Dice -- bring In a Ping Player Cap To Stop Player Bleed

Up2you2011
77 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
Unless Dice do something about the High Ping Players on the servers they will not stop the declining player bleed on the server population.
Even having players with x2 your ping... We all know low ping players Under 30ms get punished when coming up against players with high ping and due to the issues with the netcode this is magnified even further.

European servers should have European players local to the AWS for that region, We are currently seeing people from all other the world playing on the DE Servers 
(I have seen Brazil and South Africa) and players with High Pings over 100ms and even seen 500ms
This kills the game and Hitreg goes out the window.

The release of the new maps will give a temporary spike to the player numbers and then people will get frustrated again and loose more people.

Its a tough pill for Dice to swallow but better to force the high ping players to play in the regions and force Dice to introduce more local servers to cater for this, than loosing more players long term.

If you do nothing you will kill the game ... !1

Comments

• Up2you2011
    77 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Yes true.....but good to get this feature in as a "core" feature of the game... 
  • sabootheshaman
    1043 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Astr0damus wrote: »
    Scenario:==I am a jr scientist stationed in Antarctica. I have read all the books in the library here and life has become especially boring. I have scoured the local outpost shoppe and all they have is dehydrated sardines and long-john underwear. I can't find Battlefield anywhere, except eb4y. So I buy it used for 15 Euros.When the plane lands every 6 months, they bring our mail, and I just received BF V that I ordered several months ago, along with nutella and lebniz butter cookies. I am excited to play BF V so I don't even open my nutella, but rather I pop the disc in my XBOXONE and wait as it updates (first I have to download all the necessary updates, then wait again while they are installed) 2 hours later I am ready to play multiplayer! (so this gives me time to open my nutella and lebniz.
    So what should I do? Now that the game is ready, which region should I join? (my internet is very crappy here)
    PS: please send wool socks.Thank you.

This is a ridiculous hypothetical. You like anyone else can deal with what is a life choice. When I travel I just don’t game. I missed the first 6-12 months of BF1 due to travel for work. That’s my choice and my problem.

Suck it up Princess is what I say. Stop whinging about a first world problem.
  • JUJAMAKILL
    329 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    hmm.. I dunno. Last night I had some connection issues with my ISP. Normally I have 27ms on PS4 Oceanic and gameplay is generally great (aside from the recent server side netcode issues). But last night I had a ping ranging between 140-210ms. All yellow connection bars, and all 3 symbols permanently up on the right side of my screen. I could not hit the broadside of a barn if I stood in front of it. If I did actually manage to kill someone I had no idea I had, as there was a  full 1 second delay from when I fired the kill shot to when I received any notification sound/graphic. Because of this I had to keep continually pumping bullets out, as even though I knew it only takes 3 BTK, I would have to fire 5 or 6 until I got the confirmation as my hit registration wasn't syncing up.

Tried a few different weapons, STG, Commando Carbine, KAR98K, Tommy gun, Turner SMLE... Trying to increase the amount of lead whilst sniping was virtually impossible. Just watching the way people moved screen was jerky and made it difficult to track players. I also had people suddenly appearing on screen 5ft in front of me, hosing me down before I knew what was happening and killing me before I had any time to realize someone was there. They just 'materialized' lol

I persevered for 20mins or so before I logged off for the night.  I often see the claim that high ping players have an advantage in game but from my perspective there was absolutely NO advantage what so ever. Perhaps this is magnified by the terrible netcode which has recently been introduced. It may also be different on PC. But for me it was frustratingly atrocious....
  • KPNuts74
    497 postsMember, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Up2you2011 wrote: »
    Unless Dice do something about the High Ping Players on the servers they will not stop the declining player bleed on the server population.
    Even having players with x2 your ping... We all know low ping players Under 30ms get punished when coming up against players with high ping and due to the issues with the netcode this is magnified even further.

European servers should have European players local to the AWS for that region, We are currently seeing people from all other the world playing on the DE Servers 
    (I have seen Brazil and South Africa) and players with High Pings over 100ms and even seen 500ms
    This kills the game and Hitreg goes out the window.

