocked. I'm curious why they even chose ww2 when they were so unsure of doing ww1 at all. Given that they have literally 10+ maps and like 5 warstories dedicated to fighting the Germans or playing as them.

Wilhelm Franke's character model is another story, guy does look like a Marvel villain but it goes to show just how the concept of German elite skins would backfire on EA. And here I keep seeing on Reddit for people requesting actual ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ cosmetics/elite skins lol.
  • G-Gnu
    1527 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Yeah, but they did no official denounce about that one persons statement either what i know of anyway, so it depends on how you interpret the silence from EA.
    You know it was a EA VP that did it, not really anybody.
    Sure you are right, no official statement, but if the Executive Vice President is saying stuff like that, the company usually has the similar opinions, though they probably never will go official with that though.

• OskooI_007
    1310 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited June 2019
    I like the trailer for Wilhelm Franke. DICE even embraced the whole Phantom of the Opera theme with the music and the cathedral setting.

There's no denying they painted the German soldier with a villainous tone though.

• Astr0damus
    2904 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    If you don't like it, don't buy it.
    If you buy it, like it.
  • BiscuitFrenzy
    149 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    I’m finding it a little hard to credit the idea that anyone would create a fictional character in this day and age and not google their proposed name just in case. 

I’m not German so I don’t know if this name is the equivalent of Joe Bloggs or John Doe, which is exactly why you check. If the dev who suggested the name was German that just raises more questions than it answers.

So the name will be changed, fine, good. But the controversy has now lead to an EA statement that is being widely mocked for wanting to avoid taking a political stance on WW2. You know, the war where one side was quite invade-y and genocide-y. “History is written by the victors” doesn’t quite apply here, sorry, don’t @ me.

You can’t have a war game with only one side and I’ve been fine with the way the conflict and factions have  been handled in general but someone has at the least dropped the ball in this specific instance and it is really not a strong look for Dice & EA.
  • VincentNZ
    3885 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    I’m finding it a little hard to credit the idea that anyone would create a fictional character in this day and age and not google their proposed name just in case. 

I’m not German so I don’t know if this name is the equivalent of Joe Bloggs or John Doe, which is exactly why you check. If the dev who suggested the name was German that just raises more questions than it answers.

So the name will be changed, fine, good. But the controversy has now lead to an EA statement that is being widely mocked for wanting to avoid taking a political stance on WW2. You know, the war where one side was quite invade-y and genocide-y. “History is written by the victors” doesn’t quite apply here, sorry, don’t @ me.

You can’t have a war game with only one side and I’ve been fine with the way the conflict and factions have  been handled in general but someone has at the least dropped the ball in this specific instance and it is really not a strong look for Dice & EA.

It is not a common name, Wikipedia shows five entries in Germany and none for the English. It is however a name that is pretty stereotypical I daresay, without sounding to offensive. Basically the standard you would go to, when aiming for that typical german experience.
    I do have a problem with the villainy look, since there is a clear distinction that needs to be drawn between the German Army and paramilitary groups. Not because of war crimes that were comitted either way, but because of the players. You really do not want to make your game look like you are playing a badass dude of the really wrong kind. This is a very thin line and DICE is better off giving the Axis the average Joe soldier customization and not uniforms that maybe, kind of, could look like they are from a certain paramilitary group.
  • CHAMMOND1992
    1398 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    VincentNZ said:

You really do not want to make your game look like you are playing a **** dude of the really wrong kind. 
    That's exactly what they want, hence the design. It's a ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ officer that isn't a ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.
  • parkingbrake
    3202 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member

It is a game!

There were good reasons why game publishers didn't put swastikas etc. in their games, namely Germany and Austria had laws against the display of that emblem and keeping your game from being sold in a market with a combined population of 90 million people doesn't seem to be a smart move.  Germany has recently amended its laws to allow games to display the swastika etc. in the same way they can be shown in movies, but game companies probably still find it something to be avoided if possible.
  • Trokey66
    9107 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    All this fuss over nowt!

Oh well.......
  • SirTerrible
    1713 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Sounds like it was just a coincidence that he had the same name? People get outraged over anything.
  • StarscreamUK
    7533 postsMember, Moderator, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Moderator

It is a game!

There were good reasons why game publishers didn't put swastikas etc. in their games, namely Germany and Austria had laws against the display of that emblem and keeping your game from being sold in a market with a combined population of 90 million people doesn't seem to be a smart move.  Germany has recently amended its laws to allow games to display the swastika etc. in the same way they can be shown in movies, but game companies probably still find it something to be avoided if possible.
    They cant just put them in willy nilly, they have to apply for it.
  • Toxic_CA
    951 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    the name is being changed, drama over.

This thread is so dumb. It was an honest mistake. Like are they supposed to research every single name they put together?
  • parkingbrake
    3202 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Toxic_CA said:
    the name is being changed, drama over.

This thread is so dumb. It was an honest mistake. Like are they supposed to research every single name they put together?
    The movie and TV industries have done that for decades, names of characters--especially bad guys--are checked to make sure there isn't someone of that name in that city who could claim the character in the movie/show is based on him and so he's suing for $57,000,000 because now everybody thinks he's a mob hitman (or they use a name so common no one person can claim it's him).  Sounds silly, but they do it.