Weekly Debrief

[Megathread] Performance issues/Stutter BF5 - PC

Comments

• TFBisquit
    1648 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Game is becoming unpleasant when one stotted all the time by pistols and machineguns. Yesterday was reasonably smooth, today, just as with previous patch after a couple of days, is bad again. Game chokes while fps is good and doesn't dip either.
    If only that would happen, I could explain it. But I can't, besides more 100+ pingers ofcourse.
  • PtBlankDiplomacy
    94 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Korpisavu wrote: »
    No more ideas guys? I would very much like to be able to play the game I bought.

I use some tweaks that made bf v playable for me. Thing is, I tweak settings in Nvidia CP. I don’t know if there are some similar settings in AMD CP.

First of all I have disabled full screen optimization. Then tweaked those settings:

1. Threaded optimizations on
    2. Prefer maximum performance
    3. Anti aliasing off.
  • Lahoo_Eckbert
    1272 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    I think servers/connection play a role in fps.
    Yesterday I didn't have any serious fps dips and stutter. Today I experienced some out of the blue.

• Bryjo3
    134 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    PrOdyh said:
    Right now my perfect configuration with an i58600k + 1070:

All in high, removing HBAO directx 11 and above all and the most important V-SYNC activated, with that the game goes smooth without jerks, in fact even in games like World War 3 (Unreal Engine 4), I also have the V-SYNC and It goes better in terms of fluency.

Of course the external ISLC memory management program.
    Vsync on in-game introduces input lag, though.
  • Nzz1
    42 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Still CTD in DX 12. Worst fps in DX11 in history !

9900k stock and 2080ti stock. Give up this game!
  • l-SneakyBastrd-l
    215 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    I'm on 430.65 i think no lag or stutter, UNLESS an assignment pops up as complete then a slight pause
  • l-SneakyBastrd-l
    215 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    It seems some players are more affected than others
  • Altair10kV
    2 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I am reporting this in the hope that it will be useful to someone else who is currently having the same problem I used to have. I have been on a long gaming hiatus and I have only recently bought BFV this last week, after updating most of the drivers I fired it up and noticed that the game was almost unplayable due to stuttering, this is how I fixed it.

My Specs:
    AMD R9 270x 2GB @ 1080p
    Intel i5-7400 @ 3.0 GHz
    8GB of RAM @ 2133 MHz

Now as you can see, my PC is pretty outdated. I was averaging around 40 FPS on high settings which was very acceptable for me considering my specs, however, the game would stutter every 30 seconds or so and my FPS would immediately drop down to somewhere around 15 FPS for almost a second then jump back up to 40. This made the game very unplayable, I checked the CPU/GPU/RAM usage using the resource monitor while the game was running, and I noticed that the total RAM usage was around 7GB and peaking around 7.4GB. This made me doubt that the game was running out of memory to use, so I did the obvious thing and added more RAM to my PC.

I had already 2 sticks of 4GB RAM @ 2133 MHz installed, and since they were pretty outdated as well, I did not find similar RAM sticks anywhere. I ended up buying a 4GB RAM stick of a different brand as well as a different speed of 2666 MHz. I installed the two 4GB RAM sticks on two different channels to enable dual channel mode, and installed the third new RAM stick in a similar channel to one of the other sticks. To my surprise though, when I fired up the game again to test it, the game was extremely laggy and I was now getting an average of 18 FPS. I am not sure how more RAM could make the game perform worse but I doubted it had something to do with the channels, so I put the two similar 4GB RAM @ 2133 MHz sticks together in the same channel, and put the new different RAM stick in the other channel. This made my performance go back to normal and averaging around 40 FPS again, however, I checked the total RAM usage now and it was around 10GB, this made the stuttering go away completely, I don't drop below 30 FPS at all like before. I am not sure what was wrong in the first installation but I am guessing having two RAMs of different speeds on the same channel messed something up.

Moral of story: Extra RAM and correct channel choice could hopefully fix your stuttering problems even if you have an outdated potato PC like mine.
  • LOLGotYerTags
    13091 postsMember, Moderator, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Moderator
    No amount of ram is going to remove or reduce the stuttering.

Especially when the same hardware was performing optimally before, And still is now.

It's a client issue and whilst the game feels smoother,  the stutters are still there.

Many are reporting that assignments tracking are causing it for them,  And others are still noticing long freezes ( 1 to 2 seconds long ) when firing or being fired upon.

Also the issue is a recurring theme on more recent builds of windows 10. ( 1903 etc )
  • OskooI_007
    793 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Glad to hear the extra ram helped. Ideally the two identical sticks should be in the same colored slots for dual channel mode. The (new) third stick in a different colored slot from the rest. The third stick will only run in single channel mode because there's not a stick paired with it in the same colored slot.

So basically you have 8GB of ram running in dual channel mode and 4GB running in single channel mode.
  • Jezzzeh
    753 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I'm of the opinion that Assignment tracking is only a small factor in this. The worst stuttering I get tends to appear during combat particularly Close Quarter Combat where it's most noticeable. I am not tracking any assignments myself yet I still see a lot of stutter and sluggish movement during combat.

