Community Manager responds to cosmetic concerns. Goes as well as you think.

Comments

• VincentNZ
    3885 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    I do not see this as a real pressing issue, as I am pretty sure we will get an own American faction. We also do have quite a few British customization options and at least they are real uniforms and not something overly silly like an opera mask.
    I certainly do not see a point to let it out on the community manager who formulated, while typical marketing jargon, a rather polite answer/statement. As if he had any say in these things, he just needs to be the connection and deflect flak from us about a game he is in no way developing.
  • SupremeAzsoul
    332 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Jezzzeh said:
    Jezzzeh said:
    Historical uniform accuracy doesn't bother me one jot.

It's the locations that are make it for me.

End of day folk were wearing all sorts in that war despite what hollywood might allude to.
    Still not sure if Brits should wear American uniform.

You might have done if you were cold and had lost your own jacket to fire a few miles back somewhere. Maybe?
    Shhh!. You're going to have to repeat that. 
    You might have done if you were cold and had lost your own jacket to fire a few miles back somewhere. 
    Well, where'd you lose it? It ain't a set of ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ car keys now is it!?
  • Maretex
    29 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield Member
    Maretex said:
     I mean, "historical inaccuracy" was that first trailer and they fixed that. Done. Next issue.
    No, they haven't fixed it. They removed the more ridiculous stuff from the trailer, but we still have wildly inaccurate uniforms.
    But we have to deal with the real factor x fun factor x possible factor. It's not that simple. 
    If the game was 100% (or near) accurate, it wouldn't be possible to achieve several combinations for soldier customization. Uniforms have this name because they are supposed to be the same for everyone. Uni = one, only. Where is the fun in that? Or how could they add customization? 
    I know, immersion. I was a "I don't want different soldiers! That doesn't make any sense. I want to be just one out of the hundreds of soldiers dying in the battlefield" type of guy. Was. Because the customization is so great (and getting better and better) that this old idea of mine suddenly fade away. Reviving a friend of mine and recognizing his face, his clothes is something else. Also, sometimes I change every character I have and come up with even better outfits. 

Again, I understand your (and overall) point. I don't like to see people playing with snow camo on Hamada. That surely doesn't make any sense. But ok. My guy is tan, my friends' are as well. Most of the players are "standard" or almost. The differences between then gives each player authenticity. Something I felt missing when returning to Battlefield 1. 

• Kattegat_Twin
    856 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Maretex said:
    Maretex said:
     I mean, "historical inaccuracy" was that first trailer and they fixed that. Done. Next issue.
    No, they haven't fixed it. They removed the more ridiculous stuff from the trailer, but we still have wildly inaccurate uniforms.
    But we have to deal with the real factor x fun factor x possible factor. It's not that simple. 
    If the game was 100% (or near) accurate, it wouldn't be possible to achieve several combinations for soldier customization. Uniforms have this name because they are supposed to be the same for everyone. Uni = one, only. Where is the fun in that? Or how could they add customization? 
    I know, immersion. I was a "I don't want different soldiers! That doesn't make any sense. I want to be just one out of the hundreds of soldiers dying in the battlefield" type of guy. Was. Because the customization is so great (and getting better and better) that this old idea of mine suddenly fade away. Reviving a friend of mine and recognizing his face, his clothes is something else. Also, sometimes I change every character I have and come up with even better outfits. 

Again, I understand your (and overall) point. I don't like to see people playing with snow camo on Hamada. That surely doesn't make any sense. But ok. My guy is tan, my friends' are as well. Most of the players are "standard" or almost. The differences between then gives each player authenticity. Something I felt missing when returning to Battlefield 1. 

There are ways to have differences in uniforms, without making ridiculous looking items. Look at how Rising Storm 2: Vietnam does it. They have tonnes of customisations, things like ripped sleeves, rolled up sleeves, no shirt at all, and dirtier/more worn uniforms are available as you rank up, so when you see a guy covered in filth and with his clothes in rags, you know this guy has been playing for a while and is experienced. It's a great way to show vet status without detracting from the overall aesthetics. They have things like sunglasses and moustaches, bandanas, loads of things.

I would love BFV so much more if we had authentic uniforms, with the customisation like it is in RO2:V. Differing shades of colour and stages of wear. I don't think it's an unreasonable wish, and I challenge anyone to say that the current uniform situation is better than that.

• Kattegat_Twin
    856 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Maretex said:
    Maretex said:

The forum ate my post when I tried to edit it. Here goes again:

There are ways to have differences in uniforms, without making ridiculous looking items. Look at how Rising Storm 2: Vietnam does it. They have tonnes of customisations, things like ripped sleeves, rolled up sleeves, no shirt at all, and dirtier/more worn uniforms are available as you rank up, so when you see a guy covered in filth and with his clothes in rags, you know this guy has been playing for a while and is experienced. It's a great way to show vet status without detracting from the overall aesthetics. They have things like sunglasses and moustaches, bandanas, loads of things.