The release of the new maps will give a temporary spike to the player numbers and then people will get frustrated again and loose more people.

Its a tough pill for Dice to swallow but better to force the high ping players to play in the regions and force Dice to introduce more local servers to cater for this, than loosing more players long term.

If you do nothing you will kill the game ... !1

I think something sensible like banning players with 150+ pings would be good.
  • ninjapenquinuk
    1811 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    edited June 14
    Scenario:==I am a jr scientist stationed in Antarctica. I have read all the books in the library here and life has become especially boring. I have scoured the local outpost shoppe and all they have is dehydrated sardines and long-john underwear. I can't find Battlefield anywhere, except eb4y. So I buy it used for 15 Euros.When the plane lands every 6 months, they bring our mail, and I just received BF V that I ordered several months ago, along with nutella and lebniz butter cookies. I am excited to play BF V so I don't even open my nutella, but rather I pop the disc in my XBOXONE and wait as it updates (first I have to download all the necessary updates, then wait again while they are installed) 2 hours later I am ready to play multiplayer! (so this gives me time to open my nutella and lebniz.
    So what should I do? Now that the game is ready, which region should I join? (my internet is very crappy here)

This is a ridiculous hypothetical. You like anyone else can deal with what is a life choice. When I travel I just don’t game. I missed the first 6-12 months of BF1 due to travel for work. That’s my choice and my problem.

Whilst the Antarctic scenario is a little silly, the point still stands.  If DICE sell an online multiplayer all around the world then they have to allow access to the muliplayer all over the world.  In an ideal world EA would have plenty of servers in every region for every mode, but we know EA are skin flints so this doesnt happen.  But the guy who buys BFV in a region with few if any close servers still has a right to play the game, therefore if there are no available 'local' servers, they have to be allowed to play on one somewhere.  Now if EA had plenty of servers serving everyone, then you could quite legit stop US players deliberately choosing to playon EU servers for instance (or vice versa).  Until then, EA would get in hot water for effectively selling a dud game to players if they couldnt access multiplayer due to a ping cap.
  • sabootheshaman
    1043 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    sabootheshaman said:

Whilst the Antarctic scenario is a little silly, the point still stands.  If DICE sell an online multiplayer all around the world then they have to allow access to the muliplayer all over the world.  In an ideal world EA would have plenty of servers in every region for every mode, but we know EA are skin flints so this doesnt happen.  But the guy who buys BFV in a region with few if any close servers still has a right to play the game, therefore if there are no available 'local' servers, they have to be allowed to play on one somewhere.  Now if EA had plenty of servers serving everyone, then you could quite legit stop US players deliberately choosing to playon EU servers for instance (or vice versa).  Until then, EA would get in hot water for effectively selling a dud game to players if they couldnt access multiplayer due to a ping cap.

I’m sorry but you’re wrong. They only sell it in regions they service. We get the rough end of the stick here in Aus already so I understand this pretty damn well and the arguments yourself and Astr0 are putting forward are bunk and a distraction from the real issues.
  • NLBartmaN
    3192 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    It is all about the money ... 

The millions given to a manager that made huge mistakes and almost killed the game with some stupid remarks could have been used to add and run some servers where needed ...

I miss the good old gaming days where we could run our own server on every possible location if we needed one.

Private games will still be limited to AWS locations and there are just too few aroundthe world (and they don't seem fit for/capable of running responsive gaming servers)
  • sabootheshaman
    NLBartmaN wrote: »
    It is all about the money ... 

The millions given to a manager that made huge mistakes and almost killed the game with some stupid remarks could have been used to add and run some servers where needed ...

I miss the good old gaming days where we could run our own server on every possible location if we needed one.

Private games will still be limited to AWS locations and there are just too few aroundthe world (and they don't seem fit for/capable of running responsive gaming servers)

Don’t get me wrong. I agree with most of what you say.

