Why does DICE break more than fix?

2»

Comments

• MarxistDictator
    5332 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    It seems as thought the content they wanted to add has exceeded the engines capabilities but being a cheap company, they continue to use the engine for multiple games.  It's much cheaper for them to use an overwhelmed engine than to develop a new one or pay 5% or more to use someone else's engine.  I still feel like a lot of the ttk/ttd/lag issues are engine related and not necessarily server related.

This engine is also used for a bunch of other EA games so it won't be until it literally implodes under its own instability until we're rid of it. Possibly not even then, since Fallout 76 set a new low for the industry in terms of unplayable garbage people will still buy.
  • joshualee585900
    89 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member

^^ this.

Those calling dice incompetent really should start taking things like this into consideration.

When a dice dev states explicitly that the frostbite engine is particularly troublesome to work with,  it kinda tells you how difficult it can be to work with software that is difficult to use.

Why can’t we use a different engine? And what’s the easiest engine to use ?
  • ElliotLH
    9759 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    It seems as thought the content they wanted to add has exceeded the engines capabilities but being a cheap company, they continue to use the engine for multiple games.  It's much cheaper for them to use an overwhelmed engine than to develop a new one or pay 5% or more to use someone else's engine.  I still feel like a lot of the ttk/ttd/lag issues are engine related and not necessarily server related.

This engine is also used for a bunch of other EA games so it won't be until it literally implodes under its own instability until we're rid of it. Possibly not even then, since Fallout 76 set a new low for the industry in terms of unplayable garbage people will still buy.
    looooooove Fallout but they do need a new engine.
  • Ferdinand_J_Foch
    3419 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member

But the TV missile bug still being in BF4 is the real reason to not play it.
    For me, it was dusting. 

It still bloody happens.

I was always pretty livid whenever that happened, especially if I got dusting on an aircraft. If they ever make another modern BF game (which I hope won't be anytime soon, to be honest), this glitch better not come back.
  • LOLGotYerTags
    14644 postsMember, Moderator, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Moderator

^^ this.

Those calling dice incompetent really should start taking things like this into consideration.

When a dice dev states explicitly that the frostbite engine is particularly troublesome to work with,  it kinda tells you how difficult it can be to work with software that is difficult to use.

Why can’t we use a different engine? And what’s the easiest engine to use ?
    Every engine has its pros and cons..

We all know the pros of frostbite is the visuals and the way audio is processed,  And the cons is what the devs have mentioned before,  difficulty in using it / patches not being straightforward / bugs that keep bouncing back.

Unreal Engine 4 would be a decent engine,  But Imagine how much money licencing the engine would cost when EA are likely to be shifting hundreds of thousands of units ( Epic games require a percentage of each sale for royalties ) 

But the bonus of Frostbite is it's an in-house engine so EA owns the rights to the entire thing,  Which means pushing new titles out on it won't cost them a penny,  Save for the marketing and usual development costs.
  • MarxistDictator
    5332 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    MarxistDictator said:

But the TV missile bug still being in BF4 is the real reason to not play it.

For me, it was dusting. 

It still bloody happens.

I was always pretty livid whenever that happened, especially if I got dusting on an aircraft. If they ever make another modern BF game (which I hope won't be anytime soon, to be honest), this glitch better not come back.

Dusting is just latency related and will probably always happen with fast moving aircraft until ping caps are a thing. Goes for the shoddy online smoothness in general really, but we need to let 150 ping players run rampant for it to truly be everyone's battlefield.
  • Astr0damus
    2904 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Activision has numerous Game Designers to choose from, so when things get wonky, they can simply change the team.
    =====
    Link: https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2019-05-19-activision-moves-treyarch-to-lead-2020-call-of-duty-following-reports-of-tension-between-co-leads-sledgehammer-and-raven (At the bottom of the article there is a youtube of some CoD Battle Royale mode, which looks pretty sucky IMO, but then again I hate BR modes anyway)

• DrunkOnRedWine
    1693 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    ElliotLH said:

I'm a massive fan of the original games, the original Fallout and Fallout 2 were amongst the most atmospheric pure escapist RPG games ever made. Mark Morgan's music was so far ahead of it's time., it was brilliant. I think I played the original 3 times over. 

Not so enamoured with Bethesda offerings, but Fallout 4 was the last single player game I completed. A friend of mine is playing F76, he says it's decent and still keeping his interest but I was put off by the reviews, would you recommend it?

I agree the Gamebryo engine is starting to show its age. It was once beautiful but the player models look poor now.
  • SirTerrible
    1713 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    My guess: the engine is a tire fire and those that built it no longer work on Battlefield so fixing things that break is a nightmare.
  • Noodlesocks
    3733 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    ElliotLH said:

I'm a massive fan of the original games, the original Fallout and Fallout 2 were amongst the most atmospheric pure escapist RPG games ever made. Mark Morgan's music was so far ahead of it's time., it was brilliant. I think I played the original 3 times over. 

Not so enamoured with Bethesda offerings, but Fallout 4 was the last single player game I completed. A friend of mine is playing F76, he says it's decent and still keeping his interest but I was put off by the reviews, would you recommend it?

I agree the Gamebryo engine is starting to show its age. It was once beautiful but the player models look poor now.
    It's fun with friends if you all create a character and level them together. Not much on offer for a solo player and it's not very deep. They did implement a hardcore mode where PvP is always on if you're into that kind of thing but last I played (about 6 months) it wasn't very balanced (Melee was the best, even against power armour)