Why is BF1 so desrespected?

124»

Comments

• Phasedin
    9 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Member
    edited June 9
    I think most of the issues on your end. Not with the game. Looks fine to me, servers save on my Favorites. Specs on your rig and game settings?
    I think the stutter is probably because I have somewhat old hardware (3570k OC'd to 4.3 and 1070 with 24gb ram) but that doesn't bother me too much. But BF1 is the only game I have that has consistent stutter. And I can usually find the same servers in the server list if the fav gets removed so that's not a deal breaker, just annoying. 

The biggest issue for me is the texture streaming/pop-in. Dice acknowledged this issue long ago when it came as a result of one of the patches, but it's been a really long time since then so I know it won't be fixed. Some maps are better than others, but hillsides in really low res that pop in as I get very close happens no matter what my game settings are. It's unfortunately something I'll just have to try to ignore, even though it's in my face constantly while playing. 
  • von_Campenstein
    6499 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    edited June 10
    Unlike BFV, BF1 has the atmosphere of WW1 but every mechanic in BF1 is garbage. the soldier movement, the gunplay, the casual sweetspot non-sense, etc. 
    The sweetspot is unnecessary, but at least it encourages the scout to get closer than sniping range.

As for the other mechanics, how are they 'garbage'?  For me, they are the best of all BFs. The soldier movement has never been more solid but flexible - apart from the occasional getting stuck (and BF5 is worse for that and in BF4 you couldn't even step over a rock, so not better). The gunplay actually having some innate inaccuracy in the weapons adds realism and challenge and effective range rather than everything being tap-tap lasers.  What's garbage?
    I disagree, The sweetspot mechanic does not encourage snipers to play aggressively cause if I remember correctly, the shortest sweetspot started at 75 meters. In BF4, sniper rifles could kill in 1 shot to the chest within 5 meters (if the enemy wasn't using the defensive perk). in BFV it's way worse cause sniper rifles do 55ish damage up close.

in regards to the movement system, it triggers me when I see youtubers like jackfrags blame BF4 when they get stuck on things, when in fact it's them who don't know how to jump over things properly. The secret to not get stuck on things is to leave half a meter or so between you and whatever you're trying to jump over (this made BF4 more realistic and it added a skillgap to the movement system) Now Every time I try to jump or vault over something in BF1 and BFV I get thrown straight into an animation, there is a lot of sweet maneuvers I can't do anymore because of this.

In regards to the gunplay mechanics. In BF1 you can't kill a long range target with an assault rifle, this is unrealistic. In real life, an Assault rifle with a well-calibrated ironsight in hands of a pro can hit a target at range accurately. Having weapons limited to a certain ranges brings imbalance to the gunplay because every engagement is not fair. I should not be scared of a sniper just because I have an assault rifle. yes a sniper has more advantage at range but I should not be completely useless in this scenario. This is why BF1 gunplay is garbage. 

In real life the assault rifle had not been invented at the time of WW1, you should be wary of bolt action rifles with range since you're running around with bullet hose SMGs, not assault rifles, suited for close quarters exclusively. Even the modern SMGs still only have an effective range of 100 meters.
  • Phasedin
    edited June 10
    This is what Rupture looks like for me. Frames are bad since I'm recording, but this texture issue sucks to play with.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWJbHbDq1fg&feature=youtu.be

If there is an actual user-end fix for this I'm all ears.
    Post edited by Phasedin on
  • giu_gana
    12 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    Phasedin wrote: »
    This is what Rupture looks like for me. Frames are bad since I'm recording, but this texture issue sucks to play with.

See we console players don t have this problem... i hope
  • Phasedin
    Just wanted to give an update if anyone else is struggling with performance issues on an older cpu (mine is an OC'd 3570k). I'm sure it's been posted before but maybe it could help someone nonetheless.