I would love BFV so much more if we had authentic uniforms, but with customisation like RO2:V. Differing shades of colour and stages of wear. I don't think it's an unreasonable wish, and I challenge anyone to say that the current uniform situation is better than that.

• Gunboken
    6 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    There's already a bunch of crap in the game that just looks absurd and lame like cannis horribles and some other edgy outfits so complaining of all things that you can have american uniform is kinda dumb. Why not complain then about everyone using the same weapons? Why not complain about British and Axis being the only ones covered in a multinational front? At least the uniform looks normal. Now the ratburner and that dumb ninja outfit they reward for denying the odds tiers are some next level silly stuff. That said I'm gonna get both of those and apply to all my peeps precisely because of how dumb it looks.
  • FragbaitDax
    223 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Geez people.
    Select Support Class
    Build a bridge.
  • Halcyon_Creed_N7
    1540 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    There's some people that I will never understand. They focus on the most minute unimportant details of a game, like the correct uniforms. No women in WW2. It's a game meant to be played for fun, not some kind of historical reenactment software.

The game has real legitimate issues with bugs and performance, yet this is what we get a response to? SMH
  • OrionPherrit
    460 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    If we will now be scavenging uniforms from the global garage sale regardless of nationality, we may as well go for broke and also choose from enemy accessories, just like we already mix & match enemy weapons.

Then Dice will have to bring back 3D spotting. With Brits wearing German regalia & vice-versa, the red or blue donut will be the only way to tell friend from foe. 😁
  • StealthAria
    576 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    People seem to forget that the factions never claim to be Britain or Germany and that most battles were fought with more than one country on a side.  That actually holds especially true for the Allies, the British almost never fought alone and even when they did they still had a significant amount of their equipment imported from America through lend-lease.

The American uniforms are a bit early -America has yet to join the war according to the ToW timeline and (to my knowledge) are not among the equipment leased during the war- but American equipment is far from out of place.  If anything, the game currently lacks much of the American tech it should have.  America leased the British everything from guns to tanks and planes during the early years of the war, with some of the most famous American designs actually being fielded more by the British than the Americans themselves. (eg everyone's favorite Sherman)

----------

On a related note, most of the "outlandish" customization options we saw in the original trailer had actual examples from the war.

The prosthetic arm was the exact model worn by one Allied officer (Popski or something) who not only continued to fight after ending up with a prosthetic, he infiltrated a German HQ disguised as an Italian and stole attack plans.  There's even stories of a pilot with prosthetic legs that got captured and escaped so many times they had to confiscate his legs.

It's a bit of a stretch but the katana may be in reference to Mad Jack, charging into battle equipped with nothing more than a longbow and claymore, playing bagpipes and intimidating the Germans into surrendering just by shouting at them.  Alternatively, it may have been shown off-faction and actually been an option meant for the Japanese or an American soldier carrying a captured weapon from the Pacific.

The facepaint -while most still remain, a few were scrapped- was also very much real, and also quite famous.  1st Demolition, 506th Parachute Infantry, 101st Airborne of the American Army -AKA the Filthy Thirteen- rather famously sported mohawks and Native American facepaint and even had a movie based on them. (though apperently down a member in it)

-------

Just because your class spent 30 minutes on the war that doesn't make you an expert, even if you've seen all the movies.  The war was fought of several fronts and lasted several years, covering it all would take nearly as long as the war itself and even then you wouldn't have actually learned everything because many of the tales have been buried and forgotten or twisted by PTSD and many long years undocumented.
  • full951
    2468 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    I know they got a lot of backlash for the garish skins in the reveal but imo they should just own it and release them all. Just say "we hear you, we'll make some cool ones like you want but our guys worked really hard on these so enjoy"
  • TropicPoison
    2505 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    The outcry regarding authenticity among the Battlefield community is embarrassing.

To be fair, dice did say that BFV was going to be the most authentic or was it immersive game to date...given BFV I don't think they know what either of those mean.
  • anken555
    60 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    People seem to forget that the factions never claim to be Britain or Germany and that most battles were fought with more than one country on a side.  That actually holds especially true for the Allies, the British almost never fought alone and even when they did they still had a significant amount of their equipment imported from America through lend-lease.

The American uniforms are a bit early -America has yet to join the war according to the ToW timeline and (to my knowledge) are not among the equipment leased during the war- but American equipment is far from out of place.  If anything, the game currently lacks much of the American tech it should have.  America leased the British everything from guns to tanks and planes during the early years of the war, with some of the most famous American designs actually being fielded more by the British than the Americans themselves. (eg everyone's favorite Sherman)

----------

On a related note, most of the "outlandish" customization options we saw in the original trailer had actual examples from the war.