I really feel that there is something much more integral to the core design at work here which is causing this.
  • Jinko_itx
    722 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    if you have a balanced PC and still get stutter, then it is not your hardware, but if you trying to push a 1080 Ti using an i5 cpu, then it is your hardware
  • Roger8700
    13 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    The game improved, but still there is stuttering present during the game, at least now I can play up to 8 games in a smooth way before having stuttering.

Where I still have stuttering is some maps, especially Twisted Steel and Panzerstorm, where in some points of the map the stuttering returns.

If it's a problem with the maps, I hope they fix it in the next patch.

My specs:
    i7 8700
    MSI Z370 Tomawank
    32 GB RAM (2x16 GB) Patriot Viper C16 3200 Mhz
    Geforce GTX 1080 Ti
    Windows 10 1903

In game:
    DX11, 1440p, vsync off, future rendering on, All Ultra (post-processing medium).
  • CYP3ORG
    17 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    I'm using an i5-6500 with RTX 2060 and stuttering is almost gone as of this patch, but after this patch there are GPU lag spikes that are occuring randomly.
  • g0merpile
    583 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    For me the last patch made the game unplayable
  • Carbonic
    1389 postsMember, Moderator, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Moderator
    edited June 27
    Every Battlefield game has people who has issues with game performance where it's an issue with they own computers. This game is no different.
    When people post about stuttering issues etc. there's pretty much never enough information and/or there has not been enough troubleshooting taken place for the readers to know if it's a computer issue or one of the performance issues with the game - since people can't change the game(as they don't work for DICE) they try and help with what they can help with, troubleshooting their computers in case it's there the issue is (or perhaps a workaround can be found).

In short, don't get mad when people suggest fixes on your end to your performance issues, they are just trying to help and that's the only way they can.
    The only other way for us as a community to help DICE and each other is to help try and figure out exactly why, when and on what hardware the performance issues happen and provide good feedback about it - that can be talk on here or bug reports here: https://answers.ea.com/t5/Bug-Reports/bd-p/battlefield-v-bug-reports-en

Post edited by Carbonic on
  • xXMysterio
    40 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Carbonic wrote: »
    Every Battlefield game has people who has issues with game performance where it's an issue with they own computers. This game is no different.When people post about stuttering issues etc. there's pretty much never enough information and/or there has not been enough troubleshooting taken place for the readers to know if it's a computer issue or one of the performance issues with the game - since people can't change the game(as they don't work for DICE) they try and help with what they can help with, troubleshooting on their computers in case it's there the issue is or perhaps a workaround can be found.
    In short, don't get mad when people suggest fixes on your end to your performance issues, they are just trying to help and that's the only way they can.The only other way for us as a community to help DICE and each other is to help try and figure out exactly why, when and on what hardware the performance issues happen and provide good feedback about it - that can be talk on here or bug reports here: https://answers.ea.com/t5/Bug-Reports/bd-p/battlefield-v-bug-reports-en

^ this

"Your hardware is bad/old" is the most common answer.
    But, in most cases it's not the whole truth. It's more important to have hardware which fits each other, drivers that work the best (newer is not always better!). Many people use "driver updaters" to always get the newest ones, cause the best performance is promised by the devs. Often enough, the manufacturers optimize drivers for their hardware (especially for Mainboards etc). Installing generic new drivers *can* break specific compatibilities and/or cause bottlenecks in the system.
    Also "cleaning utilities" can do more harm than anything else. Specifically if they delete regestry things which their algorithm decide to be useless or bad.

Often enough, it's just better to perform an reset of the OS (Windows 10 makes it real easy). Or if you don't want to set up everything again, an 'Inplace Upgrade' of Windows can do the trick. Everything is kept in place, files, programs etc. But the windows core gets renewed and "healed".

Also, slimming the Nvidia drivers is a good idea to get rid of the bloatware and have the best performance.

TL;DR
    If nothing else worked:
    1. Reset Windows (or make an Inplace upgrade)
    2. Install drivers given by the manufacturer, except graphics card
    3. Uninstall the Nvidia driver completely using DDU
    4. Install the newest driver, slimmed with Nvidia Driver Slimmer, tweak it to your liking (max performance f.e.)
    5. Note down/backup your important in game settings. Reset the in game settings
    6. Use programs like Process Lasso to optimize processes, disable core parking, set the energy profile for maximum performance
    7. Pray to the lord that DICE finally releases the performance "wonder update"
  • cappelmans
    4 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    The stuttering is still present unfortunatly. On top of it the sound engine now stutters even worse. The stuttering is very noticable on Arras for me. Unplayable. Going back to BF4 for the 5th time while trying a new update lol
  • cappelmans
    4 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I like the game a lot. But it became unplayable for me. The latest patch did not fix it, it made it even worse. The sound engine chokes and stutters as well now. Even on lowest possible settings. For now back to BF4
  • Nutcrusherr
    264 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    PrOdyh wrote: »
    Right now my perfect configuration with an i58600k + 1070:

All in high, removing HBAO directx 11 and above all and the most important V-SYNC activated, with that the game goes smooth without jerks, in fact even in games like World War 3 (Unreal Engine 4), I also have the V-SYNC and It goes better in terms of fluency.

Of course the external ISLC memory management program.

Vsync on and you have tremendous imput lagg.
    In a game like this every ms counts...
    I dont have screen tearing and i dont wanna lock my fps either so vsync does nothin for me only slows me down..