Why is BF1 so desrespected?

Comments

  • disposalist
    8480 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    ps_865 wrote: »
    y_j_es_i said:
    Imo the TTKs at launch sucked but they’ve done a great job of tweaking them

    No, the game tanked bigtime post TTK2.0.

    Yes, that is when I stopped playing BF1 and moved back to BFH and BF4

    Why would you move back to inferior games? Can't believe how many players got their pink little panties up in bunches about the TTK change and actually quit the game. You can't adapt to change? In RL, do you have a problem with change where deviations from the norm create anxiety?
    Once again... It isn't about being able to adapt or not, it's about the game being made worse for players that were already happily enjoying BF1 as it was and had been for 18 months.

    Anyway, DICE actually stated they were trying to make it 'more like BF4' so people moving back to BF4 is hardly a shocker.  It they change BF1 so the gunplay is more like BF4, why not play BF4 especially if you prefer the modern warfare.

    Don't get me wrong: I still greatly prefer BF1 to BF4 (and BF5) but TTK2 was unnecessary and, yeah, put a lot of people off enough to stop playing.
  • Ronin9572
    809 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    -Antares65z said:


    ps_865 wrote: »


    von_Campenstein wrote: »
    y_j_es_i said:

    Imo the TTKs at launch sucked but they’ve done a great job of tweaking them



    No, the game tanked bigtime post TTK2.0.



    Yes, that is when I stopped playing BF1 and moved back to BFH and BF4



    Why would you move back to inferior games? Can't believe how many players got their pink little panties up in bunches about the TTK change and actually quit the game. You can't adapt to change? In RL, do you have a problem with change where deviations from the norm create anxiety?

    Once again... It isn't about being able to adapt or not, it's about the game being made worse for players that were already happily enjoying BF1 as it was and had been for 18 months.

    Anyway, DICE actually stated they were trying to make it 'more like BF4' so people moving back to BF4 is hardly a shocker.  It they change BF1 so the gunplay is more like BF4, why not play BF4 especially if you prefer the modern warfare.

    Don't get me wrong: I still greatly prefer BF1 to BF4 (and BF5) but TTK2 was unnecessary and, yeah, put a lot of people off enough to stop playing.

    Exactly! It was a few ppl that wanted that update. A few that wanted it more like BF4, PC'ers(not hating on ya, but this is a typical problem with cross platform games), and some YT'ers. Sure I adapted, but I watched my PSN friends list dwindle by the day because so many didn't think the game needed TTK 2.0 more than a year after release.
  • ItsYourGirlWrex
    138 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    Unlike BFV, BF1 has the atmosphere of WW1 but every mechanic in BF1 is garbage. the soldier movement, the gunplay, the casual sweetspot non-sense, etc. 
  • giu_gana
    13 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    giu_gana said:


    Titan_Awaken wrote: »
    Ronin9572 said:





    giu_gana wrote: »

    I really think that this game is gonna be glorified in 5 years like bf3 is right now. The game has its flaws it would be stupid to say that heavy thanks and bombers are just too much for infantry to handle and that the granade spam gets ridiculous in chokepoints. Those things are gonna be forgotten as with every battlefield game before because either this community has alzheimeror there is a luod minority that just comes out to **** on the newer games glorifing the olders, not even trying to be objective







    I loved BF3, but it took awhile after BC2 to realize it. I wanted to love BF4, but all the issues it had even months after release really affected how I felt about the game. But now I can see why ppl live it, but I just can't go back and play it. I've played games on PC and PlayStation and I've always had a hard time comparing games between them all. Nowadays I really have been having a problem with new games that come out online, their just not the same anymore!



    Honestly, multiplayer gaming is in shambles. There's a whole plethora of problems like badly executed Live Service (looking at you BFV and Anthem), aggressive in-game monetisation (micro transactions), over saturation (look how watered down the CoD series is now), the whole Battle Royale hype train and et cetera.



    If I may make a suggestion, take a look at the singleplayer games released recently. There have been a slew of excellent SP games released over the past few years regardless of your preferred platform. Games like Spiderman PS4, God of War (2018), RDR2, Sekiro, Resident Evil 2: Remake, Devil May Cry 5 and Detroit: Become Human are all titles worthy of at least your attention. 



    Cheers.



    I mean yes but it' not related to the point of this discussion.

    The topic of this discussion at its core, is flawed.

    I really, genuinely do not understand what you mean when you say Battlefield 1 is "so disrespected" because it is clearly and almost universally accepted that it isn't. 