The prosthetic arm was the exact model worn by one Allied officer (Popski or something) who not only continued to fight after ending up with a prosthetic, he infiltrated a German HQ disguised as an Italian and stole attack plans.  There's even stories of a pilot with prosthetic legs that got captured and escaped so many times they had to confiscate his legs.

It's a bit of a stretch but the katana may be in reference to Mad Jack, charging into battle equipped with nothing more than a longbow and claymore, playing bagpipes and intimidating the Germans into surrendering just by shouting at them.  Alternatively, it may have been shown off-faction and actually been an option meant for the Japanese or an American soldier carrying a captured weapon from the Pacific.

The facepaint -while most still remain, a few were scrapped- was also very much real, and also quite famous.  1st Demolition, 506th Parachute Infantry, 101st Airborne of the American Army -AKA the Filthy Thirteen- rather famously sported mohawks and Native American facepaint and even had a movie based on them. (though apperently down a member in it)

-------

Just because your class spent 30 minutes on the war that doesn't make you an expert, even if you've seen all the movies.  The war was fought of several fronts and lasted several years, covering it all would take nearly as long as the war itself and even then you wouldn't have actually learned everything because many of the tales have been buried and forgotten or twisted by PTSD and many long years undocumented.
    It would be easy for Dice to make an "allies faction" with diverses and authentic uniforms, instead of a "UK faction". 
    And please, don't be condescending...
  • Kongo030
    667 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    I think it reflects the fact that the game was rushed and the team probably scrutinized. Real fractions take more than skins but also voice overs etc. 
    It took a while for the French to arrive in BF1 but when they did it was properly done.
    In BF V the barely managed to create four 'elite' soldiers. The little output is a result of an understaffed team.
  • LowPingScrub
    13 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    So who is this community manager person?
  • Ferdinand_J_Foch
    3417 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    edited June 2019
    I'm not severely outraged at the overall 'authenticity' of the game's approach to WW2 (though I still question why DICE had to go down this route), but I think I'll say the same thing I said when EA responded to the backlash after the reveal trailer ...

I understand why they said this, but I don't think it was the right decision to say it out loud.

This was, of course, PatWelsh's personal opinion, and he is certainly entitled to it. However, his opinion does seem to be widespread at DICE, which is what I think is causing the current backlash. The game seems to reflect PatWelsh's opinion, but it also contradicts him at times. Yes, it is Axis vs Allies, yet we see a German Iron Cross and a British Flag as their icons. We see British and German flags on objectives. The Allies have obvious British accents, and they use British vehicles. The Axis soldiers speak in German, and they use German vehicles. If you look at the scoreboard during a match, it clearly tells you whether you're British or German. 

You see this in the concept art as well. The art takes a more stereotypical or grounded approach to WW2 for the most part, unlike a fair bit of the final product. I've seen some people saying that it seems DICE didn't really want to make a WW2 game, with others saying that the people working on the concept art and the people working on BFV had highly contrasting approaches to depicting this war.

At this rate, it might have been a better idea to truly make this game into an 'alternate history of WW2' sort of thing ... we could have all sorts of cosmetics, all sorts of unusual locations and even experimental tools of warfare. There would be little to no 'historical accuracy' outrage. DICE seems to want to do it's own thing, and such a setting would have allowed that, instead of a war that is known among the general population. Yes, BF1 had inaccuracies too, but WW1 was the 'Forgotten War' ... it's much harder for DICE this time around. Some of the cosmetics are so bizarre that even someone with a layman's understand of WW2 can tell that something is off. Of course, we also have some obscure authentic cosmetics that get mistaken for inaccurate gear, such as the German sniper mask from the Beta, or the recently revealed TOW Level 40 reward, which some have likened to a terrorist rather than the Dirlewanger Schutztaffel brigade soldier it is based on.

There's also some people who say that we should talk more about performance issues rather than cosmetic issues. Personally, I'm more concerned about performance issues as well, but it is possible to care about multiple things at once. DICE, like any other company, is capable of dealing with multiple problems at once ... or, at least it should be, even though it appears that the slightest of issues causes them massive headaches.
    Post edited by Ferdinand_J_Foch on
  • dcs500
    1511 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited June 2019

Not fussed about uniforms, but where does this BFV is an 'enjoyable video game' delusion come from?
  • ninjapenquinuk
    2231 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Apparently we are going to end up with British, US Pacific, German Andy Japanese factions. The problem is, shirt of the Brodie helmets, what we have is US Europe, and US Pacific. This is very disappointing. I for one was looking forward to having many uk and commonwealth options, but DICE obviously had other plans, or more likely haven't the resources so are just trotting out the horse do do
  • Mangrey
    210 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    The outcry regarding authenticity among the Battlefield community is embarrassing.
    why?....