Too few AWS locations though? AWS are ball bags of the highest order but I think they have enough coverage. I think it’s more to do with how EA are prioritising the spending.
  • grrlpurple
    799 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    I have often seen players with a ping of 999 on EU servers, how is that even possible unless they are on dial up or playing from the moon.

I have already gone from playing every day to just once a week Becuase off the oor players causing catastrophic hitreg and instadeath issues.
  • ninjapenquinuk
    1811 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    sabootheshaman said:

I’m sorry but you’re wrong. They only sell it in regions they service. We get the rough end of the stick here in Aus already so I understand this pretty damn well and the arguments yourself and Astr0 are putting forward are bunk and a distraction from the real issues.
    what are you on about. So you Aus players would be happy if because you cant join a local server you would be stopped from joining another further away because you are over the ping limit?  I'm all for a ping limit, but im in the UK so even with no UK servers I'm fine.  
  • sabootheshaman
    sabootheshaman said:

ninjapenquinuk wrote: »
    sabootheshaman said:

what are you on about. So you Aus players would be happy if because you cant join a local server you would be stopped from joining another further away because you are over the ping limit?  I'm all for a ping limit, but im in the UK so even with no UK servers I'm fine.  

I’m saying the examples are inane and completely ridiculous.

If EA attempted to make us play on servers with a ping over 100 they’d likely get put in front of the ACCC here in Aus for misrepresenting a product.

I think the ping limit is a good idea and I want it applied. Your support and pushing of a ridiculous hypotheticals is what I have issue with. It’s a distraction from real issues and the topic.
  • NLBartmaN
    Don’t get me wrong. I agree with most of what you say.

Too few AWS locations though? AWS are ball bags of the highest order but I think they have enough coverage. I think it’s more to do with how EA are prioritising the spending.
    Nope: https://aws.amazon.com/about-aws/global-infrastructure/

There are no servers in North Africa and North Asia.

Those players are on the EU servers and a big part of the reason things are bad.

When the UK servers were still around those "OOR" players were split up over the 2 EU locations, now they are all on the Frankfurt German servers and killing them.
  • sabootheshaman
    So what’s the ping to the closest centres for the ones you list?

Is the game officially distributed and supported in these regions?
  • NLBartmaN

As you see on the map, they are building Milan, Bahrain and Cape town for those players.

For now they could place those players on Mumbai servers or use some other provider with coverage over there, so not AWS.

Or make Region splits/ping limits within BF V for those players, so a part of the EU servers is used for them, but they can't connect to servers with actual EU citizens.
  • sabootheshaman
    NLBartmaN wrote: »
    sabootheshaman said:

As you see on the map, they are building Milan, Bahrain and Cape town for those players.

For now they could place those players on Mumbai servers or use some other provider with coverage over there, so not AWS.

Or make Region splits/ping limits within BF V for those players, so a part of the EU servers is used for them, but they can't connect to servers with actual EU citizens.

Yeah. It’s still pretty messy. You also have the issues of those in more rural regions. It’s diminishing returns though.

I’m lucky I live in a major capital and have fibre. It is however frustrating to experience the strangeness of the 180 ping influx we seem to get from mainland China. And that seems to be players either cheating or fleeing rampant cheating.

My personal experience is games are unplayable for me above 80 ping. So in my mind the cut should lay around 130.
  • ninjapenquinuk
    sabootheshaman said:

ninjapenquinuk wrote: »
    sabootheshaman said:

I’m saying the examples are inane and completely ridiculous.

If EA attempted to make us play on servers with a ping over 100 they’d likely get put in front of the ACCC here in Aus for misrepresenting a product.

I think the ping limit is a good idea and I want it applied. Your support and pushing of a ridiculous hypotheticals is what I have issue with. It’s a distraction from real issues and the topic.
    Mate, you need to chill and read slowly before blowing your top. The Antarctic scenario my have been odd, but other than that we are on the same page.
  • BFB-LeCharybdis
    790 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    DukeSan27 said:
    Preventing players from playing prevents player bleed. Yeah, sure.
    If I go into a game that's performing horribly because four players are above 120 ping then I bail for a better server. So yeah, sure.