    At the time time of writing, it has an 89% positive review score for critics and 75% positive user review score on Metacritic. It's clear that the vast majority of fans and critics alike praise it for being so creative ESPECIALLY when considering the technological limitations during the First World War. Hell, even the shoddy reviewing sites like IGN and Polygon both gave it a 9/10. This isn't mentioning the numerous great independent reviewers out there who praised the game for its uniqueness.

    The WW2 gaming has been saturated to the point where almost all mainstream FPS franchises have done it at least once before (exceptions include Halo). WW1 up until BF1 hadn't really been done before especially not in such a streamlined and smooth way like BF1. No major developer or publisher was willing to take the risk of doing a WW1 FPS until DICE did. Former Vice President of EA Studios Patrick Soderlund was even quoted to say: "When the team presented the idea to me of World War 1, I absolutely rejected it ... it's trench warfare; it can't be fun to play."

    But DICE did it. And it they did it brilliantly with a clear, concise and dedicated vision ahead of them. The overwhelming majority of people praised it for its grandeur scale and unprecedented attention to the contemporary WW1 detail. The problem with Battlefield V was that it lacked the vision BF1 had and instead tried to please everybody but in the end pleased little to nobody.

    I really, really don't know where you got the notion that Battlefield 1 was "so disrespected" from because it bloody damn well isn't. There will always be a loud minority of people who will crap on a game just for the sake of being an edgy contrarian but that doesn't make the game worse off. 

    TL;DR Battlefield 1 isn't disrespected. I don't know where you got that from.

    edit: grammar.

    The disrespect comes from the bf community, not the general public. You can see it by this discussion: there are a lot of people that think this game is trash; i understand that opinion but i dont understand why that is. You can even look up to the server browser; it seems like there are more people playing bf3 on ps3 tha bf1 on ps4 (not even counting bf4 and its massive playerbase). I would just want to see this game receive more love thats all.
  • Ronin9572
    809 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    giu_gana said:


    The disrespect comes from the bf community, not the general public. You can see it by this discussion: there are a lot of people that think this game is trash; i understand that opinion but i dont understand why that is. You can even look up to the server browser; it seems like there are more people playing bf3 on ps3 tha bf1 on ps4 (not even counting bf4 and its massive playerbase). I would just want to see this game receive more love thats all.

    The old games still have good support because they had good private server programs.  It's a terrible shame the way gaming has moved now.  They don't want fans to be able to keep playing a game they love, they force you to move onto the new version so they can milk you.

    I guess if BF5 was better than BF1 I wouldn't mind.  But it's not.

    They keep trying to get ppl playing BFV. The home screen and start up have all the updates from BFV all over it. Even the BF1 general forum has a dev posting about BFV now. BFV is a long way off from me even thinking about it!
  • ItsYourGirlWrex
    138 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    Unlike BFV, BF1 has the atmosphere of WW1 but every mechanic in BF1 is garbage. the soldier movement, the gunplay, the casual sweetspot non-sense, etc. 
    The sweetspot is unnecessary, but at least it encourages the scout to get closer than sniping range.

    As for the other mechanics, how are they 'garbage'?  For me, they are the best of all BFs. The soldier movement has never been more solid but flexible - apart from the occasional getting stuck (and BF5 is worse for that and in BF4 you couldn't even step over a rock, so not better). The gunplay actually having some innate inaccuracy in the weapons adds realism and challenge and effective range rather than everything being tap-tap lasers.  What's garbage?
    I disagree, The sweetspot mechanic does not encourage snipers to play aggressively cause if I remember correctly, the shortest sweetspot started at 75 meters. In BF4, sniper rifles could kill in 1 shot to the chest within 5 meters (if the enemy wasn't using the defensive perk). in BFV it's way worse cause sniper rifles do 55ish damage up close.

    in regards to the movement system, it triggers me when I see youtubers like jackfrags blame BF4 when they get stuck on things, when in fact it's them who don't know how to jump over things properly. The secret to not get stuck on things is to leave half a meter or so between you and whatever you're trying to jump over (this made BF4 more realistic and it added a skillgap to the movement system) Now Every time I try to jump or vault over something in BF1 and BFV I get thrown straight into an animation, there is a lot of sweet maneuvers I can't do anymore because of this.

    In regards to the gunplay mechanics. In BF1 you can't kill a long range target with an assault rifle, this is unrealistic. In real life, an Assault rifle with a well-calibrated ironsight in hands of a pro can hit a target at range accurately. Having weapons limited to a certain ranges brings imbalance to the gunplay because every engagement is not fair. I should not be scared of a sniper just because I have an assault rifle. yes a sniper has more advantage at range but I should not be completely useless in this scenario. This is why BF1 gunplay is garbage. 

