This Week in Battlefield V

In game Swear filter

Comments

• ElliotLH
    8372 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    ElliotLH said:
     (now I want to play Postal again 🤣).
    Sorry, but you'll have to wait until your birthday :D
    Oft that's a while then 😆. I'll watch the film while patiently waiting.
  • Ploodovic
    1642 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Don’t worry, the next Battlefield game won’t have a chat at all, just as on consoles now.
  • OskooI_007
    767 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Why do we not have the option to turn the AI censor filter off? Some of us are not soft shell tacos who need safe spaces.
  • VincentNZ
    2871 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    VincentNZ said:
    First it is to say that it is a filter and not censorship. You are still allowed to express your opinions yet there are certain words that are simply filtered via an algorithm. Let us also not forget that hatespeech and insults in many countries of the world are indeed a felony or criminal offence.
    I do like trash talk, and I am against filters, yet there is a line to draw here, hence games feel the need to have one. Further the algorithm creates a huge slew of problems since certain words have a different meaning or different grad of offensiveness depending on language and even culture, which can not be accurately represented by a filter.
    I'm pretty sure the option to turn the filter off manually will not hurt anyone. Just keep it on by default but provide people with the slider in menu to get rid of censorship. Simple.

Oh yeah I agree with you two. I hate the filter and I am pro-trashtalk, although there are indeed things that you should simply not write. I was merely pointing out the reasons for the option and the differences between a filter and censorship.
  • Trokey66
    8357 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Why, if we are all supposed to be adults, is there such a frenzied desire to be able to swear?

And don't give me that 'fredom of speech' or 'censorship' rubbish!
  • NuttysKunKs
    355 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    I wouldn’t care if the filter done it’s job - filtering out swear words.

But it’s schizophrenic
  • NuttysKunKs
    355 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Trokey66 wrote: »
    Why, if we are all supposed to be adults, is there such a frenzied desire to be able to swear?

Clearly you haven’t been to Scotland...

A word is just a word. It’s the intentions behind then words that give them any weight.
  • Trokey66
    8357 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    edited June 13

A word is just a word. It’s the intentions behind then words that give them any weight.

Errrr, yes I have.

Spent 9 years at Leuchars and my Brother lives up there. Indeed, my Son was born in Dundee.

Still doesn't answer the question as why many adults feel they must be able to swear?

As you say, words are just words so use other ones. The intent can still be the same without swearing.
  • NuttysKunKs

Errrr, yes I have.

Spent 9 years at Leuchars and my Brother lives up there. Indeed, my Son was born in Dundee.

Still doesn't answer the question as why many adults feel they must be able to swear?

As you say, words are just words so use other ones. The intent can still be the same without swearing.

Absolutely.

Well swearing expresses how one feels. Swearing is a habit too. You won’t find old people who don’t swear much suddenly wake up and start Effin and Jeffin’

Sometimes there’s nothing like a good swear word to convey a feeling or enforce a statement.

But words are subjective and the way one goes about expressing them could be completely different to another.

So at the end of the day in a game where im killing **** and hearing swear words nearly every time I die saying the ‘s’ word ain’t no biggie.

Worlds getting to soft.
  • LowPingScrub
    13 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member

Errrr, yes I have.

Well some people need to swear to let out their frustration, like your swedish friend. But their are people that are over using it. Like no need to use the "C" word in front of everything
  • Hawxxeye
    5531 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member

Errrr, yes I have.

Well some people need to swear to let out their frustration, like your swedish friend. But their are people that are over using it. Like no need to use the "C" word in front of everything
    There was a time recently where someone on the chat said " This team is "C" word". I retorted by telling him that I do not find that the team is multiplying uncontrollably, displacing everything around them.
     However a good swear word can do wonders in relaying the feelings in a situation. This is a war game where adrenaline can run high so can the passions, there should not be that much harm if people are allowed to opt into being able to see the words.
  • YourLocalPlumber
    2882 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    The sad thing about all this is that its impossible to hide bad words. Just as with internet piracy, its not going away. Trying to hide it will only make matters worse as people will deliberately find a way to bypass that filter. 

Best option would be to add On/Off toggle, but as with everything in BF5, Dice won't do it, just because.
  • Hawxxeye
    5531 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    The sad thing about all this is that its impossible to hide bad words. Just as with internet piracy, its not going away. Trying to hide it will only make matters worse as people will deliberately find a way to bypass that filter. 

Best option would be to add On/Off toggle, but as with everything in BF5, Dice won't do it, just because.
    I once suggested that it would be a lot better if each of us could just make our own custom filter with things WE do not personally want to see instead of a generic list.
    For example, I only have issues with people saying "ez" and its derivatives at the end of the round as well as people using irrelevant diseases as means to swear.
    It could had been such an easy thing without any need from DICE to maintain it.
  • SirSpectacle
    788 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Somehow "%@#! YOU @#%&;@%!!!!11"  sounds a lot dirtier than the real words used.
  • Trokey66

Errrr, yes I have.

Absolutely.

Well swearing expresses how one feels. Swearing is a habit too. You won’t find old people who don’t swear much suddenly wake up and start Effin and Jeffin’

Sometimes there’s nothing like a good swear word to convey a feeling or enforce a statement.

But words are subjective and the way one goes about expressing them could be completely different to another.

So at the end of the day in a game where im killing **** and hearing swear words nearly every time I die saying the ‘s’ word ain’t no biggie.

Worlds getting to soft.

There is infliction with the spoken word so the 'intent' is often clear. With the written word, that infliction is often lost.
  • EA_Rtas
    391 postsMember, EA Staff, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, EA Moderator, Battlefield V
    edited June 14
    Edit: Okay my bad, got mixed up with the in game filter and the filter on the forums, I'm reopening this but keep it clean please if you want to talk about the filter in game that's fine but don't do it by swearing here.
    Post edited by EA_Rtas on
  • LowPingScrub
    13 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    EA_Rtas wrote: »
    Edit: Okay my bad, got mixed up with the in game filter and the filter on the forums, I'm reopening this but keep it clean please if you want to talk about the filter in game that's fine but don't do it by swearing here.

There goes your moment of glory lol
  • StarscreamUK
    7277 postsMember, Moderator, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Moderator
    He had his moment of glory when he suspended me :)

But let's keep on topic.
    5 hit I can see why that would be detected take the space out and you have a circumvention for another word.

Woop with a single o is an offensive term, surprised to see it detected with a double o like that though
  • FF-Bulletsponge
    514 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    To bad that we don't have the in game chat text on console, because it would be useful to say something against randoms I'm the server.

But on the other side it would be bad because of what the stupid randoms are doing.
  • Titan_Awaken
    727 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    To bad that we don't have the in game chat text on console, because it would be useful to say something against randoms I'm the server.

But on the other side it would be bad because of what the stupid randoms are doing.
    You're not missing out on anything, trust me. Unless if you consider trash-talking, hackusations and blatant insults as useful. And on top of that, an extremely flawed and perplexing word filter.