Why is the AT Rifle even in the game?

ProAssassin2003
3865 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
edited June 2019
Ok. I'm currently getting this gun to Level 10 and the OP of this gun vs Infantry is so hilarious to me all the while it shoots harsh language at Tanks.

I have been going on insane Kill Streaks with this gun without any effort. It has been fun and hilarious just one shotting everything to death. But to my point it does so little damage to Tanks it should have never been put in the game. It serves no purpose. Because they can't make it powerful against Tanks as it then would be to OP against Tanks.

DICE please quit adding guns just because they look cool.

Comments

• bigiain
    384 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Is it the gun or the game?

Not to defend the gun, because that week it came out was incredibly annoying, but it's not that long range and you're forced to go prone to use it. You should be fodder for recons while using it. It's too common for tems to have no competent recons though.

I'd guess that it's in because it was part of the alleged original plan for chronological progress through the war. We'd have started with lightly armoured tanks and assaults with AT rifles. 
  • LankRich
    115 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    I agree. I think they should have added this weapon as a pick- up weapon. Like the Barrett 50.cal the or Tank- Gwehehehrvr from BF1. 

Those weapons were absolute monsters and could do serious damage, but they felt balanced as not everyone was able to use it at the same time
  • dayglowfroggy
    623 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I think it's boring and easy to take users down once you know were they are so not op in my opinion just another sniper.
  • TFBisquit
    2284 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    In a game where there is a heated debate about quick deaths and too fast ttk, I'm quite amazed they bring such a weapon to the table.
    Feels to me the devs are disconnected from this community and its wishes.
  • ElliotLH
    9554 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    I think it's a fuss about nothing largely, but that's just my opinion and I get that others feel differently. The gun feels balanced to me due to the slow ROF, drop and ADS limitations. Sure a competent player who knows to place themselves well will do good but I just don't think that's the case for everyone, based on what I've seen in-game.

For what it's worth I've put the Boys AT back in the toy-box after getting it gold. I felt that other than the 1HK potential the gun is average and there are better choices for me when playing Recon. I imagine use of this gun will drop off drastically pretty soon if it hasn't already.
  • OrionPherrit
    460 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    It’s our new Tankgewehr, like the 1s used by the Assassin’s Creed rejects & wannabes from BF1. Annoying how it’s mostly used for anti-personnel instead of anti-materiel, but the same thing happened to RPG7 in real life when M1 tanks got thicker armor.

I don’t Recon much, but when obliged to, I’d rather run with the Boys to get my sweet spot back.
  • Moorlander
    126 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    It's just a different play style really. I'm older and my reactions are too slow to run and gun. Instead I use this gun to play scout strategically. I drop spawn beacons, provide a spawn point fairly close to the objective, and stop tanks repairing so teammates can finish them off. I also spot like crazy with the scope. I can't do this with the other sniper rifles as by the time I get one shot off which doesn't kill, I'm dead meat, so it isn't viable. This gun has enticed me away from BF1 (which I had largely gone back too); and renewed my interest in BFV which had all but disappeared prior to it's introduction.
  • tempo_rarity
    1365 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I was really hoping that the Boys would have the same anti-aircraft qualities like the Rorsch in BF4 does .
    Dishing out 42 damage on a passing plane here in V means I'll keep running with it , at least until I kill a plane with it  :lol:
    I figure if I'm camped and 'closing a door' (sealing a route) with it , I might as well take pot shots at those flying passersby . 
  • Maretex
    29 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield Member
    The AT Boys rifle is currently ok. Not "OP", but certainly not a bad gun. But it does lack "anti-material" utility indeed. It should give more damage to tanks and vehicles overall (maybe a huge damage to planes?). Also, the player should carry way less ammo (5+1 mag and 15 or even 10 total after resupply).
  • NuttysKunKs
    566 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    It’s does high damage against light tanks.
  • ProAssassin2003
    3865 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    bigiain wrote: »
    Is it the gun or the game?

Not to defend the gun, because that week it came out was incredibly annoying, but it's not that long range and you're forced to go prone to use it. You should be fodder for recons while using it. It's too common for tems to have no competent recons though.

I'd guess that it's in because it was part of the alleged original plan for chronological progress through the war. We'd have started with lightly armoured tanks and assaults with AT rifles. 

It's pretty long Range expecially if you get headshots.
  • ProAssassin2003
    TFBisquit wrote: »
    In a game where there is a heated debate about quick deaths and too fast ttk, I'm quite amazed they bring such a weapon to the table.Feels to me the devs are disconnected from this community and its wishes.

It should be a gadget with higher Power against Tanks but with low ammo count
  • M_Rat13
    1505 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    TFBisquit said:
    In a game where there is a heated debate about quick deaths and too fast ttk, I'm quite amazed they bring such a weapon to the table.
    Feels to me the devs are disconnected from this community and its wishes.

Actually, it's a TTD that's the problem. Becuase of 'super bullets', people feel they are getting one shotted, and that's what people don't like. BF4 has fast TTK and that was considered fine. One shots however, are not. It's why shotguns, BA rifles, and now this AT rifle, are hated so much. However, I'll add that to me, fast TTK and one shots feel similar, so people who like fast TTK but not one shots make me chuckle lol.
  • Halcyon_Creed_N7
    1545 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    I haven't used it very much, mine's only like rank 3, and I've shot at a couple tanks and done no damage at all. What?

I mean, I have no clue what the actual damage values are, but in my mind they should be like 8-9 damage and 10-12 with the AP specialization. That's not a ton of damage, but it's enough to lend a helping hand to your team attacking a tank, or to harass long distance hill campers.
  • superteds
    1218 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    I haven't used it very much, mine's only like rank 3, and I've shot at a couple tanks and done no damage at all. What?

I mean, I have no clue what the actual damage values are, but in my mind they should be like 8-9 damage and 10-12 with the AP specialization. That's not a ton of damage, but it's enough to lend a helping hand to your team attacking a tank, or to harass long distance hill campers.
    solo they can do significant damage to cars, trucks and light tanks. hit weakspots on mediums and heavys and they can do some damage there too, but make them much stronger and you've basically made an AT weapon that tanks can't defend against. 

personally i think the boys is fine, maybe a touch less OHK range to infantry but honestly you have to bipod, it's slow to reload, it's really obvious on firing and so on...
  • DayZEternal1
    121 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    I think they should limit its 1-shot potential at a much closer range (Say 0m-20m until damage starts to decline), while also slightly increasing the damage it does against vehicles.