Weekly Debrief

Win %

Niila138
46 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
edited April 3
So my win % is 51.something (more than 50%). That sounds like a good thing, but stats say that it’s top 100% meaning that even as I have won more than half the games I played, almost everyone has won more often. This ofcourse is bizarre. It can only mean that almost everyone is a team quitter since it is impossible that more than 50% of people win more often than 50% of the time if everyone finishes the games.

Comments

• Niila138
    46 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Wrong forum sorry
  • Ronin9572
    914 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    Niila138 wrote: »
    Nobody but you cares about your stats. Invest your energy into worrying about more important things in your life. 
    Firstly, as I said, this was the wrong forum. It was supposed to go under BFV.

Secondly, I was more worried about what seemed like a team quitting issue, but turned out to be a bug in the stats actually.

Thridly, I do not believe you for one second when you say that ”nobody but me cares about their stats”. There are sites with stats and leaderboards etc and there are multiple topics about scroe per minute, K/D, what are good stats and so on on these forums.

Don't worry about this person. They are a negative Nelly just posting the same negative things on everyone's threads. Just another no life troll!
  • Abakedpotatoo
    1 postsMember, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    Niila138 wrote: »
    So my win % is 51.something (more than 50%). That sounds like a good thing, but stats say that it’s top 100% meaning that even as I have won more than half the games I played, almost everyone has won more often. This ofcourse is bizarre. It can only mean that almost everyone is a team quitter since it is impossible that more than 50% of people win more often than 50% of the time if everyone finishes the games.

Dont know I've never checked
  • WetFishDB
    1989 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Niila138 said:
    The fact it's showing top 100% is probably just a bug and it's just not calculating.  

A 51% win rate isn't that good.  It basically means you don't make much difference to the outcome of the match.  Its > 50%, so it's not necessarily bad either, but it implies you are net neutral in the outcome of the match IF 50% is average.   But that's IF the average is 50%. 

It's worth remembering that how win rate gets calculated makes it more complex.  50% isn't necessarily average.  Sometimes quits don't contribute as a loss.  And either way, as a match ends if there are uneven players on each side, say 30 on the winners and 20 on the losers, that's effectively a 60% average win rate.  And more often that not the team with more players will win, so there won't be many games with 30 on the losers and 20 on the winners to balance that out.  I don't know what the real average is, but it will almost certainly be >50%.

I also expect the distribution isn't normal, it's probably leptokurtic and skewed, so depending on where you sit against the real average I strongly suspect that a 50% win rate may well be something like top 70-80% of players etc.   That's just a blind guess, as I have no access to the data though.
  • Forkbeard84
    1611 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    WetFishDB wrote: »
    Niila138 said:

The fact it's showing top 100% is probably just a bug and it's just not calculating.  

A 51% win rate isn't that good.  It basically means you don't make much difference to the outcome of the match.  Its > 50%, so it's not necessarily bad either, but it implies you are net neutral in the outcome of the match IF 50% is average.   But that's IF the average is 50%. 

It's worth remembering that how win rate gets calculated makes it more complex.  50% isn't necessarily average.  Sometimes quits don't contribute as a loss.  And either way, as a match ends if there are uneven players on each side, say 30 on the winners and 20 on the losers, that's effectively a 60% average win rate.  And more often that not the team with more players will win, so there won't be many games with 30 on the losers and 20 on the winners to balance that out.  I don't know what the real average is, but it will almost certainly be >50%.

I also expect the distribution isn't normal, it's probably leptokurtic and skewed, so depending on where you sit against the real average I strongly suspect that a 50% win rate may well be something like top 70-80% of players etc.   That's just a blind guess, as I have no access to the data though.

All good points. My win rate is 53.1% and im in the top 37%. I think the calculation is being done correctly. It occurs to me that you or some other math wiz could calculate the distribution % of win rates by simply getting a sample of say 10 actual win rates and percentages for 10 users. Then create a distribution graph from that.

With the way the game works in the larger modes like conquest, a 50% win rate is nothing to be ashamed of especially if you’re not a team switcher or a quiter

• WetFishDB
    1989 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    WetFishDB wrote: »
    Niila138 said:

All good points. My win rate is 53.1% and im in the top 37%. I think the calculation is being done correctly. It occurs to me that you or some other math wiz could calculate the distribution % of win rates by simply getting a sample of say 10 actual win rates and percentages for 10 users. Then create a distribution graph from that.

With the way the game works in the larger modes like conquest, a 50% win rate is nothing to be ashamed of especially if you’re not a team switcher or a quiter

You’d need a bigger sample to understand the distribution, especially if it’s the shape I suspect it will be... but yeah, someone could do it. It would be cool if BFtracker did it as they have much more data, but can’t see that happening. The reason I suggest it might be a bug, is there’s a habit for people to post in wrong sub forums, and I know some of the BFV stuff was bugged for a while (but don’t know if that was). Just checked and mine is 71% on BF1, 78% on BFV and the % of population is showing correctly for both. Maybe 51% is <99.5% of the population then :shrug
This discussion has been closed.