Weekly Debrief

Which one is it?: "I can't see anyone in BF V!!" or "Spotting was easy-mode, glad it is gone."

Comments

• Jezzzeh
    753 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Astr0damus wrote: »
    Jezzzeh said:

DJTN1 wrote: »
    I've seen teammates (not on my squad) shoot up a flare over an objective, full of enemies and nothing gets spotted on my screen. Is the flare spotting limited to your squad? Or maybe it's a network related issue? Or a bug?

Possibly. But more likely is that the flare got shot down. Snipers and assault semi autos are particularly effective at this. I've very much gotten into the habit of destroying them if I'm safe to do so.

^Yes. As seen @ 4:15 point in this video.

Indeed. One point I'll add to this also. You cant shoot friendly flares so theres no worry about that if people want to try helping in this way.
  • DJTN1
    306 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Didn't even know you could shoot them down. That's awesome actually.

Thanks for the info guys. 👍
  • Jezzzeh
    753 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    It's all part of the strike and counter strike effort that DICE has made here for BFV I guess. It's a nice touch to have flares to use but also nice to be able to counter them if you are switched on and kill them.
  • Hawxxeye
    5611 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Jezzzeh said:
    It's all part of the strike and counter strike effort that DICE has made here for BFV I guess. It's a nice touch to have flares to use but also nice to be able to counter them if you are switched on and kill them.
    I still feel the recon should start with 2 flares and or have max 3 even if only 2 can be up at any time. They last too little time and they can still be shot down
  • parkingbrake
    3202 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Seems like you hear a lot of people say they are glad being able to spot enemies is gone because it was "easy mode". Yet we also hear (on these forums) that it is almost impossible to see enemies on BF V maps. I think DICE attempted to fix that issue, but wasn't spotting better?
    Someone (JFrags) did a video where he laid down on Devastation and watched (without engaging the enemy) while enemy players ran right past him without seeing him. This wouldn't be such an issue if spotting were brought back.

===
    Note: I know in a perfect world, everyone would wear a headset and communicate with voice (ie: "there is a scout/recon on top of the shed at Flag C") but we know this isn't the case, and with console, comms are limited to your squad only, whereas on PC, one can communicate via text, to the whole TEAM (I think even enemies can see everything typed). Plus, on console, the time it would take to type something would be useless. This is why spotting, in my opinion, is necessary in future BF games.
    ---
    What are your thoughts on these conflicting ideas? "I can't see anyone in BF V!!" or "Spotting was easy-mode, glad it's gone."
    I don't find visibility an issue, at least not an issue that I can't adapt to.  That players can blend into rubble or whatever in some situations is just part of this game, and I don't need every BF title to be exactly the same as previous titles.  One reason I use the 3x scope on many weapons is I can use it like a spotting scope to check out an area before I move it, and I sure see a lot of guys trying not to be seen that way.

That popping noise you keep hearing, that's Recons sending up spotting flares, works great.  If your team isn't doing that, is that a problem with the game, or with your team?

The idea of being able to just look around spamming the Q key (or whatever the console equivalent is) and seeing opponents you otherwise would not have seen is indeed as EZ-Mode as it gets.  I'm glad they did away with that, but then I played PUBG for a year before BFV came out so I was used to having to use my eyes rather than having glowing doritos all over the map.
  • parkingbrake
    3202 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    iamwiener said:
    I honestly NEVER had a visibility issue on BF5. When I get killed by someone prone in corners or bushes, its because my reactions are too slow and not because I couldn't see the player. Makes me wonder if a lot of ppl don't know how to set up their screens or the majority of ppl complaining about visibility are actually console players using TV instead of decent (gaming) monitors.
    Anyway, the reason I played hc in all previous BF was 3d spotting in normal mode (not any modified damage/health values). I'm very glad it's been removed from normal mode and I believe it's a decent compromise for normal and hc players.
    Indeed, people sitting on couches ten feet from a laggy TV might want 3D spotting back, but I have a 144Hz monitor forty inches in front of me, and I don't have problems with the visibility in this game.  But as always, the lowest common denominator will probably win out in the end, and EA will tell DICE to put the glowing doritos back on everyone so the run n' gunners with the controllers don't have to slow down and use their eyes.
  • Turban_Legend80
    4601 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Member
    iamwiener said:
    I honestly NEVER had a visibility issue on BF5. When I get killed by someone prone in corners or bushes, its because my reactions are too slow and not because I couldn't see the player. Makes me wonder if a lot of ppl don't know how to set up their screens or the majority of ppl complaining about visibility are actually console players using TV instead of decent (gaming) monitors.Anyway, the reason I played hc in all previous BF was 3d spotting in normal mode (not any modified damage/health values). I'm very glad it's been removed from normal mode and I believe it's a decent compromise for normal and hc players.