  • BFB-LeCharybdis
    746 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    Unlike BFV, BF1 has the atmosphere of WW1 but every mechanic in BF1 is garbage. the soldier movement, the gunplay, the casual sweetspot non-sense, etc. 
    The sweetspot is unnecessary, but at least it encourages the scout to get closer than sniping range.

    As for the other mechanics, how are they 'garbage'?  For me, they are the best of all BFs. The soldier movement has never been more solid but flexible - apart from the occasional getting stuck (and BF5 is worse for that and in BF4 you couldn't even step over a rock, so not better). The gunplay actually having some innate inaccuracy in the weapons adds realism and challenge and effective range rather than everything being tap-tap lasers.  What's garbage?
    I disagree, The sweetspot mechanic does not encourage snipers to play aggressively cause if I remember correctly, the shortest sweetspot started at 75 meters. In BF4, sniper rifles could kill in 1 shot to the chest within 5 meters (if the enemy wasn't using the defensive perk). in BFV it's way worse cause sniper rifles do 55ish damage up close.

    in regards to the movement system, it triggers me when I see youtubers like jackfrags blame BF4 when they get stuck on things, when in fact it's them who don't know how to jump over things properly. The secret to not get stuck on things is to leave half a meter or so between you and whatever you're trying to jump over (this made BF4 more realistic and it added a skillgap to the movement system) Now Every time I try to jump or vault over something in BF1 and BFV I get thrown straight into an animation, there is a lot of sweet maneuvers I can't do anymore because of this.

    In regards to the gunplay mechanics. In BF1 you can't kill a long range target with an assault rifle, this is unrealistic. In real life, an Assault rifle with a well-calibrated ironsight in hands of a pro can hit a target at range accurately. Having weapons limited to a certain ranges brings imbalance to the gunplay because every engagement is not fair. I should not be scared of a sniper just because I have an assault rifle. yes a sniper has more advantage at range but I should not be completely useless in this scenario. This is why BF1 gunplay is garbage. 

    It's completely subjective but for me the engagement ranges added to the brilliance of BF1. Depending on the gun, I had plan when to engage the enemy using map knowledge to the fullest, which in turn integrated well with objective play.
    BF1 maps with trenches and undulating terrain also played to this meta well. Fantastic game design. 

    Whereas in V everyone can hit any enemy at any distance with very little gun skill and has contributed too pronefield, which is perhaps more realistic, but is often quite boring to play at times.
  • Phasedin
    10 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Member
    edited June 5
    I have to put in my sentiment, because I've just purchased this game and played a couple hours. On ultra settings, the game looks like poop because of the awful texture streaming problem. It looks so bad I want a refund that I won't be able to get. I thought this would be fixed 3 yrs later but I guess Dice doesn't care at all about bf1. 

    I load up bf3/4 and it looks substantially better simply because of this texture issue. I honestly won't be playing it anymore, and this is a big disappointment as I love the WW1/2 era style games. 
  • giu_gana
    13 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    disposalist said:

    WrexTheQueen said:
    Unlike BFV, BF1 has the atmosphere of WW1 but every mechanic in BF1 is garbage. the soldier movement, the gunplay, the casual sweetspot non-sense, etc. 

    The sweetspot is unnecessary, but at least it encourages the scout to get closer than sniping range.

    As for the other mechanics, how are they 'garbage'?  For me, they are the best of all BFs. The soldier movement has never been more solid but flexible - apart from the occasional getting stuck (and BF5 is worse for that and in BF4 you couldn't even step over a rock, so not better). The gunplay actually having some innate inaccuracy in the weapons adds realism and challenge and effective range rather than everything being tap-tap lasers.  What's garbage?

    I disagree, The sweetspot mechanic does not encourage snipers to play aggressively cause if I remember correctly, the shortest sweetspot started at 75 meters. In BF4, sniper rifles could kill in 1 shot to the chest within 5 meters (if the enemy wasn't using the defensive perk). in BFV it's way worse cause sniper rifles do 55ish damage up close.

    in regards to the movement system, it triggers me when I see youtubers like jackfrags blame BF4 when they get stuck on things, when in fact it's them who don't know how to jump over things properly. The secret to not get stuck on things is to leave half a meter or so between you and whatever you're trying to jump over (this made BF4 more realistic and it added a skillgap to the movement system) Now Every time I try to jump or vault over something in BF1 and BFV I get thrown straight into an animation, there is a lot of sweet maneuvers I can't do anymore because of this.

