Which one is it?: "I can't see anyone in BF V!!" or "Spotting was easy-mode, glad it is gone."

Comments

• Dank_Jeezus
    97 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    @JamieCurnock totally agree about the scope taking you out if the game. Good point.

In regards to the overall discussion. I’ve been thinking about it more and do wonder whether effort needs to be put in by DICE to find a compromise. Clearly it has split and hurt the community.

I’m still in favour of no spotting, but I do feel some points are valid and wonder whether the recon, support and Assault passive spot abilities should always be on by default. This would increase spotting overall.

Why not squad spotting?

• sabootheshaman
    1015 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    @JamieCurnock totally agree about the scope taking you out if the game. Good point.

In regards to the overall discussion. I’ve been thinking about it more and do wonder whether effort needs to be put in by DICE to find a compromise. Clearly it has split and hurt the community.

I’m still in favour of no spotting, but I do feel some points are valid and wonder whether the recon, support and Assault passive spot abilities should always be on by default. This would increase spotting overall.

Why not squad spotting?

I think people need to of engaged. I don’t like q spotting. However i do believe the q spotting could be improved and should leave a highlight if where the player was when spotted. Not the link arrow that gets stuck on every leaf if every tree.

I don’t want Doritos.
  • JamieCurnock
    542 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member

Im also in favour of no spotting. Just trying to think of a compromise as it's clearly a polarising issue.
  • Dank_Jeezus

Im also in favour of no spotting. Just trying to think of a compromise as it's clearly a polarising issue.

I think it’s a necessary evil for player movement.

Why dice can’t find a balance just perplexed me though.

• G-Gnu
    1384 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Visibility in this game is still S... as hell , it is cramped with to much fx and it hurts the game play really bad in som instances considering most maps really have a bad layout and have little to no cover or are really cluttered with a lot of debris. 

• ViolationofDerp
    99 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I prefer the spotting mechanics as they are right now, maybe some light tweaking here and there. TBH, spotting in previous titles just meant hitting Q 100 times a minute and waiting for the outcome + constantly checking the minimap. When playing in squad we use the new Q tagging option extensively.
  • sabootheshaman
    1015 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    TheNoobPolice said:
    For some reason in BFV,  the DICE designers got it into their heads that this was somehow bad and started saying crap like "shooting doritos" (something to do with being up their own **** about "Artistic direction" or "muh immersion") which is clearly a pejorative term to describe the idea, of course there's nothing different about aligning up a pixel to the centre of your screen because it's red as opposed to brown, grey or green, but the important thing is you need to be able to see it - the "game" of an FPS is to literally rotate the pixel to the centre of your screen and click it. It's basically gloried laser tag or whack-a-mole. It appeals to the same anthropological hunting instincts to humans just in the same way why a cat will like to swipe it's paw at a fly it sees buzzing around, and these instincts are the only reason we find it fun in the first place. Trying to pretend it's to do with the fact it's a simulation of war shows a gross lack of knowledge and understanding about humans and games in the first place.

For years, DICE fostered their 3D spotting system. They've been tweaking it since Bad Company 2, but aaaaaalll of a sudden, it's some sinful thing that must be removed!

Why did they get rid of it now, after years of encouraging players to use this feature? Does this 'shooting doritos' criticism imply that the previous BF gameplay designers were utter imbeciles for emphasising 3D spotting so much?

At the same time, this community has constantly been trying to instill the virtues of spotting during a match since at least Bad Company 2. New players were implored to smash the spot key as much as possible. There has always been a small portion of the community that wanted it gone, but this time around, there seems to have been a significant turnaround. Now, it feels as if the majority wants 3D spotting to never come back.

It's strange, really.

Cool story. You should write copy for advertising.
  • Dank_Jeezus
    Fortnite made kiddies scared of gunfights.

Can’t be fun if two players are aware of each other before an enagagement. Better make the game hardcore lite so bush wooks can IWIN you wish lazer sar’s...

Sheesh
  • BJgobbleDix
    7 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    edited June 23
    100% prefer the current design over the old "Doritos" spotting.  How people argue for that is kinda beyond me.  What I saw in the JFrags video is just a strategy and a lack of using flares.  Who cares.  Yes, it can be somewhat difficult to see certain models with the environment. This could be a bit improved but I don't find it that difficult.  And The old spotting had ZERO skill.  Mash a button, mark a person that you could not see even if they were behind some brush, aim according to the mark and kill a person without any necessary risk.  It was idiotic imho.

