Weekly BF

"It's time to end the MMG bipod meta" said Westie

Comments

• warslag
    1536 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    Yeah let's get rid of them because in real life battles it's well known they aren't used and that it's just soldiers blindly bunny hopping toward enemy positions to capture them just because they frown upon campers.
    Authenticity
    It's the way that players are prone and how that behaviour affect map design that players don't like. Which is because the bipod has a bonus to weapon stats, something that bipods don't always have in games.

It's that toxic effect of bipods that players want to "get rid of".
  • M_Rat13
    1285 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    MMGs are fine AND not fine. They're fine the way they are but the environments they're in (maps) sometimes makes them too good, too infuriating to play against. I know I keep harping on the maps issue but just imagine maps that have more cover, bigger cover, bigger buildings, fences, etc... maps with no long sightlines. These type maps force the mmg (And sniper) to move because their sightlines are very limited and they're bound to get bored due to the fact that if they remain stationary they're going to see very little action. Marita maybe a good example of this (IF it has alot of flanking options otherwise the few lanes will get clogged up with MMGs).

Amiens and Prise de Tahure are good examples of this too. Fort and Argonne too. Propaganda, Pearl Market, Nansha Strike, Dawnbreaker etc...

I know people in this thread keep saying BF3 and BF4 all had campers just like BFV. But we all know and remember they're weren't nearly as effective. Oftentimes they didn't have the sightlines or were TOO far away to be effective or were simple corner or room campers. Nothing as effective as the BFV mmg users (or PC snipers) who can literally lockdown more than a quadrant of the map maybe even up to a 60 degree angle because they have an open sightline with no cover for the poor souls who enter their fov.

Either bring us maps that solve this issue or bring back spotting like it was in BF3/4.

No the reason campers were useless is becuase camping weapons were trash tier, and run and gun ARs were OP.
  • zenn_nme
    812 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Just turn MMG's into LMG's only with a massive recoil kick & less accuracy, so that ADS isn't the way to play with these weapons.
  • MarxistDictator
    4946 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Hawxxeye wrote: »
    TFBisquit said:

Pelliy wrote: »
    bran1986 said:

As a side note the assault explosives are getting nerfed this coming patch. So for those who say " what about the assault class!" Well there you go.

again? pretty soon it'll be tissue paper at this point. And people will stay its OP.

Imo, they're not focusing on the real issue of the assault class. The Semi-automatic and Self loading rifles. Nerf those. 

I don't see an issue with Sar's. They're nerfed enough. Any more would make them useless.

I do

The fast firing ones output too much damage for their recoil values, resembling a full auto weapon.

The first hit was a headshot? Autos get way worse face melt instant deaths from headshots than the SARs do (and things like the M1 are already brutal)
  • warslag
    1536 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    Cerben1 said:
    The problem with the MMGs is they are just too accurate. In real life, yes that dreaded term, the MG42 was not a particularly accurate weapon, especially at range.  What is was great for though was keeping peoples heads down as bullets sprayed everywhere. The Bren on the other hand was extremly accurate (for an LMG) though i know in game they are classed differently but was the UK equivalent,  and could be used to snipe individual enemy, but wasnt as good in the suppressive role because of this.  So in game, MMGs should not be laser beams even when bipoded
    “Ma Deuce was the mg used for world longest kill in 2018. its an HMG.  The idea that machine guns fling bullets forward in a random, scattered way is a fiction based on their portrayal in movies and video games.

In reality, machine guns have long, heavy barrels, powerful ammunition, and are usually fired from bipods, tripods, or pivot mounts. All of these things and up to machine guns actually typically having very good range and accuracy.

In the Vietnam war, legendary Marine scout sniper, Gunnery Sergeant Carlos “White Feather” Hathcock actually made some of his most impressive long range kills using a .50 caliber machine gun in single-shot mode with a scope mounted on top.

More recently, the Marine Corps started adopting the M27 IAR as a replacement for the M249 SAW light machinegun, but notices that it also works incredibly well as a designated marksman rifle.

When using a machinegun for it's intended use (suppressive fire), the machine gunner does not simply point the gun in the enemy's general direction, close his eyes, and hold down the trigger. The machine gunner walks his fire back and forth over an area, or pinpoints the area right next to where an enemy is taking cover. In some cases, he will shoot a hole through a wall, and then shoot through the hole to hit enemies on the other side.