    In regards to the gunplay mechanics. In BF1 you can't kill a long range target with an assault rifle, this is unrealistic. In real life, an Assault rifle with a well-calibrated ironsight in hands of a pro can hit a target at range accurately. Having weapons limited to a certain ranges brings imbalance to the gunplay because every engagement is not fair. I should not be scared of a sniper just because I have an assault rifle. yes a sniper has more advantage at range but I should not be completely useless in this scenario. This is why BF1 gunplay is garbage. 
    Following this logic you should be angry any time you find a tank as the medic class because you do not have the tools to deal with it. If you are pissed by snipers take the medic class in bf1 and the rsc or any 5 scoped rifle. Your comment is another testament to how imbalanced the bf3/4 class balance really was. At one point everyone accepted that the assault class was the best at every close to medium range gunfight. Everyone was playing engineer in conquest and the other classes were just meh. Bf1 changed that in a more interesting way and what does it get? Just hate
  • boutneus
    2454 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    Bf1>bf3. Don’t know bf4 because the launch was abysmal and a game that launches like that out of the gate, I don’t bother waiting till it’s finally hailed as the new coming of Christ at the end of its lifecycle.
    thing I hate most about bf3 is introducing the garbage suppression system to the series. I’d rather have each gun having more recoil, overheating, spread etc then some random ‘oh somebody is shooting in my direction, now my guns suck’
  • xeNizKing
    349 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    It's the best BF.  People who can't let go of their pet version or like to pretend they are eSports pros and think it is 'too casual' give it a hard time.
    The funny thing about this is that - BFV is actually just as casual if not more so. Flying has never been more noob friendly, tanks have never been more noob friendly. Even BF4/3 vehicles barring the AA requiring some level of skill but in BFV they require none, assaults are bloated as well to counter that but that then makes tanks irrelevant and assault incredibly overpowered and easy to use. Prone MMGs are easy mode mow downs and recons are getting out-sniped by 3x semi auto assault weapons and medics are just spray lords now. 

    People call BF1 casual. But they dont realise just how much hard BF1 was to do well in by comparison. Yeah BF1 planes had a lot of splash damage on infantry but in terms of actual piloting as well it was much harder to survive in the sky than it is in BF1.
  • ronybaloney
    267 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    giu_gana said:


    The disrespect comes from the bf community, not the general public. You can see it by this discussion: there are a lot of people that think this game is trash; i understand that opinion but i dont understand why that is. You can even look up to the server browser; it seems like there are more people playing bf3 on ps3 tha bf1 on ps4 (not even counting bf4 and its massive playerbase). I would just want to see this game receive more love thats all.

    The old games still have good support because they had good private server programs.  It's a terrible shame the way gaming has moved now.  They don't want fans to be able to keep playing a game they love, they force you to move onto the new version so they can milk you.

    Snip...

    Exactly they move you on so they can milk you. But they are actually missing out on opportunities to make good revenue by milking an older and beloved title like BF1. Program more maps from time to time and charge for them. Keep updates coming and charge for them. Heck it would even be really exciting if they just rolled back ttk 2.0 just to give us a nice change for awhile. Charge us for it somehow. Make it MUCH easier to seed private servers, etc. You could keep the old game vibrant and viable with just a few dedicated programming resources. Many players would gladly pay for more content to an older but wonderful game like BF1.

    The marketing model does not have to completely abandon the old game to make lotsa money. Especially when the new replacement game is as inadequate as BF5 is.

    Preach it brother.


  • RossP317
    201 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member


    Preach it brother.

    Amen.

    I'd gladly pay more even at this stage. Even just for some more assignments and things like that to keep me interested never mind new maps.
  • giu_gana
    13 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    RossP317 wrote: »


    Preach it brother.

    Amen.

    I'd gladly pay more even at this stage. Even just for some more assignments and things like that to keep me interested never mind new maps.

    Don' t give these hints to the developers. Remember it' s an EA game so we could expect anything
  • Phasedin
    10 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Member
    edited June 9
    So as BF usually does to me, I've the itch to play again so I'll be giving BF1 another chance. But here are some things that are still disappointing while trying to play.

    -The game still stutters. I guess I'll deal with it but this should have been fixed long ago.

    -I've tweaked the game to look better, but the texture streaming issue is still there and some maps like Rupture look really really bad. Most of the hillsides are very low res (and completely flat) and only fully load in when I'm within a few meters. Some maps are better than others. The game would look beautiful if the textures loaded in, but with the way it currently works it's pretty terrible. Will this ever be fixed? At this point in the game's life I think I know the answer to that.

    -Favorites don't save, or are gone the next time I load the game. How has this not been fixed? If I find a nice server I want to be able to fav it.

    I want to be able to get into this game, but these main issues are really dampening the fun. 
  • -Antares65z
    1617 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    edited June 9
    I think most of the issues on your end. Not with the game. Looks fine to me, servers save on my Favorites. Specs on your rig and game settings?
Sign In or Register to comment.