In game Swear filter

NuttysKunKs
275 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
edited June 14
Who programmed this?

It’s censors the phrase ‘5 hits’ and ‘woop’ Plus many other normal words.

Also, why can’t a type ‘poo’ when I hear a character run fast and shout ‘get the fk down’?

Very strange.

Edited title for clarity ~Rtas
Post edited by EA_Rtas on

Comments

• FF-Bulletsponge
    514 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    edited June 13
    Because those EA renoveds cant handle any swear words and a lot of people are easily offended by the words like removed, etc when it's written down. They all think that written down words hurt more than something a video game character says.
    Post edited by StarscreamUK on
  • Zz_Nabu_zZ
    378 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    And we were supposed to be able to turn it off.
    Just an other lie.
  • llPhantom_Limbll
    5307 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Dice isn't lazy enough to work on that filter constantly but apparently it's absolutely impossible to provide people with option to turn it off completely. Go figure.
  • Titan_Awaken
    609 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    edited June 13
    Because those EA removed cant handle any swear words and a lot of people are easily offended by the words like removed etc when it's written down. They all think that written down words hurt more than something a video game character says.
    I get your point and I agree wholeheartedly but you might want to remove those words before you get called out for it.
    Post edited by StarscreamUK on
  • StarscreamUK
    7240 postsMember, Moderator, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Moderator
    Too late.
  • Trokey66
    8159 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    I see Mercs is on a mission.....
  • EdwinSpangler
    1775 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Who programmed this?

It’s censors the phrase ‘5 hits’ and ‘woop’ Plus many other normal words.

Also, why can’t a type ‘poo’ when I hear a character run fast and shout ‘get the fk down’?

Very strange.
    You can blame all the cool edgy kids who just had to push everything (what you could say) to the limits.. DICE had enough of ppl complaining about verbal abuse in their games.

Now, I dont agree with the way some people talk but I really dont agree with censorship..
  • Hawxxeye
    5161 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    The swear filter is a failure.
    It blocks harmless stuff while people can say all the time in the chat that something that displeases them ingame is "C word that is a disease and also a zodiac sign".
  • NuttysKunKs
    275 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Hawxxeye wrote: »
    The swear filter is a failure.It blocks harmless stuff while people can say all the time in the chat that something that displeases them ingame is "C word that is a disease and also a zodiac sign".

Thing is they revisited it.. must be some sort of AI swear filter.

Just a lazy approach perhaps? But am I not right in saying that it’s an 18+ game?
  • rock1obsta
    3791 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    People just need to learn that words are just words. Strangers words should never offend, and if they do, it's a you problem.

People are far too soft these days.
  • ElliotLH
    7712 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    The swear filter is a failure.It blocks harmless stuff while people can say all the time in the chat that something that displeases them ingame is "C word that is a disease and also a zodiac sign".

Just a lazy approach perhaps? But am I not right in saying that it’s an 18+ game?
    In the EU it's a PEGI 16 game.
  • tempo_rarity
    1010 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    It's far too common these days to slip in a colorful word instead of the appropriate adjective or adverb in a conversation .
    Growing up I still remember the saying from way 'back in the day' : 'Swearing is a sign of low intelligence' .
    I've come to think that it's also a sign of slothfulness if one can't be bothered to search for the right words when conversing and easily uses such substitutions .

Now , around here we can't see each other but we do see each others niks and after awhile of reading what they've typed we sort of 'know' the person behind the nik .
    We eventually get to have an 'impression' of the person and in this sense we get to 'know' them .
    Now , me , I wouldn't want to be known in this way as 'Lazy and Stupid' because I tended to add a whole lot of stars or blank spaces where the right words should have been .

justsayin' :smirk:  

. . . in this sense , the Filter is saving (some of) you from this impression-based **** because you know you can't dance your way around that very peculiar beat and so you comply and try dancing TO it instead . . .
    . . . and I'm left thinking : Good Dancer!! :smile:

Besides , there ARE kids present here - and even the foulest-mouthed truckers and sailors know when to 'turn it off' when in such company .
    So-o Filter On , you screwy Filter! It's sad that we need you , but we do .
    (I won't know if that word preceding 'filter' passes the muster until I hit . . Post)
     :tongue:
  • Astr0damus
    2901 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    I don't mind a little cussing (I was in an Army Infantry unit for crying out loud) but hearing the same thing every 30 seconds gets so annoying and cringy that I don't even hold out for a revive in BF1 because I don't want to hear "I'm eff-ing dying over here!" --- it is just so contrived and unnecessary.
    And then you come to these boards which are for a game that is 18+ and we suddenly have to go PG.
    The game has too much and the forums have too little.
    DICE/EA is the land of extremes. Anti-Air gun too weak? Let's buff it so that it destroys everything in 3 shots. Now it is OP, so let's nerf it so that it is useless.
    This forum is the weirdest though... you can say GD and it's offensive to Christians but not DICE. Yet you say shid and it could get you banned.
    EA wants to play both sides: They want the cash that 12 year olds bring (via their parents) but they don't want the parents to see their 12 year olds reading "filth". Hearing filth in the game every 30 seconds is fine. It makes no sense what-so-ever.
    What the hail?
  • VincentNZ
    2576 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    First it is to say that it is a filter and not censorship. You are still allowed to express your opinions yet there are certain words that are simply filtered via an algorithm. Let us also not forget that hatespeech and insults in many countries of the world are indeed a felony or criminal offence.
    I do like trash talk, and I am against filters, yet there is a line to draw here, hence games feel the need to have one. Further the algorithm creates a huge slew of problems since certain words have a different meaning or different grad of offensiveness depending on language and even culture, which can not be accurately represented by a filter.
  • Astr0damus
    2901 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    We could really use a "Sweat" filter.
  • Hawxxeye
    5161 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    VincentNZ said:
    First it is to say that it is a filter and not censorship. You are still allowed to express your opinions yet there are certain words that are simply filtered via an algorithm. Let us also not forget that hatespeech and insults in many countries of the world are indeed a felony or criminal offence.
    I do like trash talk, and I am against filters, yet there is a line to draw here, hence games feel the need to have one. Further the algorithm creates a huge slew of problems since certain words have a different meaning or different grad of offensiveness depending on language and even culture, which can not be accurately represented by a filter.
    People have proven they can be toxic piles of secrets without using filtered words.
    The swear words can still be used by misspelling  them while innocent  word combinations like "put to" are filtered out of context
  • LowPingScrub
    13 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    ElliotLH wrote: »
    NuttysKunKs said:

I really thought that it was 18, but I'm surprised that it said 16 on the case
  • ElliotLH
    7712 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    ElliotLH wrote: »
    NuttysKunKs said:

I really thought that it was 18, but I'm surprised that it said 16 on the case
    Me as well to be honest - I had to look at my case too to check as I was convinced it was an 18.

It does make sense after reading the definition of the ratings on the PEGI site, since 16 is basically just realistic violence and a bit of swearing whereas 18 is reserved for games where it's more "gross violence, apparently motiveless killing, or violence towards defenceless characters" (now I want to play Postal again 🤣).
  • Astr0damus
    ElliotLH said:
     (now I want to play Postal again 🤣).
    Sorry, but you'll have to wait until your birthday :D