A machine gunner in a defensive position might be tasked with shooting out the engine block on an approaching vehicle 600m away, or keeping approaching enemy infantry pinned down behind cover from that distance, while artillery is called on their position, or a friendly patrol maneuvers into position to ambush them at close range.

The fact that in video games, machine guns have a short range and low accuracy, or do little damage per bullet is simply a way for the developers to try to balance out the machine gun against all the other weapons in the game.

In reality, a machine gun is more like a fully-automatic sniper rifle than even an assault rifle, but video games and movies treat them almost more like sawed-off shotguns that shoot one pellet at a time.

but if we putt the real mg stats in an game it will not be fun for any one but if you feel that they are that pore in real life i suggest you join the armed forces and try them out.  i think you will be surprised how you can put rounds after round on target in the same holes you have done in the target just down range at more then 500m away at full auto. and i sugest googling that mg-42 your bashing at as well.

have a nice day.

i dont get it why an game changer that has been in this program for this game waits 7-8 months whit his criticism towards how mmg plays. the big issue i have whit metro was  explosive spam and i think the incendiary grenade is a bigger issue on an metro map then an bipod mmg and piat and rifle grenades are going to be far more effective same whit sticky tnt =) 

That's quite a convoluted way of explaining that you don't really understand how games differ from reality.
  • Cerben1
    265 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    warslag said:
    Cerben1 said:
    The problem with the MMGs is they are just too accurate. In real life, yes that dreaded term, the MG42 was not a particularly accurate weapon, especially at range.  What is was great for though was keeping peoples heads down as bullets sprayed everywhere. The Bren on the other hand was extremly accurate (for an LMG) though i know in game they are classed differently but was the UK equivalent,  and could be used to snipe individual enemy, but wasnt as good in the suppressive role because of this.  So in game, MMGs should not be laser beams even when bipoded
    “Ma Deuce was the mg used for world longest kill in 2018. its an HMG.  The idea that machine guns fling bullets forward in a random, scattered way is a fiction based on their portrayal in movies and video games.

In reality, machine guns have long, heavy barrels, powerful ammunition, and are usually fired from bipods, tripods, or pivot mounts. All of these things and up to machine guns actually typically having very good range and accuracy.

In the Vietnam war, legendary Marine scout sniper, Gunnery Sergeant Carlos “White Feather” Hathcock actually made some of his most impressive long range kills using a .50 caliber machine gun in single-shot mode with a scope mounted on top.

More recently, the Marine Corps started adopting the M27 IAR as a replacement for the M249 SAW light machinegun, but notices that it also works incredibly well as a designated marksman rifle.

When using a machinegun for it's intended use (suppressive fire), the machine gunner does not simply point the gun in the enemy's general direction, close his eyes, and hold down the trigger. The machine gunner walks his fire back and forth over an area, or pinpoints the area right next to where an enemy is taking cover. In some cases, he will shoot a hole through a wall, and then shoot through the hole to hit enemies on the other side.

A machine gunner in a defensive position might be tasked with shooting out the engine block on an approaching vehicle 600m away, or keeping approaching enemy infantry pinned down behind cover from that distance, while artillery is called on their position, or a friendly patrol maneuvers into position to ambush them at close range.

The fact that in video games, machine guns have a short range and low accuracy, or do little damage per bullet is simply a way for the developers to try to balance out the machine gun against all the other weapons in the game.

In reality, a machine gun is more like a fully-automatic sniper rifle than even an assault rifle, but video games and movies treat them almost more like sawed-off shotguns that shoot one pellet at a time.

but if we putt the real mg stats in an game it will not be fun for any one but if you feel that they are that pore in real life i suggest you join the armed forces and try them out.  i think you will be surprised how you can put rounds after round on target in the same holes you have done in the target just down range at more then 500m away at full auto. and i sugest googling that mg-42 your bashing at as well.

have a nice day.

i dont get it why an game changer that has been in this program for this game waits 7-8 months whit his criticism towards how mmg plays. the big issue i have whit metro was  explosive spam and i think the incendiary grenade is a bigger issue on an metro map then an bipod mmg and piat and rifle grenades are going to be far more effective same whit sticky tnt =) 