The stutter I was experiencing was from 100% cpu usage, so I made a user config that limited a few things. In it I put:

RenderDevice.RenderAheadLimit 2
    gametime.maxvariablefps 70
    perfoverlay.drawfps 1

The stutter has all but stopped, as the cpu usage is now down. Even though I won't get 130fps like I was getting most of the time, consistent smooth gameplay is much better. The last line is just so I can see my fps in-game. The texture streaming issue is still there but I'll get over that.
  • Forkbeard84
    1525 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Just wanted to give an update if anyone else is struggling with performance issues on an older cpu (mine is an OC'd 3570k). I'm sure it's been posted before but maybe it could help someone nonetheless.

The stutter I was experiencing was from 100% cpu usage, so I made a user config that limited a few things. In it I put:

perfoverlay.drawfps 1

The stutter has all but stopped, as the cpu usage is now down. Even though I won't get 130fps like I was getting most of the time, consistent smooth gameplay is much better. The last line is just so I can see my fps in-game. The texture streaming issue is still there but I'll get over that.

Glad you figured out your pc problem. That seems like a lot of work to me. I’ll just keep it simple and easy with my console.
  • Ronin9572
    771 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member

perfoverlay.drawfps 1

Glad you figured out your pc problem. That seems like a lot of work to me. I’ll just keep it simple and easy with my console.

That was another reason I went back to console. Got tired of the hackers/cheaters, having to upgrade components every few months and constantly having to make adjustments to my settings for every game I play. Sure console don't have the amazing graphics that PC does and the amount of games, but the simplicity and player retention are better to me.
  • normzzzzzy
    93 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    So as BF usually does to me, I've the itch to play again so I'll be giving BF1 another chance. But here are some things that are still disappointing while trying to play.

-The game still stutters. I guess I'll deal with it but this should have been fixed long ago.

-I've tweaked the game to look better, but the texture streaming issue is still there and some maps like Rupture look really really bad. Most of the hillsides are very low res (and completely flat) and only fully load in when I'm within a few meters. Some maps are better than others. The game would look beautiful if the textures loaded in, but with the way it currently works it's pretty terrible. Will this ever be fixed? At this point in the game's life I think I know the answer to that.

-Favorites don't save, or are gone the next time I load the game. How has this not been fixed? If I find a nice server I want to be able to fav it.

I want to be able to get into this game, but these main issues are really dampening the fun. 

Bf1 is still solid in my opinion. I’ll still happily jump on and murder people with the parabellum. Yeah it’s got it’s issues but I wouldn’t call it game breaking. That being said I can’t think of a battlefield game that hasn’t had any issues in all fairness.

• Phasedin
    normzzzzzy wrote: »
    So as BF usually does to me, I've the itch to play again so I'll be giving BF1 another chance. But here are some things that are still disappointing while trying to play.

-The game still stutters. I guess I'll deal with it but this should have been fixed long ago.

-I've tweaked the game to look better, but the texture streaming issue is still there and some maps like Rupture look really really bad. Most of the hillsides are very low res (and completely flat) and only fully load in when I'm within a few meters. Some maps are better than others. The game would look beautiful if the textures loaded in, but with the way it currently works it's pretty terrible. Will this ever be fixed? At this point in the game's life I think I know the answer to that.

-Favorites don't save, or are gone the next time I load the game. How has this not been fixed? If I find a nice server I want to be able to fav it.

I want to be able to get into this game, but these main issues are really dampening the fun. 

Bf1 is still solid in my opinion. I’ll still happily jump on and murder people with the parabellum. Yeah it’s got it’s issues but I wouldn’t call it game breaking. That being said I can’t think of a battlefield game that hasn’t had any issues in all fairness.

It's def solid, which is the main reason I wanted it to run well. Just want to enjoy it! I just can't go back to console for shooters anymore. I'm too fond of m&k now.
  • -Antares65z
    1573 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    edited June 13

It's def solid, which is the main reason I wanted it to run well. Just want to enjoy it! I just can't go back to console for shooters anymore. I'm too fond of m&k now.

Good chance you'll have native M/K support on the next gen consoles and BF 2020 game. I'd put my money on it. Cheating has ruined this series on PC and will only continue to get worse. I'd guess one more BF PC release in 2020 but after that the PC platform will be abandoned by EA.
    Post edited by -Antares65z on