Gaming laptop performance

BassMan_PC
193 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
edited July 4
Anybody able to run this game smoothly in multiplayer on a laptop?  My current laptop specs are:

-

i7-7700HQ (4C/8T)
16GB DDR4 2400 CL14 Dual Channel
GTX 1070
128GB NVME
1TB SATA SSD (BFV install)

-

I get frame rates in the 70s and 80s at 1440p, but it feels like trash.  Massive stutters/hitching and slowdowns.  My laptop CPU is a major bottleneck and the game runs way better on my desktop rig.  I am thinking about selling the laptop and getting a new one.  I am looking at an i7-9750H (6C/12T) and RTX 2070 combo for a future laptop.  However, it will not be worth it for me if it does not run BFV smoothly in MP.

-

So... Anybody with a high spec laptop  that can run BFV smoothly in MP?  If so, please list the specs of your laptop.

Post edited by BassMan_PC on

Comments

• Sk1lld
    560 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    My understanding is, laptops can be used for gaming. It is not a hardware issue with laptops it's a heat issue. They are too small to adequately dissipate heat. If you can find one that has good circulation maybe, but throttling may still be an issue. Which I suspect is your issue now.
  • Nutcrusherr
    287 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    No heat issue.. laptops nowadays can manage heat.. mine did. It was an msi apache and never went more than 70c°.
    Bf v runs bad on high end pcs as well at the moment. Nothing u can do. Its dice's job to optimize their game, not yours..
  • BassMan_PC
    193 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited July 5
    Here is the Afterburner telemetry...

As you can see, my frame times are all over the place, but my frame rate is not having huge fluctuations.  Temps are high, but it is not throttling.  I am running fans on max, -140mV offset, and 3 AVX offset in XTU.  I have G-Sync enabled and I am also running Intelligent Standby List Cleaner.  It feels terrible when I am playing.
    Post edited by BassMan_PC on
  • YourLocalPlumber
    3121 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    edited July 5
    Try running with DX11+Future Frame Rendering. Also, BF5 is an AVX load, so your offset applies 0.3Ghz downgrade when running BF5. 

But your CPU simply can't keep up with this game. You need something better in order to run it. 4c/8c at 3.4Ghz isn't cutting it, which results in terrible frame times.
  • BassMan_PC
    Try running with DX11+Future Frame Rendering. Also, BF5 is an AVX load, so your offset applies 0.3Ghz downgrade when running BF5. 

But your CPU simply can't keep up with this game. You need something better in order to run it. 4c/8c at 3.4Ghz isn't cutting it, which results in terrible frame times.
    I use the AVX offset to try and keep the temps down and avoid thermal throttling.  BFV is a pig when it comes to CPU usage and laptops don't exactly have good CPUs.  That is why I am wondering if it is even worthwhile to upgrade to a 6C/12T laptop.  I want to know if the game can run good on a laptop. My desktop rig is 9900K and 2080 Ti.  Night and day difference between it and the laptop.  However even it doesn't run the game fully smooth as the game has frame pacing issues in general as evidenced in this thread... https://forums.battlefield.com/en-us/discussion/190472/is-this-the-stuttering-everyone-is-talking-about-comparison-inside#latest
  • DaChileanSeabass
    165 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Ok i have a i7 6700hq, it hits 3.1 on all 4 with HT but my temps DO NOT reach almost 100c, i get from 65-70ish but never above 80. Same case with gpu which is gtx1070. Are your fans maxed and enough air going out?
  • Nutcrusherr
    287 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Ok i have a i7 6700hq, it hits 3.1 on all 4 with HT but my temps DO NOT reach almost 100c, i get from 65-70ish but never above 80. Same case with gpu which is gtx1070. Are your fans maxed and enough air going out?

I had the same processor in my msi laptop. Never had any thermal issues.. looking the pic above 90c° is not okay, specially for a new laptop..
  • BassMan_PC
    The laptop is an Asus ROG Strix GL702VS and it is known for bad cooling.  BFV is the only game where the temps get so high as it stresses both the CPU and GPU to max usage. 
  • Demisor
    5 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Hey, I'm running a helios 300 laptop (1060 with 8300H @ 3.7ghz with a 125mV undevolt, repasted). No overheating. I've found that the game is quite stable with dx11 and FFR ON but also with dx12 and FFR OFF. You have a 1070 --> put GPU MEMORY RESTRICTION OFF (this has helped most with stutters and fps drops)! GL!
  • Demisor
    5 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited July 16
    Also, dx11 with FFR ON gives me input lag. For reference, I get an average of 70 (55-110) fps with drops to 45 in super heavy firefights with dx12 with a cpu usage of around 80% with spikes to 95%.