That's quite a convoluted way of explaining that you don't really understand how games differ from reality.
    did you read my post? " The fact that in video games, machine guns have a short range and low accuracy, or do little damage per bullet is simply a way for the developers to try to balance out the machine gun against all the other weapons in the game" it was a big wall of text so its hard to see and read it all i gess =)
  • warslag
    edited June 25
    Cerben1 said:
    warslag said:
    Cerben1 said:

have a nice day.

did you read my post? " The fact that in video games, machine guns have a short range and low accuracy, or do little damage per bullet is simply a way for the developers to try to balance out the machine gun against all the other weapons in the game" it was a big wall of text so its hard to see and read it all i gess =)
    I read it twice and now I've read it again. Because it's a massive ramble that's why I didn't pick out the bit about games having balancing priorities that distort reality so players can immerse themselves in the enjoyment of games without being suffocated with realism.
  • Marine_IraHayes2
    237 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield Member
    warslag wrote: »
    Cerben1 said:

warslag said:

Cerben1 said:

ninjapenquinuk said:

“Ma Deuce was the mg used for world longest kill in 2018. its an HMG.  The idea that machine guns fling bullets forward in a random, scattered way is a fiction based on their portrayal in movies and video games.In reality, machine guns have long, heavy barrels, powerful ammunition, and are usually fired from bipods, tripods, or pivot mounts. All of these things and up to machine guns actually typically having very good range and accuracy.In the Vietnam war, legendary Marine scout sniper, Gunnery Sergeant Carlos “White Feather” Hathcock actually made some of his most impressive long range kills using a .50 caliber machine gun in single-shot mode with a scope mounted on top.More recently, the Marine Corps started adopting the M27 IAR as a replacement for the M249 SAW light machinegun, but notices that it also works incredibly well as a designated marksman rifle.When using a machinegun for it's intended use (suppressive fire), the machine gunner does not simply point the gun in the enemy's general direction, close his eyes, and hold down the trigger. The machine gunner walks his fire back and forth over an area, or pinpoints the area right next to where an enemy is taking cover. In some cases, he will shoot a hole through a wall, and then shoot through the hole to hit enemies on the other side.A machine gunner in a defensive position might be tasked with shooting out the engine block on an approaching vehicle 600m away, or keeping approaching enemy infantry pinned down behind cover from that distance, while artillery is called on their position, or a friendly patrol maneuvers into position to ambush them at close range.The fact that in video games, machine guns have a short range and low accuracy, or do little damage per bullet is simply a way for the developers to try to balance out the machine gun against all the other weapons in the game.In reality, a machine gun is more like a fully-automatic sniper rifle than even an assault rifle, but video games and movies treat them almost more like sawed-off shotguns that shoot one pellet at a time.but if we putt the real mg stats in an game it will not be fun for any one but if you feel that they are that pore in real life i suggest you join the armed forces and try them out.  i think you will be surprised how you can put rounds after round on target in the same holes you have done in the target just down range at more then 500m away at full auto. and i sugest googling that mg-42 your bashing at as well.have a nice day.

I read it twice and now I've read it again. Because it's a massive ramble that's why I didn't pick out the bit about games having balancing priorities that distort reality so players can immerse themselves in the enjoyment of games without being suffocated with realism.

Might be a good time to go lay low for awhile because at this point you are just embarrassing yourself.
  • ragnarok013
    3322 postsMember, Moderator, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Moderator
    Cerben1 said:

warslag said:

Cerben1 said:

ninjapenquinuk said:

“Ma Deuce was the mg used for world longest kill in 2018. its an HMG.  The idea that machine guns fling bullets forward in a random, scattered way is a fiction based on their portrayal in movies and video games.In reality, machine guns have long, heavy barrels, powerful ammunition, and are usually fired from bipods, tripods, or pivot mounts. All of these things and up to machine guns actually typically having very good range and accuracy.In the Vietnam war, legendary Marine scout sniper, Gunnery Sergeant Carlos “White Feather” Hathcock actually made some of his most impressive long range kills using a .50 caliber machine gun in single-shot mode with a scope mounted on top.More recently, the Marine Corps started adopting the M27 IAR as a replacement for the M249 SAW light machinegun, but notices that it also works incredibly well as a designated marksman rifle.When using a machinegun for it's intended use (suppressive fire), the machine gunner does not simply point the gun in the enemy's general direction, close his eyes, and hold down the trigger. The machine gunner walks his fire back and forth over an area, or pinpoints the area right next to where an enemy is taking cover. In some cases, he will shoot a hole through a wall, and then shoot through the hole to hit enemies on the other side.A machine gunner in a defensive position might be tasked with shooting out the engine block on an approaching vehicle 600m away, or keeping approaching enemy infantry pinned down behind cover from that distance, while artillery is called on their position, or a friendly patrol maneuvers into position to ambush them at close range.The fact that in video games, machine guns have a short range and low accuracy, or do little damage per bullet is simply a way for the developers to try to balance out the machine gun against all the other weapons in the game.In reality, a machine gun is more like a fully-automatic sniper rifle than even an assault rifle, but video games and movies treat them almost more like sawed-off shotguns that shoot one pellet at a time.but if we putt the real mg stats in an game it will not be fun for any one but if you feel that they are that pore in real life i suggest you join the armed forces and try them out.  i think you will be surprised how you can put rounds after round on target in the same holes you have done in the target just down range at more then 500m away at full auto. and i sugest googling that mg-42 your bashing at as well.have a nice day.

Might be a good time to go lay low for awhile because at this point you are just embarrassing yourself.
    Marine_IraHayes2 keep it civil, there's no reason to get personal here on the forums.
  • AdvancedMuppetry
    107 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Since when are the opinions of nobodies on YT important enough to warrant gameplay changes?  I'm baffled that DICE listens to only 1% of the playerbase re: gameplay when there are more important issues to worry about that us normies have been clamoring for ever about.
  • ninjapenquinuk
    1908 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Cerben1 said:

have a nice day.

Hang on there cowboy.  Firing any gun in single shot mode is a totally different kettle of fish to firing full auto, even in bursts.  The BREN in ww2 was used as a 'sniper rife' at times due to it being highly accurate.  The MG42 however was not highly accurate in full auto burst, and couldn't fire in single shot mode. It needed a tripod to be used effectively or else it wandered all over the place. Thats not to say the MG42 was not a seriously effective weapon. it was, it could mow down squads with ease, and kept platoons heads down far better than most other weapons but they were not laser beams out to several hundred yards. Plus, remember we are talking WW2 HMGs not modern equivalents, which are no doubt a lot more accurate.  You then have to factor in, in game balance.

• Marine_IraHayes2
    237 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield Member
    Marine_IraHayes2 said:

Cerben1 said:

warslag said:

Cerben1 said:

ninjapenquinuk said:

Marine_IraHayes2 keep it civil, there's no reason to get personal here on the forums.

I’ll give you the benefit of the doubt but did you not see both of his insulting comments?
    Try reading it all and if I’m the arrogant one here then feel free to boot me out of forums.
  • trip1ex
    4877 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Yeah let's get rid of them because in real life battles it's well known they aren't used and that it's just soldiers blindly bunny hopping toward enemy positions to capture them just because they frown upon campers.
    Authenticity
    it's also well known in real life battles that  enemies don't die they just respawn.  Authenticity!
  • Elephante33
    271 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I dont see a single reason why this so-called Bipod meta is bad, considering this is supposed to be a MMG, as in something you are SUPPOSED to stop, drop and deploy, as you would in real life. It promotes a game style of defense which is what some objectives require, and a way to actual set up a frontline for people to rally around. If the bipod didnt work, as in it didnt reduce recoil and its a wepaon the outputs alot of DPS, then what would be the point?

Balancing the use of MMGs isnt about nerfing or changing how THEY work but how the MAP works, and what tools are available to fight them. An MMG is supposed to be a supressive, unwieldy, terrifying weapon, not a pea shooter to be easily overcome
  • idk1233211
    632 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    I'm against them being nerfed. Just killed a group of 5 rushers. Instead of running around like crazy, use your head.

game is not designed for you to hold a beer in one hand and slaughter the enemy team, while you sip away.