In BF5, the ping system is perfectly fine.  It could use a bit of fine tuning.  The implementation of spotting for suppressing is also great but needs further worked. It could use some buffs across all weapons such as spotting occurs a bit faster after a few shots depending on the weapons (like 1 shot with bolt action snipers that are within 5 meter radius of the round assuming it works like this vs actually hitting them).  The radius for suppression on LMGs for support could be a little bit widened as well.  Explosives could create a brief suppression/spotting in a decent radius thus giving every class more utility in this department and Dice could make the brief flash of an icon of an enemy suppressed above their head but it does not remain persistent (only lasts like 1 second) except on the minimap. So yeah, some work is needed but the current foundation is where it should stay.  No going back to the Doritos.  And people just need to do better at using flares.  I spam the crap out of them. Also, people just need to be aware and use their freakin minimap more often.  Every shooter, I'm constantly glancing at it.  It amazes me how many people that are at lvl 50 that lack so much awareness in this game.  I'm playing outpost, a squad mate gets a Tiger tank and wastes the time to drive to a point that we already had 10 or so teammates at and they had the bomb set.  HIGHLY doubt there were any enemies there.  It was beyond obvious our allies had it under control.  And the mini map showed there being tons of enemies at another point that was under contest with the rest of our team.  Don't need everything handed to you on a silver platter on the HUD.
  • Hawxxeye
    5179 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    edited June 23
    I have to report that after getting a new PC monitor in place of the previous TV monitor, things look a  visibly better now.
    And this is a problem cause it means that hardware literally buys a huge advantage in that case
    Post edited by Hawxxeye on
  • TFBisquit
    1325 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    And then people find it strange to see the player base getting smaller and smaller.
    Btw the jackfrags vid is real, and still happens to this day. They won't fix it though, that's impossible with how the game is designed. It would take a complete overhaul of all the costumes.
  • SirTerrible
    1632 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Hawxxeye said:
    I have to report that after getting a new PC monitor in place of the previous TV monitor, things look a  visibly better now.
    And this is a problem cause it means that hardware literally buys a huge advantage in that case
    Try playing Twisted Steel on a launch Xbox One lol. Bushes and trees aren't correctly transparent until you are within a few feet of them. Character models blend into everything unless the player is moving. Footstep audio rarely works correctly. It's a mess.
  • parkingbrake
    3202 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member

For some reason in BFV,  the DICE designers got it into their heads that this was somehow bad and started saying crap like "shooting doritos" (something to do with being up their own **** about "Artistic direction" or "muh immersion") which is clearly a pejorative term to describe the idea, of course there's nothing different about aligning up a pixel to the centre of your screen because it's red as opposed to brown, grey or green, but the important thing is you need to be able to see it - the "game" of an FPS is to literally rotate the pixel to the centre of your screen and click it. It's basically gloried laser tag or whack-a-mole. It appeals to the same anthropological hunting instincts to humans just in the same way why a cat will like to swipe it's paw at a fly it sees buzzing around, and these instincts are the only reason we find it fun in the first place. Trying to pretend it's to do with the fact it's a simulation of war shows a gross lack of knowledge and understanding about humans and games in the first place.
    For years, DICE fostered their 3D spotting system. They've been tweaking it since Bad Company 2, but aaaaaalll of a sudden, it's some sinful thing that must be removed!

Why did they get rid of it now, after years of encouraging players to use this feature? Does this 'shooting doritos' criticism imply that the previous BF gameplay designers were utter imbeciles for emphasising 3D spotting so much?

At the same time, this community has constantly been trying to instill the virtues of spotting during a match since at least Bad Company 2. New players were implored to smash the spot key as much as possible. There has always been a small portion of the community that wanted it gone, but this time around, there seems to have been a significant turnaround. Now, it feels as if the majority wants 3D spotting to never come back.

It's strange, really.
    "It's evolution, baby!"

Vedder/Gossard 1998
  • MintySSD
    30 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    least they haven't taken away the spotting option for the tanks, makes finding campers easy hahaha
  • sabootheshaman
    Hawxxeye wrote: »
    I have to report that after getting a new PC monitor in place of the previous TV monitor, things look a  visibly better now.And this is a problem cause it means that hardware literally buys a huge advantage in that case

I and many others have been saying this for a while.

I’m playing on a pricey display and have never had an issue with visibility. I think a lot of it is due to DICE targeting high end with HDR. It’s left way too many people behind. I think it’s even worse for consoles.

I love my display but clearly people are copping some serious rubbish visibility in a lot of cases.
  • JamieCurnock
    542 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member

I think it’s a necessary evil for player movement.

Why dice can’t find a balance just perplexed me though.

I honestly don't really find it an issue. I'm not just saying this to argue but I genuinely haven't had the visibility issue others have. Yes of course sometimes people blend in but I just accept those deaths, go back and kill them then move on. That said clearly a balance is needed otherwise it wouldn't be a topic of discussion.