Indeed, people sitting on couches ten feet from a laggy TV might want 3D spotting back, but I have a 144Hz monitor forty inches in front of me, and I don't have problems with the visibility in this game.  But as always, the lowest common denominator will probably win out in the end, and EA will tell DICE to put the glowing doritos back on everyone so the run n' gunners with the controllers don't have to slow down and use their eyes.

The lowest common denominator is the platform with the least amount of players.
    Cry all you want, but it makes no sense to design a game for the lowest common denominator.
    (PC)
  • RayVonUK
    60 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Yea the lowest common denominator is snipers on consoles and they have already won, its hard to see them most of the time and it was a lot better with 3d spotting, just another key element of game play that was removed, but hey we got to build some crappy walls instead eh
  • lll_HOSS_lll
    53 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member

Spotting was easy-mode, glad it is gone!

• parkingbrake
    RayVonUK said:
    Yea the lowest common denominator is snipers on consoles and they have already won, its hard to see them most of the time and it was a lot better with 3d spotting, just another key element of game play that was removed, but hey we got to build some crappy walls instead eh
    So your team has no snipers, or they don't have spotting flares for some reason, is that how it is?  Oh, your team does have snipers, and they can equip spotting flares..., so what exactly is the problem again?
  • CPTN-Cr4ptastic
    1703 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    Thank GOD easy mode spotting is gone.... And hopefully for good!
  • disposalist
    8616 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    RayVonUK said:
    So your team has no snipers, or they don't have spotting flares for some reason, is that how it is?  Oh, your team does have snipers, and they can equip spotting flares..., so what exactly is the problem again?
    The problem is they *can* equip flares, but they don't.  And snipers are camping too far back to use them anyway.  And flares are crap anyway.
  • parkingbrake
    iamwiener said:
    I honestly NEVER had a visibility issue on BF5. When I get killed by someone prone in corners or bushes, its because my reactions are too slow and not because I couldn't see the player. Makes me wonder if a lot of ppl don't know how to set up their screens or the majority of ppl complaining about visibility are actually console players using TV instead of decent (gaming) monitors.Anyway, the reason I played hc in all previous BF was 3d spotting in normal mode (not any modified damage/health values). I'm very glad it's been removed from normal mode and I believe it's a decent compromise for normal and hc players.

Cry all you want, but it makes no sense to design a game for the lowest common denominator.
    (PC)
    You don't seem to understand what that term means.  For our purposes here it means in the long run the least capable platform (consoles) is going to determine how a game is designed precisely because it is now more popular than PC, thus "lowest" from technical capability, not popularity.  It's sort of like how McDonalds designs menu items, they're concerned with how many people will pay money for a McRib sandwich, not whether anyone who values good food would eat such a disgusting mess.  So yeah, quantity over quality, it's EA's new business model.  Congratulations on being part of the fast-food segment of online gaming.
  • TFBisquit
    1648 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Well, the q spamming was too much, yeah, but becoming visible on the radar briefly, when you are spotted, or fired a round, wasn't bad at all. It made you more cautious if you wanted to stay under the radar.
    As it stands now, it's the complete opposite.
    And while I can see plenty on my screen, I often find myself moving towards it, straining my eyes, and feeling slightly nervous.
    A middle ground would be nice, no Doritos but more frequently visible on the minimap.
    Recon flares don't work either, they last too short, and only tells you where the enemies are for a couple of seconds. With everybody chasing each other like dogs chasing sheep, the dots are gone by the time you get there, and your team already knew they were there.
  • oGLo17
    25 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
  • Astr0damus
    2901 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    iamwiener said:

(PC)
    You don't seem to understand what that term means.  For our purposes here it means in the long run the least capable platform (consoles) is going to determine how a game is designed precisely because it is now more popular than PC, thus "lowest" from technical capability, not popularity.  It's sort of like how McDonalds designs menu items, they're concerned with how many people will pay money for a McRib sandwich, not whether anyone who values good food would eat such a disgusting mess.  So yeah, quantity over quality, it's EA's new business model.  Congratulations on being part of the fast-food segment of online gaming.
    ==============
    IT'S BAA-AACK!
    ==============

• oGLo17
    25 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
  • Turban_Legend80
    4601 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Member
    edited June 12
    Turban_Legend80 said:

parkingbrake wrote: »
    iamwiener said:

(PC)

Lol I knew exactly what you meant. Congratulations on not biting this time 🙂

Going back to your post I first replied to, do you think it was easier to see enemies on PC on Bf1 and BF4 than it is to see them on PC on BFV? (When the enemies were not spotted in BF1 or BF4).